Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Changes!!! Moving on, but want to say a proper, loving good-bye to all of you
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 14, 2010 02:30AM

Dear friends,
It's been so sweet and rewarding being a part of such a vibrant movement since the 1980s (and being on the rawfoods forums since the early '90s) and I've met so many wonderful people in the raw food community, but I've recently made some radical changes in my life and I'm off in a totally new direction... and I want to say good-bye, with love and appreciation, but also with honest reflection on my raw food experience:
I was a raw foodist for over 25 years, and in many ways it was the best thing that ever happened to me. However, over the years, no matter how I tweaked the diet, no matter how faithfully I adhered to the diet, I was flabby and overweight and had little muscle tone. Something was missing, but I tried to overlook it. Over the past 3 years I gained A LOT of weight, and no amount of cleansing or fasting, or changing my diet helped. My hip joints were starting to be affected, even though I should have been 'clean as a whistle,' as my mom used to say, thanks to all the detoxifying I was doing.
I sought the help of a spiritual healer. One day during this beautifully healing time, I just woke up knowing what was wrong: I'm protein deficient, I can't handle all that fruit; this diet is not working for me, and I always had certain problems with it, but I just wasn't willing to admit it.
I began that day anew, eating a low carb, Paleo-style diet, low in fruit sugars and starches, high in protein and greens. After trying to lose weight on a raw food diet for years and years, and gaining weight enormously during the past 3 years, I lost almost 25 pounds in one month and completely changed my physique on this diet. My lower body shrank significantly, while my bra size didn't change. :-) I see more muscle-- a LOT more muscle. I like the way my legs look now! In fact, I really LOVE my body now. About 2 weeks into this change, as my body was already much more streamlined, I was walking in town, and I got asked out on a date by a really attractive 25-year-old guy. I was beginning to realize just how radically my body was changing and healing.
I used to always feel hunger at some level all day long. Now I'm NEVER hungry. I'm totally amazed. I eat little meals, sometimes really tiny meals. Sometimes I even forget to eat. (But I never fast!) I hardly ever even clean my plate. I now have the same waistline I had when I was 30 (and I'm 61); actually, I think it's a little smaller! I have a really flat stomach for the first time in about 30 years, and I am elated every time I put my size 8 jeans on and they are a little loose in the waist-- something I could only dream of 2 months ago when I was graduating to 'flowing tops' and 'loose black jersey athletic pants.'
My hip joints have completely healed, and I feel like a teeanger again and am no longer stiff and sore all the time. I can run the way I remember running 20 years ago, before I started to 'slow down.' I am on top of the world. After initially eating quite a bit of protein and fat for about 3-4 weeks to get my protein and omega-3 stores back up, I now can eat them more sparingly, and my body wants them only a couple times a week. I gravitate toward simple low glycemic foods, and some basic superfoods like green barley drinks and a couple oz. of cacao every other day. I doubt that I eat more than 25-30 grams of carbs a day. I feel best this way; I am bursting with energy and don't need to nap mid-afternoon like I often did when I was raw vegan.
This will be my last post. I wish you all the very, very, very best-- wherever that may take you in life, or in your dietary choices! Truly we are each unique; follow your bliss! I know for many of you, raw vegan works beautifully-- I honor that and I am not trying to pick a fight or win you over to my way of doing things, and I don't want to debate anybody or get any advice. I just want to share my story and ask that you be happy for me.
The rawfoods.com forums and I have had a long and wonderful friendship. I have met some of my dearest friends here (some of you are now my friends on Facebook), and I will always hold a special place in my heart for all of you.
If you resonate with my story or just want to continue our friendship, please look for me on Facebook.
XOXOXOX

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Changes!!! Moving on, but want to say a proper, loving good-bye to all of you
Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: September 14, 2010 03:32AM

I'm so happy you figured out what works for you! It can be tough to mentally overcome an ideal you had in your head and faithfully practiced for many, many years but you owe it to yourself to feel great and to be healthy. I don't judge you and nor does anyone else here. Good luck and enjoy!

Re: Changes!!! Moving on, but want to say a proper, loving good-bye to all of you
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 17, 2010 02:08AM

Well..good for you! I just can't get back to an all raw diet after going off of it the first time. The first time I lost 71 lbs. while on it, but the sweet fruits did get to me and I cut out many of them during that time.

I eat more fruits now actually, but I like the greens, and green drinks more. I find steamed veggies very tasty.

Take care, we will miss you here..stop by sometimes. See you at facebook!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Mona ()
Date: September 21, 2010 12:27PM

Enjoy your new life.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: November 08, 2010 01:09AM

I missed this post. I know our time on this site didn't overlap very much, but I'm sorry to see you go, Kwan. However, I'm very happy that you're onto something that works even better for you. Good luck and good health!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 26, 2010 03:09AM

Hey friends,
MERRY CHRISTMAS.... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!

All the best!--

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables