Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Tuning in
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 07, 2009 06:16AM

Fasted today (Friday), and just about ready to go to bed. I'll maybe have a smoothie tomorrow. Not quite sure yet. Might just have whole fruit (There's a jackfruit waiting for me!).

Weighed 86.6 this morning.

Might do just fruit tomorrow. We'll see.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 07, 2009 09:36PM

I'm happy to have made it through the fast yesterday.

Weighed 85.4 this morning (Saturday).

Didn't do smoothies after all. But so far, just fruit: a jackfruit, a few bananas, and a cucumber with lemon juice.

Kind of pleasantly nervous about tonight. We have family here, and they've had their own band for many years. They've done a lot of environmental shows, playing on portable solar power. They're performing tonight at an indoor stage, with a full-on light show. My husband and I will be taking photos. We're presently just very amateur photographers, so we hope we can take something worth saving, and giving to the band. With the light show and all, it will be a challenge. And definitely a different kind of evening (for us these days)!

smiling smiley

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2009 09:39PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 08, 2009 06:07PM

how did the show go ? smiling smiley did you get lots of pics?

ive been dabbling in photography the last couple of months since i got aquarium fish .. it can be very challenging getting great shots and then sometimes i just pull one off thats just amazing smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: gold rush ()
Date: March 08, 2009 08:37PM

well, I admit it. I just read your diary.

to add to the slew of similar comments....you're very inspiring. may I ask how old you are? I sense some of me in your entries, so I'm guessing in your mid-twenties.

are you concerned that your metabolism will slow by fasting so regularly? sorry to ask such a toxic question. I wonder about this for myself...I mean to say that something seems to sync about one-day fasts every few days. Like in the natural world...that day or two once in a while when it's too hot or rainy or just unlucky to find any food.

hmmm.

lot's of thoughts.

thanks for the energy!

Date: March 08, 2009 11:22PM

Jgunn, HI!

I've seen some of your fish pictures, and I liked them a lot!

We took lots and lots of pictures, but we'd never photographed a concert before, and didn't know what to expect.

The best pictures were the ones taken "by the book" (for concerts): wide open aperture, spot metering. But we couldn't tell if they were good from viewing the playback on the LCD, so we experimented a lot; and many pictures didn't come out good AT ALL. Unfortunately, ALL the better pictures were taken of the opening acts, before the band came on.

I think my best photo was of a bellydancer during a drumming session at the beginning of the show. smiling smiley

We learned A LOT though. There will be 2 or 3 more shows, and we plan on trying again! (if at first you don't succeed...)

smiling smiley

Date: March 09, 2009 12:00AM

Hi gold rush!

Actually I'm 58 and a grandma, so I very much appreciate your compliment! And it's so nice to know that we're able to communicate, despite our age differences.

To answer your question about metabolism (as best I can): It seems to me that whether or not I'm fasting, as long as I stay raw, my metabolism is about the same. But EXERCISE really does seem to make a difference. As long as I can combine my fasting with sufficient exercise, I can keep my metabolism up.

For instance, if I fast and then don't begin exercising soon after, my weight wants to go right back up. But if I fast and I begin exercising ASAP, my weight stays lower.

By the way, I just downloaded your pics (from your diary). Wow! I think all the pictures are good, but especially the 4th. What kind of exercise were you doing?

smiling smiley

Date: March 09, 2009 12:21AM

This morning (Sunday), I weighed 86.2.

Ate only fruit yesterday (including 1/2 an avocado) before the concert, but when I came home, I felt hungry, and had more fruit, another half avo, and maybe 1/8 cup sesame seeds and 1/8 cup sunflower seeds. smiling smiley

Yesterday, I did an hour of yoga and 40 minutes heavyhands.

When I was doing the yoga, my toes started cramping. That ALWAYS happens to me when I haven't eaten sesame seeds in a while. When I start eating the seeds again, the cramping goes away. Many years ago, a vegan dietician told me that the cramping is caused by a calcium deficiency. Sesame seeds are very high in calcium.

Lots of oranges would probably suffice for calcium; but also, without the sesame seeds (or sunflower seeds, or some other concentrated iron/zinc source), I get vertigo (I'm just a mess, but that's why I'm raw).

This morning I did my yoga, and no toe cramps.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Date: March 09, 2009 09:02PM

This morning (Monday), I weighed 86.

Supposed to fast today. It will be a challenge because of the events of the day.

Yesterday, I ate oranges, bananas, cucumbers, a very small avocado, a handful of peanuts, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, a large salad of red lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, tomato, garlic, raw wheat germ, powdered kelp, olive oil and lemon juice.

Did 1 hour yoga, 40 minutes heavyhands, jumped some rope.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2009 09:03PM by suncloud.

Date: March 10, 2009 07:38PM

This morning (Tuesday), I weighed 85.2.

Yesterday, I did an hour of yoga and water fasted successfully until this morning.

Kind of a challenge because we had company, and I shopped and cooked.

When cooked food smells good, I try to remember to compare it to the smell of burning leaves in the Fall. Burning leaves smell great, but I wouldn't want to EAT them! Same with cooked food.

Rain, rain, rain, here. Nothing but rain for days and days. It will be so nice to see the sun again!

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: March 10, 2009 07:53PM

I like the burning leaves analogy!!!

Date: March 11, 2009 11:35PM

Thanks Sundancer!

The sun came out today! Hooray! What a great invention - the SUN!!!

This morning (Wednesday) I weighed 85.8.

Yesterday I had oranges, bananas, cucumbers, a tomato, a small avocado, a handful of jungle peanuts, and 1/4 cup sesame seeds (soaked) combined with 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (soaked) and maybe a Tablespoon of flax seed.

Did 40 minutes of heavyhands routine.

I am feeling really good today! Hopefully will get to run a little this evening. smiling smiley

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Date: March 12, 2009 07:10PM

Yesterday (Wednesday) I had lots of food (raw). I had a great big appetite after running. I think this will pass once I'm on a regular running routine, but there's been SO much rain!

Today (Thursday) I weigh 86.6.

I had oranges, bananas, cucumbers, a large avocado, 3 handfuls jungle peanuts, a salad with red and green leaf lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, tomato, cilantro, garlic, powdered kelp, raw wheat germ, olive oil, lemon juice, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds.

I did 1 hour yoga, 40 minutes heavyhands routine, ran 2 miles.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Date: March 13, 2009 08:09AM

I think I'll take a break from my diary for a while. I intend to continue doing what I'm doing for at least the next couple of weeks, so I'll just say,

"ETC" until then. smiling smiley

Hopefully, I'll start a few days water fast the first week of April. If I goof up on my present routine (2 days/week water fast, and all raw), I'll be back before then.

Meanwhile, thanks SO MUCH to everyone for your support. You really helped me get back on track, and I'm feeling so much better!

HAPPY DAYS EVERYONE!

Date: June 04, 2009 10:03PM

Hello again!

I think I'm back to my diary for a little while.

I stuck with my routine of water-fasting twice a week until about 3 weeks ago.

The twice-a-week fasting was working really well for me, but it was starting to feel like too much fasting. Plus, I sometimes feel guilty sitting around fasting, when there's so much work to do!

My big problem is greens. I just can't seem to handle eating greens unless I fast at least twice a week. And even then, I can't eat greens every day. I tried cutting out the wheat germ and olive oil and lowering my nuts/seeds consumption, but it doesn't make any difference. And lots of exercise doesn't make a difference. Without the fasting, I still get swollen eyes, dry skin, itchiness, and fatigue afer eating greens. With the fasting, I can handle the greens.

But I have a schedule coming up that will make it very difficult for me to fast twice a week.

So, I'm starting a new plan: No greens. Radical, yes, and definitely not for everybody. I wouldn't do it myself if I felt good after eating greens. If this doesn't work well for me, I'll go back to trying to fast twice a week and eating the greens.

I'm inspired by a group called "The Fruitarian Foundation" that advocates a raw fruit and nut/seed diet, and I'm trying to find out more about a lady named Essie Honiball, who started following a fruit and nut diet in 1958 and cured her tuberculosis. I think she's still alive. She worked with handicapped children. Her husband was the famous cartoonist, T.O. Honiball.

So, starting today, this diary will record an experiment in fruit and nut/seed fruitarianism. The one exception will ocassionally be seaweed for the iodine.

smiling smiley

Happy Day Everyone!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2009 10:07PM by suncloud.

Date: June 06, 2009 12:43AM

Yesterday was good. Lots of lychees and bananas, and a couple of tangelos.

Also, 1/4 cup each of sesame and sunflower seeds, and 2 small handfuls of raw jungle peanuts.

I'm attempting to water fast today, and will probably try to continue fasting once a week.

I'm not exercising because I think I have some bruised ribs or something. My husband and I were taking down bananas, and the banana trunk suddenly broke away and rolled hard into my chest. OW! Then the next day my sweet little doggy thought he was Dino from the Flintstones and knocked me over.

I tried exercising anyway, but that made the pain worse. So right now, I'm down for the count. I'm sure it won't last long though! smiling smiley

Happy Day Everyone!

Date: June 06, 2009 11:41PM

Well, my fast didn't happen yesterday. Maybe fasting isn't the thing for me right now. I don't feel like fasting today at all.

Yesterday I ate about the same as the day before, except that I also had some canteloupe.

My chest felt a little better this morning, so I did yoga, but avoided the exercises that hurt the most. I'm going to try to do cardio with weights and/or run later and then see how I am tomorrow.

Happy Day Everyone! smiling smiley

Date: June 08, 2009 05:55AM

Boy, the weights were not a good idea at all. And I couldn't run afterwards. My chest hurt all night really bad, and I sweated a lot. I feel a little better now.

Yesterday I ate about the same. Today, I went to a friend's house and traded some lychee for some cucumbers she grew that don't get bit by fruit fly (a big problem here for melons, cucumbers, and some tomatoes). My friend gave me some mature cucumbers too for the seed. Great! I love cucumbers!

I went shopping and brought home tomatoes, Kathy's cucumbers, cantaloupe, and some dried mango. There's watermelon in the house too that Scott bought. I'm trying to avoid dried fruits, but don't currently have fresh Vitamin A fruits. Hopefully we will soon, with lots of papayas on the way! smiling smiley

Happy Day Everyone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 05:56AM by suncloud.

Date: June 09, 2009 01:44AM

My chest feels better today after not exercising yesterday. I did my yoga though yesterday and this morning. Even that was painful, but bearable. I had to leave out several poses.

Those cucumbers I got from Kathy were absolutely incredible!. Quite big and fat, but not at all bitter-like. Very tasty, crunchy, juicy, and wonderful. Ate one yesterday and one today with avocado, paprika, ground raspberry seed, and lemon juice. My fanciest dish these days. So good!

Also had watermelon and lychee, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds today.

Gosh, I want to exercise. I might try a run this evening.

Happy Day Everyone!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 09, 2009 02:00AM

Suncloud,
Hope your chest is feeling better soon!

Those crunchy cucumbers are the best, aren't they?!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 09, 2009 06:30PM

Hi Kwan, thanks!

My chest is feeling better. The pain is going down. I ran yesterday, and that didn't seem to bother me. I guess I need to avoid the weights though for a while! (darn)

Yes, on the cucumbers! My friend calls these "Tahitian cucumbers". She has another variety too that aren't quite ready right now. She says they're even better! Have you tried something like these?

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 10, 2009 03:47AM

>My friend calls these "Tahitian cucumbers". She has another variety too that aren't quite ready right now. She says they're even better! Have you tried something like these?<

I'm not sure. The ones I like are short, squat, cute little 'pickling cucumbers' that aren't waxed (though I still peel off the skin), and hold up a lot better than the soggy American cukes. I also like those really long English cucumbers that come wrapped in plastic.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 10, 2009 06:06PM

Hi Kwan!

Oh yeah, I know which ones you're talking about. Those are REALLY GOOD! They're very firm and crispy, but with that lovely mild cucumber taste!

The "Tahitian" cucumbers are like that too. But they're kind of long and very fat. Really a surprising cucumber. They turn hard and brown when they get older instead of yellow like most cucumbers.

I'm still doing my fruits and nuts thing. I haven't been fasting or exercising much , so I gained around 5 pounds at first. Now it appears I might be losing a little, maybe because I've been running the last couple of days.

I miss my weights routine, but I guess I just have to be patient until my chest is better. Seems to be improving everyday a little now.

Happy Day Kwan and Everyone!

Date: June 12, 2009 04:54AM

Still fruits and nuts/seeds.

Will try to do my weights this evening.

I'm enrolled in a dietetics program. It will take me several years to complete, but I'm hoping to be a registered dietitian at some point. How's that for "out there"?! A fruitnut dietitian! grinning smiley

Dietitians seem mostly to be very conventional, but that's changing. And if I'm a dietitian, things may change a little more. smiling smiley

Happy Day Everyone!

Date: June 17, 2009 07:15AM

Still fruits and nuts/seeds.

Just fruits yesterday, water fasted all day today and about to go to bed.

I'm doing well. The bruised ribs are almost like new again. But darn, that same tooth that was bothering me before is bothering me again. I called my dentist, but he's on summer vacation. That's why I'm eating just fruit and fasting - and rinsing with lots of salt and tea tree oil. The tooth has a recent route canal, but my dentist x-rayed it a couple of weeks ago and said the route canal appears to be OK. I think I possibly have a recurring sinus infection, and the pain is registered in the tooth. Hopefully fasting and just fruit for a few days will clear out the problem. It already feels a little better. smiling smiley

Happy Day Everyone!

Posted by: lawofattraction ()
Date: June 17, 2009 04:17PM

clove is good for teeth pain

Date: June 18, 2009 12:44AM

Thanks law! smiling smiley

My tooth feels 100% better this morning. The fasting worked really well. Eating just fruit today so far. I'd like to do this for about a month to really knock out whatever's in there that seems to keep recurring.

Date: June 18, 2009 10:17PM

Usually when I eat just fruit, I start feeling kind of weird. But it's been just fruit (and a few arugula flowers yesterday) since June 15, and I feel fine.

I was feeling hungry yesterday while I was working on my garden beds, and the arugula flowers smelled so good, I just had to eat a few. They satisfied my hunger and tasted great - a little hot, but really just right, and so tangy and sweet!

My tooth is continuing to improve. No pain at all today. I really think it's some kind of sinus thing - not a tooth thing actually. Fasting and eating just fruit (and flowers) seems to be helping.

Did my weights routine yesterday, 50 minutes.

Happy Day Everyone!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 19, 2009 09:28PM

hehe the other day i was sampling dandelion flowers from the lawn for the first time smiling smiley i was amazed how tasty they were .. lol i never would have thought it ! lol smiling smiley

very cool smiling smiley

glad your toothie is feeling better, i hope you find the root of the problem (no pun intended lol) smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2009 09:28PM by Jgunn.

Date: June 19, 2009 10:07PM

Ha ha Jgunn! Thanks for stopping by. smiling smiley

Yes, flowers are good. I wish I had more flowers around to eat! I'm sure there are more here than I'm aware of.

Yesterday I ate just fruit all day, did an hour of yoga, and 50 minutes of weights routine.

My weight went up to 91.4 when I quit fasting twice a week (and also couldn't exercise for a while). I've lost a pound since I started eating only fruit (and flowers) and exercising again.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 20, 2009 11:47AM

Wow-- I've never tried dandelion flowers. I have a ton in my yard! I have a hard time sometimes finding leaves that are not bitter. We grow nasturtiums and borage to eat -- yum yum!!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables