Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: On the Raw Path and Not Lost in the Woods Anymore
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 04, 2009 03:05PM

Oh! Just remembered one problem: Ebay doesn't allow people to sell their CDs-- they don't trust that it's really your intellectual property. They have to be sold on CD sites like CDBaby. I've never had a strong motivation to sell my CDs on CDBaby either, because you can only get $4-5 dollars per CD for all the trouble and expense of putting them there. I have a friend who sells on CDBaby, and I think she makes about $20/year from it. The initial cost is $30 to send them 5 copies of your CD, so that's $90 right off the bat to get my 3 CDs online, and I've never been able to justify it. So I sell them in the subway for $12, and occasionally I mail a CD to somebody.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 04, 2009 04:49PM

yea ebay is weird that way about music but i guess its artist protection to think about smiling smiley , it would be good for your artwork tho : im sure there must be other more lucrative ways of promo your music online . but even for the simple fact if you can have paypal up to accept payments , even if you had a small single page freebie website to send traffic too where people like us (!) can order online =D

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: April 04, 2009 05:19PM

remind me not to type when i havent had my morning tea yet lol i hope the above made some sort of sense lol

sorry my minds in a tizzy i found out late thursday night one of my clients is getting audited and needs all his paperwork by monday which i just recieved less than a week ago so i have a years worth of bookeeeping to cram into 2 days lol sheesh smiling smiley

Date: April 09, 2009 06:14AM

OMG, this is so special and adorable, I just had to share it. Coco sent it to me. Isn't this just too amazing and wonderful!?!!

I LOVE IT! (The photo doesn't even do it justice; it's so gorgeous. The beadwork os lovely and there's a big red heart in the midst of this beautiful paisley design.)

Coco is such a generous, sweet and super-talented soul.

(I can hear her saying 'Oh man, cool it!') ;-p

Date: April 10, 2009 07:57PM

lol that is nifty noodles !! =D

Date: April 13, 2009 03:19PM

Man, some of our local neighbors are so clueless! Our community garden was used (without our permission, obviously) for an easter egg hunt yesterday, and the people and kids who did it left plastic easter eggs, candy wrappers, and chocolate candy all over the place for us to clean up! How disgusting! Adult footprints were all over the dirt in the garden (which presses the dirt down and makes it hader for us to rototill in a couple of weeks) and the top of the one of the composters was pulled off, and they left the gate open. I'd sure like the chance to talk to the mothers who concocted this stupid idea.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: April 13, 2009 08:20PM

I think you should -- that was rude. Maybe you could use this situation in a positive way, to educate those who "don't know better". Do you have garden guidelines posted? I think our community garden does. I would totally feel violated.

Date: April 13, 2009 11:47PM

Unfortuantely, we have no idea who did this. They just came in, crapped the whole place up, and left without bothering to clean up their own mess. Incredibly nervy of them. The candy and wrappers are a bad thing, because we had a problem with rats in the compost bins over the winter and we don't want to attract rats again. We're going to post a sign on the gate that makes it clear this is a private garden.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 14, 2009 12:12AM

wow that is nervy .. is there anyway to find out who? id seriously be strapping the rototiller onto them if i found out. how annoying. ignorant people

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 14, 2009 02:50AM

Human nature being what it is, I'm not surprised that people would do this. Unfortunately I'm human too..hahahaha..sometimes I don't like that thoughtsmiling smiley

I'd like to evolve into something more..or maybe it should be spelled evolove. Evolove...that's kind of cool. Or how about EcoLove I like that too.

So, what are you going to plant in the garden? I'm going to plant cherry tomatoes in my backyard..I don't know what else yet. Maybe some herbs would be nice.

Love,
Prism

Date: April 14, 2009 03:54AM

>So, what are you going to plant in the garden?<

We planted peas a couple weekends ago (they go in early) and after we rototill we will start planting more stuff. I'm not very experienced, so I just follow the lead of the more experienced people in the group, some of whom have been at it for 30 years! Last year we planted the following, some early, some later:

lettuce - several kinds (very plentiful, and my favorite thing to pick)
spinach
mustard greens
collard greens
tomatoes (I hope we do better with these this year)
cherry tomateos
green beans (ehhh)
cucumbers
eggplant
carrots
white salad turnips

In addition, we have perennial raspberries, thyme, chives, and parsley.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 14, 2009 03:58AM

whatever you do , dont plant zuchini ,,, you will be able to feed all the homeless in boston on zuchini tongue sticking out smiley

3 bloody little plantings of the stuff took over 2/3 of my garden last year

i think zuchinis are alians tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 03:58AM by Jgunn.

Date: April 14, 2009 02:03PM

Zucchini and yellow squash are two of my favorites, but I think our garden group discovered that there was some kind of problem with growing them here-- either they rot or attract some kind of bugs or something. So we don't grow them. Too bad, because they're pretty expensive at the local co-op, believe it or not, and I love to make fake pasta with them.

Date: April 14, 2009 02:17PM

When it comes to slipping up on my raw diet, I've decided it's a lot better to have a Lara bar, or even 2, once in awhile, rather than something cooked. I still feel good afterward, after an occasional non-optimal raw food choice, but if I have anything cooked or even steamed vegies, I feel kind of tired afterward.

Sometimes I just don't plan my day correctly, and I'm out and about and just have to grab something. Lara bars hit the spot, even though I have almost no craving for them whatsoever anymore. There was a time when I loved them. I'm glad I'm through that phase! I still like the lime and lemon ones a little bit, but only when I'm desperate for something quick and raw to eat. Dates or dried mangos are okay too, but terribly overpriced. (A little tub of tried mango costs almost $5.00 here, and organic dates are $8.99 a lb. Yikes!)

Usually by this time of year I'm in the midst of a juice fast, but this year I have no great motivation to do it yet. In fact, I'm not too attracted to any particular kind of food at the moment; I find everything kind of boring! Maybe that's good?; I don't know. I do like green smoothies in the morning. After that, I lose interest and just eat whatever decent raw food item is at hand to make sure I don't get too hungry. I have somewhat of a craving for citrus, I think. If oranges were cheap, I'd probably buy up bushels of them and just make orange juice for awhile.

Meanwhile, I have a bag of organic carrots summoning me from the vegetable drawer in the refrigerator, and I'm completely ignoring their siren call to juice them. (I hate this feeling of 'should;' I find myself rebelling.) I think I'm waiting for warmer weather; perhaps then I will feel more like embarking on a more heroic journey of month-long juice fasting.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 14, 2009 05:48PM

Today I'm not that hungry, but I'm feeling much more friendly toward smoothies and juice today. It's nice not to be hungry-- I'm just so not used to it,lol!

Found some wonderful papayas this afternoon-- 3 of them -- discounted at the grocery store. They're hugely overpriced and not enough people buy them, so some of them regularly get discounted, and I buy them up for making smoothies. These are ripe and perfect inside, and only a little bit cosmetically blemished on the outside. Just like that lady that sang so beautifully on the British version of 'Idol' recently, you can't judge something by it's outer covering. ;-)

It's absolutely gorgeous today: 55 degrees, but warm enough to take my jacket off and just wear a long sleeved top. And the sun is shining gloriously. I'm so glad my bandmates decided to postpone our rehearsal today. Jonathan and I are supposed to do the steam and sauna today at the gym, but I'm tempted to skip out and go for a long walk.

Maybe spring has finally arrived. Hope so!

Date: April 19, 2009 04:06PM

Juicing again -- day 2 -- and this time I feel 99% certain that I'll persevere to the end, whenever that may be! The weather is much warmer now, and that helps enormously. I almost always have several false starts at beginning a juice fast in the springtime-- as I've already had this spring-- and then finally it just 'takes' and I'm on my way. I am really committed now, though, and after just one day of juicing (mostly carrot juice) I feel noticeably different already. Juicing, when I get around to actually doing it, agrees with me so thoroughly that I'm amazed I don't do it more often.

After about a week of drinking only juice, I will almost always begin to feel like I'm in my natural element, and it becomes very easy to meditate and also to just feel at one with everything and enjoy being in the moment. I'm really looking forward to that; I feel the calming effects somewhat already.

Date: April 21, 2009 04:35AM

Juicing, day 3. This time I am on a roll. WY and I are sharing a thread about our juice fast (we're 'fasting buddies') on the juicing forum. Anyone want to join us? The more the merrier. Day three, for me, is often the deciding day where I either keep going or quit on a juice fast. Today was easy!-- it must be spring. ;-) I ran for a mile on the track at the gym, and I haven't been hungry. I'm feeling really good. Yesterday was high energy; today was more 'mellow.' Either way, it's good.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 10, 2009 03:21PM

There, that's much better (just changed my signature pic to a much smaller size). That other one was WAY too big!-- too up close and personal.

I have a confession: I wear hair extensions that I made myself. That's my real hair all around my face, but in back it's 3 'tiers' of human hair wefts that I learned how to cut, sew together in double layers, and sew clips onto so that I could have really nice hair extensions for under $15 instead of $100 or more. My real hair is only chin length. The extensions are light as a feather and really easy to put in, and I love them.

Anyhoo... I'm still juice fasting. Today's day 23. I have a big day ahead of me today, and I'm going to have to figure out how to drink juice all day: I've got a music event this afternoon and a party this evening. I will probably have to take along some bottled lemonade or kombucha or something that's not homemade.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 11, 2009 03:21AM

Whew! I made it! I stayed on my juice fast today, despite temptations. I had a 2 hour gig this afternoon, and then tonight I had to go to a party for about 4 hours, where I played some more music. There was lots of food available at both the pub and the party, but I just chugged a little juice at both events. 'Piece of cake'.... er... no, it wasn't a piece of cake, but it was great. Actually, Jonathan did have a piece of cake at the party, and it looked good, so I just enjoyed it vicariously.

Interesting side note: when I'm fasting I cook better meals for my mate! When I'm not sidetracked by my own meal preparation, I put more attention and thought into preparing his meals, and I enjoy watching him eat them. A little weird, but I think it makes sense.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: May 12, 2009 12:34AM

Hi Sharrhan,
Wow way to go! I have yet to make it past day 4 of a juice fast. They are kind of expensive for me. Carrots are cheap, but apples are 50 cents each and it just goes up from there. (grumble). I've looked at the fasting sites and they say to drink a gallon a day. Do you do that? I don't know if I could drink that much. Do you also drink water?

I liked doing everything more when I juice fasted last year even for that short period. Nice to "see" you!

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Date: May 12, 2009 02:34AM

Hi Wendy!
Yeah, I know, it can be kind of daunting trying to budget a juice fast, but I somehow manage to find really cheap fruits and vegetables that are good from time to time, and it helps a lot. One supermarket has 'markdown' produce that's superb, and another little market I go to (it takes a little trip on the subway to get there) always has certain fruits marked down to a very, very low price every week. Sometimes it's pineapples 2/$3; other times it's cantaloupe for $.99... stuff like that. And when I started my juice fast, I couldn't believe that suddenly my co-op (EXPENSIVE, not like a real co-op at all) managed to have a huge supply of organic Valencia oranges at $3.99 for 5 pounds. They were great while they lasted, and I had a lot of orange juice.

Look around and you may be able to find some deals. Farmer's markets are good too; if you go late in the day you can sometimes get huge markdowns. You might try 'filling in' your juice fast with some homemade lemonade. I do that if I can't find enough good produce to make other kinds of juice.

Oh-- here's an idea too, if you don't mind playing a little fast and loose with the raw concept: make a warm 'potassium broth' (this is one of Herbert Shelton's ideas) by boiling and then simmering some common vegetables like potatoes, carrots, onions, green peppers, tomatoes in a couple quarts of water. After it cools a little, strain and drink the liquid. It's very satisfying at the beginning of a fast, and I haven't noticed that it lessens the good effects in any significant way.

I drink between 3 qts. and 1-1/4 gallons, I think, depending on what's going on (how busy I am) and how long my day is. I usually don't drink any water, unless I make potassium broth.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: May 13, 2009 10:23PM

Funny thing you posting about the deals on produce. We have some local Mexican markets and the ads were 99 cents for a bag of galas or 5 avocados or 5 oranges. Papaya for 50 cents each. Wowzer! They had birthday cake today at work and I brought a plate of oranges so I would have something in my hand to eat while the others were eating cake! ^5

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Date: May 13, 2009 11:39PM

Those are great prices, Wendy. I'd love to get avocados or oranges 5/.99!

>They had birthday cake today at work and I brought a plate of oranges so I would have something in my hand to eat while the others were eating cake!<

You're the smart one! Maybe others at work will eventually follow your example too, who knows?

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 18, 2009 02:58PM

Today is day 30 of my juice fast. Feeling good! Not much to report-- my juice drinks are nothing out of the ordinary (combinations based in orange or carrot juice, usually), and I've had a few minor slip-ups along the way with fruit or smoothies. But I'm in this for the long haul and I'm really enjoying the feeling of lightness and freedom that accompanies juice fasting. Most of the time there is no hunger at all. I've been lucky enough to find some really good deals on produce lately -- half price on bags of juicing oranges, 3 qts. of Driscoll's strawberries for $5, cantaloupes for $1.50. Might go to this little Indian market today that requires a short trip by subway, to see if they have their usual super-deals on pineapples (2/$3) or cantaloupe ($.99).

I haven't been exercising a lot. My feeling has just been to get out and walk like crazy, becuase after such a long, dark winter I'm really craving sunshine and fresh air. Today I'll probably do a steam and sauna at the gym, though, and I'm ready to start doing 30 minutes of yoga daily again.

Have a gorgeous Monday, everybody!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Mona ()
Date: May 21, 2009 02:39PM

Hi Sharrhan. Did you get my email?

Mona

Date: May 21, 2009 11:23PM

Oh!!!! Yes! So sorry, Mona; I keep meaning to send you a note. Kind of crazy-busy lately, and haven't attended to my e-mails very well. YES!!, I'm so excited that you are coming here. Will write to you tonight.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 09, 2009 01:57AM

Hey! I ate only fruit today (it included tomatoes and cucumbers), and I stopped eating right after dinner at around 6:30. It's now 9:39 and I haven't experienced any hunger........ yet!, lol

Taking extreme care with my diet and staying 100% raw is absolutely crucial right now, because economically things appear stressful at the moment. (I'm even thinking of water fasting every other day to save money and teach myself not to need food when it's not available.) Because of the economic downturn, my earnings from busking have dwindled shockingly-- I used to make good money, but for example 2 days ago I played for 2-1/2 hours and made only $4.00! It's been similar on other days that I've played recently too. I think folks are really holding onto their money right now. My job as a sound monitor is also VERY late starting up again this year. We were promised last year that we'd start up the program this year on in April and begin working on May 1st, but as of this week, the Director hasn't even looked at the applicants' resumes yet to hire a third monitor to work with us, so it looks like we'll be starting around July 1st again.

Enough bad news-- I had a great birthday last week, and yesterday Jonathan and I were visited by 'the lovely Mona' and her husband Michael, as well as her extended family. Mona, you looked wonderful, btw, and it was great to finally meet Padre Mickey and your beautiful daughter and her adorable kiddos. We met at the Boston Public Gardens in the children's playground area, and it was a gorgeous day.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 09, 2009 06:39PM

Nice reading this thread Kwan about all your recent escapades, your gardening, and your juice fasting!

Sounds like you're having a wonderful Spring season. smiling smiley

Date: June 11, 2009 12:14AM

---never mind... just a bad day---

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2009 12:16AM by kwan.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 11, 2009 01:34AM

Kwan, oh! I'm so sorry.

Shucks! Well, good thing tomorrow will come around just in time!

Please rest well tonight, and make sure you get plenty of hugs from Jonathan.

We'll all be sending you love vibes. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~smiling smiley

Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables