Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: new phase
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 22, 2009 03:57AM

>I really want to see you when I visit the Boston area. We may be staying with friends in Cambridge instead of our daughter's place in Malden.>

Super! I can't wait to see you guys.

I'm holding thoughts of love, joy, abundance and gratitude for you; just know that your needs are being met, perhaps in totally unexpected ways and through serendipitous opportunities. Since we're completely one with the Unified Field of Love and Abundance, we are never divorced from our supply. (That's good advice for me too, ha ha!)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mona ()
Date: February 22, 2009 01:35PM

Thank you, Sharrhan, for your beautiful words and great reminder.

So, it's Carnaval here in Panama, which is feasting and party atmosphere.
Here's Panama's Canaval theme song by our very own Samy and Sandra Sandaval:
[padremickey.blogspot.com]

So, I am preparing my favorite foods: dolmas, mock tabouli salad and humus. I know I'll suffer a bit for it. Last time I made these I stunk to high heaven. They are so good. The humus I make is the one that is made with zucchini. I think it's called "No bean hummus" which I found online somewhere.

Here's my recipes for dolmas salad and tabouli salad. I just make dolmas with the dolma salad. I got all these recipes from Cherie Soria and I hope she doesn't mind me sharing them. Her recipe book is the next one I want to get. So far, her recipes that I have been able to make have been wonderful.

1 C wild rice, bloomed (soaked in water for 2-3 days
2 C each, diced tomatoes and zucchini
a bit of olive oil. I don't use too much, only about 2-3 tablespoons.
handful of pinenuts
some orange and lime juice to taste,
handful of currents or raisins
grape leaves, rinsed and cut into small pieces if you want to make it a salad.
some parsley, dill, oregano, scallions, garlic, salt and pepper to taste.

Actually, I don't measure anything. I just use the amount that appears right and taste as I go. Mix all this together and enjoy. Now if you want to make dolmas, leave the grape leaves out of the salad and put a tablespoon or so of salad mix on the leaves and roll. Enjoy!

This recipe is Quinoa Salad, but I don't have quinoa, so I use chapote, which is some green fruit that everyone in Panama eats, or I grate a white radish.

sprouted quinoa, finely chopped or diced chapote, or whatever you use as a rice substitute: this is about 1 C or more.
parsley, chopped
1 C or so each, tomatoes and cucumbers, diced
1 T olive oil (you can use a bit more, but I don't like too much)
green onions, chopped
mint, chopped
garam masala, (I use cumin also)
salt
garlic, pressed
cashews (optional)

Mix together and enjoy. I use lots of mint, but use what tastes good to you.

This is my Carnaval feast. Carnaval runs thru Tuesday so enjoy the continuous party.

Love

Mona
Go to [padremickey.blogspot.com] to get the latest news on what's in the news and humorous posts as well as our mission work.

My serenity is directly proportional to my level of acceptance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 01:36PM by Mona.

Date: February 22, 2009 05:27PM

Hey Mona,
I'm getting hungry reading your recipes! Sprouted grains are something I haven't tried too often, but they sound SO good. I think I've avoided them because I was afraid I'd overeat them. I might try them on my camping trip this coming summer though-- seems like a good camping food.

I just re-read my little message above; hope I didn't sound 'lecture-y.' Sometimes when I'm waxing poetic (heh) I can sound pompous instead of inspiring. Jonathan and I struggle with cash flow problems from time to time too, so I totally empathize.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 23, 2009 01:24PM

Hi Sharrhan,

When I read your comment, my thoughts were that you really care and your intentions are for wanting the best for me. So, I looked at the message as being given with love. Plus, I aggree that we are one with the universe and the Spirit/Source/God/Higher Power and therefore agree with your statement.

Last night I made the Quinoa salad with chacote instead of quinoa and, WOW!, it was wonderful! My rice is almost ready to make the dolmas. Yum. It's easy to over eat these salads. I think that's what I am becoming more aware of taking care not to do.

Love,

Mona

P U T = Patience, Understanding, Tolerance.

Humility is not a station we arrive at; it's a way of traveling.

Date: February 24, 2009 12:58PM

Oops. I meant to write chayote instead of chacote.

It's the last day of Carnaval. Party, party, party! The whole city is closed down. It's so quiet. Everyone is in the interior. Las Tablas is where all the Carnaval action is.

Tonight, I'm making my dolmas. Last night we finished watching Veer Zaara, a wonderful bollywood movie. I always cry at the end. We love bollywood and have lots of movies. When I watch them and see food like ladoos, I wonder how to make a raw version of them. Ladoos were a big part of last night's movie. Well, I do make a salad dressing with curry and other Indian spices to help satisfy my craving. I'm always looking for more recipes though. It doesn't help when my husband makes Indian food, and he's a wonderful cook. Luckily, he throws meat in everything which stops my temptation. Anyway, if you know of any Indian raw recipes, I would love to try them.

Love,

Mona
Go to [padremickey.blogspot.com] for commentary and humorous posts as well as our mission work.

ACTION = Any Change Towards Improving Ones Nature

I cannot add to the peace and good will of the world if I fail to create an atmosphere of harmony and love right where I live and work.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 02, 2009 05:17PM

i would love to go to Carnaval just once in my life its on my bucket list for sure smiling smiley it sounds like so much fun smiling smiley

what is your dolmas recipe? i used to love dolmas yummy yumm smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: March 05, 2009 01:18PM

Hi Jody. The way I make my dolmas is by using the wild rice recipe I posted above and roll them in grape leaves. That's it! Sometimes I make a dip with hummus or a lemony-olive oil sauce. I just make it up as I go. No recipe really.

Right now I'm drinking green smoothies regularly and still eating a large salad at night. My favorite fruit smoothie right now: bananas, orange juice and melon blanca. Darn. I can't think of the name in English. Jeez. It's really green and not white.... Thank God for my husband: honeydew. It's in season right now and wonderful. I bought three from a street vender at a red light for a dollar. He told me we make a "chicha" with it. Chicha in Panama is a juice drink.

That's it for today. Have a great week.

Love,

Mona

Date: March 15, 2009 01:04PM

I'm still eating green smoothies, fruit, and nuts and a large salad at night.

I started doing the 5 Tibetan Rites again. This time I went right for the 21 reps rather than working up to them. I never reach my goal if I try to do it gently. It's best if I just do it; start where I want to end up. I was really sore the first day. I took a day off, then did the 21 reps yesterday. I'm not as sore today, so I think I'll be able to do this. I'm not very good with the last rite. I kinda cheat by touching the floor with my belly while I'm doing it. This is OK in my book because when I started doing these, I couldn't even do 3 of them. This tells me I'm stronger even though I haven't been doing the rites regularly for a year. I still walk several days a week and practice bikram yoga several times a week. My flexibility has really improved, but still not where it was when I was in my teens or 20's.

Have a fantastic week, everyone!

Love,

Mona

W O W = Willingness Over Willpower.

Forgiveness is the final form of love.

I am not punished by circumstances, only by my refusal to grow.

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: March 15, 2009 02:50PM

Mona,

It sounds like you're doing great!
Keep your eye on the prize, and enjoy the journey!!

If you post a reply to this message and would like my feedback, it would be best to send me a private message to that effect. Otherwise, I may not check this thread for a while.

***Info from the advisors at HealthNVitality***

Date: March 31, 2009 12:27PM

I have been sooooo busy trying to get everything ready for our trip to California. What I was wondering, if any of you who read my diary live in the Bay Area? I'll be there for the month of May and am hoping to meet some of you. I am the only raw foodist in the City of Panama. The other one I know if lives in Chiriqui which is by the Costa Rica Boarder. If you would like to get together while I'm in Berkeley, please send me a private message and I'll get back to you.

I've been eating fine most of the time, with some execptions; I was tempted by West Indian food. I'm feeling the results now. A friend brought me some wheat grass seeds which are growing quite nicely. I'll have wheat grass juice today! Yeah!!

I'm still doing my morning walks about 4x a week and the 5 T rites about 5x a week. I'm still doing the 21 reps like it suggests. At least I'm no longer sore but my heart beats like a rabbit's when I'm doing the last rite. I feel stronger and I love how I feel all day when I work out.

I'm teaching flute now and loving it. I have beginning students. They are so cute and I love playing with them.

Got to go, hubby needs computer.

Love,

Mona

GOD = Gifts Offered Daily
GOD = Give Others Dignity

Date: March 31, 2009 02:10PM

Have a great trip, Mona! Wish I could join you over on the west coast. I'm designing flyers for teaching flute today-- thanks for the reminder! I'm going to try to find some beginning and intermediate students who want to learn how to improvise and play jazz.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: March 31, 2009 03:09PM

Sharrhan,

That sounds so cool. I'm hoping to improve my flute playing while on sabbatical so I can teach intermediate students. I love teaching beginners right now. I have 6 students so far. Too bad I'm leaving them in a couple of weeks. The woodwind teacher's going to take them while I'm gone.

I'm still hoping to make it to Malden so we can get together and play flute. I'll practice improvising, too. I used to do it with my hippy bluegrass friends back in my youth. That was so much fun.

Mona
padremickey.blogspot.com

Remember yesterday, dream of tomorrow, but live for today.

Serenity isn't freedom from the storm; it is peace within the storm.

Date: April 01, 2009 12:15AM

>Serenity isn't freedom from the storm; it is peace within the storm.<

Man, isn't that the truth!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 07, 2009 01:32PM

What a week. I was able to walk and do the 5 Tibetan rites this week. My goal is at least to exercise 4 to 5 times a week. That's about what my schedule allows right now. What I've noticed is my arms are filling out. I've been super skinny for so long it's really noticable when I'm not so bony.

Recently, I was able to get some wheatgrass seeds. They actually grew! Because I don't have a proper juicer, I learned I can cut them into very small pieces and with about a 1/2 cup water, blend them until very fine and strain. I learned it tastes better with less water and it's super green. I know it's thinned out a bit, but for right now, it's better than nothing. In the past, I mixed them with a soaked date, but I'm out of dates right now. Because I have grey hair now, I'm starting to put some of the juice on my hair. I heard this was how Ann Wigmore got rid of her grey hair. It may take months before I see any change if it works.

Haven't been able to eat as many green smoothies lately. I've been too busy and haven't been at home very much. I did get some wonderful cane juice the other day. Here's a link to my blog in which my husband posted pictures of my fruit guy. [padremickey.blogspot.com]

Have a fabulous day!

Mona
padremickey.blogspot.com

God speaks to us all a little differently, hoping we'll tell each other.

Happiness is part of the journey, not some distant destination.

Date: April 14, 2009 01:26PM

This week I've managed to eat smoothies and lots of salads. Some of my salads are kind of odd since I'm eating everything I can to empty my fridge. I slacked off my exercises a bit. My concentration is on preparaing for my trip.

Went to Seder on Friday. My dear friends can't get the idea of me being raw so they bought me some tofutti to dip the veggies in. I brought a huge salad with a lovely lemon-garlic dressing and my own "wine." I love Seder. We have a wonderful time and I love eating the bitter herbs.

I leave tomorrow for California. Will be traveling to Fresno, Sonora, San Jose then Berkeley. Still looking for a raw foodist to hook up with. Please email me if you're in any of these areas. Will be in SJ the last week of April and Berkeley for the month of May. Hope to hear from you and meet you.

Love,

Mona
padremickey.blogspot.com

Get it ---give it---grow in it

Glance at the past, but don’t stare at it.

Date: April 14, 2009 05:40PM

Mona--
Have a wonderful trip!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 23, 2009 06:57PM

What a wild week. Got to CA with the dog. My raw diet was totally blown. Oh, well. I'm getting back to it now. The people I'm staying with this week let me have free riegn in the kitchen and I have lots of fruit and greens.

I got some kale for green smoothies. Tastes great. I don't get kale in Panama so it's a real treat. My smoothies have either pear or grapefruit juice or melon right now. They've been really tasty. I've been making huge salads for dinner everynight to share and that's been working out really well. I also make an apple salad because I'm used to eating apples daily.

This morning for breakfast I had 2 oranges and almost a whole cantalope which I shared. For lunch, I'll make a green kale smoothie with apples. Then it looks like I'll be going shopping for some more fruit.

I'm in San Jose, CA until next Tues, then off to Berkeley for a month. So if you're in Berkeley or close by, please send me a note. I would love to meet you.

Until next time...

Mona

Scales of pride and prejudice fell from my eyes.

Date: April 28, 2009 05:00PM

I got really sick this week, esp yesterday. Started Sunday with a sore throat, then fever and runny nose. The thing is, the man we're staying with has the same thing; he was sick when we got here. No one else in the house got it. The thing is, I think when I got sick it's due to detoxing the cooked food I've been eating over the last couple of weeks. If I was the only one, then I would know for sure that was it, but because he was sick when I got here and my symptoms are the same as his, how do I know I didn't get it from him? I'm still trying to figure out if the germ theory is a hoax or not. I'm also on the Rawschool yahoo forum and Nora believes all illness comes from our poor habits and not from germs. I'm better today due to lots of sleep yesterday and light eating; more drinking lemon-water than food really. I know it's not the Swine flu....

The other thing, I know my host is still sick and I feel much better. If I rest today like I did yesterday, I may be well by Thursday, God willing.

I'm off to Berkeley today, so maybe I won't get that much rest after all. My hubby and I will be there for a month. If you're in the Berkeley area, please contact me. I would love to meet you.

Take care and much love,

Mona
padremickey.blogspot.com

Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Date: May 04, 2009 04:06PM

I've been working very hard on sticking to eating raw food this week. I end up in way too many restaurants when I travel and then have no will power. Anyway, I'm back on track and doing good. At this point I'm eating strawberries, kiwi, lots of greens, apples,kale and bananas.

The "cold" I had lasted only 4 days. Pretty good. Last time I got sick it lasted 3 weeks.

That's it for now. Think I'll go make myself a green smoothie and have some strawberries.... yummy...

Mona

If I always do what I've always done, I'll always get what I've always got.

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: May 13, 2009 06:02PM

Mona,

Your progress is a testimony to the healing power of the raw lifestyle.

You rock!

If you post a reply to this message and would like my feedback, it would be best to send me a private message to that effect. Otherwise, I may not check this thread for a while.

***Info from the advisors at HealthNVitality***

Date: May 15, 2009 04:42PM

Wow am I feeling GREAT! I'm eatin' raw almost 100% (I'm not so sure about some of the nuts or the vinegar, etc.). I'm walking up and down the Oakland Hills, and doing other exercises. I added jogging when I take my dog out. We jog only on the flatter areas of the streets. Don't want to run up the hills.

I started doing face exercises about a month ago. I do see a difference but have a ways to go. My cheeks are starting to fill out. Yeah! I'm doing the 21 day program by Tonya Z for the second time and I like the way it's working so far and what I see in the mirror.

I'm still enjoying green smoothies with kale. I'm eating lots of oranges, strawberries, melons, blueberries and greens. I'm waiting for the peaches, but I guess they'll be here in July. Don't remember.

Have the best day ever, everyone.

Love,

Mona

Wisdom is knowing what to do, virtue is doing it.

F I N E = Frustrated, Insecure, Neurotic, Emotional.

Date: May 16, 2009 03:42PM

>F I N E = Frustrated, Insecure, Neurotic, Emotional.<

;-p lol

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 21, 2009 02:49PM

Hello, everyone.

I've been eating lots of strawberries, bananas, cherries, sprouts, arrugula, other greens, pearl tomatoes and having a wonderful time. I'm going to Newark and Boston next week and am looking forward to that. It's only for a week, but I most likely won't be on line.

I wanted to post a picture, but can't seem to figure out how to do it. Any hints? I have a photo of me when I was 30-yrs-old. It's from 1983. I'm the one in the very short white dress. Here's the post with the picture: [padremickey.blogspot.com]

Love,

Mona
padremickey.blogspot.com

FINE = Free, Independent, New, and Energetic

A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.

Date: May 23, 2009 05:26AM

Wow, Mona! Great legs, young lady.

And I never fail to come away with a smile when I visit your blog. You and Michael are so funny and engaging.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 26, 2009 02:33PM

Thanks Sharrhan. I think it might have been more fun to have people guess my age in the photo. One of my friends thought I looked 14 in it. ļ

Hasn¡¦t been easy staying 100% raw lately. I¡¦ve been eating at too many restaurants with friends. I know I could ask for a completely raw dish, but I¡¦m tired of explaining my diet and the looks I get and the billion questions. It¡¦s easier to eat the most raw salad on the menu and asking for cheese and eggs to be removed.

I¡¦m in the process of searching for a good juicer. If you have a favorite juicer you would like to recommend, please reply here or on my juicer thread in the juice and blender section. Thanks.

Love to you all,

Mona

Within our wonderful new world,
we have found freedom from our fatal obsession.

Date: May 29, 2009 02:34PM

I’ve been juicer hunting for the last couple of weeks and finally decided on a Juiceman. It was tough to choose between a Belville, which I might get later anyway, Jack LaLane, and the Juiceman. The phrase “it’s a cinch to clean” won me over. My Black and Decker is a pain to clean. Anyway, I figure it will show up at my daughter’s house by the time I get back from Newark and Boston.

Also, I’ve managed to stay 100% raw for 2 days now. YEAH!!!! I notice that I eat less smoothies in the States than in Panama. Interesting…. Maybe it’s because I’m always going out to eat. I buy food for where I’m staying, but am rarely home.

Peach season is starting up and I love peaches. The peaches in Panama are terrible, so I just stick to the locally grown fruit there; not that the fruit isn’t great, because it is. I love it.

Well, off to eat a breakfast of oranges, apples, bananas and mango. Wait, that sounds like what I’d have in Panama. Well, I’m out of berries,cherries and peaches and plan on buying some today.

Love,

Mona

Resentment is like acid, eating away at the vessel in which it is stored.

Date: June 11, 2009 09:04PM

I’ve had a wonderful week. Went to Boston and got to see my good friend Sharrhan. We hung out at the Boston Common at a play area so my grandchildren were entertain while we adults got to talk. Loved it! Sharrhan and Jonathan looked wonderful and it was terrific to hang out with them.

Been trying to stay as much raw as I can. I do well as long as I don’t go to restaurants. However, we’re going to dinner tonight at a Japanese restaurant for my daughter’s birthday. I’m vegan, so I don’t eat their raw… well, you know….. They have a seaweed salad that’s really good. Not really sure if it’s raw, but it tastes good.

We’re off to the Trinity Alps for the next month and a half. Don’t know how often I’ll be on line. I’ll try to visit the forum as often as able.

Love,

Mona
Padremickey.blogspot.com

The deception of others is nearly always rooted in the deception of ourselves.

C H A N G E D = Choosing Honesty Allows New Growth Each Day.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 19, 2009 09:39PM

ooooo ima jealous ! i want to hang with sharrhan grinning smiley

glad you had a good time smiling smiley

regarding restaurants , dont feel you are imposing on them by asking for special made items smiling smiley almost any restaurant will accomodate you (they want your money !)

i have had very good luck with pre-contacting the places we eat and giving them the low down on what i will or wont eat .. some of the chefs i parlay with like the challenge of doing something new smiling smiley

any place that cant be bothered isnt worth your time eating at smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 07, 2009 08:55PM

Wow! It's been a long time since I've been online to write. Still raw except for a couple of samosas I couldn't resist. Anyway, I'm back on track. Miss my juicer. Left it in my home in the Trinity Alps. I decided not to take it to Panama with me. We have too many suitcases as it is. I'll get it when I return to live in the States next year.

I'm looking forward to going home and not eating in restaurants anymore. OK, at least for a long time. I'm psyching myself into doing either mono meal eating for a week or an oil-free cleanse with lots of fruit and greens for two weeks. I'm not keen on fasting because I get too skinny, which I don't like. I've been eating so many nuts and avocados since I've been in the States along with some cooked veggies. A cleanse seems appropriate for me when I return home next week.

I've missed all of you. Hope your raw food eating has been going well.

Love,

Mona
padremickey.blogspot.com

When I change the way I look at things, the things I look at change.

Once we understand ourselves, the rest of living falls in line.

Date: August 13, 2009 03:16PM

Yeah!!! I'm home! Flying always means bad food day for me. However, yesterday I dry fasted until 11:00. Today, I'm still dry fasting, but it may be only until 10:30. I have lots of errands to do and I don't know when I'll return home to eat. So, I'm planning to eat watermelon before I leave. Also, yesterday, I had two smoothies, one was banana and mango, the other was banana and papaya. I had a salad for dinner with 2 small apples, greens, cukes, tomatoes, and carrots.

Yesterday morning, I went to my guy who sells fruit out of the back of his truck and got a bunch of food; papaya, watermelon, mangos, bananas, and pineapple, all for $5. I'll miss the berries, peaches, plums, and several greens that don't make their way to Panama. Both countries have their positive and negative aspects both foodwise and otherwise.

It's always good to be back at my own home. Can't wait to return to California to live next year. Don't know where I'm going to end up yet.

Have a great day!

Mona
padremickey.blogspot.com

Once we understand ourselves, the rest of living falls in line.

The way to get anywhere is to start from where you are.

Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables