Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Taking Control of My Bad Self!
Posted by: GoneBananas ()
Date: September 27, 2011 12:27AM

Hello Everyone!

I have actually been reading your posts on and off since 2004, but never registered or responded! For several months in 2004, I was high raw, working out, and very slim. I caved amidst family and peer pressure to eat "normal" as well as found it hard to sustain in the winter.

However, since then I have managed to gain 20 pounds. Weighing 153 on a medium frame at 5'7" is just too much. I look as uncomfortable as I feel. 54 y.o. female now, so losing weight is not as easy as it once was, and I am grumpy. smiling smiley

Since June 2011, I have tried to be a cooked vegan. Results have not been there. Attribute this to overeating, finding vegan junk food, and lack of exercise. Even tried Dr. McDougall's plan of eating starchy vegetables and very low fat. No improvement.

It's time to go raw again. Grateful for your support as I am surrounded by very SAD people in my household. So raw begins tomorrow, as does exercise. If I do not overthink this and just go for it, it will be best, right?

Peace to all!

Warm regards,
Vicki in Maryland

PS: Are there any raw vegans from southern Maryland on this board?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taking Control of My Bad Self!
Date: September 28, 2011 02:12AM

So I completed my first day, and it went well! I think the only non-raw food was a piece of Ezekiel bread. Was working at home today, so that made it a little easier. Back to the office tomorrow, so will prepare carefully. Working out tomorrow evening.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: September 28, 2011 12:02PM

Just a note to cheer you on. YOU GO, GoneBananas!!!

My favorite raw vegan

Date: September 28, 2011 02:09PM

Thank you, Trive! A little cheer goes a long way!! Have a fantastic day!! Vicki

Date: September 29, 2011 02:15AM

Day Two went well. Green smoothie for breakfast. Mostly marinated veggies for lunch. Fruit. Had a portabello mushroom, saurkraut and more marinated vegetables for dinner. Ate a Pure chocolate raw vegan bar today. It was delicious!

Light workout.

Have to go to a team luncheon tomorrow. Making a salad to share.

Date: September 29, 2011 06:36PM

It's Day Three, and I had to attend a team potluck. It was a challenge being surrounded by tons of homemade cooked food. However, I stuck to the salad that I brought, ate one Tostida chip with layered guacamole dip. Also had a little bit of fresh fruit. Have to say that it is 2:30, and I am still hungry. Think I will snoop in my lunchbox to make a quick veggie rollup.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 29, 2011 07:51PM

You're doing great gonebananas, but don't label part of yourself as bad. It's only social conditioning, peer pressure and habit that maked it difficult to change to a more healthy lifestyle.

The vegan junk food and any oil that you are adding to your vegies is giving you way too many calories. I understand that you want to make your salads tasty by adding oil (e.g. extra virgin olive oil), but oil is fat. Why not add lemon juice or apple cider vinegar? What I add is light soya sauce, which I have gradually cut down to only one or two squirts. After a while your taste buds will change, and you will begin to love the taste of raw vegies on their own. This takes less time than you would think, only a few weeks.

Why not journal all the changes that are taking place in your body and mind? I did for the first year, and when I look back, I can see how much I have changed, not only physically, but my attitude as well. It seems that going raw vegan can give a person a totally new temperament.

All the best to you, health and happiness.
Geo

Date: September 30, 2011 02:52PM

Geo,

Thanks for the candid perspective! I agree that I will have to be careful with fats/oils/nuts. Have only used a minimum of such this week. I like to use fresh squeezed lime on many veggies along with a little vinegar.

Woke up this morning and lost 1 pound from my start 3 days ago. Yeah! Celebrating all victories!!

Ok, so maybe I will not add to this thread and start a new one regarding the changes per your suggestion.

Have an awesome day!
Vicki

Date: October 03, 2011 11:50PM

I noticed that the recommendation for this category is to only have one thread per person. Therefore, I will stick with this one. Today is my 7th day, mostly raw. Really doing well. I have had one cooked meal in the past week because we were far from home, it was late, and I was starving! I had a spinach quesadilla.

I am pleased to report a 2-lb weight loss. Feeling very good about my decision to eat predominantly living foods, and my husband is being supportive. He even drank a green smoothie this morning! A couple of my coworkers are already asking questions, so maybe I can positively influence them to eat more plants at the very least!

What keeps running through my head are these questions: Can I sustain through the winter months? Will I be able to achieve and maintain my desired weight goal? Can I adjust to losing my false body enough to embrace it, respect it, and adore it? (Don't know where I read that description--false body--but isn't it so true?)

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 04, 2011 04:44PM

The winters can really make it difficult especially if it's severe winter weather.

There are recipes for warming soups that can help. Drinking a very warm cup of herbal tea also is comforting.

Depending on weight loss desired, fats from foods like avocado and coconut also can help during cold months.

I'm staying off the scale..just really trying to get healthier by losing the weight I've put back on.

I think you are doing wonderfully.

Love,
Prism

Date: October 04, 2011 06:05PM

Prism,

Thank you for the advice and the encouragement! I do tend to be one who stays cold year round due to air conditioning in summer and winter weather in Maryland. Often think of moving somewhere warmer but wonder if my body would simply adjust and be cold whenever the temperatures cool off.

I am with you on herbal tea! Need to break out the dehydrator, too.

Take care,
Vicki

Date: October 05, 2011 07:42PM

That's one thing I've not tried is dehydrating foods. I'm a little afraid that I might really like some of the things I could make. I'll stick with simple whole foods and simple smoothies, and green juices for now.

I also am not sure about sprouting stuff...I might try that sometime.

Love,
Prism

Date: October 06, 2011 01:23PM

You should definitely sprout seeds. So much cheaper than the store. It is not hard at all. In fact, it is gratifying because they sprout so quickly, and you think, "I grew that"!

Dehydrating is a mixed bag. Some things turn out well, some don't. So many opinions as to the temperature levels, too! The hardest thing for me is how long it takes.

Sounds like your choices are really clean, Prism. Wondering if adding a little dehydrated foods might make your ability to sustain this lifestyle easier.

Have a glorious day!

Vicki

Date: October 06, 2011 01:30PM

Oh I forgot! I have lost 3 pounds. Yipee!!!!! Doesn't sound like much, but it's progress. Also working out so I am sure that is contributing to the loss. That's the thing, though, I have to be vigilant about my diet and my exercise. Otherwise, I will never achieve and maintain the level of health and fitness that I love.

Was reading a blog on another site yesterday. At every entry she recited a mantra similar to this: It is easier to stay the course than to start over. I need to remember that.

Vicki

Date: October 10, 2011 12:57AM

I have lost another half pound. Wish the weight were releasing faster but I am working on being patient. Worked out 4 days last week. Making onion bread/crackers. Can't believe it takes 36 hours!!

Date: October 10, 2011 04:32PM

What would we do if the weight came of in a matter of days?! Maybe spend all our time in the bathroom!

I'm always amazed at how fast it does come off compared to how long it takes to get fat. A matter of months compared to a matter of years.

I want my pants to fall off soon..my underwear are lose and keep sagging down past my butt. It's my tummy fat that needs to disappear or at least it's the one area that really bothers me..besides my double chin.

I have to lose at least 60 lbs. and when I do (first time on raw it took me 6 months to lose that) I'm going to really let it sink in it's gone. I want a really large mirror.

Love,
Prism

Date: October 11, 2011 02:21PM

Oh Prism!

LOL!!! I TOTALLY needed to receive your message!! Today I am frustrated. At the beginning of the weekend my weight dropped a little more and today it is up a pound. I can't seem to just drop the weight; it keeps finding me again! I know that my currently sedentary lifestyle is not helping. Trying to finish up my MBA and taking a heavy load, so I am sitting all day at work and on the weekend. Not nearly enough exercise or general bodymoving.

Can appreciate that we will have to work very hard to accept that our false bodies are gone for good and release the need to wrap ourselves in our fat. What are we hiding from? Otherwise, we will simply regain,and all that work will have been for nothing. I am too old to keep playing these games with myself. Sick of wearing the same clothes, too. We can do this!

May you have an awesome day!!

Hugs,
Vicki

Date: October 12, 2011 05:31PM

I watch videos on you tube about raw foods for motivation. It really helps me. I also have watched movies on Netflix about raw foods and other things that pertain to health.

I am walking more now since I have the new dog. I wish to heaven that there was an indoor pool around here.

We can do this..and we can do it without the pain that those people go thru on Biggest Loser. They really go thru hell to get thin. I never had to do that when I went raw the first time. I walked and that's all I did besides change my eating habits. I lost 71 lbs. I felt terrific.

Yes..we can and we will do it.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: gems ()
Date: December 16, 2011 07:28AM

hope its going well for you Gone bananas smiling smiley hope your keeping it up smiling smiley good luck

gems smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables