Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"The DaVinci Code" actor calls for a disclaimer...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 19, 2006 04:45PM

on the BIble : [newsbusters.org]

A "Da Vinci Code" cast member added fuel to the firestorm when he said the Bible should carry a disclaimer. Actor Ian McKellen made the statement during an NBC "Today Show" interview after Matt Lauer asked whether the movie should have a disclaimer saying it is fiction. "Well, I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying this is fiction," McKellen said. "I mean, walking on water, it takes an act of faith. And I have faith in this movie. Not that it's true, not that it's factual, but that it's a jolly good story. And I think audiences are clever enough and bright enough to separate out fact and fiction, and discuss the thing after they've seen it."

heh heh

Originally found out about this (since I don't watch the news) here : [forums.civfanatics.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2006 04:46PM by NNNNNarz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "The DaVinci Code" actor calls for a disclaimer...
Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: May 19, 2006 08:31PM

I wouldn't necessarily go as far to say that the Bible is fiction, nor would I say that it is infallible... At any rate, I do look forward to the Davinci Code smiling smiley

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: May 19, 2006 10:31PM

Of course the bible is fiction; badly written fiction at that. But in any case, I am personally quite glad that I don't know what that 'davinci code' book is about, let alone the film.

Date: May 19, 2006 10:42PM

You are glad that you don't know what the davinci code is about... uh, why?

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: May 19, 2006 11:47PM

Because the specific attitudes inherent in the hype surrounding it repels me. It is all part of an imagined community which I cannot deride enough.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2006 11:48PM by dream earth.

Posted by: YogaLee ()
Date: May 20, 2006 07:40AM

Having read Holy Blood Holy Grail over 15 years ago (damn shame the plagerism suit was lost...the devinci author Brown stole the theories lock stock and barrel from Holy Blood)

The story (theory) is a good one.

The hype is stupid.

People will ultimately believe what they want and will draw their own conclusions.

Posted by: deeds ()
Date: May 20, 2006 03:25PM

my friend visited jesus' grave in kashmir

at least that's what her guide told her

they we're walking in the mountains when he suddenly threw his arm out to the side, indexing the landscape that spread out before them, and casually said:

"and over there is jesus' grave"

Date: May 20, 2006 08:49PM

Ok Dream Earth, thanks for the clarification.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: May 21, 2006 01:30AM

Hey Narz,

Assuming you agree with this actor (I think you do based on your past posts), I find it ironic that someone who believes the Bible to be fiction follows Genesis 1:29 so closely. winking smiley

(I'm not defending the Bible, BTW -- just making an observation.)

Date: May 21, 2006 05:15PM

following genesis 1:29?

Date: May 21, 2006 06:22PM

i didn't know you followed genesis 1:29, nnnnnarz

well well, you learn something new every day, eh? winking smiley

who can separate truth from fiction anyway?

sometimes truths are best told through fiction

also wanted to add

ian mckellen is cool

good point he makes

i've always liked his vibe

and he's a brilliant actor

yeah! ian!

rawk onNN!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 22, 2006 05:55AM

learningtofly says genesis 1:29

narz says "genesis 1:29?)

check it out:

" Then God said " Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth and every tree which has fruit yielding seed ; it shall be food for you"

Genesis 1:29

Date: May 22, 2006 12:47PM

aha

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: May 23, 2006 05:02PM

This conversation is sooo funny. I have been to see the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also read the book. I wasn't aware of the other book mentioned but I will look into it for validity. Funny thing is that, as a Jew, I was exited that, for once, we weren't the bad guys in the movie. However, it turned out to be a fun and entertaining 2 1/2 hour ride that I highly recommend. Remember folks to question everything in life. Question how many times the bible was translated. Question why so many books like the books of Mary, Thomas, and Constantine were left out of the Master book. Question why we heard so much about Mary until the death of Jesus. Yes, and even question if Jesus was "invented" to force mankind into submission. We should question everything in life. It's not so far fetched that Mary could have married Jesus and had children by him. This topic is not new. However, for the Roman Church to acknowledge that Mary was not a prostitute, which she wasn't, and fathered a child by Jesus would rock the whole, dang foundation of the vatican.

Anyway, my point... question everything. This time, in our lives, will go in the history books as the time when mankind started asking "Why" again.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: May 23, 2006 05:59PM

I am also of the school of thought that one should not stop seeking information of a certain subject unless one already knows that subject perfectly. And I use the word "know" as it should be used - to actually have 100% certainty about something.

Date: May 23, 2006 07:16PM

I know what you mean.

...I think.

winking smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 24, 2006 01:15AM

i know everything
100%
just ask me
uhhhh... what was i saying?

anyhow.. oh yeah, i know eveything
just ask me

and i'll tell you
uhhhh... if i'm in the right mood , that is

Date: May 24, 2006 01:55AM

I could use some clarification with my New Year's Resolution...

Date: May 24, 2006 12:12PM

"for the Roman Church to acknowledge that Mary was not a prostitute, which she wasn't, and fathered a child by Jesus would rock the whole, dang foundation of the vatican. "

if by ROCK THE WHOLE you mean shock the socks offa people to hear them admit that they made a mistake and have been lying all these years, then yes.
the book was good, i don't see how the movie could possibly top it but i'll give it a watch when it comes out on video.
i just think it's silly for someone to try telling someone else how to be spiritual or, even worse, try to capitalize on it. i mean, that's just icky.

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: May 24, 2006 03:52PM

coco,

I do so agree with you and yes, you hit the nail right on the head with your answer about how the vatican would never admit they made a mistake. After all, they're still lying about all the holocaust gold stored away in vaults in switzerland. Anyway, I do believe that things that make us ask why are good for us regardless of whether we have an affiliation or none.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables