Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Back to Raw...
Posted by: summer ()
Date: August 01, 2006 10:20PM

Been quite some time since I posted, and several computers ago...this is rawbite, yogijade, and well, just Jade...
I was 100% raw for over 3 years, almost 4, then feeling quite secure and confident, I started eating certain cooked items, usually at a family function, just to fit in a little better...arrrgh, it has been a struggle for the last 8 months with cooked food since, especially through the winter up here in British Columbia...
this is what I experienced since eating cooked food: lower energy, eating more, a general lack of self control eating things that do not agree with me, and more body smells...
I know without a doubt that raw food is the best way to eat, for me...
especially bio regional as possible...
I am on my first 100% raw day, and highly motivated to take one day at a time, raw as we go...
one of the things that opened me up to the eating of cooked food, the major reason even over social ones, is sustainability.
When I look at the way things are in the world, wanting to do my best not to be part of the lifestyle of polluting violent disregarding the rest of the world types, I started thinking more seriously about sustainability.
In other words, if the grid goes down, and the trucks stop coming up here from California and Mexico, would I still be eating year round and what would that look like...
Well, I have a very healthy organic garden, been eating out of it almost completely since May, the big exception being sunflower seeds, which I feel okay about since they grow in the north and I do have a small experimental crop of those in...there are lots of foods here in the warm season...but winter,,,is it really sustainable to eat only raw in the snow climate? what is the point of eating raw all winter if the food comes from the south and is therefore 'unsustainable"...
the issue I have is thus: I don't want to be all raw just because it is the best for me, I also want it to be the best for the planet...
can you really do this in the north...?
I did eat raw through 2 cold winters with no problems, but only because of the southern food...
what is really sustainable for this climate?
a new level of consciousness, and the challenges that go with it...
perhaps it is a simple as going south for the winter,,, perhaps there is another way...more food experiments...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Back to Raw...
Posted by: starfruit ()
Date: August 02, 2006 01:30AM

I don't know if i can help you with the difficult dilema of helping the enviorment as well as yourself because i can certainly see your point of being discouraged by not eating local food. I sometimes sacrafice organic food for local food. Anyways what i can sympathize with is getting off a raw foods diet because it is hard socialy. That has been my biggest obstacle with sticking with raw foods is that little voice in me that says be normal and just at there food. What makes you so special anyways? ANd then i realize afterwards that what makes me special is that i love my body enough to respect it and give it the food it needs. But it is so hard in those situations. Sorry to not help more. Best of luck.
-Starfruit

Date: August 06, 2006 09:44PM

Hey Starfruit,

thanks it was nice just to read your words.
Socially was the biggest challenge, that's for sure. It took a while of eating cooked foods again though, to really have it sink in how great I felt on raw and how less than great when I ate cooked. And, it seemed like it took awhile, but slowly people were coming to accept my ways without a lot of attention, or less, as they got used to it, and so I take heart that will continiue again as I return to eating only raw.
6 days all raw, except for the salad dressing on a salad I ate at a restuarant.
Still dealing with the sustainability issue, and lining up sacks of organic veggies from the farm up the road to have for winter. Root veggies and sunseeds, going to make the commitement to eat 90% northern food for this winter, raw, like root crops and sunflower seeds and hazelnuts, 'kraut, etc....
Next year my own garden will be bigger and more efficent,,,boy, did we grow a lot of Kale and Collards we couldn't eat...more peas, beans, onions, carrots, beets, next year...
I would love to hear form anyone eating highly local food and living in the north, and what their experiences have been...
Jade

Posted by: rawcountry ()
Date: August 07, 2006 04:09PM

Yep, it's hard not to go to family functions and not eat with everyone! I'm thinking of taking some nice dishes with me to Thankgiving this year and sharing. Not sure what the family is going to say! We are with you! It only takes a few days to get back on track. Hugs for you. rawcountry

Date: August 09, 2006 03:06AM

Thanks, Hugs recieved....

Bring super delicious dishes with you, that is one of my strategies for going to family/friends dinners and eating raw...ever had raw dolmades?

8 days raw, and someone just commented on how they liked the smell of my, er...perspiration...

eating more simply, just picking, washing, and munching food from the garden...so thankful to have a garden...I know it is a lot harder when you do not have the time or space to garden...the food is so much tastier, not to mention free, except for the seeds...

my body feels different, lighter, softer, happier...

Jade

Posted by: starfruit ()
Date: August 09, 2006 12:31PM

That's great Jade. It sounds like your doing so well. Glad my words helped. Next time I go visit family or friends i will bring something raw to share. good idea. Stick to it.
Starfruit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables