Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Tuning in
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 08, 2009 09:55PM

I think I'm ready to start a diary. Don't know how long it will last, but everyone here is such an inspiration, I wanted to join in!

I do OK with staying raw, but still have a few issues with my diet and health that could be improved. Yesterday I started water fasting, and intend to carry it on for a few days -although it could end in a few minutes. smiling smiley That's the way it happens with me sometimes.

Mainly, my goal is to clean out some and lose a little weight. I'm not exactly overweight now, but I'm small and very small-boned, kind of a runt, and any extra weight doesn't set right with me.

I'm 5'1". Started fasting at 91 lbs. Today I weigh 89.8.

Also, I have this little thing inside my lip, a bit of a lesion, and I'd like to see if fasting will get rid of it. Many years ago, I used to smoke cigarettes.

Last year, around May I think, I water-fasted for 9 days, which is my record. I
might try to go a little further this time.

I can easily tell when I need to clean out, because my eyes become swollen. For a couple of months before and after my fast last year, I fasted twice a week. It really helped prepare me for a longer fast, and afterwards it helped me stay clean. But then I left out some of the weekly fasting, and my exercising slacked off a bit, and even though I've stayed raw the whole time, my eyes are swollen again.

I've gained about 6 pounds since the longer fast, which isn't too bad, but I'd rather not have it.

So, that's about it. So far, so good.

Happy day everyone!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tuning in
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 08, 2009 10:04PM

suncloud i have one of those little lesions on my lip too .. basically right where my cigarette used to sit on the inside of my lip, it used to be quite noticble .. well to me anyways .. my tongue always would hit it .. it was about the size of a 1/4 pea .. now its flat an almost gone .. i can still feel it if i dig around but its definitely gone down in the last few years smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 08, 2009 10:52PM

Good deal Jodi! I'm encouraged!

Date: February 09, 2009 11:22PM

Well, shucks.

Yesterday night around 7 PM, I couldn't get those bananas off my mind that were sitting in a box in my laundry room. Pretty soon, one thing led to another, and there I was with a tummy full of fruit and some seeds.

So now today, I'm fasting again so far, but I don't feel particularly strong about it with all those bananas still sitting around in my laundry room. Perfect bananas too, all yellow and barely spotty. Grown and harvested by yours truly.

RRRRG.

Well, I know I should keep this fast going. I like to feel good. Sometimes, in my case, that requires feeling hungry for a little while.

So I won't eat those bananas for a little while longer. At least for another hour or so! smiling smiley Could be, I'll even make it until tomorrow without them (or could be I won't).

Weighed 90.2 this morning.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2009 11:28PM by suncloud.

Posted by: meow ()
Date: February 10, 2009 01:16AM

I don't blame you, suncloud- perfectly overripe spotty bananas are irresistible! They are my weakness, too.

I admire you for having the strength to fast for a day regularly. I would love to incorporate one day of complete fasting per week, but I'm not sure how I could get through the day. I have an active/physically demanding job and also run and lift weights regularly. Are/were you able to keep up with regular daily activities on your fasting days, or did you usually lay low and rest on those days?

Best of luck to you in resisting those bananas ;-)

Date: February 10, 2009 02:36AM

Thanks for the luck wish meow! smiling smiley

I will keep your wish for tomorrow, since I already did the banana thing today - again!

When I'm on schedule doing a single day fast at a time, I usually do an hour of yoga in the morning and then lay low for the rest of the day. Sometimes though I can work while fasting. The days that I eat (when on scedule), I run and/or do a routine with weights. Kind of hard at first, but after I while, I could do it.

The past few months have been full of distractions from my normal routine. Now I feel a bit out of practice. I'm trying to get back to it. I'd really like to start with a few days fast. (Maybe just 3? or something) I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks again meow!smiling smiley

And good luck to you to on your Journey Towards Freedom! I'll be happy to be running again like you are!

So sorry about the cat attack! Hope you're OK.

Date: February 10, 2009 09:55PM

Weight: 89.8

Ate fruit and an avo yesterday. Still not back into the fast, as I already ate fruit and a half avo today.

I have to go to town for errands today, and just don't like the feeling of going around town on hunger mode.

Feeling ready though. We'll see how I do tomorrow. Tomorrow's a fast day anyway, if I stay on schedule for twice a week.

I'll give it one more try for a longer fast, and if it doesn't happen, I'll set myself back on regular schedule.

Happy day, everyone!

Date: February 12, 2009 07:20AM

Water fasted today, and just ready to go to bed. That puts me on regular schedule, which I'm happy about, but I'd still like to go for a few extra days, if possible.

Ate fruit, a half avo, and seeds yesterday. Weighed 90.4 this morning.

Happy day, everyone!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 12, 2009 04:12PM

Your self-discipline is really inspiring, Suncloud. Wow, I can't even remember when I weighed 90 pounds-- maybe back in grade school? ;-p How tall are you?

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 12, 2009 06:29PM

Sharrhan, I'm only 5'1"!

I'm very small-boned, and just a little extra weight sits on me all wrong. Terrible genes. I'm a runt. smiling smiley

Fasted yesterday. This morning I weigh 89.2. My eyes are very swollen, but that's the usual on my 2nd day if I'm not very clean to begin with. I seem to have an automatic eyeometer for measuring inner body grunge. I've been staying raw, but not always on schedule to fast, and not always exercising - which makes a huge difference for me.

Will try to continue water fast today.

Date: February 13, 2009 06:10AM

Continued water fasting today. (Day 2) Feeling pretty good. Took lots of flower pictures to try to learn more about my camera.

(Warning: Don't try water or dry fasting for longer than a couple of days at a time, unless you are healthy and have considerable raw food/vegan experience, or unless you are monitored by a physician with fasting experience.)

(trying to keep folks out of the ER)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2009 06:14AM by suncloud.

Date: February 13, 2009 08:49PM

Still water fasting. Made it to Day 3.

Felt a little raunchy this morning, but now I feel OK.

Happy day, everyone!

Date: February 14, 2009 07:15AM

Made it through Day 3.

I actually did some work today outside in my vegetable garden. And harvested some stuff, including green bananas to eat when I'm off my fast (I can't let them get yellow on the stalk, cause they'll get bug larvae in them).

Bummer though. I got bit by a centipede. I pressed my hand against him by mistake. OUCH! It was painful for a while but now all gone.

My major challenge is that I've been having trouble with a toothache. I had it a little at the start, but didn't think it would be too bad. It's getting quite painful now at times. I have a few antibiotics, but don't want to take them since I'm not eating. I hate to take them anyway.

Hopefully, the tooth will be better tomorrow. I can't go to the dentist until Monday anyway. If I have to, I'll break the fast then.

Weighed 88.2 this morning (not to worry anybody. That's not particularly light for me).

(Warning: Don't try water or dry fasting for longer than a couple of days at a time, unless you are healthy and have considerable raw food/vegan experience, or unless you are monitored by a physician with fasting experience.)

Happy Day Everyone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 07:20AM by suncloud.

Date: February 14, 2009 09:49PM

Made it to Day 4 of the water fast!

I'm very happy about that.

I feel good. Kind of slow and weak, but that's expected. Not much dizziness when getting up. Even my tooth feels a little better. Eyes are still swollen though, and I feel I should go longer if I can.

Weighed 87 this morning.

Happy Valentines Day Everyone!

Date: February 15, 2009 07:29PM

Made it to Day 5 on the water fast!

I'm feeling much weaker this morning, and hoping it will pass.

My eyes are still a little swollen in the morning, which is surprising. Usually my eyes are clear by the third day. For the past couple of days, they've been clear by around noon, so that's an improvement.

Toothache is almost completely gone. What a relief! Been rinsing my mouth with salt water and tea tree oil, so if the problem was an infection, maybe that (and the fast) helped. Will be seeing my dentist on Feb.25, but if the tooth gets bad again, I can go in sooner.

I have a wart on my arm that appears to be a little smaller. Last year when I fasted, there was a wart under my arm. I was putting tea tree oil on it, and the wart fell off. Joel Fuhrman talks about a wart falling off during his fast too. In my case, I think it was the fast combined with the tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is pretty amazing.

Weighed 85.8 this morning. Been losing around a pound a day. I'd like (ideally) for this fast to go 12 days. I usually don't make it to whatever I think is ideal though. And of course, the fast could end in 10 minutes! But currently, the resolve remains.

(I will repeat my warning: Don't try water or dry fasting for longer than a couple of days at a time, unless you are healthy and have considerable raw food/vegan experience, or unless you are monitored by a physician with fasting experience)

Happy DAY Everyone!

Posted by: tglasco4 ()
Date: February 15, 2009 09:52PM

Hey Suncloud. You're doing great. You sound like a seasoned pro with regard to water fasting. 85lbs? Sounds like you most certainly are getting everything out of the system that is foreign. Way to go!

Grace and peace be multiplied.

todd

Date: February 16, 2009 02:44AM

Why thank you Todd!

I broke my fast today though. Not sure exactly why. The thought got into my brain to eat, and so I did.

Maybe I should have read Todd's encouraging message first! smiling smiley

That's OK though. I was starting to feel that I was getting too far behind in my work. I started the laundry, and that was hard. We don't have a dryer, so it means hanging everything, plus taking down the dry stuff, plus folding, and I had several loads to do. Doesn't seem too hard of course, but I felt pretty wiped out this morning.

I don't mind that I ate, but now my tooth hurts again! I'll be going to the dentist tomorrow!

I ate 2 papayas, 5 or 6 bananas, 3 oranges, and an avocado. I felt stuffed! Then I had a couple of good @#$%&, and now I feel perfect (except for my tooth).

MIGHT try eating for a few days (and EXERCISING - I miss that), and then fasting a few days again. I feel I've got further to go. In "Rational Fasting", Arnold Ehret said that a series of short fasts (3 days or so) can be better than one long fast. That might be true in my case right now, since I've lost some muscle over the past year.

Happy Day Everyone!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 16, 2009 03:11AM

Suncloud,
You get a gold star for your perseverence and self-determination! '*'

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 16, 2009 09:04PM

Oh thank you Sharrhan for the support, and the star! smiling smiley

Today I found out I can't go to the dentist because they're closed for Presidents Day. My tooth is still hurting, but thank goodness, not so bad as last night after I ate.

Which means I HAVE to fast today. If I eat again, I know the pain will be like last night, and that was REALLY bad.

It was so bad in fact, that I took half a pain pill last night. I KNEW it was the wrong thing to do, especially on the day of breaking the fast. I almost NEVER take pain pills. But the pain was so bad, I caved. The pill took the pain away for most of the night, but my stomach became very nauseated, and is just now finally starting to feel better.

I dread tomorrow, which will probably involve novacaine or whatever. I plan on eating cucumbers before I go - less fruit sugar on the tooth. It's about a 70 mile drive from here to the dentist. Life is a challenge.

But today is a nice bright sunny day. I did an hour of yoga this morning and will do some much needed garden work. The recent fast has given me new energy, and I feel it will be easy to fast today.

Weighed 86 this morning.

Happy Day Everyone! (sorry about the whining)

Date: February 17, 2009 07:51PM

Fasted yesterday. Weight 84.8 this morning.

My tooth hurt all day yesterday, but after fasting, it feels incredibly better today. Very interesting. I have an appointment with my dentist today. smiling smiley

Happy Day Everone!

Date: February 17, 2009 07:51PM

Fasted yesterday. The fast was very easy, except that my tooth hurt. I got pretty much done outside. Weighed 84.8 this morning.

My tooth hurt all day yesterday, but after fasting, it feels incredibly better today. Very interesting. I have an appointment with my dentist today. smiling smiley

Happy Day Everone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 07:53PM by suncloud.

Date: February 18, 2009 05:50AM

Ate 2 cucumbers and an avocado this morning.

The dentist told me I needed a route canal. That's a big relief, since I thought he'd have to pull the tooth!

I have to schedule for later this week. Got my teeth cleaned though.

The dentist told me that the reason an inflamed tooth hurts when we eat sweet fruit is that liquids from the inflamed pulp of the tooth are drawn out of the tooth (osmosis) by the sugar in the fruit. That action causes pain to the sensitive nerves in there.

Didn't think to ask him if fruit sugar draws out liquids from a healthy tooth, and what that means for whether or not we should be eating fruit.

Well, whatever the case, I'm staying raw, and I can't imagine what raw would be like without lots of fruit. The best strategy (for me) might be to keep working on taking really good care of my teeth in every other way.

My theory is that over centuries of mushy cooked food eating, our teeth genes have degenerated, since we're no longer using them like we should. It seems to me that wild animals are able to keep more of their teeth.

Just a theory.

This evening I ate 3 cucumbers and several macadamia nuts (they were great). Have to stay away from sweet fruit until I get this route canal.

Happy Day Everyone!

Date: February 18, 2009 08:23PM

Weighed 84.6 this morning.

That's a little less than yesterday, even after all those macadamia nuts last night. I must have eaten at least 20.

But they were great. Felt fine afterwards, and even did my heavyhands weights routine. I'm happy that I had an avocado for the morning "break"fast though.

I like to eat seeds too, but I think nuts are a little mellower.

I'm going back on regular schedule at least for a few days, since tomorrow is another dentist day, and the weekend is coming up. My husband and I have been putting off a good hike for too long. But I feel I still have a ways to go on my inner house-cleaning. We'll see how next week will go.

My eyes are a lot clearer, and I feel very energetic.

Happy Day Everyone!

Date: February 20, 2009 06:57AM

Yesterday I had cucumbers, macadamia nuts, a papaya, and a couple handfuls of raw jungle peanuts. I did an hour of yoga, and ran 1 mile.

Weighed 84.8 this morning. Did an hour of yoga.

I was trying not to eat any sweet fruit because of my tooth, but I felt hungry without it, and I didn't want to eat too much nuts (so I ate the papaya - it was great!). Afterwards, I brushed, used my waterpik, and rinsed with salt water and tea tree oil, and the tooth was fine.

Today was route canal day. The dentist said the nerve inside the tooth was already gone, so it was pushing for an abcess. He says he thinks we caught it on time, but I'm not quite sure. It's hurting pretty much right now. Maybe it's just bruising from the route canal. Hope so. I don't want to lose the tooth.

Ate 3 papayas, maybe 4 small bananas, a cucumber, macadamia nuts, 1/2 avocado, and a salad of red lettuce, arugula, cilantro, strips of nori, garlic, and tomatoes, with olive oil and lemon juice dressing, another 1/4 avocado, and some raw wheat germ.

I bet I'm a little heavier tomorrow!

Happy Day Everyone!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 07:08AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 20, 2009 06:40PM

oh no sorry bout the tooth problems ! what a drag !

hope yer feeling better today smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 21, 2009 04:59AM

Hi Jodi!

My tooth is all better! So happy!

Thanks for dropping by and expressing your concern. smiling smiley

Fasted today, on schedule.

My plan for now is to stay on schedule for fasting twice a week, get in as much work and exercise as possible, stay raw, then go for a few more days fast either next week, or maybe in a couple of weeks, depending on what else is happening in my life.

Really looking forward to tomorrow, because my husband and I will go for a long hike (if the weather is good).

Weighed 85.8 this morning. Did an hour of yoga.

Happy Day Everyone!

Date: February 22, 2009 04:50AM

Weighed 84.8 this morning.

Went for a 10 mile hike through some fairly strenous terrain. It was fun! Lots of beautiful forest. My favorite thing to do! smiling smiley

We haven't done this for about 10 months, and my legs could definitely be stronger. The last year has been way too full of distractions. This year should be better, so we'll go on more hikes again.

Ate 4 oranges, about 2/3 of a BIG avocado, I think 5 small bananas, macadamia nuts, a tomato.

Happy Day Everyone!

Posted by: tglasco4 ()
Date: February 22, 2009 05:22PM

Hey that sounds like a beautiful day Suncloud. 10 mile hike? wow. Did you find that being out in the open air made you eat more, less or the same as usual?

Grace and Peace be multiplied.

todd

Date: February 22, 2009 07:42PM

Hi todd.

smiling smiley

Before the hike, I ate 2 oranges and about 1/3 of a large avocado (breaking the previous day's fast). That probably helped keep me from being hungry during the hike. I wasn't hungry when we reached the destination to stop and eat, but I ate a big juicy orange and maybe 5 macadamia nuts anyway, since I figured it would keep me from being hungry on the way back.

After the hike, I WAS hungry.

This morning I weigh 85.2, so I gained a little weight (in muscle, maybe, I hope).

Happy Day Everyone!

Date: February 23, 2009 05:52AM

Today (Sunday) was a salad day.

I had 2 oranges, maybe 5 small bananas, a lovely strawberry papaya eaten with a small avocado (mmm), about 10 macadamia nuts, 2 tomatoes, 2 small handfuls of raw jungle peanuts, and a salad with red lettuce, purple mustard spinach, cilantro, another tomato, garlic, sprouted kamut, nori flakes, lemon juice and olive oil.

Did an hour of yoga this morning, and about 40 minutes of heavyhands workout (3 lb weights) this evening.

Tomorrow should be a fast day if I stay on schedule for twice a week.

My eyes are unswollen most of the time now, even in the early morning. There was just a little swelling in one eyelid the morning after my last fast.

Happy Day Everyone!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables