Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

DEAL OR NO DEAL
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 25, 2008 02:02AM

THIS GAME SHOW HAS GOT TO BE THE MOST PATHETIC DISPLAY OF AMERICAN GREED I HAVE EVER SEEN.NO WONDER TERRORISTS FROM OTHER LANDS ARE TRYING TO BOMB OUR MAIN CENTERS OF COMMERCE AND GOVERNMENT.I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT THIS IS MONDAY NIGHT PRIME TIME TV ANYMORE.
ITS ONLY THE FOODS OF THE EARTH THAT GIVE ME ANY KIND OF GROUNDING ANYMORE.
THOUGHTS. OPINIONS?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 02:05AM by Raw1228.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DEAL OR NO DEAL
Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: March 25, 2008 02:51AM

get rid of your TV!!!!

you can download anything specific that you want to watch from the internet ...without the commercials.

Join netflix if you want visual entertainment, they have an awesome selection of documentaries...lots of Dalai Lama videos, good independent films... much more uplifting choices than TV.

I canceled my cable last month and have never felt better. I have more time for reading and other more interactive and enriching activities. All I ever watched regularly was John Stewart/Stephen Colbert anyway and you can download those from itunes or a torrent site. Otherwise it was too easy to just veg-out and let the TV execs have their way with my thoughts.

I think this culture has turned TV watching into a twisted type of group prayer... millions of people focused, all at the same time, on violence, greed, stupidity.

Just say Know!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Date: March 25, 2008 03:46AM

oh yeah, kill that TV, set yourself free!!!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 25, 2008 07:55AM

never heard of deal or no deal

have not had a tv forever

i'm not missing out

i have heard that there are these "support groups" ( no kidding!) where they try to support each other to watch less television

they could just get rid of it completely instead of wasting their precious time in these support groups... that makes more sense to me

here is the "DEAL": get rid of your television or else

game is over ( you've wasted your life)

LOL smiling smiley

Date: March 25, 2008 02:30PM

Thanks folks.

Date: March 25, 2008 03:58PM

I never had a tv either. The real deal, game, and fun is not having one!

elnatural

Date: March 25, 2008 05:29PM

I am increasingly seeing that tv has got to go.
Its not just greedy game shows,but the look of it all these days...
All that flashing and spinning and zooming.
Its enough to make a person sick,or trigger a seizure of some kind!

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: March 25, 2008 08:54PM

MauiGreg you are wise and a blessing to all. I've never had a T.V and don't find it supprising to hear that there are many like minded people in the raw community either. I think that you can look at your whole life culture as a condition of your welbeing, and that every choice that you make in your life has a collective effect on your experience.

So when you involve yourself in a particular activity or medium wether it is your entertainment, company or living environment which premotes a "negative" outlook on life, that this is essentialy what you are helping to foster. I believe in cultivating the ideals that one wishes to experience, in what ever shape that has for an individual and abstaining from the rest.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: March 25, 2008 11:55PM

Thanks Lightform! ...right back at ya!

I've been thinking about TV and group consciousness a lot lately. Not just TV, but mass culture. I think it started when I read about a meditation experiment in Washington DC, where several thousand people came together and focused on lowering the violent crime rate... and indeed there was a reduction in violent crime of over 20%.

So it got me thinking about how every day millions and millions of people are intently focused on the messages of our mass culture. This is essentially a massive group meditation with a mantra of war, violence, hatred, greed, intolerance, disease. And yet when the media giants are asked why that's the only message they are sending, the reply is always "we give the people what they want"... whether it's gangsta rap, slasher films, reality TV that glorifies dysfunctional families, or graphic news footage of personal tragedies. This is nothing short of an energetic virus that has infected the spirit of most of humanity. We need to do more than just turn it off...we need to turn it around!

Since I cancelled my cable service, I don't know what to do with my TV. I thought about donating it to one of the charitable second hand stores, but it feels like it would be the same as donating a loaded gun.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: March 26, 2008 12:35AM

Editor's note: The book Amusing Ourselves to Death, by Neil Postman, was first published in 1985. I just stumbled upon it last week. What follows is a short excerpt from the introduction to the Twentieth Anniversary Edition by Neil's son Andrew, and the brief Forward to the book by Neil. I highly recommend this book. - MAN

Introduction - by Andrew Postman

Now this?

A book of social commentary published twenty years ago? You're not busy enough writing emails, returning calls, downloading tunes, playing games (online, PlayStation Game Boy), checking out websites, sending text messages, IM'ing, Tivoing, watching what you've Tivoed, browing through magazines and newspapers, reading new books - now you've got to stop and read a book that first appeared in the last century, not to mention the last millennium? Come on. Like your outlook on today could seriously be rocked by this plain-spoken provocation about The World in 1985, a world yet to be infiltrated by the Internet, cell phones, PDAs, cable channels by the hundreds, DVDs, call-waiting, caller ID, blogs, flat-screens, HDTV, and iPods? Is it really plausible that this slim volume, with its once-urgent premonitions about the nuanced and deep-seated perils of television, could feel timely today, the age of Computers? Is it really plausing that this book about how TV is turning all public life (education, religion, politics, journalism) into entertainment; how the image is undermining other forms of communication, particularly the written word; and how ouar bottomless appetite for TV will make content so abundantly available, context be damned, that we'll be overwhelmed by "information glut" until what is truly meaningful is lost and we no longer care what we've lost as long as we're being amused...Can such a book possibly have relevance to you and The World in 2006 and beyond?

I think you've answered your own question...

Foreword - by Neil Postman, 1985

We were keeping our eye on 1984. When the year came and the prophecy didn't, thoughtful Americans sang softly in praise of themselves. The roots of liberal democracy had held. Wherever else the terror had happened, we, at least had not been visited by Orwellian nightmares.

But we had forgotten that alongside Orwell's dark vision, there was another -- slightly less known, equally chilling: Aldous Huxley's Brave New World Contrary to common belief even among the educated, Huxley and Orwell did not prophesy the same thing. Orwell warns that we will be overcome by an externally imposed oppression. But in Huxley's vision, no Big Brother is required to deprive people of their autonomy, maturity and history. As he saw it, people will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacity to think.

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Huxley added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we hate will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us.

This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.

[www.amazon.com]

It would seem to me that there are many elements of both Huxley and Orwell in the world today unfortunately.

Cheers,
J

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables