Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how can I get my children raw
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 15, 2008 07:53PM

Hello all,

I am looking for someone that has started their children on raw food from the age of 4 and 7. I eat very healthy food and so does my children. They are used to vegetables, beans, nuts and fruit. Although they do also eat meat, milk, pasta, rice etc. And ofcourse most of their food is cooked. Now I am preparing for going 90-100 % raw. I also want my children to become raw. Has anyone gone through this. Recepies etc. What is good to start with etc.

lots of love from me

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how can I get my children raw
Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 17, 2008 12:55PM

I'm going through it now. I say first of all, don't push it, but introduce foods you think they'll like. Increase the fruits and veggies they like. Make nut milk and trade that for cow's milk. Aliza loves pesto, so I make raw vegan pesto and put it on veggies (like summer squash cut like fettuccine) and she gobbles it up. Make raw desserts. Phase out meat as you do this. Feed them lots of guacamole and raw hummus and raw nut butters. Let them help you make food. Grow food. My daughter will eat food out of the garden that I can never get her to eat when it comes from a store (like kale -- she picks the leaves and eats them now). Get them to try new things; bribe them if you have to. My daughter loves nori -- whoddathunk?! Good luck!

Date: August 01, 2008 06:58PM

Hi

My son is 4 years old and has always been veggie. It's hard enough for us adults to change to a raw diet let alone children. I have started to cook his veggies less and less so they stay a little crunchy and have just slowly introduced more and more but have never pushed too hard. I will never expect him to eat completely raw, i will leave this decision to him when he's older.

Best of luck to you with your children .

Joanne

Date: September 19, 2008 12:08AM

I'm easing my almost-3-year-old into a mostly raw diet. I finally found a breakfast food she got into. She loves cereal, so I took dry oats (I'm pretty sure they are raw), and just mixed in a bunch of agave and dried cranberries and some cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Then, I put it in the dehydrator overnight, and she LOVED it as cereal. Maybe it isn't 100% raw, I'm not sure about the oats, but I'm so glad to be getting her to eat more and more healthy foods - and really enjoying them.

I can't get her to touch most of what I make including really yummy smoothies. Slowly, though, I think you (and I) will find a handful of staple raw foods to serve on a regular basis.

Posted by: katra ()
Date: September 19, 2008 01:29AM

I throw almonds and dates in the food processor with a splash of vanilla. I'll let it go until it gets warm and doughy then i put it in a bowl with some mashed up berries. My 2 1/2 year old LOVES this!

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: September 19, 2008 02:54PM

I have a grand son and when he was starting to eat solid foods I would feed him green smoothies. He really gets excited now when I make a green smoothie and enjoys them. one day I made a green smoothie and had put dulse in it I thought the flavor and texture was awful but he enjoyed it, I was surprised.

I have a 11 year old that I want to eat more vegies and she is very resistant. She gets headachs and sore throats oftain and I believe her health is due to what she is eating. I wish she would eat more fresh foods. She does not even like smoothies. I am not sure just how to handle this one.

Date: October 22, 2008 06:32AM

I've got three children ages 9, 7 and 3 years old. Allthough they all like fruit, they also like unhealthy stuff like sweets. My husband and kids is now about 60% vegetarian and I am 100% raw. What i did with them that really worked was to tell them that they get to have desert from now on before the meal. So I cut a few nice fruit that i know they would like and put it on a pretty serving dish and let them take for themselves whatever they wanted. I made it very attractive and let them feel as if I was doing them a huge favour. The result was that they were not really very hungry after eating the fruit, and without them knowing, they are eating more and more raw fruit and vegetables in the place if cooked food.
I just dont know what I am going to do in the winter.

It is a struggle for all of us, but we will get there and reap the fruit.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: October 28, 2008 04:08AM

lexie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi
>
> My son is 4 years old and has always been veggie.
> It's hard enough for us adults to change to a raw
> diet let alone children. I have started to cook
> his veggies less and less so they stay a little
> crunchy and have just slowly introduced more and
> more but have never pushed too hard. I will
> never expect him to eat completely raw, i will
> leave this decision to him when he's older.
>
> Best of luck to you with your children .
>
> Joanne

Ummm your son is only 4. You should be making the decisions for him unless you mean by "older" more like 15 or 20. 4yrs old isn't that hard of an age to get him off of cooked..sounds like you don't want to try enough. Try introducing more fruits instead of just pushing the veggies.

Leave the decision to him? Once he's a little older and in school or around other kids and getting into the Halloween candy(If you're from the USA), if he hasn't discovered cookies, brownies, sugary kid cereals, pizza and icecream yet..once he does..it'll be all over.

Can't help but wonder if you're using your son as an excuse for you to stay cooked. Because you can't go eating something cooked while telling him it's bad for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2008 04:11AM by LikeItOrNot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables