Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Starting a green juice fast tomorrow
Date: March 09, 2007 08:38PM

I am just going 100% today and would like to kick it off with a long green fast. I've been eating fruit all day (well, 2 or 3 pears in addition to my usual daytime greens) and I just fart a lot. I know that flatulence is normal at first, but it feels so fermenty and I figure a long juice fast will buck me up and make me feel better.

I don't really like sweet tastes and I like green juices. My fast is going to include frozen wheatgrass juice and powdered grass juice, too, so some people will think this fast is silly and lacking in life-force. The powdered grass is dried at 88 degrees.

I will of course be doing fresh green juices, too. It's strange that my raw diary will double my juice-fast diary.

I wonder what my fast will be like!
Megan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starting a green juice fast tomorrow
Posted by: starfruit ()
Date: March 09, 2007 08:50PM

Yay and welcome. Can't wait to here how this goes. We are all here for oyu. Good luck

xoxo,
Starfruit

Date: March 09, 2007 09:19PM

Thank you!!! I feel really good about not being by myself, and if things get bad, it'll make a good story!

Love, Megs

Date: March 10, 2007 01:20AM

Well, I am really excited (and SCARED) about my fast, but it's time to open up to myself and give myself a gift. Treat myself to a rest, especially from toxic people and as many toxic situations as I can avoid. Had my last meal for a long time - still really farting from the fruit, so it makes it easier to think of just pure, clean liquid going in.

I know when I wake up I'll be terrified. "Wait a minute - what am I doing?" But at the moment I crave the fast, and having a diary here to keep for the long trip is really nice and comforting.

I keep wondering what it will be like, and then I keep answering, "Well, it will be like the way it is, whatever that is." Helpful, eh? These tautological truisms! But there's something heartening buried there as well - if you know and trust a process, you can be all right with however it unfolds - the immense difficulty is knowing and trusting the process you've chosen, trusting it always to be itself and true.

I hope I have chosen a good process to trust.

Good luck, everyone!

Megan

Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: March 10, 2007 08:12AM

Hi there...welcome and congrats you will feel amazing after your green juice fast..good luck and i look forwarding to seeing how well you grow from this..
anything your body craves is the right thing..always trust your body it knows what you need
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Date: March 10, 2007 02:49PM

It's great to be here on Day 1, everybody! As Sachelle says, I am trusting my body. This is a big thing. I'm just listening to what it's been crying out. I'm letting go of books, facts, websites, worries, most of all IDEAS, and I'm just giving it what it says is mm, good for it right now.

It feels good. I was very, very scared the moment I woke up, but I know I have a lot of substances I am giving up - you have to give them up "cold turkey" - and that in itself can fry your brain and make you feel really anxious, but it does pass - I feel much better now after my cool, refreshing, megagreen juice.

I know that at some point, even today and definitely by next week, I will come up with all sorts of misgivings and rationalizations for why I shouldn't try to do this or should do something different, but right now it feels good! And it's fun being on this forum with you, Starfruit and Sachelle.

Date: March 10, 2007 05:21PM

Wow you have such a wonderful attitude. It's very refreshing .Hoep your day goes marvelously.

xoxo,
Starfruit

Date: March 10, 2007 08:50PM

I am still going...I was tempted to stop the fast a couple of hours ago, but I feel a lot better and more determined again now!

Thank you for the encouragement, Starfruit. Back at you.

xo

Date: March 10, 2007 09:46PM

Hey girl keep up the good work....i know you will do wonderful on this...learning what your body wants and needs it is an amazing thing....i commend you for trying this fast......i did a water fast for 10 days a month ago and felt amazing it was so great.....good luck today and keep us posted....we love having you as well on the forum.....
love sachelle
xoxoxoxooxoxoxox

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 11, 2007 12:39AM

be

Date: March 11, 2007 02:20PM

I crashed and had some pears - but it felt bad, so I stopped. I felt so disappointed in myself that I thought of really messing up and cooking some carrots (I should throw away my pot), but I thought about it a while and said to myself, "No, I really want to be raw. That's the only way I'm going to change things, to change myself. This really feels like a mistake (the pears), so tomorrow I will try to do something different, remembering how this feels. And if I can't, and I still need to eat something emotionally, I will do that and in time I will get to a point where I learn from my mistakes and don't want to do the things that feel bad." This is very unlike me! When I woke up, I was so proud of myself!

I don't know if I'll try again today. "Whatchoo gonna play now, James (Brown)?" "I don't know, but whatsever I play, it's gohna be funky!" I feel like that about raw. I don't know what I'm going to play today, but whatsever I play, it's gohnbe raw. Things'll sort themselves out. Hang on to the little you know! I know that even if I do raw "wrong" for a while, I'll lose some weight, contour my potato-puffy cheeks, relieve my body of cooked poison, and get on a good track.

I was happy to think that I don't have to just have the same thing over and over every day, the way I would if I were insisting on some perfect and limited raw plan with only perfect optimal foods, because I know it wouldn't be long before I resisted and bucked: maybe I shouldn't have the same foods day after day. I've heard that so often. I've always ignored it as words from cookedland.

Hmm..variety...

Spring Sunday to you,

xo Meg

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: March 11, 2007 09:07PM

Isn't craving supposed to lessen on a juice fast after a bit? You can give yourself variety on a green juice fast too. Dandelion is nice, or some spinach for a change I add fresh lemon juice to it. I can't really help much here because I always put fruit in my green smoothies.

I think trying this quickly teaches you something valuable about the equasion that exists between craving and not giving in. We all know whats good for us but we don't fully appreciate why until we walk the walk.

Date: March 11, 2007 09:54PM

Yes, in cases like THIS, you always feel better NOT giving in to the craving, and feel bad if you do. You just have to ride it out, and it changes.

Only had green juice again today so far, but I may again have dinner. I am trying to be accepting of myself and what I do, as long as it's raw vegan.

Walking the walk...very, very different from standing at the sidelines or edge of the pool talking.

xo

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: March 11, 2007 11:55PM

I am most definitely at the sidelines right now it's easy for me to say and all that. Only hoped to give you a smidgen of support if I could. That expression walking the walk sounds aggressive. Sorry if I'm relaying the obvious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2007 11:57PM by Dulset.

Date: March 12, 2007 12:16AM

Hang in there gal and don't be too tough on yourself.

xoxo,
Starfruit

Date: March 12, 2007 09:43AM

Hi hun...i am sending good vibes your way...don't beat yourself up over this...it will all be good!!
keep it up
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxo

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: March 12, 2007 11:48AM

TSS, there are some things I wanted to respond to from various threads, but I thought it best to do so here. I was sorry to read that you were starved as an infant - though your consciousness of this and honesty about it is really quite great. I know I experienced something very similar - neglect early in life, but I'm not sure if it involved not feeding (though it would make sense.) In any case, I definitely think that fasting is probably a bad idea for you as it may well bring up those emotions and anxieties again, in a worse way; I know I really ruined myself for awhile from a great deal of compulsive fasting a few years ago, and I'm inclined to think that it is never healthy (unless maybe it is the gallon-per-day juice feasting, and is undertaken for only stable reasons.) I don't think you should worry about it; letting yourself eat anything raw now sounds best, and can at least be permanent while a juice fast is ultimately a disruption.

I read your calories post, and wondered if your feelings that you "should" be able to live off of 200-400 calories per day were linked to this early deprivation at all? I definitely think nutrients are more important than calories, but the body likes things such as fiber, and needs a whole lot of different nutrients. I used to have pretty bad brain fog myself; partly due to the compulsive fasting and yo-yoing I was engaging in, but it was mostly emotional, and for me didn't really fend off until I found the language inside of me that could express what had been buried. I agree with you that 'breeding' doesn't need to be the highest goal in life - I think a lot of people (like my parents) should/should have questioned very deeply their ability -- their insistence to have children.

take care.

Date: March 12, 2007 03:38PM

hey sunflowers - still going with raw, but still haven't grooved into a fast yet - I feel that Dream Earth COULD be right - I've been a compulsive faster and always thought that the way to deal with all that scary newborn untouched unfed infant stuff was to do a fast and feel the pain. I've been "working" (or rather it hasn't been working) with that assumption for years, always being angry at myself when I am too scared to go through those feelings and I break fast. In fact, it's barely a decision, it's like a very primal reflex and I break fast before I know it. Sometimes I think that that is actually not something to berate myself for as spiritual sissy, but a very deep survival mechanism - the baby in me thinks I'm making her fast and SHE shouldn't fast, and I agree about that. I believe babies should be fed on demand! But I am so into the fasting mentality, about how what I feel isn't true hunger and is just conditioning and, as Dulset says, how I should turn and face it and not run away. Sometimes I think that I just may never be able to fast (or fast without bingeing), that it isn't even good for me, because it brings up such pre-lingual, pre-everything really issues of pain and frustration. I wish I KNEW. If it isn't good for me. Or if it is if I just toughed it out with enough amazing heroics.

Just today I am still feeling that I shouldn't worry about doing it right now. When I'm really honest, I wonder if fasting for me isn't just doing something wonderful for myself, wanting good things for myself; it sounds trite, but maybe for me fasting is also (maybe always will be) about not being good enough, not liking myself as I am, being "cracked" in my core. I'll NEVER stay raw if I am still actually buying into that, subterraneanly undermining my efforts. I don't think you CAN stay raw unless you make a real weird quantum leap that you are okay and it's all right to like yourself. At least, I think that is what I am seriously going to have to do if I am really going to stay raw. Weirdly, I definitely have to at bare minimum stay raw in order to make that leap of liking!

And you know what? You bunnies help with that so much. I couldn't do it without you.
I just don't feel I can let your inspiration and good vibes and wishes down.

Dream Earth, I'll write a more detailed answer later today. Have a great day!

xo Meg

Date: March 12, 2007 03:52PM

Maybe I will be able to fast someday when I've been raw and transformed - but I kinda hope by then I won't "need to" - I'd like to think that fasting is essentially a cooked modality, unnecessary when you're the "right" kind of raw. That's what I like to think and maybe why I try to force myself to be "light" raw.

Anyway, yesterday I had my juice all day and wasn't sure what, if anything, I'd eat. By the time I finished all the juicing I wanted to do, it was 6, so I thought I'd just have dinner and that's it. The day before I had felt bad after pears, and arugula was posting some scary stuff about fruit, so I had a salad of sunflower greens and nori. It still didn't feel good and I felt bad overnight and wished I had had fruit...but anyway I just kept knowing how much better it was than what I usually eat.

And that feels great today.

It really is feeling good. In just a couple of days I am feeling more optimistic. Maybe I'll open up shop after a year the way rawists do and teach people how to be happy and love themselves and not be suicidal on raw and I'll make lots of money and I'll share it with you and we'll Save The World!

Date: March 12, 2007 08:34PM

hi there darlin dear....well i just wanted to let you know that you would never let us down...we are here for support and the help you and have others help us...we all fall off the wagon no one is perfect and you should never listen to someone who thinks they are and that they don't make mistakes or they know everything people here want you to succeed and if you fall we are here to pick you back up and hold you up till you can stand again.....now as far as the fast you may be looking at it from a twisted view haha....sorry about the wording lol....anyways fasting is ment to cleanse the body and allow your digestie system a rest to repair....it is usually done when one feels they really need it....you will know when you are ready...you won't feel hunger or a need to eat....and you just go with it...if you only feel like 3 days then fine...any rest on your digestive system when it is saying please don't feed me is a good thing....and maybe it won't be until you are raw 100% for a while and almost all detoxed when your body says hey i need a rest.....so don't be hard on yourself and don't discourage your self i feel like you are doing an amazing job and are a wonderful person....
i know what you mean about being your own worse enemy i am....i have more critics of myself in my head then i will ever know on earth you know?? i mean everything i do is what will people think...i have been working on that...not caring....like going to dance class...girl i know you will be great...and i am sure you will thrive...it is hard to just get there...i love dance and i am very self conscious about my body...so i am always focused on the mirror and think others are staring at my body through all those mirrors and not their own...but then one day i was talking to someone in my jazz class and said man i was doing horrible tripping every two seconds....and she was like really i didn't notice sorry girl...and she was standing next to me...so you see that shows me they are focused on how well they are doing not us smiling smiley so go in there and shake it baby!!!!
good luck with everything and keep us posted...hey btw i sent you a pm so check your box hun...
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables