Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Tuning in
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 20, 2009 09:31PM

Hi Sundancer!

Hope you tried those dandelion flowers and you're enjoying them!

Yesterday I still had just fruit, plus a couple of pink hibiiscus flowers and a few yellow ginger flowers (which I love!). Yellow ginger flowers taste like ginger, with a ginger sweet tang. Very good.

I've been eating only fruit and flowers starting June 15 - meaning no avocados (although avocados are a fruit), no nuts/seeds, and no greens or sprouted grains, etc. This is unusual for me, but I really want to clear up whatever's going on with my tooth or sinus or whatever. There's no pain anymore, but that doesn't mean it's totally cleared up, and I just want to make sure.

Did 50 minutes of weights yesterday, and ran 2 miles. Surprisingly, my weight is staying the same, but I'm eating a lot of fruit. smiling smiley

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 23, 2009 09:04AM

Yesterday, my weight dropped another pound, and I got really hungry. So I ended up eating about 4 small leaves of red lettuce, some nori, about 3/4 of an avocado, 1/4 cup each of sesame seeds and sunflower seeds, plus fruit.

My tooth was feeling so good that I'd forgotten all about it,......until after I ate all of that; and then a couple of hours later, my tooth started hurting.

Today my tooth is a little better again. I ate fruit and just 1/4 cup sesame seeds. I'll see how my tooth feels tomorrow. Maybe just a quarter cup of nuts/seeds is OK.

Got my Essie Honiball book today, "I Live On Fruit". She ate only fruits and nuts. I'm interested in what she has to say, although I'd really prefer to be able to eat more greens if that's ever possible!

I did yoga today but that's all.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 09:06AM by suncloud.

Date: June 24, 2009 08:25PM

Aloha!

Yesterday and the day before, I only had lots of fruit and 1/4 cup of sesame seeds each day. My tooth feels fine, so I guess I'll continue with this for a while. I'm feeling pretty satisfied, surprisingly.

Running: When I first restricted the greens (over a month ago now), my running became very difficult. My body just felt stiff and didn't want to run. The entire run was like a battle against the stiffness, even after doing yoga and working outside. Last week, I ate only fruit for 6 days - no avos, no greens, no nuts/seeds, no dried fruits - and my running immediately felt easier - like the first day. No aches or pains or resistance. Then I ate just a small portion of greens on Sunday, and immediately felt a swelling in my legs. I also had seeds and some avocado, but the swelling occurred right after eating the greens.

Yesterday, after 2 days of lots of fruit and a few sesame seeds, my running was absolutely incredible! I wasn't running, I was gliding!. I barely felt like I was touching the ground. I would have run further than my usual 2 miles, but didn't have time before dark. It was great though. Maybe today I can allow more time to run and go a little further.

The other thing about running is that I often have to struggle with side cramps when I run. That's not happening anymore since last week when I ate all fruit. No side cramps. I think they came from too much nuts/seeds (or could be from greens or both).

Marathon, here I come! Just kidding, .......but.......maybe when I'm 60, I'll celebrate with a marathon. smiling smiley Maybe!

And I notice that I'm actually starting to develop a little muscle in my arms. Very happy about that.

I have to keep in mind that these effects may be temporary rather than longterm if there's something I'm missing. But meanwhile, I obviously need the cleanout, and I'm learning a few things.

Like, nuts and seeds are good, but they really do need to be restricted to a very moderate amount. I don't usually feel bad when I eat more than I need, but there's definitely a difference when I run.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 08:38PM by suncloud.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 25, 2009 04:07PM

>Yesterday, after 2 days of lots of fruit and a few sesame seeds, my running was absolutely incredible!<

Suncloud! I'm fascinated, reading your food journaling about the effects of different food combinations on your body. This is wonderful. I'm dealing with some stiffness in my lower back and hip joints, and haven't figured out what works better or worse for me yet. You've given me some great 'food for thought.' :-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 26, 2009 06:38AM

Hi Sharrhan!

Isn't it amazing that there's always so much more to learn on this journey?! Well, at least we've got it narrowed down to raw food. We do know that much! And that's fantastic! smiling smiley

Yesterday, I ran again. It felt good, but not quite so good as the day before. I ate the same thing - fruits and 1/4 cup sesame seeds.

Today, I had fruit first, 1/4 cup sesame seeds later, and then 1/4 cup sunflower seeds. But I decided I really wanted some greens, so I ate a nori roll with red lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, green onion, olive oil (no ripe avos right now), and lemon juice.

I can see that I really do want greens about twice a week or so, usually. It may be that I'll be going back to fasting twice a week. That worked really well for me. We'll see how I am tomorrow. The fasting may be easier for me than keeping to a continuously restrictive diet (no greens, or very little).

Or, maybe if I just eat less (nuts/seeds/greens), I can fast just once a week. smiling smiley

I feel like I did learn something though this time around about the importance of moderation. The more fruit I eat, the more moderate I can be with nuts/seeds/greens - up to a point. It's indeed a balancing act!

Date: July 12, 2009 04:09AM

Well, I haven't been here for a few days.

Been sticking it out with just fruits, flowers, seeds, some occasional avocado. No greens since my last post, but I sometimes miss them a lot. I think I'll be eating greens again soon.

My seed/avo consumption has been way low (for me). Just 1/4 cup of seeds and lots of fruit and a few flowers, sometimes 1/2 cup seeds or an avocado.

I haven't been exercising as much as I should, but day before yesterday, I ran 5 miles (like a turtle). And then yesterday, I ran 5 miles again! Just thought I'd see if I could do it. And did 50 minutes of weights routine both days right after the run. My legs felt it, but they didn't feel sore. smiling smiley

Despite the good runs, I'm not feeling like my current routine is optimal for me. I might go back to fasting at least once a week so I can eat a little more. If I eat anymore than this without the fasting, my weight goes up like a rocket, and I'm uncomfortable. I like to eat though. smiling smiley

Fasting today.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2009 04:10AM by suncloud.

Date: July 14, 2009 10:30PM

Well, to catch up.

-Saturday: yoga and fasted.

-Sunday: fruit, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, and 2 nori rolls with nori, lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, garlic, lemon juice, and cold-pressed olive oil (instead of avocado, darn, no avos around the house).

Ran another 5 miles! and did 50 minutes weights routine.

-Monday: yoga and fasted.

Now I'm seriously considering a marathon - maybe by the time I'm 60 (another year and a few months to go)! I had a great phone talk with my son. We walked a marathon together several years ago. He's run 5 or 6.

It was fun checking out the marathon times for the different age classes at the 2008 Honolulu Marathon.

Talk about INSPIRATION! At age 81, Betty Jean McHugh ran the Honolulu marathon in 4 hours: 49 minutes: 44 seconds, beating her time from the year before! She finished before all the men in her age class (80-84) and before all the women age 75-79.

The world record holder for the women's 80-84 age class is still Helen Klein, who ran the Sacramento marathon in 4 hours: 31 minutes: 32 seconds. At 82, Helen Klein still runs ultramarathons (races longer than the standard 26.2 mile marathon distance, usually 31 miles [50k] or 50 miles, but often longer)!

From today's Sport section of the New York Times:

Helen Klein, who at 82 continues to compete in ultramarathons, says the body adjusts. "When I'm doing a marathon, I say, 'I'll rest this afternoon,'" said Klein, who lives in Rancho Cordova, Calif. "When I'm doing a 50-miler I say, 'I'll rest tonight.' When I'm doing a 100-miler, I say, 'I'll rest tomorrow.'"

Both women started running in their 50s.

I plan on holding the world record for women's 100+ age class. That will give me some time to train. smiling smiley

Date: July 15, 2009 09:13PM

Oops! The quote above was published on June 6, 2005. The name of the article is "RUNNING; Miles to Go Before They Sleep":

[query.nytimes.com]

Yesterday I had lots of fruit, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds.

Ran 7 miles! Then did 50 minutes of weights routine. I don't feel sore today at all, but I think I'll keep the daily mileage down around 4 or 5 for a while and then do one longer run a week. Many of the better runners follow a similar routine, but their weekly long runs are very long.

I'm stoked about the running! I was always struggling with running cramps before I lowered the quantity of nuts/seeds/avos. No more (so far)! I'm still eating those foods, and I still think they're necessary (at least for me), but I'm eating less of them.

I had fruit and a handful of jungle peanuts so far today (inspired by Todd).

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Date: July 17, 2009 08:55PM

On Wednesday, I had fruit, handful of jungle peanuts, 1/4 cup sesame seeds.

Did yoga, but no running or weights (resting and didn't feel like it).

Thursday, did yoga and ran. At first I just had fruits and a handful of peanuts. I ran 4 miles in the evening, and then later got really, really, hungry. Had watermelon, still very, very hungry. Had another handful of peanuts, some dried mango, some cucumber, still very, very hungry. Had two nori rolls with the works: red lettuce, shredded green cabbage, alfalfa sprouts, garlic, lemon juice, raw wheat germ, cold-pressed olive oil, turmeric, and lemon juice.

No longer hungry. smiling smiley

Even after all that food, I lost weight, so I guess that's why I was so hungry. Must be the running. My eyes are a little swollen this morning, but otherwise I feel fine.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2009 09:01PM by suncloud.

Date: July 30, 2009 08:52PM

An update:

Eating fruits and usually a small amt. nuts, seeds, and/or avo a day. Every few days, I have greens and nori.

Running: Thursday - 5 1/3 mi., Saturday - 4 mil., Monday - 2 1/3 mi., Wednesday - 7 mi.

Had a little trouble with left leg on Monday, but by Wednesday it was fine, and got the great runner's high in my 5th mile or so. Want to keep it up! Need to wear a wider shoe though. My toes hurt on my left foot. I'm small, but my feet are so wide!

Yoga nearly every morning, weights maybe 3 or 4 times last week.

I'd love to fast a day (or more), but I'm just too busy lately.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Date: August 05, 2009 06:25PM

Another update:

Eating fruits, nuts, seeds everyday, and greens(!) every other day - sometimes even 2 days in a row.

The running is really helping me. I feel like I can actually eat without having to pay for it (with fasting). Running is usually a lot more fun than fasting, although fasting definitely has its merits!

My left foot is bothering me some. I'm running every other day, so that gives my foot a little time to heal between runs, but I'm wondering if I can run through this or if I need to take a few days' break from the running. I don't want to take a break!

I got a wider pair of shoes: 4E! That helps a lot.

My only other complaint is that I have to run in the rain a lot where I live. I don't get too cold because of the time of year, but my shoes get very wet and heavy. Well, I will try to look on the bright side and think, "maybe this will make me stronger"!

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Date: August 29, 2009 06:56AM

Updating again,

I seem to be doing better and better with the way that I'm feeling, my running, etc.

I'm up to 8 miles on my long runs (once a week). Then I break for a day, run 5 miles, break again, run 4 miles, run 4 miles again, then break again. It's working very well (so far). Absolutely zero running cramps.

The 8-mile runs are kind of difficult toward the end, but I tell myself, "OK, this is how a marathon feels - get used to it!" I'm serious now about running a marathon.

My only complaint is that my left foot has been sore - and a little swollen on top - since before I got my wider shoes. I'm trying to ignore it, and I think it's getting better.

Staying all raw. Eating greens is becoming much easier for me with the running. I started adding chlorella to my greens for the Omega-3. I really like the taste. The kind I got is in tablets. It's labeled "raw" though. I mash several tabs and add that to my salads or nori rolls. It's great combined with shredded green cabbage.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Date: September 03, 2009 05:48AM

I tried my 8 mile run a couple of days ago, and couldn't do it. Waaaaa! Around 5 miles, I got a serious running cramp. Well, it confirmed my theory, because a few hours prior to the run, I'd eaten a whole avocado and a handful of walnuts.

So today, I had just fruit all day, with 1/4 cup sesame seeds a couple of hours before the run. The run was great! Went 8 miles and hardly felt tired at all by the end. My left foot isn't hardly sore anymore either, so that's a relief.

I just wish my shoes were a smidge wider still. I don't know how I have such wide feet. I feel like a platypus. My shoes already look like I'm standing in boats, but they still feel too narrow. I can't go any wider than a 4E, so the only thing to do is go a size larger.

Could be worse though. My son was born with 6 toes on each foot (and 6 fingers too - on each hand). He's had the extra toes removed so he could wear shoes, but there's still extra bone there, and that makes it hard for fitting into shoes.

How come my dog doesn't have to wear shoes? Huh?!

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 07, 2009 10:30AM

hah ! i have wide platypus feet too .. and worse .. narrow ankles .. makes finding shoes a real pain smiling smiley what fits the front of my foot , makes my ankles slip .. what fits the back of my foot is too tight for the front

what a pain !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: September 08, 2009 06:17AM

That's me exactly Jodi!

Date: September 18, 2009 07:53PM

Something really weird happened to me the other day.

I was running my long distance (8 miles), and on about the 6th mile, I felt like there was a big glob of something in my throat. I tried to cough it up and spit it out, but it was stuck. I tried to swallow, but it felt like my epiglottis was stuck in the wrong position. I could feel it in my throat trying to right itself when I swallowed, but the glob of stuff was in the way.

I kept running anyway, but it was kind of scary. When I came home, I drank lots of water, and eventually, my swallowing was back to normal. Then the next morning, I couldn't @#$%&.

I think it was from the chlorella I'd eaten the day before. I ate about 3 tablespoons of it probably. The chlorella is dried and concentrated, and my body doesn't digest green stuff that well anyway. For 5 whole days afterward, my @#$%& was really dark green, even though I ate nothing but fruits and nuts/seeds.

Finally this morning, I have papaya-colored @#$%&, and I feel a lot better. smiling smiley

After that experience, I'm a little afraid of eating greens. But I guess I just have to eat less chlorella. Anyway, that's my theory, so I'll see how it works. Shucks, I really liked the chlorella!

Posted by: Arrow ()
Date: September 19, 2009 12:02AM

That does sound bizarre. Glad you're ok!

Arrow xx

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 19, 2009 03:56AM

Wow..I agree maybe try taking smaller amount of the stuff..or try some liquid one, there is a liquid made out of Nettles..it's so green it will turn your veins deep blue. Must be the heavy oxidation due to the effect of the Nettles.

It probably helps clean out mucous membranes, so that would be a good thing.

Love,
Prism

Date: September 26, 2009 06:09PM

Thanks Arrow and Prism!

I'm feeling better now. smiling smiley

I've eaten some greens since then, but no chlorella; and I haven't had a problem (so far).

I'm still running, but had to cut way down last week to find enough time to study. I'm not happy about that, but my grades have to be my priority right now. So far, I have an A in everything, and want to keep that up! It's more strenuous though than running; and if I'm not careful, I can let my health slide.

Still staying all raw though. I don't think I could possibly handle my current schedule if I were not.

Still doing yoga, but only 4-5 days/week due to my schedule. No weights for at least a couple of weeks. Just been very busy. Hope this will taper off a bit so I can get a little more exercise!

OK. Have to go.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: September 28, 2009 01:49PM

I have been reading your journal and it is very inspireing thankyou for shareing your life. Keep up the great work
Love Pam

Date: September 28, 2009 05:23PM

Thank you so much Pam! smiling smiley

Date: June 20, 2011 07:28AM

Well, I'm back here, at least for today. It's been awhile!

Still raw. My exercise schedule is definitely not what it was in the previous posts, but it's OK. I'm running 4 miles, usually at least 3X/week, and alternating with days where I do my weights routine. I'm still doing Yoga, but lately only 3 or 4 days/week.

I've been eating too much! I started fasting again 1 day/week. That might be why I'm overeating, but I felt like I needed the fasts. I might try for 2 days/week, at least temporarily.

My schedule still includes a lot of stuff, more than I can handle; but for the next year, I'm on my own time (thank goodness).

In a couple of days, I'll find out if I can continue with my late-in-life dream of becoming a dietitian. I'm waiting to hear from my supervisor at the Medical Center(where I volunteer) whether she will consent to be a preceptor for my "practice experience", beginning in Fall, 2012. If not, then that's that. Hopefully, I'll find out on Tuesday (all fingers and toes crossed!).

Hope everyone's happy today!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2011 07:35AM by suncloud.

Date: June 24, 2011 09:35AM

Well, I didn't find out anything from my supervisor, because she was not at work on Tuesday. Darn. Oh well.

I broke my wrist last fall, when my husband fell on me. I fell backwards, and caught his weight and my weight on my wrists. One wrist was sprained, the other broken. The broken wrist is still not 100%, but improving. Before I broke my wrist, I was finally up to using 5 pound weights. Now I'm back to 5 pounds again!

Seems like I can eat more greens than I used to eat, especially when I exercise regularly and fast once/week. My big thing right now is a nori roll with kelp noodles (yum, yum, yum), greens, avocado, shredded carrots, bell pepper, (sometimes garlic), and lemon juice. So good!

OK, bedtime. Fast tomorrow (I hope).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2011 09:41AM by suncloud.

Date: June 25, 2011 01:48AM

Fasting today, so far.........

Date: June 26, 2011 09:00PM

The fast was good (just one day).

I'm still working on trying to eat greens everyday. Most of my greens symptoms are not as bad as they used to be. Eating kelp seems to help. (rhymes) Also, lots of exercise.

My zinc is consistently low, and I'm wondering if raising my zinc level will help with metabolizing greens. It barely reaches the EAR (Estimated Average Requirement); and according to current research, vegans should actually get 50% more, because zinc from plant sources is not absorbed as easily (Not necessarily true, but not necessarily false either).

Maybe raising the zinc level will help with metabolizing greens. More Driscol RASPBERRIES! (and some other stuff)

OK, it's late, time to start the day!

Have a happy one!

Date: July 01, 2011 08:36PM

It's Friday (fasting day).

Still no word from my supervisor about the "practice experience" toward becoming a dietitian. I'm becoming a little worried, but I should know for sure this Tuesday.

Time for yoga.

Have a happy day!

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables