Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

3 reasons to let go of a 100% raw food diet
Date: May 25, 2010 06:14PM

3 reasons to let go of a 100% raw food diet

Life is a constant, floating circle of change.
That includes all areas of life. That means that there isn't only one single truth that applies to all humans, to the whole universe, but that there are many truths. And they are all true.
The same principles apply to our diet. Raw food is just one truth, one way.
It is a truth, but there are many others.
Even though we are the Rawfoodfamily, and we believe that, when done correctly, the raw food diet is probably the optimal diet for us humans, we need to be real about it.
If we talk about eating it "correctly,” we are talking about fully ripened “old” tropical fruits like jackfruit, durians, coconuts, cherimoyas, mangos and so on.
Here comes the first reality check and shock.
Most of the people, families and children out there do not have access to these kinds of fruits. The second aspect of doing the raw food diet “correctly” has to do with greens.
We all need at least between 750 gr and 1.0 kilo of dark green leafy vegetables EACH DAY!
Especially our children are in desperate need of these foods. They provides us with vitamins, minerals and loads of high quality proteins and EFAs.
Do you and your children eat that many greens every day?

And if you do not have both of the things we are talking about here (fully ripe, old tropical fruits, and about 1 kilo of greens) we do NOT recommend going 100% raw, or even trying to become raw!!

We really need to be realistic. There is so much misleading information out there, and with this article we are taking a very clear position.
You can still be on a very high raw diet, if you add lots of high potency superfoods to your diet and add supplements during the wintertime. But we need to pull the plug on the sacred status of the 100% raw food diet.
So many people have this high goal. For most of us it is too high, unrealistic, and ... yeah I have to say it: unhealthy!
Only 3-5 % of the human population has access to the kinds of foods you need to really deeply thrive on this pure diet.
The rest of us need to think of alternatives, or import all the good fruits from tropical areas, which costs a lot of money.
If you are willing to invest that kind of money and live with the consequences of the environmental problems caused by transporting and packing your food, it is still possible and good.
But for the majority of us, we need to be practical about what we are capable of doing.
This was a huge realisation we had in the last few months, when we experienced for ourselves what a big difference there is between the food you have access to in North Europe, the USA and Canada, and the paradisal tropical belt around the earth.
We see and feel the difference very strongly when we watch our children.
The food accessible in Europe and the USA is not suitable for going 100% raw.
So we honestly want you to feel comfortable adding some cooked food to your diet, if you do not belong to the small group of fortunate ones with a lot of money or living in a tropical country.
If you are eating or transforming to a high raw diet, cut out refined sugar, white flour, red meat and highly processed food and junk food. If you do, you and your kids will feel and become sooo healthy!

This is a goal you can reach, and it will change and transform your kids, your family and you!

Just go with the flow, take it easy and enjoy the food you eat to the max. Benny, our oldest, is back to eating some cooked food, maybe once a week or every two weeks, after being 100% raw in United Kingdom.
Even though we have access to all the tropical wonders of nature here, he still asks for it from time to time, and we totally support him in following and exploring his desires.
He hasn't changed. He is still healthy and vibrant.
He still eats mostly raw and is part of The Rawfoodfamily.
It isn't a lot of cooked food and it's very simple, like a little rice with some steamed veggies.
I want to share this with you, to show you that we aren't living a dogma, and we don't even think we should. It will change. It always does.
Life is a constant, floating circle of change.
It's all good.

WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR EZINE OR WEB SITE?

Feel free to use it, as long as you include this complete blurb with it:

Raising their raw food family, Katie and Ka Sundance want to share all their simple secrets and insights to help your family become more healthy. To learn how to live a well balanced and enjoyable raw food family life, register for the free articles at [www.therawfoodfamily.com]

WANT TO SEE MORE ARTICLES LIKE THIS ONE? HYPERLINK [www.therawfoodfamily.com]

[www.therawfoodfamily.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 reasons to let go of a 100% raw food diet
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 25, 2010 09:04PM

If someone wants to change from eating a 100% raw food diet to one that includes some cooked rice and steamed veges, that's fine. It really is okay with me - not that my opinion should matter to you - whatever you want to do, but why not write:
"3 reasons (I choose) to let go of a 100% raw food diet"? Your opinion to not be 100% raw is your opinion and your "truth."

I don't think eating "correctly,” means just eating "fully ripened “old” tropical fruits." Why should someone limit themselves to just that short list? There is a wonderful variety to fruit and I take full advantage of them. I think: The more variety, the better.

Why does a person "need at least between 750 gr and 1.0 kilo of dark green leafy vegetables EACH DAY!"?
Sure, they provide vitamins, minerals and proteins, but I have checked my intake (WHICH INCLUDES A VARIETY OF FRUITS AND VEGES AND GREENS) using fitday.com when I have been eating 100% raw with less than a kilo of greens and it has been fine. I get enough carbs, proteins, fats, and calories and my vitamins and minerals average out fine too.

The statement, "And if you do not have both of the things we are talking about here (fully ripe, old tropical fruits, and about 1 kilo of greens) we do NOT recommend going 100% raw, or even trying to become raw!!" is strongly worded, but not supported.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand you "very clear position."

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 26, 2010 12:01AM

Therawfoodfamily,

After posting I realized that you had posted on the diary forum, so my commenting was inappropriate. I'm sorry. I don't know how to delete what I wrote.

Regardless, I hope you find what works for you and are comfortable with it.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: June 03, 2010 11:11AM

I was going to keep my mouth shut about this post, and hope it just disappeared, but I can't. This is absurd. I think you may have a good point, but your approach is off a bit. Firstly where are the 3 reasons??? Secondly, I am simply blown away by the idea that if I don't eat 1 pound of greens a day, that i should go ahead and eat some cooked foods!!?? And the other point about the tropical fruits is also illogical, as with my genetic heritage, I haven't evolved with tropical fruit for at least 1-5 thousand years. I am white, we ate berries, apples, all that. instead of telling people to eat cooked food, maybe you could promote the right raw foods for people stuck in these places with no access to jackfruit, or greens. For instance I would recommend people doing sprouts and wheatgrass to make up for the lack of greens(which i find hard to believe that the majority of people have no access to greens, unless you live in a desert, greens are everywhere!)
and as far as fruit goes the only thing humans should worry about is eating whats closest to them. if you got apples near by, thats your mainstay. I live in citrus, apple,cherry, pear,date,almond country so I eat just that!
I too agree that one doesn't have to psychotically fixate on being 100% as if this is perfection. Though talking this way like on your post is dangerous IMO, because I notice MOST people out there have not gone 100% for long enough to understand how seriously fast detoxing can occur,and to see the truth. So I feel it is important to remind people that until they have tried 100% for at least 1 month(IMO), they should not try to eat cooked food. In my experience, it seems most people are addicted to many many foods they think are needed. many of these misconceptions, and false beliefs are only curable by going 100% long enough to reset our false perceptions of food. As a healing food addict, it was also very very crucial for me to be 100%. And since I feel so many of us are food addicts in our own way, it way in fact be vital for everyone to experience a long stint of 100%, before talking about how much cooked food they "need". Much love, no ill feeling intended, just speaking my inner truth.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 03, 2010 03:41PM

you all bring up good and valid points smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Mona ()
Date: June 04, 2010 01:28PM

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2010 01:30PM by Mona.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables