Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
Back to the Basics- The Start of My Raw Food Life
Posted by: meow ()
Date: April 15, 2007 01:26AM

Hi everyone! I am brand new to the forum and pretty new to raw foodism. It's been a long time coming though. You know how when you're ready for a big life change, it just feels right? That is how I'm feeling now about going raw. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later- I've gone from SAD to vegetarian, vegetarian to vegan, and now I hope to go from vegan to raw food vegan. I am very excited about this! I've been eating 75% raw or more for a couple days now, and already I'm seeing some amazing things like...

-Clear, radiant skin
-Sleeping MUCH better at night- I'd been having trouble sleeping beforehand
-TONS of energy
-Generally feeling more positive and happy
-Not as hungry as usual (even though I'm probably eating less)
-Food tastes better and I savor it more

I'd been eating a relatively clean diet before starting the raw diet, but I still got headaches and felt nauseaous for about 3 days after going 75%+ raw. Now I'm feeling great though!

Here's what I had today:

breakfast: chocolate coconut lara bar, banana
snack: serving of raw cashews, pineapple
lunch: made a delicious salad- seriously the best salad I think I've ever had!- with romaine lettuce, red and yellow peppers, carrots, corn, red onions, zucchini, a sprinkling of black beans, a tofu veggie burger, and sundried tomato dressing. the beans/veggie burger were my non-raw foods for the day, I'm still weaning myself off of cooked foods and using up what I'd bought before deciding to go raw.
snack: carrots dipped in hummus, dried mango slices
dinner: not very hungry, I'll probably wait a bit and have some raw broccoli and cauliflower with hummus
snack: may have another apple or banana if hungry later on

I had SO much energy after lunch, I decided to go hiking in the mountains. It was beautiful. I live in Los Angeles and there's a great park in the mountains near the Hollywood sign. It's very hilly- my legs will be sore tomorrow!- but it's nice to get out of the city environment and into nature for a little while!

Hmm I should probably post a little about myself! I'm 21, I moved across the country almost 3 months ago to live in LA, I have 3 wonderfully amazing rescue cats, I'm really into animal rights, I love sunshine, running, stopping to pet dogs on the street...

ok I'm starting to feel like I'm writing a personal ad! But that's me in a nutshell smiling smiley

I hope to eat about 90% raw tomorrow. I feel great right now and I'm actually surprised that I'm not really hungry- I'm pretty active with running/working out, but raw foods seem to sustain my lifestyle just fine.

I look forward to getting to know other raw foodists and supporting each other in our journeys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Back to the Basics- The Start of My Raw Food Life
Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 15, 2007 01:34AM

ahaha i luv yor name!grinning smiley
where did u move from?
everybody on here is frum LA!!! lol youll find tons of ppl who eat raw near u on here
o man yor food looks really good, larabars r the best :] and chocolate yummmers :p
no yor diary dosent sound like a personal add haha
hmm so did u transition from veggie, 2 vegan, 2 rawfoods really fast?
ur doing really good!u saw all those improvements in a couple of days woah!
im jealous lol
good luck :]

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 15, 2007 02:14AM

hey there i am walking out the door but just wanted to welcome you to the forum and say congrats on choosing to go raw..this is an amazing journey you will love!!! i will post more later..have a great day
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Date: April 15, 2007 08:11AM

hey there hun...well sorry i wrote so short earlier...i was out the door to the movies haha...welll again welcome to the forum and congrats on going raw...that is amazing you moved out here..where from??? i am from indiana i moved out here about 5 years ago on my own with no one out here or with me...it was an amazing journey that i have had...i live in san diego!!! and i love finding the fun nature filled things to do around here.....i love dogs and puppies they are soo sweet...i have 2 wonderful baby turtles that i love more then life haha.....hmm that is about it oh yeah i am 22 jsut turned on january29th....i am 100% raw and have been since january 24th...went cold turkey haha just jumped right into it..have a lot of health challenges i am overcoming so that is one of the main reasons to go raw....i look forward to helping and hearing your raw journey!!!!
good luck and take care
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxo
btw my journal is under my real name that i used the first couple months i was on here....the title is raw journey to health and sanity haha....smiling smiley
in case you look for it to read through my experieence or journey so far!!
smiling smiley

Posted by: noff ()
Date: April 15, 2007 08:45AM

Good title for your post, getting back to the basics is a credo i can live by! So LA eh? I'm moving there in the fall and it's quite the little raw food capital of the US. haha well sounds like your transition is going very smmoothly, good to hear! I tried going raw overnight and it didn't work out well. So after trying to go 100% raw for a few frustrating weeks I'm much more comfortable with it. Hey so by the time I move to LA maybe you'll have discovered some good raw secrets and hot spots to share! haha yay! have you heard of "sexy bitches"? Check em out on youtube, i think they are in la or close to it...they were at the santa monica farmers market for an episode...which btw is you find yourself there you gotta get a wheatgrass shot from the guy who also sells sprouts! haha vague but it was so good i gotta tell you about it. have a good day. ruff! haha my response to the meow...heehe

Date: April 15, 2007 09:52PM

hey there.....oh yeah speaking of the farmers markets...if you are craving some raw gourmet check out peace pies at the farmers market...they hve the most divine pies of the world...and tons of people were getting them even though they were sad eaters haha....and they also had some tomato pizza an hummus pizza all raw of course!!! so that is another tip for the la living haha...i have a list of wonderful places in la to hit up for the raw scene for you gals!! just let me know..have a fabulous day..hope alli s well with you today!
take care
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxox

Posted by: Monark ()
Date: April 15, 2007 10:01PM

Welcome Meow - I used to live out in the LA area, I remember hiking the hills! Beautiful! Head up north when you get a chance to visit the mountains smiling smiley I miss the mountains !! There seems to be a very large vegan/raw community out west ! Enjoy!

I have 2 feline furbabies.

I've been raw for 10 days now and I'm loving it ! Congrats to you for making the change!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read the fre*e e-book :
101 Ways to Change the World for Animals
[www.mypowermall.com]
Own your own Power Mall, over 1000 stores - completely FRE*E
Receive rebates on items you already buy anyway....
[www.mypowermall.com]

Date: April 15, 2007 10:02PM

oh hey btw there is also a great raw community in oc if you are near there as well!!!
just some thought....
love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxoxox

Date: April 15, 2007 11:15PM

wow, thanks so much for all the support! it feels really great to have others who have gone through this and are thriving on raw foods. really, everyone on this forum seems positive and absolutely vibrant, which is pretty amazing.

it's cool to see so many people in SoCal as well! i've gotten a lot of support from my friends so far- i think people in this area really embrace veganism and raw foodism more so than they did on the east coast.

fuzzysox (cute name btw!)- i guess i made the transition from veggie to vegan to raw pretty quickly. i went vegetarian about 2 years ago, then began transitioning to veganism about a year and a half ago. it took me about 6 months to fully "get there" but i've been 100% vegan for a little over a year now and could never look back. it's strange though, i thought i was being so healthy with my vegan diet, but i think raw foodism is 100 times healthier if done correctly. just the difference that i feel going from vegan to raw is amazing. i don't think i had many toxins in my system, which is why i'm seeing results so quickly!

oh, and i moved here from boston/vermont- went to school in boston, family has lived in vermont for about 6 years now and i went to h.s. there for 3 years, and moved back home to work for 6 mos. before moving to LA.

earthangel- thank you for the warm welcome! so you are like me- we both took a big chance and moved away from everything we knew! it's very freeing to be able to do that, and to know you made it on your own. i really want to take a road trip to san diego this summer- i've never been there (or anywhere else on the west coast!) but it sounds beautiful! and raw hummus pizza...mmm sounds amazing!

noff- ooh exciting, where are you moving from? i really love LA, there are tons of vegan/organic cafes, and people are generally more supportive of and willing to try alternative lifestyles like raw food veganism. there's also a great underground scene here, very cool! i've never heard of the sexy bitches but i'll check them out! also i can't wait to go to the farmer's market in santa monica! my best friend is into that stuff as well, we're planning on going soon.

monark- wow, so many LA people! yeah, i love hiking in griffith park and getting away from the city. the mountains sound beautiful, too! i love how there is so much to do here, there's really something for everyone. congrats on being 10 days raw! i can't wait to get there smiling smiley

i think i replied to everyone! again thanks for the welcome, i feel so loved already! hehe.

today was GREAT!!! i am feeling so happy, so energetic, so buzzing with life! here is my day:

breakfast: banana, organic food bar (the protein flavor-80% raw and super delicious)
snack: apple, 4 raw almonds to hold me over til...
lunch: 24 oz. all-fruit smoothie from jamba juice, i am assuming this is raw, right? it's made of fruit and 100% fruit juice. i got the new peach perfection smoothie w/ a matcha green tea boost and a vita boost, i felt SO full after this but a good full, really energetic and vibrant!

then my best friend and i walked around the reservoir in silver lake for a while and chilled out.

snack when i got home: baby carrots w/ hummus, about 3/4 c. pineapple
dinner: will be a huge salad, same as yesterday w/o the beans and tofu burger- romaine lettuce, red and yellow peppers, corn, carrots, red onions, zucchini, tomatoes, raw sunflower seeds, light sundried tomato dressing yummmm

so, the only non-raw thing is the salad dressing, as far as i can tell. i feel really great about that.

i picked up some fresh-squeezed, unpasteurized OJ to take to work tomorrow, and i plan on having a salad w/ the above veggies and sunflower seeds for lunch. i'll probably have a lara bar and a banana for breakfast again- i tend to do well eating my largest meal in the morning. not sure what dinner will be, maybe veggies and hummus. i want to ease into eating mostly fruits and veggies, but i know it'll be tough since i tend to crave raw almonds and the like when i get really hungry. fruits and veggies can also be pricey when you're getting all organic! but i'll try my very best!

i am just really thrilled that i found this way of living/eating, and i feel like i'm unlocking the secret to how to REALLY get the most out of life. i love it! thank you to all of you for being part of my adventure!

Date: April 15, 2007 11:36PM

hey there darlin....your welcome and wow you sound like you are doing great!!!.....mmh i love jamba juice....before going raw and now after going raw there is only a few things you can have there....even their all fruit and fruit juice smoothies aren't raw...cuz they use the fruit juice from concentrate that is cooked.....but if you want something yummy you can get fresh squeezed orange juice with banana's or a whole fruit added in there...or fresh squeezed carrot juice..and the wheatgrass is raw...none of the boosts are raw or the matcha green tea either....but you can get the oj or carrot juice or wheatgras...haha sorry to narrow it down so much but just wante to help ya since you asked so you didn't get used to it then have to switch you know???? also the hummus unless you are buying it saying raw or making it yourself with all raw ingredients is totally cooked!!! so you gotta be careful with that too!!! oh and the bar you had what kind is it?? that is awesome it is 80% raw.....there are also a few all raw ones too...i see you know about the larabars..and also think organic is all raw.....they have cashew pieces and cherry nut....and some other one too haha .....hmm but other then that and the salad dressing you are all raw that is aweome..!!! keep up the good work...i look forward to seeing you progress.....good lukc and have a great day!
love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: April 16, 2007 01:15AM

hey earthangel, thank you so much for clarifying all that for me! so i guess i'm not as raw as i'd like to be, huh? but it is so helpful to have you point that out, and now i can make an effort to be more raw.

where can i buy hummus that is raw? mine is from trader joe's and it doesn't say that it is raw sad smiley i want to make my own eventually, but i just started a new job and have no $$ for a food processor. my friend is giving me a blender, will that work? i also REALLY want to buy a juicer but again, i have to wait til i get my next paycheck.

the bar i had is called "organic food bar"- it's really good, and they have a couple options that are 100% raw. they are mostly made of almond butter, dates, brown rice protein, flax..lots of healthy stuff! they taste amazing, and they have a good amount of protein. there are lots of varieties too- i like the protein and vegan ones best (they're all vegan, but the "vegan" variety is like vegan superfood apparently).

i am really excited b/c i found a new "recipe" i want to try tomorrow night- stuffed bell peppers. i'm going to stuff a red pepper w/ carrots, corn, sprouts zucchini, onions and tomatoes and hummus (sadly not raw) OR maybe avocado if i make it to the grocery. yummy!

ok gotta go feed the cats and make my salad nowsmiling smiley

Date: April 16, 2007 03:55AM

hey there..no problem i find it helpful for others to help me when i am not sure if something is raw or not that way i don't eat it and think it is raw only to have to transistion even more later after you think you have it down haha...but anyways i have yet to find a place to buy hummus raw but some say you can find it....there is a little vegan produce place that makes raw hummus sometimes here...hmm well i am not surei think the blender can work as long as you get it to chop all the way without having to add water that is the only thing.....you can get those little mini food processors for like 10 or 20 bucks at target or wal mart if you want...they work just as well...that is what i use.....hmm i just made some awesome zucchini hummsu....i used a zucchini instead of garbanzo it is alittle more juicy but not watery it is still a solid haha...it is really yummy and doesn't have much kcals but antoher plus is that it isn't as expensive as buying garbanzo beans and you don't have to soak anything smiling smiley.....so that is a def plus haha....anyways...you are doing awesome!!! keep up the great work.. avocado mmmm that sounds good in there too!!!!
well good luck hun!
love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: April 17, 2007 03:59AM

hey earthangel! awesome pic, that's so cute. thanks for all your advice and input, it is sooooo helpful to me! i didn't know i could get a food processor for so cheap. i'll look for one in target as soon as i get my next paycheck, which will be next friday. i found sprouted garbanzo beans @ whole foods today and bought some to toss in salads and whatnot. this will be great to make hummus with b/c i won't have to do as much work! hehe, i'm lazy.

today went really well! as far as i can tell (and correct me if i'm wrong!) i ate 92% raw smiling smiley woohoo! it was EASY and delicious! i was craving apples and bananas and carrots all day...mmm. here's what i had:

-1 c. fresh-squeezed OJ- not pasteurized, not from concentrate- raw, right?- 1 banana, and 1/2 a chocolate coconut lara bar
-1 c. of the aforementioned OJ, 1/2 serving of raw almonds/cashews with dried cranberries
-salad w/ romaine lettuce, carrots, corn, red and green peppers, raw sunflower seeds, no-oil sundried tomato dressing (not my dressing- i like my oil, thank you very much! it came w/ the salad, to which i added my own raw sunflower seeds) (i know the dressing isn't raw!)
-banana, baby carrots dipped in hummus (again, hummus isn't raw- tried to limit it as best i could!)
-1/2 red bell pepper stuffed w/ tomatoes, carrots, corn, zucchini, red onion, a couple sprouted garbanzo beans, and 1/4 of an avocado...this tasted really bland and i wanted to put salsa on it but my salsa went bad! so i added hummus so i could make it edible. oh well...so it wasn't totally raw, but pretty close!
-literally 2 bites of a lara bar to get that avocado taste out of my mouth- are they supposed to be so bland and un-yummy??- and an apple

that's all, folks! i also had a great 3 mile tempo run, and will hopefully do some abs pilates moves in a few minutes...

the more i eat raw, the more i want to listen to led zeppelin. strange, huh?

i am really sad about everything that happened today. not even sad...more like i've just kind of given up on this country. what is wrong w/ america, that we are a wealthy country, we have our basic needs met (for the most part- i know there is a lot of poverty but in comparison we are all very lucky), we are "free" (ok this is a joke but again, in comparison) and yet we have so much violent crime, so many depressed people on happy pills, so much suicide, so much anger and hate? what is wrong with us, as a whole? is it the stress of our overly-busy lives? or maybe the toxins we are putting into our bodies in the way of chemically-treated, processed foods and western medicine? it seems like stuff builds up inside of people and then they just erupt with so much hate. there is something wrong w/ our system, our ways of living, b/c we keep producing people that live only to destroy themselves and others.

that's my rant for the day. it's useless b/c i can't do anything about it. all talk, no action, right? but maybe my way of life is a step in the right direction. "peaceful vegan"- i like the way that sounds. i feel like we need a revolution, a la the 60s. we have all these misguided, directionless young people with nothing to turn to. a lot of the same things are going on now as far as world issues, politics, etc...and yet, i don't know if we care enough to get together and do something about it with enough force to actually make a difference. isn't that strange? i want to know why we are so apathetic.

at any rate, i'm going for 98% raw tomorrow! yay! wish me luck smiling smiley

Date: April 17, 2007 04:36AM

hey there..yay you and your raw journey...you are doing amazing !!! keep it up hun...so happy for you...hmm my boss bought an awesome hummus i wanted so bad to try today haha sundried tomato and basil ahha i think i will get some tomato and basil and make my own...that is a good idea huh??? well i had a long day and some depressing news so i am beat haha...yeah the world is horrible sometimes...i don't know what the problem is...that whole virginia tech things is such a shame huh? oh it breaks my heart
well take care hun and many good vibes and iwshes for tomorrow..i know you will do amazing!
love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxoxoxxo

Date: April 17, 2007 06:28AM

Hey yeah i agree with you on the state of our country. The vast majority doesn't seem genuinely interested in leading a peaceful and loving life...doctors push pills on people who reach out for help instead of addressing any realy problem which only leads to bigger problems. It really does seem like no one cares enough to do anything about it, maybe that just means that it's going to take something really big to stimulate retaliation...hm, focusing on the positive is the solution i think, it generates more positive by doing that, grinning smiley It's great to hear you're doing to well with upping your rawness, have another peaceful day!

Date: April 17, 2007 06:50AM

aww good point noff i didn't even look at the medical aspect of this country that is a whole nother bomb in itself smiling smiley....this country is out of control...we all just need to find peace and love and harmony in one another and get along and help one another in our natural state...why can't this be more like the old days...like they say oldies but the goodies smiling smiley
keep on keepin on
love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Date: April 17, 2007 09:05PM

hello hellow my fellow raw friends smiling smiley

so far today has been 100% raw. i love it. i feel kinda yucky though- just sleepy and sort of down. maybe detox, maybe the state of our world...probably both. i'm going to rest up tonight, no workout for me! i LOVE my non-workout days, i get to be lazy and cuddle with my cats.

earthangel, i bet you can make raw tomato basil hummus that tastes even better! raw foods seem to taste better than cooked, you know? i want to try that once i get my food processor! let me know if you do make it.

noff, you are right, we have to try to stay positive. instead of just resigning ourselves to our situations, we have to think positively of how we can improve the world around us. i strongly beleive that when you put positive energy out there, you will get it back, and when you put out negative energy, you'll get bad vibes back. thanks for reminding me of this smiling smiley even if it's just smiling at someone when they walk in the elevator with you- who knows, maybe they had a horrible day and they really need a smile. we tend to be so closed off to others, and lack a sense of community (at least i think so). maybe that adds to people feeling isolated and becoming violent.

anyway i'm at work, i'll update later with my raw goodies for the day! suffice it to say i've already eaten more fruit today than most people eat in a week...i love it!

Date: April 18, 2007 02:58AM

haha hey there....well don't worry on here you are joined with many people who can easily eat boxes of fruits a day...it is crazy awesome though!!!

well i didn't make the tomato basil hummus but i do put basil in my hummus when i make it and it is yummy...i will get some tomatos and try that too!! ia m sure it is going to be yummy....yay you for getting a food processor...or saving for it...they are awesome for fun things.....
well keep up the good work
love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxxoxo

Date: April 18, 2007 04:04AM

hi again earthangel! i can't wait to get a food processor...i ate regular hummus again today and i kept thinking how much better ill feel when i can make my own raw hummus.

today was not so great. i am super stressed out and i felt like i was messing things up at work all day. i have some major $$ problems right now (i have $10 in my bank account and i have to register my car and get my CA license next week, i'm already late so i'll have to pay late fees unless i can lie and/or charm my way out of it winking smiley but it's just bad timing!) i was SOOOOO hungry all day, to the point where i got dizzy and was afraid i was going to faint a couple times. detox maybe? so when i came home i ate some cooked food along with my raw salad dinner. then i was trying to find all the info i need for my car registration and license test, and i got so stressed out, i ate a clif z-bar. i never really thought of myself as a stress eater but i'm finding more and more that i do eat emotionally sometimes. i have realized that i crave peanut butter like mad when i'm stressed- usually i have it around and just go for the jar w/o thinking about it, but not having it here has forced me to think about why i want it so badly, and it's b/c i'm stressed and want to avoid dealing with the situation! that's not good, but at least i'm aware of it and can begin to break the habit.

that said, i feel like crap (even more) after eating some cooked food. i REALLY REALY REALLY want to follow the 811 diet, i want to go to barnes & noble this weekend and read the book and take notes since i have no $$ to buy it! lol. i know i need to stop eating cooked food if i want to stop craving it. anyway, here's what i had today, maybe someone can tell me why i was so hungry all day??

-fruit salad w/ pineapple, watermelon, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, a blackberry (no, not the pda...and yes just one! weird i know!), a bit of cantaloupe and honeydew melon...and a little less than 1/2 a lara bar- the fruit salad was the most delicious thing i ate all day. it was way too expensive to buy regularly though, but i want to make my own this weekend and save it for the week to take to work, etc.
-was STARVING and shakey at work, had an apple, a banana, and 1/2 a serving of raw almonds/cashews with a handful of dried cranberries throughout the early afternoon
-very late lunch- banana and organic food bar
-after work- dizzy again, had an apple, then came home and ripped open the bag of baby carrots and had them w/ some hummus
-for dinner i made a gigantic salad w/ romaine lettuce, red and yellow peppers, carrots, corn, red onion, zucchini, tomatoes, a tofu-veggie burger, and light sundried tomato dressing. i was ok w/ eating the tofu veggie burger b/c it was the last one and i didn't want it to go bad, plus i felt weak still.
-BUT then i was very bad and had that damn clif z-bar after getting really worried and stressed about my car troubles...

so i am only at maybe 65% raw.

which is bad, but looking at it positively, there is nowhere to go but up.

i will remember how crappy i feel so that when i'm tempted by cooked food, i can say "no way, jose!" b/c i want to feel clean and light and glowing and RAW!

i need to get this cooked food out of my house...i don't want to waste it. i have a bunch of luna bars that i will maybe give to a friend or take to work. aside from that, i just have the hummus, which i'm fine with eating every other day or so til i get a food processor, and a package of tofu, which i have another month or so to open before it goes bad. oh and soy milk...may take that to work, too, if my boss will drink it. i'll probably drink a little, i feel really bad wasting stuff i spent money on.

tomorrow i plan on having:

-the rest of the cantaloupe and honeydew melon for breakfast, with a banana
-will have another banana for a snack at work- they stock the pantry for us and i always get bananas when i do the grocery shopping smiling smiley if i need more, i can have another apple
-lunch will be more fruit- either an orange, or fruit salad if i make it to TJ's- and maybe a raw food bar (lara bar or organic food bar) if needed
-another snack will be raisins w/ 10 almonds or so
-dinner will be baby carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower w/ 2 T hummus
-if i need a snack afterwards, i have oranges, raisins, dried mango, and dried cranberries to pick from or mix/match...yummy

we'll see how this goes. it scares me b/c i've always been told i need grains and protein, but i really don't think that is true! there is enough fat in there w/ the almonds and the lara/organic food bar...i really want to start transitioning to 80-10-10, so i have to try it out!

Posted by: Monark ()
Date: April 18, 2007 04:58AM

Hey there meow - I think the shakiness and hunger you are feeling is from all the fruit - it's high in sugar and passes through your system quickly - try to get more veggies in there - I eat mostly veggies and maybe 3 or 4 fruits a day - and I am not having any problem at all with hunger.

I start my day with a smoothie that has fruit, veggies (sprouts), nuts and seeds in it - then my next 2 meals are all veggies (today, for example, I had spinach dip with cucumber and red & green pepper sticks, and a large salad) - my last meal is a green juice (all veggies) that has a little bit of apple juice in it to make it taste a little better. No hunger at all .

Hang in there !!

Read the fre*e e-book :
101 Ways to Change the World for Animals
[www.mypowermall.com]
Own your own Power Mall, over 1000 stores - completely FRE*E
Receive rebates on items you already buy anyway....
[www.mypowermall.com]

Date: April 18, 2007 06:27AM

Hey there girl.....welll monark makes a good point...but i think the veggies might not be what is holding her over...she has a fat with each meal i see from what she posted and that will hold you over and keep you full as well...like the nuts and avo and stuff....so that is something to look into too!! but eat more fruits if that is what you are eating...just a bigger quanity...it is hard at first to relize that you aren't eating many kcals and your body was warning you for food.....eat a few apples or a few oranges or bananas.....if you look at some diets on the main forum you will see that most raw foodies eat like 15 oranges and 10 banans a day or 15 bananas a head of spinach and a couple pints of tomatos....so you gotta watch the amount and keep it higher.......

good luck and have a good night
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

p.s.monark i wasn't being mean...i think it is awesome you do so wel...i was just thinking that the fats in your meals could be the thing keeping you stable too...cuz fats and proteins make the sugar slwly release through your body....so that might be it smiling smiley
love ea

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: April 19, 2007 03:46AM

hi monark & earthangel, thanks for your suggestions. i do need to add more veggies, huh? when i have salad for lunch it usually holds me over longer. it's just so easy to grab fruit instead of making a salad, and i don't want to spend money to buy a salad...actually, i do have a gift card for trader joe's, so maybe i'll buy a salad there tomorrow smiling smiley

earthangel (and anyone else), do you think it's a good thing that i have fat at each meal or a bad thing? i've heard that food combining is bad but i don't really know why...i've always thought it was good to have some fat, protein and carbs at each meal, but maybe that is a mainstream thought and doesn't apply to raw foodists.

today was a lot better. i felt more energetic and wasn't as hungry or shakey at all. i ate so much fruit today...kind of crazy! i did have a cooked meal for dinner but i don't feel bad about it. i'm at about 78% raw, which is better than yesterday, and that's all i wanted. i want to make tomorrow better than today, etc. etc.

so today's food:

for breakfast i had a banana, an apple and a lara bar- this held me over for a while and had enough calories to get me through the morning
had a banana for a snack
lunch was sooo yummy- mixed berry fruit salad with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries, plus yet another banana- i got so full and could only eat half the fruit salad, but that means i have the rest for tomorrow smiling smiley
had 12 raw almonds and some dried cranberries later at work
then i had baby carrots w/ hummus and 1/2 serving of raw cashews when i got home
walked in the hills for 50 minutes
dinner was a serving of amy's black bean chili w/ a slice of veggie cheese
then i wanted something sweet, so i asked myself what i was craving, and it was an apple smiling smiley third apple of the day...plus maybe 5 raw cashews

i feel pretty good today. i've lost a little weight for sure, which is always nice. i'm 110 lbs. though so i don't want to lose much more (i'm 5'3 so i'm not underweight or anything). anything more than 10 pounds lost would probably look scary. but i'll just keep doing what i'm doing for now.

i want to eat at least 90% raw tomorrow.

Date: April 19, 2007 04:10AM

hi there hun....awesome day today!!!! good for you!!! you are doing so great i applaud you.......well personally i don't think you NEEd more veggies if you add more fruit...just need more FOOD haha...that way you are kept full and happy....i just think you need to make sure you eat enough to keep up your body and daily activities...food combining is a good thing...but you have to make sure you know what combines and what doesn't...fat mixes well with veggies!! so a salad with avo is good...or nuts and thing...fruit and fats don't mix so stick with fruit only ....the motto is eat fruit alone or leave it alone!!!!! some people suggest fruit till noon then add your salads and veggies and what not.....so that is something to ponder smiling smiley
but at any rate you are doing so awesome keep it up!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: shellydj75 ()
Date: April 19, 2007 04:24AM

I too am trying to find a way around the shakes and dizzy spells. Today I had less fruit and was more shakey and out of it, though I think I am just withdrawling from refined sugars and stuff.

Though yesterday I had 1 cantaloupe and 1 baby watermelon...much more fruit than I had today and felt great.

So I am increasing my morning fruit tomorrow, though will start with a veggie drink that I will juice.

I use to live in Irive, CA... now I am in Tennessee....they FRY EVERYTHING HERE. A fry daddy (deep oil fryer) is the easiest thing to find around these parts (Laughs) so I am alone in the raw thing.

I feel ya on CA car registration... I was glad to get back to the basic once a year fee with no late charges.

Once ya get money.. go to costco and get a lot of fruit and spinach, kale, veggies. That is what I did... I went home and quickly cleaned, cut, and stored them so they would last and be ready to grab in the morning. I placed small holes in my zip lock bags so the greens and other veggies and sprout would stay crisp.

It is really sad that it is more expensive to eat fresh untained items from the earth rather than all that other processed junk... and people wonder why are country is unhealthy..... In college raman noodles and RC white cheap beer could keep me going for weeks. The cost of those three items = good olive oil!! hee heee

Anyhow, I enjoy your post, thanks for sharing.

Shell

Date: April 19, 2007 04:27AM

haha that is sooo true all the cheap things you can buy to equal a honeydew melon haah..it is crazy....but so worth it!!!
haha tenessee has some raw look up on the meetup site and post in the main foruM!!!
love earth angel
xxoxoxoxoxoxo
sory meow to use your diary haha

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: April 19, 2007 06:27AM

yeah about the fat at every meal, fruits and fats require different enzymes to digest and when there is sugar and fat in the stomach at the same time nothing it puts a stress on your body. You are doing great! I'm still trying to avoid eating fruit and fat together, i don't think I could ever fully apply that to my diet. no fig/almond pie crust!? you crazy!/ haha I'm pinched for money too, I want to go out and forage for some greens some time! It would be such a satisfying experience! have fun living it up raw

Date: April 19, 2007 07:14AM

hey there.....about the fat and fruit together...what happens is that fruit is a quick exit food...takes about 30 minutes to empty from the stomach and fats take a lot longer...so when you eat fat before you eat fruits or with a fruit then your fruit gets stuck in the stomach as well and it ferments causing acid and gas and yucky rotting fruit basically...so it will make you bloated and feeling yucky...BUT dried fruits and fats can be added...that is a whole other thing.....dried fruits aren't catorgorized as whole fresh fruit....they don't digest as fast or as easy on teh body...they take longer and are high concentrate in sugars...so they are okay to mix with fat...which then you can have the pie crust noff smiling smiley.....so fresh fruit is always bes...but dried fruits are better then cooked...so that is a little tip smiling smiley
take care
love eartha ngel
xoxoxoxoxoxoxxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: April 20, 2007 02:13AM

hello everyone! i'm glad to have so many knowledgeable people to get advice from. what you all said a/b not combining fresh fruit w/ fat really makes sense, and i will try my best to apply it. i wonder if lara bars count as fresh or dried fruit? i really like to have one of those every day just to get in some calories, plus they taste great and make an easy meal or addition to a meal.

anyway...i made a huge mistake today. i was so cold i was chattering- ever since i've been eating mostly raw, i've been freezing, like, to-the-bone cold. i've been layering up, but ran out of layers for work today and i couldn't wear my sweatshirt b/c my boss was having meetings all day in our glass-walled conference room, lol. so i figured i'd have a sandwich and see if it helped, b/c i couldn't take the cold anymore! i ate a pb&j sandwich, and while i was warmer for the rest of the day, it made me realize that i can't eat stuff like that anymore. i feel bloated, nauseous, sleepy and full and it's been 5 1/2 hours since i ate it. i feel really guilty. i didn't even need it, i was just too lazy to go out to the store and pick up a salad, and i was so cold i thought it'd be worth it if it made me warm. but now i know i'd rather be cold!

i just had some raw broccoli and cauliflower for dinner, but i feel so sick that i couldn't eat much of it. sadly i'm probably only 65% raw today. i feel like i need to just suck it up and go 95-100%. i don't want to abuse my body by putting food into it that just makes me feel like garbage!

i have a feeling it wont be hard for me to say no to cooked foods from now on...

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: April 20, 2007 02:19AM

I am always FREEZING too - where do you live\?
I live in Toronto canada....

So nice to have the weather warming up - MUCH easier to be raw in summer!

Date: April 20, 2007 06:28AM

hey there hun...don't beat yourself up over it or stress.....yeah it is hard cuz you get cold easier but it is worth it like you say!! but hey you ate some pb and j....well tomorrow is a new day and you will do great...

oh and lara bars are made with dried fruits so nope...they arein a nother category....so enjoy them...take care of you and don't worry about today..you have tomorrow

love earth angel
xoxoxoxoxxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Pages: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables