Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My Thoughts
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 09, 2010 12:20AM

So, I am 55, overweight, depressed, I drink almost nightly, and I have decided that going Raw/vegan is what I need to do right now. I quit smoking 3 months ago, and took up Vaping when I thought I was gonna start cigs again about 2 weeks ago. My life is full of losses, it seems, and as I get older, I deal with each one by smoking and drinking...This time, the depression is making me feel old and tired....something I have not felt in several years. So, instead of giving into it, I have decided to be pro-active. I heard going Raw makes you younger with beautiful skin and hair, and toned muscles. That's what got me started researching it...then I heard about the emotional and spiritual benefits and that's what clinched it for me. I started 3 days ago, and already I know I will be stopping the alcohol soon...just not enjoying it like I did...coffee is another addiction...I think I will give it up too...it seems too strong a stimulant when eating this way...one thing at a time. I am sure I have already started to detox...very tired, low energy, but not very hungry at all. One thing I noticed, my gums seem sore, and my deodorant has stopped working?! Or has my sense of smell gotten more acute, and I am smelling the toxins my body is purging?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Thoughts
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 09, 2010 02:40AM

zhenya,
Hi! I am 55 too. When I started eating raw food (11 months ago now), I was depressed, very low energy, overweight and addicted to coffee, but that has all changed and it can change for you too. Why not try stopping the alcohol now and see how it goes? It sounds like you are ready for a real life change. I'm rooting for you.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: May 09, 2010 11:56PM

Congratualtions for being willing to make a change. The human mind and body are so powerful together, they can really accomplish anything. You absolutley have it in you to do this, and in a week or two when you start to feel better, you'll never believe you went through life feeling this way. You really won't know how bad this was until you feel your best.

I can't comment on your symptoms, but "detox" changes are most likely to be expected and can range from weakness to rashes, so who knows. DON'T neglect to get something checked out if it seems really unusual though, detox definitely isn't everything.

Good luck on your journey

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 10, 2010 05:19AM

Today, I met up with a Raw Food group at an Ethiopian Restaurant. Food was delish, I ate raw crackers for the first time. Met some really nice people...
I still feel really tired today, spacey. No lifting of my moods, although it was really nice to hear the words of encouragement from Trive and Cyclopsicle. I have been getting leg cramps at night..nothing new for me. I really struggled with my spin class this morning. Just kindof rambling...waiting for the big breakthrough!!

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: May 10, 2010 03:55PM

It will definitely come. Everytime I go back to binging and eating crappy (cooked) food, I feel sluggish for a few days when I eat raw again, then gradually I get my energy back. I notice the change in my sleep the most. When I wake up tired I know I'm doing something wrong, and when I wake up before my alarm, I'm most likely eating raw. I feel very rested. It's worth it though, keep going, you're doing great! Good for you for seeking out a group! I never had raw crackers and they sound so good!

Posted by: Mona ()
Date: May 10, 2010 04:08PM

You described me about 6 years ago when I went raw. It took a couple of months of detoxing to stop drinking which was really easier than I expected. I think it's the detoxing that helped. My depression disappeared, too, but I did go get some help with that--not drugs, but learning how to change my perspective in life.

Eating raw, even beginning in my 50's, has brought many wonderful changes in my body; I lost 30 lbs, cysts in my breasts disappeared, my IBS disappeared and many other perks. I just do it one day at a time. When I remember to work the diet that way, I'm much better.

Please keep up posted.

Mona
padremickey.blogspot.com

Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over, and over again, expecting different results.

The hardest thing in life is letting go of what you thought was real.

Posted by: alicenubby ()
Date: May 11, 2010 05:04PM

good job Zhenya! I am just starting my journey too.I support supportsmiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables