Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

eating raw with IBS
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 26, 2006 09:37PM

Aloha,
I suffer from IBS and thought eating raw might fix things. I'm a 34 yr old, 6'6", 175 lbs male, so I don't need to lose weight. In my case fiber has always caused tremendous gas problems, but I figured I'd give it a week. So I went raw for a week, eating 50% fruit/50% veggies. Unfortunately I felt no improvement in my bowels, and my energy level was generally quite low throughout. So I ate meat today (the only thing that consistently settles my stomach) and I feel OK. I love the idea of eating raw, but I'm uncertain of how to get enough calories that way because what sets me off is:
Nuts
Grains
High Fiber Veggies and Fruits
Bananas (who knows why)

So the only way I can eat enough fat/protein is by eating 5-6 avocados a day and they're way too expensive and not consistently ripe.

Here are my questions:
1. Does anyone else out there with IBS eat raw?
2. How long did it take to be able to digest this kind of food without running to the bathroom all day long?
3. How do I regulate my blood sugar over the course of the day without eating fruit (which kills my stomach) or nuts (same)?
4. Does eveyone with IBS who goes through detox feel exhausted, hungry and light-headed for 7 days straight with 5-6 daily trips to the restroom and tons of gas in between?
5. Are there any natural ways to cut down gas? Ginger seems helpful, but I can't make juice while I'm at work.

Thanks for any feedback!
-Hoping to be healthy in NJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eating raw with IBS
Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: July 27, 2006 01:34AM

Are you combining foods right? I used to have a problem with fruits and veggies on the American Standard diet. Bananas gave me problems. But then I found out while being on raw that I need to eat fruit first before anything else. Citrus fruit first, then watery foods, then the heavier foods like bananas. Then you can have your salad and fats. I haven't had any problems after finding these things out. Do what you feel is right and try things out and see what works.

Date: July 27, 2006 02:44AM

Thanks for the tip! Is there any kind of matrix you refer to for this kind of thing? I tried eating a lot of bananas and nothing else for breakfast (like Alissa says in her book, "I ate 6 bananas this morning"winking smiley but they didn't go down so well and I was struck with gas a few hours later (and it lasted for the rest of the day, as always for me).
Or could you show me a sample diet - do you have a day's food journal you could post for me of some very simple foods and their order of appearance/schedule. And then I'll double the quantities, because I need more calories than someone more normal sized smiling smiley

Thanks again!

Date: July 27, 2006 10:29PM

Try eating bananas later in the day. That might help.

Here is a sample of what my menu looks like. Take into consideration that I am a Female, 26, 5'2" 105 lbs. At first eating like this, I would feel dizzy and lightheaded because of detox. I don't get that way anymore, though. There are aches and pains with detox. Expect it. It won't last forever.

In this order before 10:00 a.m. to get my blood sugar running smoothly:

Morning: two oranges, one apple, two bananas, 1/2 cup blueberries, then maybe I'll eat a leafy green, like collard, to get some balance and a celery stick for sodium. (To balance out all of the potassium)

Noon: Maybe an apple or some melon. (Chewing food slowly helps the salivation to digest food well.) Then a little while later I'll maybe eat 2 bananas. Then I'll have 2 celery sticks.

Afternoon 4-6 p.m.- A fruit snack. Usually I like 1/2 a cantelope as an apetizer before the evening meal.

Evening around 6:00- Veggie juice on occasion. I like to eat a soup or salad. My favorite soup is a spinach soup that I make. I like to put in a blender 1 avocado (for fat and a creamy consistancy) 1/2 red bell pepper, a bunch of spinach, cilantro or basil, 1/2 jalepeno pepper (or less) to give it a little kick. Then I put in about 1/2 cup ofwater. Then I blend and eat. It's fun to experiment with soups and salads because there is so much variety. (Chew the soup, though, get the salivation running!) You can eat a large salad after the soup, too, it you want. You can have a cooked food such as steamed veggies if you want, too. But that comes last to avoid gas.

It's best not to eat about 3 hours before bed because it can cause gas and bad digestion, I found out the hard way. If I find I get hungry later, I eat a leafy green. That usually helps.

Be good to yourself, and take it slow. Don't feel bad if you eat things that are cooked, either. Make a smooth transition and eat things you like to eat and make you feel good. You can experiment and see what works for you. It's all trial and error. I know I've learned so much, and someone on here told me it is a journey, and she is sooo right. It is a road to healing because foods can heal. I wish you the best health and I hope this helps.
Here is something that kind of helped as a guideline (may not be precise) but you can go to www.fitday.com to see your caloric intake and how much fats you are getting. You can usually get enough proteins from fruits and veggies. We don't need that much.

Date: July 28, 2006 02:54AM

Thank you Shep252!

I'll definitely try out your schedule and see how it works for me - things went a little better today as I tried to space out the meals and eat less.
Will keep you posted on how it goes tomorrow...

cheers!

Date: July 28, 2006 02:44PM

No problem. It is simple, but fulfilling after getting into a the swing of balancing. Make sure you eat at least four celery sticks to get sodium or some spinach if you are going all 100%raw, but I wouldn't recommend going 100% raw right away unless you are fully committed and you are fed up with the old diet. Some people do and some people don't. It is a part of transitioning. I recommend reading about the thread on here in the main section on transitioning. People are sooo helpful! I'll post a link.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

I also suggest you read other threads on here for help and support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2006 02:48PM by shep252.

Date: July 29, 2006 11:32PM

Oh, also from the above thread I just posted, you might want to try ripe bananas that are spotted. That helps them digest well. I just thought about that today. It helped me. I like them really ripe.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 14, 2006 08:47PM

I wouldn't think sweet fruits are advisable right away if you have an inflammatory condition ---?

I wish I could remember where but I've definitely read success stories of people curing their IBS with a raw diet. I think it was green juices. Green juices are excellent because the nutrients will absorb w/out the fiber there to irritate your intestines. And (I think) wheatgrass juice is absorbed even before it gets to the intestines.

Normally nutrients from food would be absorbed via the intestines, but if you have inflammation there, then the normal mechanism of absorption is disrupted, so the disease of course gets progressively worse. Corticosteroids merely treat the symptoms; IBS is considered incurable.

So first you have to get the nutrients into your system so your body can start the healing process.

Good luck and def keep us posted!

(you prob have a list of acceptable food provided by your doctor, right? like plain white bread or something? --- if you stick to that list, but start adding in the green juices, you hopefully will be able to gradually add in more regular fruits & vegetables as your body heals itself)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2006 08:54PM by sunshine79.

Posted by: monochromatism ()
Date: September 18, 2006 03:36PM

I agree with sunshine. Be wary of loading up on fruits, as in general it is not good for anyone, let alone someone with IBS. Many fruitarians develop diabetes, and they don't realize exactly how much sugar is present in fuits. ANyway, I myself also have an inflammatory condition (interstitial cystitis). Mine is of the bladder, but the syndromes show comorbidity. As I've mentioned elsewhere on the board, Turmeric has shown promise as a potent anti-inflammatory, and has been in the news lately...touted as a replacement for NSAIDs. I can see how it is hard for you to consume calorie-dense foods. Cold-pressed olive oil is one way to up the calories. Be patient with avocados, and good luck.

Date: September 23, 2006 06:25PM

Nice try, I think I scared that guy off anyway. That's why I don't suggest anything anymore, because what works for one person, may not work for someone else. Plus, I thought I was helping because I used to have IBS, not anymore with a high-fruit, lowfat diet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables