Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Going to take the plunge!
Posted by: Dr Mom ()
Date: February 11, 2007 10:08PM

I have crackers and banana chips in the dehydrator. I am about 60% now, but I struggle with chocolate and hot soups. So, I am going to work on making some raw cacao treats to help with that. I'll start posting my diary tomorrow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Going to take the plunge!
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 12, 2007 03:10AM

welcome Dr. Mom...sounds like u are doing good.i need to make crackers and i have not yet.lets see. i got a spiral slicer and love it so much. i made zucchini noodles that are like angel hair.and sauce for the top.so good.i made bread when first started and it was so so good.well-good luck and welcome.hugs taylor

Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: February 12, 2007 03:51AM

Hello welcome Dr.MOM.....i know you can do it....sounds like you are doing a wonderful job already...i am new to raw community only about 2 1/2 weeks into it but loving it and the results.....i have been researching and studying for a while and attended OHI in san diego wherei live before that practices the raw lifestyle!! so good luck to you and i am interested in seeing your progress i know you can do it and will do great!!
good luck
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Date: February 13, 2007 12:08AM

2/11
For breakfast, I had raw granola bars. My boss kept coming into my office and eating them too.

I had about two almond flax crackers for a snack .

Lunch was a large salad with bean sprouts and tons of different veggies with red pepper vinagrette dressing from Serene Allison's book.

I had homemade veggie soup (cooked) for dinner.

It seems like I blow it the minute I walk in the door.My family is totally cooked, albeit healthy cooked food and I end up eating it.

I've had 64 oz of water so far.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 13, 2007 07:02AM

Dr Mom,

I notice that you don't eat any fruit. Fruit is a raw foodist's best friend. Even in my high fat days salad days, when I was eating an unhealthy 60% fat diet, I always started my day with a fruit breakfast.

Perhaps start the morning with 4 navels or 3 bananas. Fruit also makes an excellent snack, but once you start eating fat in the day, its hard to consume fruit after a fat meal as it doesn't digest that well. So you might look at a fruit breakfast, a different fruit morning snack, a salad lunch (and I'm assuming you use fat in your dressing).

Date: February 13, 2007 12:31PM

Thanks Bryan,
I will start with a smoothie this morning. I usually eat two containers of blueberries every day, but I was out yesterday. 4 navels or 3 bananas seems like more than my stomach would handle. Maybe I will be surprised. My granola bars have apples and dates in them but are mostly nuts.

Yes, my salad dressings have olive oil in them.

Do you do fruit again for dinner?

Date: February 13, 2007 12:42PM

I wanted to come back and note that I decided to have apples for breakfast. I cut two of them up but was only able to eat one. I guess I will take the other with me for a snack . Is it normal to only be able to eat one for breakfast? Also, the only supplement that I am taking at this time is a good B complex with some schizandria fruit for adrenal support since I tend to run on adrenaline all day with my job. Should I be taking anything else? I prefer to get my protein from nuts and seeds rather than a powder. Is this wise?

I want to make sure that I am getting enough food. I would not want to lose more than 10 lbs.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 13, 2007 05:58PM

Dr Mom,

I am on the skinny side and am worrried about getting thin.

If you commit to this diet you may initially lose some weight but the good news is you'll feel like you're 30 years younger and to h*** with what people say.

You see this is a sore point for me because of all the concern by family and friends around my weight because I was this thin when I had thyroid cancer about 3 years ago at age 50.

I'm 5'7" and 113 lbs but it's fat I've lost this time around, but I don't look wasted like I did then and my celulite is disappearing fast.

But there's one h*** of a difference between how I feel now and how I felt then!

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: February 13, 2007 07:29PM

Hi Dr Mom!

Could you please tell me - what is schizandria fruit? I've never heard of that.

Thanks!

Sapphire

Date: February 13, 2007 10:12PM

Sure. Here is a copy and pasted description. Adrenal support isOther names: Wu wei zi, Chinese mock-braberry, lemonwood

Description: Schizandra belongs to the family if the Magnoliaceae family. Schizandra is a creeping woody vine that is native to China and Japan. The schizandra fruit has a sweet, salty, bitter, hot and sour taste. This explains the Chinese name wu wei zi meaning five taste fruit. The Schizandra seeds are bitter and pungent. Besides the phytochemicals, schizandra is also rich in minerals, vitamins and essential oils.

Parts used: Schizandra extracts are made from the small berries. Most of the lignans are concentrated in the schizandra berries.

Phytochemicals: Schizandrin, Lignans, Beta-Sitosterol, Gomisin

Medicinal properties: Schizandra has a long history of medical use in the oriental countries. In China, Schizandra is one of the components of the herbal medicine Shenmai San, which is used to treat coronary heart disease. Schizandra is used for the treatment of different diseases, including insomnia, irritation, palpitation and dyspnea. Schizandra is also used a general tonic, for treatment of skin disorders and as sedative.
Recent studies have shown that Schizandra possess following properties: anti-bacterial, cardiac tonic, antioxidant and anti-depressant. Schizandra contains also phytoestrogens. This explains why Schizandra is used by menopausal women to treat cardiovascular disease. The phytochemicals which might be responsible for this action have not yet been identified. Young Joo and colleagues concluded in his study "Extracts from Schizandra chienensis Fruits Activate Estrogen Receptors: A Possible Clue to its Effects on Nitric Oxide-Mediated Vasorelaxation" in Biol.Pharma. Bull 27(7) 1066-1069 (2004) that schizandra extracts act as a weak phytoestrogens.
In Russia, schizandra is a registered medicine for vision problems.

Other facts: The schizandra fruit has a sweet, salty, bitter, hot and sour taste. This explains the Chinese name "wu wei zi" meaning "five taste fruit". The Schizandra seeds are bitter and pungent. Besides the phytochemicals, schizandra is also rich in minerals, vitamins and essential oils.
not mentioned in this description, but I have had good success in using it for this.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 13, 2007 10:53PM

When I was eating cooked foods, I loved apples. But I only eat apples and pears very infrequently now, as they hurt my stomach and digestive system. I can feel my body pushing the apple or pear though my stomach and intestines at an accelerated rate, and it is uncomfortable for me. When I eat them, I can only eat one.

All my meals have fruit in them. My dinner meal will also have a leafy green, like a head of romaine lettuce or a pound of baby spinach or an entire celery stalk. I like to get 1 to 2 pounds of greens in a day.

For you, with olive oil in your lunch meal, you have to play with seeing if eating fruit will work for you because of the oil in the earlier meal. If you body is still trying to digest the oil, the fruit at dinner might not digest so well. If you could eat your fatty meal as the last thing you eat, which is eat fruit and vegetables (but no fat) for breakfast and lunch and snacks, you could include fruit in your dinner, and then after eating the fruit, have a fatty salad.

It takes a while to be able to eat a sizable amount of fruit in a meal to get the calories you are used to with cooked foods. Eating cooked foods, our stomachs never needed to stretch that much, because cooked foods are so concentrated. Eating whole raw fruits and vegetables, there is a much higher water and fiber content and lower calories content, so we need to eat more foods to get the same calories. With practice, you stomach can expand (but it doesn't remain big and will shrink after the meal has digested).

Date: February 14, 2007 12:10AM

Today I had,

1 1/2 apples
1 fruit leather
large salad
about 4 sweet mini peppers with a cheerezo veggie nut stuffer.

Going to bed in about an hour before the chocolate wins.

I'll order more bananas from the co-op for Thursday delivery. Until then, it's blueberries and apples.

Date: February 14, 2007 10:57PM

2/14
I had two apples for breakfast
2 oranges for lunch
huge spinach salad with tons of veggies and apple cider vinegar (no oil) .

I'll also munch on some blueberries tonight.

I picked up several pounds of bananas for tomorrow. My produce delivery will be here tomorrow morning, so that should hold me over.

Date: February 15, 2007 07:59AM

Hi there Dr MOm congrats on your day...sounds like you did an awesome job@@ keep up the good work..
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxo
p.s. especially good since transitions are hard especially on holidays!!!

Date: February 15, 2007 07:21PM

so far, I have had about 6 bananas today and an orange. I have yams in the oven because they came with our produce order and I'm totally craving one of those!

Date: February 16, 2007 10:11PM

I've had about 5 bananas today and two oranges. I will be having a huge green leafy salad with tons of stuff in it for dinner. I think I'll throw some nuts and seeds in as well.

Posted by: starfruit ()
Date: February 17, 2007 03:07AM

SOunds like you are doing great. Keep up the good work

Date: February 17, 2007 06:06AM

good job Dr mom....keep up the good work!! how is the mostly banana diet going??? sounds like you ahve been mostly mono on that that is awesome...keep it up
take care
love sachelle
xdoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Date: March 05, 2007 07:30AM

HI there Dr. mom how are you??? we haven't heard from you in a while getting a little concerned...hope all is well....good luck with things and know we are always here for you in a slump or not...
loove sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 16, 2007 12:44AM

hey dr. mom how are things going...just checking in...
love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxoxo
aka sach

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables