Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New life at 50
Posted by: thickskin ()
Date: March 27, 2011 05:56PM

My 1st day here . I don't know what I'm doing but I'm going in anyways. I started raw about a week ago...maybe 2 and going slow. I am obese. Have some joint problems going on and feel generally tired a lot. A friend at work is helping. He's totally raw. What got me into this isn't him but my future ferrets which I plan to buy. They will also be going raw. I go to Holistic ferrets forum and after much reading I said I wonder if its the same for humans? Meaning the kibble they eat is making them sick and they eat twice as much @#$%& twice as much because they aren't absorbing what they eat. So its the same for us. All that refined foods!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New life at 50
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 27, 2011 11:10PM

I think everyone here had a raw starting point. Good on you for giving it a go!

When I started eating raw food, I "gave myself permision" to eat as much raw food as I wanted to make the transition easier for me. You'll find that most people don't go "high raw" right off. They work in more and more raw food into their diet gradually. Lots of people believe that that is the better way to do it and be more successful. I felt that for me it had to be all raw or not do it. I needed to try it to correct some health issues AND I also knew it would be hard for me to control myself as far as the amount of cooked food I included. Anyway, it worked for me. Then after a year I began including some cooked food, but it wasn't a problem for me because I had broken my compulsive, addictive behaviors toward food. smiling smiley Anyway, now I'm about 80% raw and happy with that. (Also, although I eat nuts, avocado, and other fats, I do keep them fairly low and get a higher percentage of calories from fruit.)

When I started raw I wanted to start exercizing by walking. I started R E A L L Y slowly and gradually added more and more length to my walks. For me it was a great way to do it. (I'm also in my 50's.)

Good luck! And welcome to the site. smiling smiley

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: March 28, 2011 11:48PM

good luck on your raw choice. When going raw you will lose weight fast. Your joints will start feeling better. By eating raw you will heal faster and your skin will become more supple and not sag as you lose the weight.
best of luck
Pam

Date: March 29, 2011 08:46AM

Thank you two, Trive I think your so right about the giving myself permission to eat as many raw foods as possible. Also its been a SLOW work in progress. Lots of ups and downs and eating things the old way.

My joints Pampam are my major concern right now because believe it or not I used to ride ride tri boro bike tour here in NYC. Its a shame I cant do it this year.....theres always next year. winking smiley

Posted by: trox ()
Date: March 29, 2011 09:41PM

Good luck! You can do it. And you will be so happy you did.

Good Vibrations,
Trox

Date: March 30, 2011 03:40PM

So it feels like I been a little stuck lately between raw and what every body else eats. I had a bagel this morning but lunch consist of romaine tomatoes celery and cucumbers. Bought a organic salad dressing. sunflower seed seeds and crushed almonds(meant to buy raw walnuts but Boo Boo time) I tried the taco salad recipe by another member here and it was great!! Will have a raw dinner..not sure what it is yet. I'm getting a little shell shock of the prices to buy raw. Went to the health store today and bought sprout seeds, sea salt and the salad dressing I had for above. I guess I can learn to make it my self. Might be a wee bit cheaper. I did a lot walking and rode my bike some. A little sore LOL I'm enjoying my day off....ta ta for now

Date: April 06, 2011 08:18PM

Man this is harder than I thought. I go days eating raw(almost) and I hit a brick wall. I guess eating meat was important but i don't want it to be that way now. Today was OK not the best. I had eggs for breakfast but lunch and snack was all raw. The kicker is that I feel better when I eat raw. LOL Don't I want that GRRR!!

Date: April 07, 2011 12:45AM

It gets better as you go, keep on keeping on. The more you become aware of what is in the foods you eat the easier it gets but I am thinking everything is is the way you think. As soon as you make you decision keep it and run with it. We have been told for all our lives to eat meat because its suppose to be good for us. I think it has been a lie all these years of eating meat and believing its the best for our bodies. It sits in the body and putrifies and plugs the system of energies we could use to heal ourselves. I forced myself to watch all the slaughter house movies and also what they feed those poor animals. I have always been taught that its ok to eat the farm animal but what is happening to those animals is not natural.
I am very obese and need to continue with this diet. I know if I were to go on any other diet that eating raw food I would end up a sack of loose skin. This is my second time around with eating raw the last time I quickly lost a hundred pounds and I looked so much younger and my skin started to glow and feel soft. I know this is the optimal diet for a human body
I wish you the best of fortune in getting started with this diet in just three days time you will feel fantastic.
Best of luck
Pam

Date: April 07, 2011 10:12AM

Thanks pampam. smiling smiley Your so right about how we were told all our lives to eat meat. Also I want to point out how all our lives we were told what to eat. Like we have no say in this.
Today is my Birthday and I woke up and had my smoothie...a large one. So feeling good about that. I took the day off. This is a weird day for me as this is the day my mom had me. She was 52 when she had me and thats my age now,feels very strange.

Date: April 07, 2011 10:44PM

how wonderful you were born today 52 years ago and your mom was 52 when she had you. Happy Birthday. Its a great day for beginnings right? Starting off with a smoothie is wonderful. Do you put greens in your smoothies? I love green smoothies but am getting burned out on strawberrie ones so I got some pineapple and mango yum yum.
Pam

Date: April 07, 2011 10:57PM

Yes I do I usually add spinach or kale and some sprouts. Strawberries aren't too high on my list but mango good smiling smiley.
I stayed home and I did pretty good today except for 1 meal LOL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables