Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

It's even cold in Maui...we got snow!!!
Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: January 31, 2008 07:14PM

I know it's not nearly as cold here as it is in the northern latitudes, but for here it has been really chilly. I used my oven for the first time since being raw... not to cook, but just to warm up my apartment! These picks are of the volcano about 7000 ft above where I live...but only a few miles as the crow flies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 07:14PM by MauiGreg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It's even cold in Maui...we got snow!!!
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 31, 2008 07:33PM

Beautiful pictures, Greg!

I know! It's cold here on the Big Island too, especially in the morning. It's like this every year though here. This time of year, we always say, "What's with this cold stuff? This is supposed to be Hawaii!"

LOL. It must be 65 at night! Lucky we live Hawaii!

PS: We can see Mauna Kea from our window. Snow there too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 07:36PM by suncloud.

Date: January 31, 2008 07:58PM

Aloha suncloud!

It's actually been in the mid to low 50's in Makawao at about 2000 feet! When I lived on the West Side I never slept under my comforter... I just used it to cover my unmade bed! ...now that I live upcountry I've been using it and for the last week I've added an extra blanket... and for the last 3 nights I've had to add an additional comforter, then a few beach towels at the bottom of the bed for my feet, and i actually wore some clothes to bed!

It makes me wonder how I was able to live for 7 cold years in a cabin in Vermont with no electricity or running water...I've totally wimped out!!!

I was up on Haleakala last weekend doing some volunteer reforestation work and there was an incredible view of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa covered in snow...so beautiful. This week the road up to the summit has been jammed with local Hawaiians showing their kids snow for the first time.

Aloha, Greg

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 01, 2008 04:09PM

oh my gosh
wow..never seen a picture like that of hawaii ( its always the sun and surf pictures that i see ha hasmiling smiley

the ghostly lime tint looks like it is swarming on the first pic and also seems like i see chameleons and shadows of buffalos moving towards the ice white

okay... so my question is : can you tell me what the history has been so far concerning the occurrence of snow in hawaii ?

is it a rarity for snow to fall there during the winter? i don't know much at all. i've never been there ( though i wish to)

Date: February 01, 2008 08:01PM

Aloha...A-Snow_ha....LaV,

I think that the Big Island gets snow on the summits (Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea) every year... suncloud could confirm this. The volcanoes there are about 3000 feet higher than Haleakala on Maui, which is only 10,029 feet above sea level. We get snow on Maui about once every 5-6 years or so, but it never seems to last more than a few days. I'm not sure how to verify this, but I've heard many times that the Hawaiian Islands have 13 of the 15 recognized climate types. The variety is wonderful. Just last weekend i was planting trees at about 8,000 feet, just below where the snow was. Later that day we went camping in a dry coastal forest habitat, and when we drove out the next day we went through a tropical rainforest (that's where the pedal powered smoothie stand was). So cool the be on a warm beach and look up at the snow in the mountains.

This picture of me was in our local paper Monday... not the type of attire you would associate with Maui.

Date: February 02, 2008 12:32AM

maui greg

13 out of the fifteen climates? wow.. no i had no idea
i just hear of all the stereotypical sun surf and palm trees and nice and sunny all the time LOL !!

what kind of trees there that u r planting? aoli seedlings? never heard
they look purty though nice leaves...

snow on top summit every 5 years or so... hmmm.. so interesting.. snow snow

snow

the raven's song is made of snow

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: February 02, 2008 01:09PM

Trade ya for our two feet of snow!! (Spokane, WA)

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 02, 2008 01:16PM

Meow meaow....yeah...we really feel sorry for the "poor schlubs" in Hawaii.

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Date: February 02, 2008 06:50PM

Hey Brother enlightenment... not looking for sympathy, just sharing an experience. I love living here and wouldn't trade my life for anything.

...reading many of your posts leaves me wondering if your screen-name is just an exercise in irony.

Aloha

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 03, 2008 01:41PM

Ahhh....the ultra-subtlety of defensiveness, sarcasm and passive aggressiveness.

I'm guessing that IronyNow is not taken, if you want to create the screenname.

In the meantime, I suggest that you wake up and smell the coffee, rain, and sunshine. It is not the same as it was yesterday or tomorrow, because those things (yesterday & tomorrow) do not exist.

Someone such as you is clearly nearly inextricably lost in the inner-windings of the mind, but.....

....you are also the closest.....

to awakening.

Good luck.

I might recommend listening to some of what I've posted on my "Help Along the WAy" pages.....and...

..as always..... I recommend listening to .....

The Power of Now.

With subtle & intense Love,
Paul

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Date: February 04, 2008 07:02PM

EnlightenmentNow Said; "Someone such as you is clearly nearly inextricably lost in the inner-windings of the mind"

You do not know anything about me and therefore are not qualified to make any observations or comments about where you think I may be on my journey. How's that for subtle. Don't attack me and then claim enlightenment because i choose to defend myself.

I commented on the irony of your chosen screen-name because to this point I have seen absolutely nothing "enlightened" in your words. Your posts rarely have anything to do with the content of the thread. In a thread started by someone struggling with an eating disorder, you claim that there is no such thing. In a thread about apple cider vinegar you claim that it would be OK to drink bleach as long as you don't fear the unknown. Your posts have the tone of a spoiled, self-absorbed child running around yelling "mommy look at me! I'm enlightened! I'm enlightened". There are people who talk and there are people who do...you are all talk my friend.

You are obviously excited that you have found the work of Tolle, that's wonderful, but don't assume that no one else has heard of him. I have read "The Power of Now" several times and obviously we have taken different lessons from his words.

In my opinion, you seem to derive your feeling of enlightenment by claiming a pompous sense of superiority over everyone else... why don't you come down off that high horse and just walk the path? ...or at least add something relevant to the conversation.

good luck, Greg

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 04, 2008 09:50PM

oh. i stumbled across a... well, i don't rightly know what this is.

i just came in here to read your latest greg my friend and to admire your new signature photograph some more 'cause i am lovin' that. guess i can still do that while i'm here.

and also i wanted to pass this info along to you, perhaps you'll spread the word round to any interested parties. my good friend is an incredible aerialist, she performs way up high and teaches, even kids. this is worth checking out and if i was there i would attend myself. but maybe since i'm far far away you'll go for me? and give rebecca (aka a girl in the sky) a big hug and a kiss from me.

I'm writing this email to tell you all about something I'm very excited about, a Circus Retreat in Hawaii, March 2008! I have been visiting this magical place for the past 5 years and have finally found a way to share the joy of doing one of the most body, mind and spirit satisfying activities…circus…in one of the most beautiful spots on the planet…Hawaii.
We are a group of circus artists and instructors from Canada who have partnered with Hiccup Circus in Hawaii on the Big Island. We will be running Hawaii's first adult Circus Retreat in the newly constructed Seaview Performance Art Center for Education (SPACE) at Belly Acres, a creative and enriched community created by travelling street performers. We are bringing a team of experienced instructors specializing in aerial arts, theatre, capoeira, acrobatics, dance, yoga and Pilates and collaborating with local guest instructors in juggling, hula, partner yoga and more. Although the circus part is our area of expertise, the retreat is not just about circus, there are a number of other activities available (e.g. yoga, dance, capoeira, surfing...) and the idea is to tailor your own health & wellness experience in the beautiful setting of Hawaii.

But enough from me, more information is available at our (under construction) website at www.hawaiicircus.com and I'm also sending along a pdf of our flyer and you can check it out as well!

This is something we're thrilled to be able to offer, so if you know of anybody that might be interested in hearing about this unique opportunity please pass this email on and spread the word!

A portion of the proceeds from the Retreat will go towards helping underprivileged kids in Hawaii acquire access to the arts.

Thank you!
Rebecca Leonard

and greg, i think you're awesome. one of the people here who keep my coming back despite the bs that sometimes gets run into. ah well, just like real life eh? some people you can live without.

Date: February 04, 2008 10:04PM

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for planting all those trees!!!!!!!!smiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley.

Veronique, on the Big Island, I think we do get snow on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa every year. In fact, mauna kea means, "white mountain".

Greg, I come from a background similar to you before moving to Hawaii. Several winters in the cold country (Montana, Colorado, Vermont, and Oregon) without electricity or running water (except in Colorado). In Vermont, I remember having to go outside and break ice over the creek every morning to get water for the house.

A few winters like that will sure make a person appreciate the nice warm sun! For a while, I thought my bones would never warm up!

I lived in Texas afterwards for 9 years, but Hawaii is warmer year round.

PS: It's been raining here for 3 days straight. Guess no place is perfect ALL the time. We're on solar and trying to conserve, so I have to go now! Just thought I'd stop in to say Hi, and thanks again for planting the trees!

Date: February 04, 2008 10:06PM

Thanks Coco... I think you are awesome as well. I've always enjoyed your posts, and ever since I read your unassisted birth story, I've been in absolute awe...great crafts as well!

I will certainly pass this info around as i have several friends with little ones. I'm on Maui, but Suncloud and DreamEarth live on the Big Island so I will try to pass this on to them. It sounds like a wonderful project... I would be into it if I weren't so frightened of clowns...odd, but it's always been a weird phobia of mine...maybe too many scary movies as a kid or maybe just the big floppy shoes...i have no idea where it came from.

...and I'm glad you like the signature pic. i took that when I was camping last weekend... reminds me of the Pink Floyd song "...just another brick in the wall"

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Date: February 04, 2008 10:13PM

Coco, just saw your post!

Yes, I'd recommend the circus retreat to anyone who's able to make it. Hiccup Circus at Belly Acres has been here for many, many years, and offers great activities and entertainment for everybody!

Date: February 04, 2008 10:14PM

Aloha suncloud! Guess were onloine at the same time.

Did you read coco's post about the circus workshop for kids on the Big Island? The post right above yours. Sounds fun...i don't know if you know some little ones who would be interested, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

It's been raining here all week too. Some days we were getting several inches over the course of only an hour or two.

It's always my pleasure to plant some trees. i think it worked perfectly that the rain came in the following week. That area was destroyed by a fire last year and then further impacted by the flooding rains in early December. it's always been a favorite place for me and my friends to camp.

Where/when did you live in Vermont? I lived outside of Plainfield (went to Goddard college). I lived in a cabin for a long time there and would have to break the ice in the well to get water. Brrrrr. Makes me appreciate it here that much more!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Date: February 04, 2008 10:15PM

wow suncloud...you're quick! One step ahead of me..haha

Date: February 05, 2008 12:07AM

oh ha, there aren't going to be any clowns i don't think and this retreat is for adults though rebecca does teach children as well.

my son just saw your pic and said "a face in the rocks? that's funny, a head in the rocks!"

greg, did you see my latest horrible monster? i added it to flickr the other day, it's truly bizarre and slightly gruesome but i LOVE IT!

and there is a lot of snow here today. a LOT.

Date: February 05, 2008 12:32AM

hey coco, I didn't see anything I thought was a gruesome monster... was it the Herman Monster piece? That was cool. I really like the gingerbread person with the bite out of their head....ouch! you're crafts are so cool!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Date: February 05, 2008 02:48AM

it's a zombie bunny, a custom creature i did for a swap. his guts are hanging outtongue sticking out smiley. i just added him the other day.

i love those gingerbread people too, they're so fun!

Date: February 05, 2008 03:19AM

Hey there coco, Just checked out the bunny...very cool. I guess I didn't notice the guts the first time...must be an honest bunny to so freely spill his guts like that...haha.

This picture is for your son...it was taken on the same beach the same day as my signature pic... now that's a face in the rocks!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2008 03:20AM by MauiGreg.

Date: February 05, 2008 11:25AM

maui greg:

i like that face in the rocks
seems as if i were to go up to that face and say hello
it would, at first seem grumpy but then we would become friends and then the face in the rocks would seem like a happy smily face even if it looked like someone just woke it up from its sleep LOL smiling smiley

I like your signature quote very much.

<<The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” Albert Camus>>

that sentence is in and of itself an act of rebellion

Date: February 05, 2008 01:38PM

little says "Cool!"

Date: February 05, 2008 10:45PM

Greg those are such beautiful pictures! The face in the rock shot is amazing smiling smiley

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: February 08, 2008 08:40AM

Sorry Greg, it took me awhile to answer your questions! smiling smiley

I'm pretty sure I was in Vermont for the winter of 1973-74. I can't remember the name of the nearest town, but it must have been somewhere near Goddard, because my friend went to school there. My friend also worked part time at the radio station. I went to the campus with him one day, and I remember attending a class on windmill design. Really pretty campus!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables