Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What Laundry Detergent Brand Do You Use?
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: May 01, 2008 01:40PM

What laundry detergent brand do you use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Laundry Detergent Brand Do You Use?
Posted by: Leesah ()
Date: May 01, 2008 01:44PM

I use Ecover. It has a pleasant smell and isn't too pricey.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 01, 2008 02:04PM

I shop at Publix for all my Organic Produce. I also support them by buying their brand of liquid laundry deterent. It's called Free&Clear......WY

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 01, 2008 03:01PM

ecover

Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: May 01, 2008 03:16PM

I tried using Ecover. But, since my I'm grateful to have a husband who washes the clothes, he's convinced that clothes are not clean if there are no suds. He over used the soap to try to get the suds. Unfortunately, we used Tide. I am trying to sneak in some Indigo Wild brand laundry detergent. Maybe they have more suds. smiling smiley
[www.indigowild.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 01, 2008 03:59PM

Right: Whatever Free n' Clear brand is on sale.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Haida ()
Date: May 01, 2008 04:05PM

Ecover. Its inexpensive and I can find it at the supermarket near my home.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: May 01, 2008 04:23PM

dr bronners all purpose liquid soap.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 01, 2008 05:38PM

Maggie's Soap Nuts. They are round and brown and grow on trees. Laundry comes out great!

[www.maggiespureland.com]

You can buy them on amazon.com

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: May 01, 2008 06:18PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right: Whatever Free n' Clear brand is on sale.

I'm with Dave on shopping like this, but since I spend a lot of time "in the field" I usually doctor what ever I purchase with a tiny bit of pine oil based detergent.
By the time the laundry is dry I can't smell it but the bugs can
and hopefully its enough to dissolve Poison Ivy resin.

I've found that if I use anything with an artificial scent in it the bugs are attracted to me thinking that I'm food.

I had to hunt around to find oils of plants that not only were affordable to use as bug repellent and Poison ivy resin solvent this way but that didn't have an adverse affect on my own and the rest of my family's health.
Your milage is probably going to vary.

Dr, Bronner's is fine for washing my body (and if I know for sure I've had contact with Poison Ivy I will resort to rinsing with bleach) but I'd quickly go broke if I used Dr. Bronner's in the laundry.

There used to be ceramic disks one could buy and put in the laundry with dirty clothing that were said to get the clothing clean. I'd use them with about no more than a tablespoon of detergent and maybe some laundry enzymes if the clothing was really dirty, but that was back in the days before I spent my days crawling around in the wilderness.

Their effectiveness wore out after a given amount of using.
I haven't seen them in the stores for a long time.

Here's something I found interesting. If your clothing is 100% cotton and it isn't soft after its dry, what could be causing the stiffness is residual soap. I run my laundry through two final rinses to get all the soap out.

I've been looking into a hand operated spinning devise that I've seen sold in a store that caters to the Amish that builds up a vacuum as you spin it and drives most of the water out (hopefully with most of the residual soap too).

Its not very big and would make my time spent doing laundry quite a bit longer, but its either that, use all that water rinsing, or invest in a very expensive washing machine with an engine way powerful than any washing machine I've ever seen before.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 01, 2008 07:08PM

I got Seventh Generation... it was the cheapest all-natural detergent I could find at Whole Foods.

I HAD to quit the regular stuff because it started making my skin itch. I couldn't wear pants and shirts without scratching.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: May 01, 2008 08:31PM

We're taking a break from laundry detergent and just using borax, to see if my daughter's itchy skin could clear up. It has!

I once read that there's enough residual soap left in laundry that you can wash items up to five times and there's still soap in the water. If that's true, it's no wonder she was itching.

In the past, when we've run out of laundry detergent, we've used Dr. Bronner's soap,too. I agree it's too expensive to use all the time for our budget, however.

Just so you know, so far the laundry is all getting clean and smelling fresh just by using the borax. I don't know if this will work long-term, or not, but we'll see. If anyone knows why it's not a good idea to wash with just borax, please let me know. I didn't research the reasons for using/not using laundry detergent before we tried this little experiment.

Lots of love to all of you!

Wendi Dee
XOXOXO

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 01, 2008 09:34PM

Of course I only use vegan ones since I'm vegan. The one I prefer right now is Seventh Generation.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: May 01, 2008 10:52PM

Seventh Generation - baby detergent for sensitive skin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2008 10:53PM by rawangel.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 02, 2008 01:35AM

I use the really cheapy off brand stuff. I am poor.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: May 02, 2008 05:56AM

Cocoa nibs, thanks for the soap nuts tip! I'm going to try the sample size.
Love,
Uma

Date: May 02, 2008 05:57AM

The soap nuts actually last you for a very long time.
I reuse them until just the shell is left. They grow on trees, just like that smiling smiley

[www.maggiespureland.com]

Date: May 02, 2008 10:51AM

Thank you all for the replies! I read a couple of good things about Charlie's Soap and Shaklee. They are supposedly all plant derived and not tested on animals. Anyone have experience with these soaps? Also My local Costco sells Ecos. ANyone have any experience with it?

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: May 02, 2008 04:48PM

For the past year & a half I have been using Bio Pac Ultra Laundry Liquid that comes in a 1 gallon, 128 ounce, plastic jug..This is a scent-free, not-tested-on-animals liquid laundry detergent..The original price at my local health food store in Towson, MD was $14.99..Every couple of weeks it would be on sale for $10.99; which is when I try to purchase it..

After several months of experimentation (and several teeth-pulling conversations with my mother to not waste the detergent by using more than was necessary!!), I arrived at the following methodology in measuring the soap..

Our washer has 4 different water levels that can be set for various size tubs of laundry..They are Mini, Medium, Large, & Super..

I use a Tupperware 2 ounce shot glass that has graduations molded into the sides of the plastic shot glass to measure the liquid detergent..It has graduation lines at the 1 oz., 1 1/2 oz., & 2 oz. levels..I added marks at the 1/4 ounce & 1/2 ounce levels with a permanent marker..

The Bio Pac instructions on the label recommend 1 oz of detergent per load of laundry..I find this amount to be excessive for all but the largest size tub of laundry, & or the dirtiest tubs of laundry..

Accordingly, I use from between 1/8 ounce to 1/4 ounce of detergent for a Mini size load; depending on the amount of clothing that is occupying the Mini amount of water..

For Medium size loads I use from between 1/4 ounce to 1/2 ounce of the detergent..

For Large size loads I use from between 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce of the detergent..With the 1 ounce size being for truly dirty laundry..

For Super size loads I use the full 1 ounce of the detergent..

If any size load is deemed to be dirtier than usual, I use Arm & Hammer Washing Soda or 20 Mule Team Borax to boost the liquid laundry detergent..I use from between 1/8 cup to 1/2 cup of either the washing soda or the borax, depending on the amount of water and how soiled & dirty the laundry being washed is..I keep a set of old, beat up measuring cups hanging on pegboard close to the washer for measuring the washing soda or borax..

As a result of using the Tupperware plastic shot glass to accurately measure the liquid detergent, and using the washing soda & borax as a laundry booster; I now average between 140-160 tubs of laundry per each $10.99 bottle of Bio Pac Ultra Laundry Liquid..With Maryland State sales tax the detergent costs out at $11.54 per gallon..So the cost per load of laundry for the Bio Pac detergent is between 0.082429 to 0.072125 cents per tub of laundry..This rounds up to between 8.25 cents to 7.25 cents per load of laundry..

This is much less than the costs of doing laundry using the major manufacturer's laundry products..

I have not yet taken the time to empty out & accurately measure a full box of either the washing soda or the borax..My best guess is that when using the full 1/2 cup measure I am adding no more than 5-10 cents to the costs for each load..I am due to purchase new boxes of both powders soon..I will try to measure them out & figure out the relative costs per load of laundry, high-to-low; & post the results back here on this thread..

As several others have indicated, I also use the extra rinse cycle to try & eliminate as much detergent from the clothes & bed linens as possible..Since changing to the Bio Pac detergent I have fewer skin issues from laundry detergents..

Hope this helps..

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information..Especially the soap nuts, the number of times needed to rinse all the detergent residue out of our clothing, & the info on poison ivy..

Bruce

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2008 04:54PM by baltochef.

Posted by: sunshineTX ()
Date: May 02, 2008 10:13PM

I've only used All Free 'N Clear, but I'm glad to see this thread because I've wondered this too.

I make my own fabric softener, a mixture of vinegar, baking soda, and essential oil. Does anyone else have a recipe?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 03, 2008 12:26AM

baltochef Wrote:
----------------------------------------------------
>
> Hope this helps..
And I thought I was organized!! Back to the
Drawing Board. My method of measuring laundry detergent
is called Guesstimation......WY

Date: May 03, 2008 12:47AM

Cocoa nibs, I read on the reviews that once wet, the nuts start to go bad within a few days, so to reuse them you would do several loads in a short time and use them again for each load, not store them to use the following week or something. So do you only reuse them for several loads at once or do you store them somehow to reuse later in the week?

Love,
Uma

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: May 03, 2008 01:37AM

The soap nuts idea is so cool, I'm going to have to reasearch it! It's so amazing that you can plant different seeds in the same soil and get all kind of different substances produced by the plants. Plant are little factories!

I use ecover/seventh generation for washing and softening. I add white vinegar for bleach. I also add borax and I use less detergent because I'm using borax.

I recently started adding salt as a bleach agent. Does anyone else do this? I got the idea from the concept of using salt as toothpaste to kill germs. I'm wondering if my clothes will wear out faster?

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: May 03, 2008 02:42AM

The soap nuts are really intriguing..I'm definitely going to be researching them & possibly incorporating them into my laundry routine..

Bruce

Date: May 03, 2008 03:15AM

Hi Uma,
Hmm, never read that about them going bad.
I just let them dry in between loads. They come in a little bag to put in, i just take the bag out of the washer (often enough it accidentally ends up in the drier anyways). Never had a problem. Love these things. The wash comes out great.

Posted by: ss ()
Date: May 03, 2008 09:42AM

Soap nuts idea comes from India. In India it is called Aritha and
Aritha has it's origin thousands of years ago. It is used as a shampoo/soap and has other uses too.

We used to use soap nuts as a shampoo.

Soak them overnight or longer for them to become soft and then use the water next day or if you want to wash your hair but didn't soak it overnight then put them in water and boil the water so they become soft then squish them (make sure water is cool by then) and mix everythingr, then strain it and use the frothy water. So some work involved but worth it.

It also takes out oil residues from hair very well.

Me, my sisters and friends made an effort to make Aritha water to wash hair and we had long thick hair then.

Sad to say that now even in India people (specially living in cities) use shampoo as it is easy to use.

Date: May 04, 2008 04:01AM

Thanks for all the soap nut info! Maybe it helps them last longer to go thru the dryer.. or i could dehydrate them for a bit too.
love,
uma

Date: May 04, 2008 08:38AM

Anyone use soapwort?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 04, 2008 02:21PM

all free and clear powder

Has anyone used a James Hand Washer?

elnatural

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 04, 2008 06:46PM

Wow - thanks for the Soap Nuts information. I just ordered some. I've been using Free and Clear, but I want something less processed. I also liked the Bio Pac, but I can't find it here in Va. And I also use Borax with other detergent, but maybe now I'll try it alone. I just had a little question about it after reading somewhere or other that they by law put chemicals on new mattresses or else Boric Acid, and this article said that Boric Acid is toxic and poisonous.

[earthfriendlygoods.com]

[www.exoticbird.com]

(Right now I'm looking up Borax and mattresses, and I came across this, which is interesting -- on how to get rid of bedbugs --

[getipm.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables