Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Again
Posted by: Misery's Fence ()
Date: August 29, 2008 02:03AM

I've been raw on and off for several years. Being 75% raw isn't difficult--I love fruits and salads--but it's the social aspect of getting together for dinner with friends, etc.,that keeps 100% out of my reach.

That said, here's my intake for the day:

Breakfast--red grapes
Snack--gazpacho with avocado and dehydrated flax crackers, kombucha
Lunch--large salad with baby greens, herbs from my garden, mixed raw nuts, strawberries, avocado, goji berries, and bee pollen; olive oil and lemon dressing
Snack--halva (which I thought was raw, but turned out not to be--bummer)
Supper--raw energy bar, kombucha

At my age, I expect a lot of bizarre stuff going on with my female organs (my uterus is prolapsing, for one), but my period started today--less than 2 weeks after the last one. And the last one was only 2 weeks after the one before. No wonder I'm always knackered; can we say "anemia?" A pox on the gynecologists who refused to recommend me for a hysterectomy because "it's not affecting your health because you're not anemic." And I'm a heavy bleeder too--3 periods in 4 weeks' time will probably do the trick. My current doc is a big believer in blood tests; I might mosey on over tomorrow and get my finger stuck.

Anyhoo...looking forward to strawberries for breakfast tomorrow, and banana smoothies. Yum!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Again
Date: August 30, 2008 03:27PM

OK, I was a bad girl last night. But I find that having the mindset of being 'mostly raw' takes away a lot of the pressure and guilt. In the past, striving for 100% raw and slipping up led to days and even weeks of eating cooked. Putting the intention in my head that I am NOT going to be 100% (at least, not yet) makes it much easier to get back on track when I do.

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast--large banana smoothie
Supper--salad w/field greens, craisins, pine nuts, balsamic vinaigrette
Midnight snack--ice cream :-(

I've already determined that I will allow myself certain non-raw things:

1. Hot tea
2. Extra-dark chocolate
3. "Questionables;" those things that *might* be raw--or should be--but maybe aren't. When I find a restaruant with an awesome salad, I'm not going to stress over whether the pine nuts are toasted or not. I also bought some halva, which *can* be raw, and although I found out that this particular brand isn't, I'm still going to finish it.
4. Rare occasions, dinner out with friends.

I figure those 4 exceptions will still keep me at over 90% raw (I usually only have a cup or 2 of tea a day, choccie is a rare treat, and when eating out, I still look to stay as raw as possible).

Oh, and an update on the "female" stuff--it wasn't my period after all; just some spotting. I'm somewhat concerned, because I don't usually spot. I'm fast entering menopause, and wondering if this is some sort of 'symptom?' Sweetie would like to try for a baby, despite my gynecologist's doubts, and I'm afraid this is the 'beginning of the end.'

Date: May 01, 2012 01:05AM

Jeez, I can't believe I found my old posts!

A year to the day after my last post--Aug. 30, 2009--Sweetie passed. We had become officially engaged the Christmas before, and were going to start planning a wedding. sad smiley Having been widowed once before, this was a real setback for me emotionally, and I stopped giving a rat's ass about taking care of myself.

My arthritis has gotten crippling, so I've gone back to a high-raw vegan diet and a specialized exercise program. I've very big on sprouts and smoothies, and with local produce season fast approaching, I'm excited to really get back into raw foods. I have a new job and work from home now, so no more pressure from co-workers to eat out (and more time to make myself healthy meals).

Love and Light,
Miz

Posted by: Ivi rose ()
Date: May 01, 2012 04:48AM

Aww, so sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you are back again and wish you the best. I'll be looking forward to your diary.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables