Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Why a salad costs more than a Big Mac
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 03, 2008 05:09AM

Informative link

[www.pcrm.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why a salad costs more than a Big Mac
Posted by: Context ()
Date: May 03, 2008 03:12PM

At least things are looking up... thanks for the information CB. BTW I dont know about where you guys are, but where I live, but the price of fast food has doubled in the last year.

I also think that current fast food should be treated like alcohol and cigarettes. Be forced to have high taxes placed on them because of the health costs incurred by eating them. Aswell as warning labels... like on packages of cigarrettes out here. Like warning this product causes heart disease... then show a picture of a sickened heart.

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: May 03, 2008 03:57PM

Context Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At least things are looking up... thanks for the
> information CB. BTW I dont know about where you
> guys are, but where I live, but the price of fast
> food has doubled in the last year.
>
> I also think that current fast food should be
> treated like alcohol and cigarettes. Be forced to
> have high taxes placed on them because of the
> health costs incurred by eating them. Aswell as
> warning labels... like on packages of cigarrettes
> out here. Like warning this product causes heart
> disease... then show a picture of a sickened
> heart.

lol. You'd be popular in office!

I see where you are coming from but that's not really a good comparison. People have to eat - they don't have to smoke. People with very limited funds are basically forced to eat poorly, and making their food more expensive is not going to help.

Date: May 03, 2008 07:02PM

the companies that make and sell that garbage should be the ones getting taxed. then again, that would translate into higher food prices but maybe that isn't such a terrible thing in this case.

Date: May 04, 2008 12:06AM

Itzdavey Wrote:

> lol. You'd be popular in office!
>
> I see where you are coming from but that's not
> really a good comparison. People have to eat -
> they don't have to smoke. People with very
> limited funds are basically forced to eat poorly,
> and making their food more expensive is not going
> to help.

They're only "forced to eat poorly" because the deck is stacked against them. Meat & grains are unnaturally cheap while fruit & vegetables are about where they should be. Without government subsides eating healthy would be very cost effective.

Date: May 04, 2008 12:08AM

And weird how this "non-food-related" post ends up in Off-Topic (even though it's obviously food related) whereas the Quotes thread stays there. I suspect the moderator of this forum has slipped on one too many banana peels.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: May 04, 2008 12:39AM

Instead of taxing, I think a better solution would be to remove farm subsidies so that fast food wouldn't turn out to be so "cheap" after all, letting the free market determine the prices of different foods. This way people are less taxed, can spend their extra money as they see fit, junk food is not as cheap, and the market isn't distorted in favour of these processed foods.

Cheers,
J

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 04, 2008 01:35AM

communitybuilder,

And you said you were going to place nice if you were allowed to come back smiling smiley

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 04, 2008 02:06AM

Well, I went grocery shopping today and nearly passed out.

My diet is going to have to change. I just can't keep doing what I am accustomed to doing. The prices are way out of my league now.

I will probably be using more banana, sweet potato, and bean. I can still afford seeds but not nuts. Less of the better stuff, more of the cheapie stuff will be on my menu.

Very very unhappy about this. sad smiley

Date: May 04, 2008 02:43AM

i've been having seeds instead of nuts a lot lately too, are they really the inferior choice? the banana i won't eat, i don't like them and i don't care how inexpensive they are, yuck. i live near many greenhouses and fruit farms right now so thankfully fresh and local, though not neccessarily organic, is very accessible to me. i'm going to do lots of sprouting at our new house, there is room and another grown up who will water and eat them with me, yay!

i don't really understand why some threads get shifted over here while others don't. what about the photo threads? the body care threads? the threads about falling off the wagon even... there doesn't seem to be so much rhyme or reason to that.

Date: May 04, 2008 03:23AM

Bryan Wrote:
> communitybuilder,
>
> And you said you were going to place nice if you
> were allowed to come back smiling smiley

Just some constructive criticism baby. Now quit complaining, you know your life is empty and meaningless without me. smiling smiley

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 04, 2008 04:24AM

The recent increases in the cost of foods is caused the energy costs to transport them all. Certainly the subsidies make the meat and grains cheaper, but even those are getting more expensive. Also, expect to see the costs of grains rise as the ethanol industry starts to take off.

Posted by: Geoffrey ()
Date: May 04, 2008 11:07PM

Sad to say, the dollar is going to keep falling over time(the short term is less predictable), so groceries in general are going to keep increasing over the next few years.

Date: May 04, 2008 11:54PM

is that true? that means our canadian dollar will keep going up then. i guess you can all come over here and do your shopping with me winking smiley

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 05, 2008 01:57AM

[[ i've been having seeds instead of nuts a lot lately too, are they really the inferior choice?]]

Nutritionally, I think no, you can get your omega3 from flax and your omega5 and vitamin E from sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

But nuts are so much tastier. I have gotten used to walnuts in my salad, they add oomph. There is a word for it, umami, which is a proposed 5th taste along with sweet, sour, salty, and bitter.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 05, 2008 04:06PM

umami-interesting. What is it? Oomph? LOL. Walnuts taste bitter to me. It is strange that I used to like them more before going raw than I do now.

On a brighter note we have mangos 5 for a $1 here, not organic though. They are so delish too. We certainly couldn't have eaten fast food for any where near that price.

Date: May 05, 2008 10:15PM

umami=parmisan, tomato paste, msg derived from kelp, etc. it is the overall sensation of delicious. you know how (when you used to eat pasta, if you did) the parm added just that extra bit of something that made the dish come together in tasty harmony? that is umami. those items i mentioned above are some examples of things that when added to a dish impart umami (it's why msg is used, it adds "tastiness" in a way that plain old salt just doesn't). it's a beautiful concept.
i feel that way about avo in a salad, it makes it taste just so cohesively beautiful to my mouth. glad to hear about walnut it that role, i agree now that i think of it.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 06, 2008 03:03PM

Thanks coco.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 10, 2012 06:52PM

bump

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 11, 2012 12:52AM

Yes, now more than ever, we must be mindful of this. That real food is not promoted for the general welfare of our citizens is immoral on the most basic Old Testament level. Immoral.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: February 11, 2012 03:48PM

That sounds like just great news! Thank you communitybuilder for posting such an informative article. smiling smiley I remember McDonald's fondly growing up. Wasn't one of their mottos trying to feed a family under five dollars? That's something to think about. Thanks for article.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 12, 2012 11:59PM

sald takes alot of handling refridge and upkeep
dead food takes none

Date: February 13, 2012 12:13AM

Living people take a lot of upkeep too, dead people not so much :/.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 13, 2012 04:43PM

Bwahahah.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 13, 2012 06:05PM

we all just need to start shopping smarter i think. I am trying to seek out a few individuals locally (vegans , vegetarians or rawfoodies) that buy produce on a regular basis and start ordering cases of stuff. I cant see any way around the rising costs of foods other then bulk ordering organic and growing my own.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: February 13, 2012 10:25PM

A blessing from the most high.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables