Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hi, it's my first day
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 26, 2007 03:55PM

I'm glad I found you guys, My family and I need some desperate help, I want to try this raw veggie diet that I've been studying for the past couple years but have not been brave enough yet, even so my greatest giant right now is my family, my husband and children, you know all the complaints and whining etc.. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out, what should I tell them, what shall we start with, should I just start myself first? I've been trying to at least cut back on meats and just eat chicken and fish, but now I wouldn't mind just eating raw especially with all the hormones I'm reading about not to mention the fat! The other day I went out to eat with my mother and I had a prime rib (only ate 1/3 of it and it was my first one in years) after that I was wondering what was I thinking, why did I order that! I got this sick heavy feeling in my stomach, Yuck! I think I'm ready for some major changes. Please help!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hi, it's my first day
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: February 26, 2007 06:38PM

I know exactly how you feel - my family isn't raw either. I don't think it is a good idea to be too insistent on raw, but rather, to maybe challenge yourself to make some fantastic salads and make sure to include that with your regular meals to start with. I also like to have a big veggie platter with some dip for the kids when they get home from school - I never tell them it's raw or healthy, they just like it a lot. Just try to think of ways you can "wade" in slowly. Maybe from there, you could have a nice fruit salad ready in the morning and just see if anyone finds that appealing (if not, no pressure, you can just eat it yourself!) Carrying a bag of cut up oranges, and or a bag of raw almonds when we are running around doing all our daily activities is always popular. My kids are really big on after school snacks, so that's a great time to experiment with things like raw fruit pies and stuff - it's usually a big hit.

I'd love to hear how you do with this, and what kinds of ideas you come up with, I could always use a few tips myself! You haven't mentioned what equipment you have to work with. Smoothies are great if you have a blender, and I like my juicer as well. Do you have some recipe books you can use to get you started? If not, there are a lot of recipes on line if you don't mind taking the time to find them- including a lot on this site.

Good luck!
Sapphire

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 26, 2007 08:47PM

hi mama and welcome!I agree with sapphire.going easy with family .they will buck at new things.my hubby is one.i have been trying to buy yummier fruit to have for the grandkids when they come over.also i have gotten there help.i got my spiral slicer out and let them make zucchini noodles and man!! they love that little device. i got them to drink juice fresh pressed by letting them put the juice thru.then they were more interested in drinking what they juiced.i still have to cook for everyone.pancakes and cakes and cookies and all the stuff i use to love.it is hard for sure. but it can be done.i just try to incorperate more raw at this time.hugs and welcome.and good luck.it will be worth it.everyone will feel better.taylor

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Date: February 26, 2007 10:13PM

Thank you for the advice, as a matter of fact I was just telling my family yesterday that we should start having salads with every meal. Saturday I made a big platter of veggies and I've always wanted to try hummus, so I made some of that and my son later said, "mom I don't like pummus". I thought that was cute.
Well we are into smoothies, it seems like the easiest nutritional boost. It's an easy way for me to slip in "hidden goodies". I do have them drinking super green smoothies and the super berry smoothies, it's pretty much been just those two. I also have a juicer and I have done a juice fast in the past with mainly cantelope, apples and carrots. I'm so glad I found this site, I was actually doing a search on coconut water this morning and somehow came across this site. I will keep you updated...

Date: February 27, 2007 02:23AM

well mama-that all seems like alot of really good stuff u are doing for your family.good luck and welcome again and keep us posted.hugs taylor

Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: February 27, 2007 06:43AM

Hi there....well welcome and congrats on starting your raw journey...this site will be a life saver for you...at least it has been for me....you sound like you are doing a great job already sneaking in healthy now and again...raw smoothies congrats that is awesome you are getting your children to drink the green ones most people stick up there nose...i nanny for two little beautiful girls and i got theolder one (who is 12) to try my green smoothie...she didn't like it..she calls them my yuck-o green smoothies haha....anyway i agree with sapphire..just slowly incorporate things.....like the veggies and fruits....good luck and keep us posted...i look forward to hearing all the wonderful ways you find to help your family become a healthy raw family or close smiling smiley
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Posted by: starfruit ()
Date: February 27, 2007 12:21PM

Just wanted to say welcome. All these ladies advice is great and i agree with them. Your going to love the journey to raw.

xoxo,
Starfruit

Date: February 28, 2007 06:52AM

Hi there..just checking in to see how youwere doing today and if you had any great breakthroughs with the family....let me know!! take care and we are always here
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: February 28, 2007 01:39PM

My hubby adn daughter are not raw.
WE are all vegan however.

I do cook for them and do not insist they be raw.

IT IS HARD!!!
I often times have cooked dinner with them....you can read about my struggles in my log...

I just try to pick the BEST cooked I can

Quinoa
wild/brown rice
soba noodles
rice pasta NOT wheat

Stir fried veggies
steamed veggies
beans..rarely
tofu

It's very hard I cook for them anad I feel I ned to taste and see if the spices are right - it smells and tastes SO YUMMY that I end up eating bowl after bowl!!

You will do your family a GREAT service if you stop all animal products and go VEGAN, at teh same time you can eat raw and make similar raw meals to their cooked meals...
my favorite it Zuchinni Pasta - I have a saladacco, but I'm lazy and just use a potato peeler to make noodles - then, just cover with raw tomato or pesto sauce.

Try to keep it simpe because the prep time CAN turn you off...

Date: March 01, 2007 01:25AM

I'm doing better, yesterday we went to pizza hut (at hubby's request) they had Tuesday night buffet and all they had up there was "meat" pizza and I could not eat these, I requested a "veggie" pizza so I had to wait, but it was worth the wait!!
I actually compared my son's meat pizza to my veggie pizza and told him to check out all the grease on the meat pizza and when we got home we had a big discussion about all the artery clogging foods. He is only 9 and he is interested, so is my 8 year old daughter. My husband and older 15 year old daughter it is so much harder because they are set in their ways.
Today (I'm so proud of myself) for lunch I had only raw veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, and half of a roma tomato which was very delicious. And for a snack I had applesauce. I'm getting there. Thank you all for encouraging me, it really helps a lot especially when ya'll are experienced in this.

Posted by: starfruit ()
Date: March 01, 2007 02:44AM

COngrats. I'm glad you are doing so well and that the kids areinterested. That's great.

xoxo,
Starfruit

Date: March 01, 2007 04:10AM

well-i love vegetarian pizzas way more that the meat ones. i use to get one and tons of raw sliced tomatoes were on top.it was sooo yummy.i sure know what u mean though.i have to be with all my family.they all smoke and eat everything.i am always trying to stay down wind of them all.once my fisherman son who chews...spit his chew into the taco bell cup that we had been sharing.i did not know there was no more soda and i took big swig and it was his chew spit.oh man!! so horrid. well-it sounds like u are doing good. and being a wonderful role model to make you and your family live longer.with a better quality of life.hugs taylor

Date: March 05, 2007 07:28AM

Hi there...where did you go??? I have been absent from the sight because my cable was shut off i forgot to pay the bill and they shut the internet off as a warning i guess cuz the cable stays on...anyways looks like you have been missing as well....and i was wondering how things were going??? how are you and how is the family...hope you are still doing great and taking small steps to becoming raw......good luck
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 02, 2007 08:28AM

hey hun..how is life going?? you were so excited to start the journey i hope the path hasn't left you feeling sad about the journey and hopeless....i am sury ou are doing great!!!! let us know how things are going
take care
love earthangel
akasachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 13, 2007 10:46PM

Hi... where did you go mama?

are you still here? doign raw? i hope so! update us and let us know how it's going!

tiffntwins

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 13, 2007 10:54PM

i second that!! where did you go...i am sure all is well but we are here for you no matter what life throws at ya
take care
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables