Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: 40 gone and 40 (or more) to go !
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 09, 2009 03:15AM

lolllllllllll... boy do I love this thread!

So nice to talk with 'my girls' about this jeans stuff; Jonathan is supportive but he can only relate to this issue so far... (He's also as fit and toned as a Olympic track star.)

Well, I have ALWAYS packed quite 'a lot of junk in the trunk' even when I was younger and a little bit slimmer; it's just my natural shape. I always prefer my jeans to be stretch and the fabric a little on the heavy side, because they seem to define and camoflauge better the ones that are non-stretch or light fabric. Oh-- and I wear them a little on the snug side for the same reason. Well, let's be honest here: they are a great body shaper!-- but not to the point of discomfort or distraction. My lower body is not that toned, so jeans seem to really hide a multitude of sins. I love them. If I wore sweatpants out in public I'd probably wear those Spanx things underneath, and who wants to do that? Jeans are a great relatively modern invention.

Jodi, I don't wear the skinny/ankle jeans either, because of my thighs. I wear boot cut or flare, and lately I've discovered I enjoy wearing capris even in winter with dark kneesocks. I like low rise, but not ultra-low, which would probably result in the dreaded muffin top.

I think it's hilarious that I'm not the only one here who's felt compelled switched to dark jeans lately! The sisterhood of the dark jeans is growing, apparently.

You guys are the best; thank God for this 'raw diary' forum. It's a real blessing.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 09, 2009 06:16AM

OMG dont even get me started on the muffin top ! ROFL !!

ok this is what i perceive i look like in skinny leg jeans ... think of a pirate with both wooden peg legs cept the pegs stop midway between the knee an the thigh .. then BOOM ..

so im ass and pegs tongue sticking out smiley

yes we are the sisters of the dark jeans !! OHMMMM !!!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 10, 2009 01:18AM

>>>>yes we are the sisters of the dark jeans !! OHMMMM !!!<<<<

:-) spilling our deepest, darkest denim secrets

I read somewhere today that women with larger butts live longer and are healthier. Man, that's good news!! I've got it made!

No seriously, I think I'm releasing a lot of bad feelings I have had around issues like my flabby inner thighs and other body image-related things that don't fit the 'skinny raw foodist' party line. You have to love what you've got first, before you can release it, so laughing about my hassles with my weight with you guys has been very therapeutic! I've been working with EFT a little bit too, and it's interesting: I do seem to get full quicker when I eat now, and this week I can get into (okay, barely squeeze into) two pairs of jeans that I haven't worn in months.

>>>>ok this is what i perceive i look like in skinny leg jeans ... think of a pirate with both wooden peg legs cept the pegs stop midway between the knee an the thigh .. then BOOM .. so im ass and pegs<<<<

lol... oh how we berate ourselves! I remember a friend of mine drawing a caricature of herself as a giant abdomen attached to a nondescript, almost invisble woman. All she saw was her stomach.

Sundancer, those custom-made jeans sound great! Maybe someday I'll get myself a wardrobe of them. Despite my complaints, I love jeans. I think they're just the best thing. I even like to dress them up with with fancy jersey tops that are almost long enough to dresses when I'm performing or going to a party. I'm just not much of a dress type of girl anymore, because then you have to figure out what type of hosiery to wear and whether to wear heels-- ugh, too much trouble.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: February 10, 2009 03:59AM

Hey girls,
My muffin top and I are going to chime in here a bit.
I lost twenty-fivish pounds last year and lost my muffin top (and a substantial portion of my ass) eating raw, then gained a little over half of it back over the holidays :{{{{{
But (and it's a big butt!) I'm trying to get back in the swing of things here. Don't forget the wise words of the band Queen:
"Fat bottom girls, you make the rockin' world go round!!" A friend reminded me of that several years ago when I was deriding myself.
I hope you have a great day (well, it's essentially over, so have a great tomorrow!)!

Date: February 12, 2009 09:42PM

hey folks sorry went off on reading spree for a couple of days smiling smiley

I am finding it a bit disturbingthat 2 members of our forums here have both ended up in emergency rooms in the last few weeks from fasting ..

so ive been reading back through alot of both their threads to see if ther was any odd or weird advice given or the some history/background

im worried that people come on the forums here and find snippits of info without doing the research and then get really life threatening sick?

what do you all think of whats happened to herbalgerbal and luvyuu?

ack let me rephrase the above to some extent .. they didnt end up in the hospital because of the fasting .. but fasting was the last thing they did before going into ER

i dont want anyone to think they nearly died because of fasting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2009 09:45PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 13, 2009 12:00AM

I hope they're OK. I don't know anything about herbalgerbal, but I do remember luvyuu saying she'd been in the ER at the time of a fast. She's out now right? She's not back in the hospital again, is she?

Date: February 13, 2009 12:31AM

I didn't realize 2 people ended up in the hospital after fasting! (Yikes.) I knew one person did. I'm so surprised, because I've just never encountered anything in any of my fasting experirence that's made me feel remotely like I was in danger, and believe me, there have been 2 or 3 times that I probably overdid it a little bit. I'm not skinny though. I wonder if it's a lot harder for people who are quite thin? I've heard that they have to be very careful.

Hope they're okay!! It concerns me that apparently one of them got rather cold reactions from the 2 raw 'gurus' they called for advice. I've noticed some of them can be kind of harsh with people who aren't thriving when they come to them for help with the raw diet, and it seems a little hypocritical to me.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 13, 2009 02:07AM

I've never had trouble with fasting either (except staying on one).

But I'm concerned about the gurus too. It seems that some of these gurus don't pay much attention to the realities of potential deficiencies. Many gurus seem only focused on what they believe our bodies DON'T need. That's of course very important, especially at first, but I'm not sure these gurus are always right about that either (I've been iron and calcium deficient in the past - without nuts and seeds - plus B12 deficient).

Some people could get into trouble from deficiencies, and these gurus might not know how to advise them.

I wonder if they ever say they don't know what to do and then give the client their money back. And if they suggest an alternative source of information?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2009 02:10AM by suncloud.

Date: February 13, 2009 02:47AM

yeap i totally echo that .. im really concerned like i said that people are getting snippets of info without undertstanding the whole picture

in my opinion fasting is a great way to heal .. BUT . if the body is already under such a tremendous load of bad health .. is it really the best thing to do? maybe under certain circumstances .. like a supervised fast.

i feel bad because i think people are desperately searching for the quicky cure all and not understanding somethings take time and food or lack of is not the key

i once read about 3 years ago on some site that fasting while having a leaky gut syndrome is bad news .. actually could be detrimental possibly even lethal and i keep coming back to all the posts that dancerinthenight has posted all her troubles with trying to be/go raw and her various health and ED issues

i see so many posts that just redflag for me

i guess i find it so disturbing because in nearly 7 years of lurking, posting and being on this site ive never heard of 2 people in as little as a few weeks ending up in the hospital :/

Date: February 13, 2009 05:59AM

Yes.

Too bad there aren't more doctors around like Dr. Joel Fuhrman who is a vegan and familiar with fasting. He monitors his fasting patients for blood sugar levels and other vital measurements.

Fasting can be a wonderful, healing experience. But people who have serious health problems can really hurt themselves.

Now I'm wondering about the message I'm sending when I post about fasting on my diary. I don't want anyone else to do it who might have a lot less experience, or who might not be healthy enough.

And yet, fasting can be very healing. I think I will add a warning to my diary posts when I fast.

Date: February 20, 2009 07:05PM

bah i dont think we should have to censor ourselves smiling smiley i agree fasting is a great healing tool .. i just wonder what happened to these 2 folks that it went sideways on them .. without knowing all the details we will perhaps never know smiling smiley

Date: February 21, 2009 04:49AM

I recall a recent conversation on the main forum between luvyuu and herbalgerbal. Sounded like they'd recovered!

The thread was called "help plan for a fast???", started by luvyuu.

So, not to worry. They're OK.

smiling smiley

Date: February 28, 2009 11:08PM

DAY 1

Well I started a green smoothie experiment of my own today .. I would like to try and go for 120 days .. i have 20 lbs of winter pudge and sludge i want to move out of my system, seing as ive been stuck at this last 40 lbs of weight loss for what seems like forever smiling smiley also gonna be ramping up the exercise come monday. !

so for today so far its been 1 liter of green smoothie so far consisting of (and i hate to measure here so bear with me lol)

4 handfulls of organic mixed baby greens
1 handfull of alfalfa sprouts
2 medium carrots
1 clove of garlic
1 tbs of organic EVOO
2 big dark plums

its a bit limiting but its all thats left in the fridge till tommorrow grinning smiley it came out more savory than sweet so i think the addition of blueberries will help smiling smiley

essentially this is all i have in the fridge at the moment so im cleaning up tonight for tomorrows weekly shopping and some produce sales are coming up this week.

I found a supplier down the road of flash frozen raspberries, blueberries and strawberries .. as much as i dont like frozen thre just isnt much choice right now for produce .. so i will add some of this frozen stuff a bit each day. its 3$ for 2kilos of frozen berries so its not a bad price

i think when the economy tanked less stuff has been shipping here i really notice the difference in choice from last year to this year ! bummer !

I really love swimming and have been going 3 and 4 times a week but i find im getting itchy all the time from the chlorine and wonder if its really worth it .. i wish i was a duck so i had a protective oily coating on me when i go in the water

hmm i wonder how they would feel about me rubbing myself all over with coconut oil before going in the pool lol !!

Date: March 01, 2009 01:33AM

Best wishes on your new routine Jgunn!

Date: March 01, 2009 06:48AM

thanks hun !

well im omitting the garlic tomorrow ... dont know what i was thinking , garlic and onions have always had a gassey effect on me ..oh i think i threw it in cuz it was there lol ... i havent eaten raw garlic in forever and ima total fart monster tonight lol

even the dogs are avoiding me tongue sticking out smiley poor puppies ! have ya ever seen a lhapso apso look at you with disgust before lol??

ya know if i could harness these explosions i bet i could run the computer on all this power smiling smiley

i wonder how many days this is gonna take to work out of my system grinning smiley

again sorry if this is TMI but ya know how i love to share winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2009 06:59AM by Jgunn.

Date: March 01, 2009 07:09AM

oh yea and today i bought my 2nd of 12 major 2009 xmas presents that i need to shop for every year lol. 10 to go ! grinning smiley im sticking with my plans on a stress free shopping venture come december

please dont hate me for mentioning christmas in february =D

Date: March 01, 2009 08:20AM

I swear, Jodi! If a sense of humor imparts good health, you'll be one wild centenarian for sure!

(Good for you for planning ahead on the Christmas gifts)

Date: March 01, 2009 08:27AM

yep im gonna be that blue haired crazy ol broad riding the giant trycycle down the street with 6 cats in my front basket and cases of fruit stacked on the back seat winking smiley

vivla 100 !!

Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: March 01, 2009 06:35PM

...propelled along on natural gas! LOL, couldn't resist. You know, all that doesn't phase me, I'm a TMI kinda gal, as you know. How funny, you and the Llasa Apso and the cats and fruit basket.

Anyway, good luck on the smoothie trip. Sounds very good to me, since I'm fasting for a short bit (could end any minute). I'm reading here and there and on the question forum, kind of catching up since I've been in the boondocks for so long. It is difficult reading all this about rawfood and this banana and this mango and this great salad, etc, because it's been so long since I've eaten this way and I am so ready to eat this way again and I am so hungry for food, real food, that I think this fast has already done its purpose! Sure, I need cleansing, but the main thing now is to eat well.

Enjoy your smoothies!

Date: March 02, 2009 03:32PM

haha Elakti !! goooo methane !!

Day 2 was pretty good i had about 2 liters of mixed smoothies (minus the garlic lol)

stupid me tho i decided to throw in pomegranate in it and after 15 minutes wrestling the jewels out of it .. it made my smoothie crunch from the little hard bits .. grrrr

sharrhan and i had this convo awhile back about them scratching the crap out of her juicer so i dont know what i was thinking !

i really love pomegranates but they are SOOOOOOOOOO much work .. i think i will be reducing them to an occaisional treat smiling smiley

felt very good yesterday overall .. never felt hungry for solids and just an overall happy fuzziness smiling smiley

Date: March 02, 2009 05:23PM

I want overall happy fuzziness!

Yes, pomegranates Are Such Work. There was a pomegranate tree in backyard when I was child. I remember it being fun eating a pomegranate. Ah, childhood.

Anyway, that is good you're smoothing out the smoothies. Enjoy! (I can't wait to eat).

Date: March 02, 2009 05:34PM

dang wish i had a pom tree !! although i probably wouldnt get anything else done all day cuz id be hunting all those little jewels from their leather packages lol smiling smiley

Date: March 03, 2009 01:59AM

DAY3 and alls well that ends well , im not gonna keep listing my ingredients cuz well i dotn think its that important cuz ima kinda throw it all in all in kinda gal unless something really whacks me out in a weird way tongue sticking out smiley )like the the poms an garlic)

today my stupid car wouldnt start (battery) and today is payroll deposits so i had to call the employeees and tell em sorry not till tomorrow and everyone but one guy was ok with that .. i feel so bad cuz its my job but @#$%& happens .. i lent the guy who bitched 200$ out of my own pocket that im taking off his cheque because he had a car payemnt coming out and i felt bad about the whole circumstance

i really hate this job at times

Date: March 03, 2009 06:32PM

Just read your slippery tale over at Suncloud's...so glad you are ok, hope you fully recover soon...but, you told it in such a funny way I found myself chuckling like crazy. Ah, the blessing of a sense of humour!

Smooth sailing today! smiling smiley

Date: March 03, 2009 09:58PM

thanks Elakti haha .. yes my life is full of comedy !

i got a huge package of fresh strawberries to add to my smoothies for the next few days smiling smiley i know theyre imported but they are still a welcome change to the dreary produce that has been kicking around here all winter lol

funny after telling that tale yesterday about my how i hurt my arm i woke up this morning and the swelling has FINALLY gone down after weeks and weeks of pain and i can hardly feel much more then a twinge today smiling smiley

i wonder if the all the added greens ive been eating have been helping the last 4 days smiling smiley

Date: March 04, 2009 02:47AM

Well END of day 4 smiling smiley the strawberries were a real treat today i tell ya they just picked my mood up something fierce .. it was like drinking a little bit of summer in every sip smiling smiley

Date: March 04, 2009 07:51PM

You're doing so good Jodi! That's great!

I don't usually do smoothies, but reading all this smoothie talk is giving me a smoothie appetite. Maybe a strawberry and banana smoothie. Mmmmm!

Date: March 05, 2009 12:11AM

DAY 5 !! Hey all ! i managed to score 2 raw young coconuts in the produce today and had one today .. well the water of one im really not a HUGE coconut fan but ive been drinking the water the last few weaks and it sure seems like a pick meup smiling smiley i like that its low fat the water itself . i was reading that its like natures raw version of a sports drink .. it sure feels like it its so refreshing !

thanks hun .. im really digging the smoothies for the simple fact they are really convienient at the moment , i have so much work to do with tax season at the moment and this is MY worst time of year for eating like crap, working with accountants and other folks (frustrating clients) , meetings and whatnot diet seems to take a header out the window. yet this year im plowing ahead on course and not screwing it up so far lol and im getting so much more greens in me then before just having a salad or two a day .. its just easier to pack in all in blend it up and go at it lol smiling smiley

im not measureing or weighting myself till the end of the month to see whats up as my past history tells me i get too OCD about it lol. I have however lost 14lbs an 5 inches overall since jan 1 smiling smiley i dont notice it personally but thats the ol' body dysmorphia kicking in .. i dont think i really ever will see myself for who i truly am ... or will i? the numbers dont lie (too much lol) and the jeans tell the story smiling smiley

i am really diggin that i can extend my elbow and arm out full extenstion without grief .. i went swimming today and took it easy but still felt really much more frisky then usual smiling smiley

wheee ! =D

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2009 12:17AM by Jgunn.

Date: March 05, 2009 01:39AM

Hey Jodi,
I don't even weigh myself, because I just can't stand to deal with the numbers-- I either get too compulsive about trying to bring the numbers down, or I get bummed if I weigh more than I think I do. I weigh myself maybe once every 5 years for a reality check. In-between I just use my tightest pair of jeans as a gauge.

Congrats on the weight loss and inches lost-- that's significant! I know what you mean about the body dysmorphia though; I remember the first time I lost weight on a 28 day juice fast. When I was done, I remarked to my husband that I hadn't lost any weight. He just looked at me, disbelieving. Finally he said, "Yes you did!!" Eventually I figured it out-- I probably lost 20 pounds-- but at first I thought I looked about the same, so I figured I hadn't lost anything. We women are hard on ourselves sometimes.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: March 05, 2009 02:00AM

Good to hear your smoothie venture is working for you. Especially since it is the taxing time of year. So much variety to smoothies, too!

Being in the water should be good for your shoulder, right? Maybe not roundhouse arm movement but paddling and such. Where do you swim? I do kinda miss water. I moved from the ocean to another area. I think I miss the ocean air as much as the water. We had a pool, but could only swim few months as it was unheated.
Anyway, glad your shoulder is better. Yeah, I love greens in smoothies! Especially romaine.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables