Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Guess tis my turn to make one of these. lol
Posted by: Howlingmoon ()
Date: May 11, 2007 06:52PM

Hi, y'll. I've been mostly reading the forums without posting much. I'm still new to all tis raw/living foods stuff.

I'm 26, married (just over 5 years), no kids. I live in NW Arkansas. I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) in late 2004. I've been overweight for as long as I can remember, and finally became tired of it, and being tired all the time. I had a mountain bike accident in January of 2001 which messed up my knees and back. I delt with the pain and still worked for almost two years. Then I lost my job, and haven't worked since. That was about four and half years ago.

Anyway, I've been mostly raw for two weeks tomorrow. My first week, I lost 4.2lbs, even though I cheated and ate some cooked here and there. My second week, I lost 4.6lbs. My goal tis to lose about 120lbs total in however long it takes me. I figured if I can lose 4 lbs a week, it'll take me 7-8 months to get there but, I'll be happy to get to my goal whenever it happens.

So far today, I've had an apple at 1030am. Then I had an apple/pineapple/strawberry juice at 1pm. Mmmm, it was good.

Tomorrow night, I'm going to my first raw potluck. I'm looking forward to it but, at the same time I'm not. I'm a very shy person, and don' usually like being in crowds of strangers.

Anyway, I guess that's it for my first "diary" post. Questions, advice, support, whatever are welcome. = )

Howlingmoon "Moonie" Wolvespirit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guess tis my turn to make one of these. lol
Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: May 11, 2007 08:28PM

Hi Dear Howlingmoon--

Welcome! You're doing the right thing! Just wanted to welcome you and wish you well. Right now, I would suggest you do a lot of reading. Books and books, with an open mind. There are a lot of conflicting ideas around, but you must start somewhere...see what appeals to you now and start out. Keep reading---if you can't get books right now there is so much online. So many sites that you will find interesting, which will have more links to more sites.

Am glad you are here, looking forward to hearing how it goes. You can also post questions on the discussion thread.

Do go to the potluck tomorrow! Probably not a group of people even a shy person need feel shy around for long! You will taste different foods all raw, you can talk to people, get ideas, get reccommendations for books and websites...they will be able to steer you in lots of directions smiling smiley GO! smiling smiley

Raw live food is our biologically appropriate diet. And the only way to overcome disease is to feed our body its real needs and let it do its own healing.

Enjoy your food. One little tip, seemingly obvious but sometimes not abided by---eat what you really enjoy, what you find deliciously palatable. Find more of these food items. So, for ex---you eat a salad with romaine because you like the taste of romaine, and you don't force yourself to eat kale or endive or dandelion greens just because everyone else does and you think you need to in order to be raw and healthy. And, your tastes will change and evolve -- but, I suggest to simply Find what you love to eat! And you probably will have a lot of natural foods to try out and make lots of new discoveries!

Later!
---Elakti smiling smiley

Date: May 11, 2007 08:40PM

Thank you for the warm welcome, Elakti. = )

I've been doing a lot of reading over the last 3-4 weeks. In the beginning, I wanted to concentrate mostly on juices, as I have bad teeth, and drinking my food seemed to be the easy way to go. I bought the Juiceman's Power of Juicing and started reading it. I realized later that it wasn't 100% raw, as the two "smoothie" type drink recipes required dried milk. I also received Total Juicing with the juicer (Jack Lalanne's) I order from Walmart.

I've found a couple books at the library but, the libraries around here seem to not carry the books I've seen recommended. I've been trying to find recipes for smoothies, and other kinds of meals that are raw/uncooked (like EarthAngel's zucchinghetti). So far, I've had little to no luck finding any recipe books like these that use raw ingredients in the library or book stores.

And then there's the problem of me being completely clueless when it comes to produce, what's raw or not, and some of the ingredients the recipes I've looked at are asking for. lol Carob powder ? Spiriolina ? Flax seeds ?

~~~~~~

Add one small-ish banana to today's list.

Posted by: Monark ()
Date: May 12, 2007 02:06AM

Welcome Howlingmoon "Moonie" Wolvespirit !!

So glad you are here ! The support on this site is awesome ! Try to find a health food store near you - like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's - feel free to ask lots of questions there ! They will be very happy to help you smiling smiley smiling smiley

I purchased an ebook from www.rawreform.com that is all very simple raw recipes - has everything from smoothies to desserts smiling smiley smiling smiley . There is also a book available there on doing Juice Feasting (nothing but good healthy juices!) .

Eat and explore - it's a wonderful journey !! smiling smiley smiling smiley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read the fre*e e-book :
101 Ways to Change the World for Animals
[www.mypowermall.com]
Own your own Power Mall, over 1000 stores - completely FRE*E
Receive rebates on items you already buy anyway....
[www.mypowermall.com]

Posted by: noff ()
Date: May 12, 2007 02:34AM

ooow oooow ooowooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

hehe welcome howlingmoon
I'm new too, few weeks into it. First of all I think it's awesome you have decided to persue this path, it takes a very determined open minded person. Elakti gave you great great advice, i would have said that same. The only way you will enjoy and succeed being raw is if you eat food that makes you happy and tastes amazing! You will venture out probably enjoy other seemingly bizare foods once your tastes buds change so for now just wat what you truely enjoy and don't worry about calories or whatever. okay so I did basically repeat her..haha oh well. Keep posting, you will attain your goal weight before you know it winking smiley

Date: May 12, 2007 02:43AM

Thank you, Monark and Noff. = )

I have found two great stores that carry organic produce. They don' seem to have some of the things I know I would like, such as grapes and cantaloupe. Maybe they're just not in season. I don' know.

So far, I've decided that I don' like juices containing mostly carrots, or the apple/celery juice I tried the other day. I might try them again some time but, with less carrots or celery to see how it goes. I hate wasting otherwise perfectly good juice and/or produce.

Thank you for the link, Monark. I will definitely check it out. = )

Posted by: thinkingraw ()
Date: May 12, 2007 03:33AM

welcome welcome welcome!!!!

i'm so glad you've gone raw!!! i'm new myself...and i'm trying to learn as much as i can, but like you, the libraries and the bookstores here don't have much to offer (i'm from a tiny town in virginia). but i've ordered a couple books off of amazon.com, so that's always an option. raw really is such a great lifestyle...and it amazes me that i can eat without counting calories or starving and still lose weight. i still eat cooked from time to time, but i'm trying not to get down on myself. i'm trying just to focus on the benefits of raw for my body. anyway. i'm so glad you're here!!!!

btw...i don't like carrot juice either. love carrots, love juice, but definitely not a fan of carrot juice! good job with figuring out what you like though.

and good luck! i'm looking forward to hearing more from you!!!

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 12, 2007 03:38AM

Hi there...congrats on going raw hun..and welcome to the diary section..i think this is just what you need!!!! well you are doing great so far...stickng with it and that is a great accomplishment!!! keep up the good work hun..dont worry about the small stuff and try to take deep breaths and relax smiling smiley you can do this and we are all here for you when you need it...so take a deep breath smile and know you are doing such amazing things for your body right now!!!!
take care and good luck...can't wait to hear about your raw journey!!
love earthangel
xxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: meow ()
Date: May 12, 2007 04:05AM

hi and welcome! i'm glad you found this forum, it's really helpful and there are some very knowledgeable people on here! i'm going in my 3rd week of 75%+ raw, and my 2nd week of 90-100% raw, so i'm a beginner, too. feel free to ask questions and read other journals, you will learn so much!

how are you feeling on raw so far? congrats on the weight loss and the positive changes you've made so far! let us know how the raw potluck goes and what kind of delicious raw treats they had!

xox
meow

Date: May 12, 2007 04:41AM

hey hun....have fun at the potluck...if you need something to take that is simple and easy...get some grapefruits and oranges and peel them and piece them and put ina bowl ....sprinkle some lemon juice on them and it is a beautiful citrus salad!!
good luck
love earthangel
xoxooxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 12, 2007 05:07AM

EA, James said I didn't need to bring anything my first time. Just come and check it out. (I told him how I was low on money atm.) I will keep that in mind for the next potluck though.

Meow, I'm feeling ok. Kinda frustrated some days 'cause I've never been much for any kind of "cooking" or putting together anything that didn't come in a box. I'm clueless when I go to the store to get produce, not knowing what most of that stuff tis. And when I read recipes in some of the books and on some of the websites I've found, I don' know what some of the ingredients are. I've tried looking around, and asking my friends but, I've had little luck so far figuring things out. Think I'll just stick to what I know I like for now (like suggested earlier).

Thinkingraw, I remember once eating only carrots for lunch for a straight week. That was an interesting week, to say the least. I know I like carrots in their whole state but, yeah, the juice just doesn't taste right to me.

Date: May 12, 2007 06:16AM

hey there that is good you don't have to take anything!!! have fun!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 12, 2007 04:05PM

Note to self: grapefruits are nasty. /bleh

More later.

Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: May 12, 2007 06:38PM

Hi again Howlingmoon!

Listen, you have such a great fun advantage! Your saying you don't know what half the produce is, what to do with it----it may seem frustrating to you now, but I smile and think, Oh that lucky gal. How fun! You are going on a big discovery of real food! So many flavors are going to be new. Talk about a FRESH START!

The first time I went raw, I had been in such a cooked, fast food, box, package, junk food diet that it was kind of like that for me. Making varieties of salads, oooohing and ahhhhing while I ate these fresh foods I had neglected, discovering joys of eating fruit, and discovering so many fruits I'd ignored or had never seen before! I remember my first sapote, my first cherimoya. I had never eaten a persimmon! I discovered I love watercress.

I felt like I was a kid just starting to eat for the first time.

Can't wait to hear about the raw potluck.

Elakti

Date: May 12, 2007 08:25PM

Hey hun..hmm youmight like pink or ruby red grapefruit...or is that what you tried?? hope all is well!!
take care
love earthangel
xoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 12, 2007 10:37PM

I think it was pink grapefruit. I suck at describing tastes but, think it was bitter ?

Date: May 12, 2007 11:34PM

yeah they are bitter but with a hint of sweetness ...hmm oh well hey you tried yay you!!
good job
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: thinkingraw ()
Date: May 13, 2007 01:39AM

haha i know what you mean about not knowing what half the things mentioned are...

sprouting things...soaked nuts....kale? cherimoya? dates? tahini? almond milk? whhhhhat???

still, i guess i'm getting somewhere.i've tried tahini and almond milk. i even mashed up a banana with some tahini and some almond milk...it was like pudding! i've never eaten this much fruit in my whole life. fruit is good!

anyway, it's good to try things...even if you don't like them (hopefully you didn't buy a box of grapefruit!). hopefully you'll like the next thing you try a lot more smiling smiley

best of luck tomorrow. hope all is well!!!

Date: May 13, 2007 01:41AM

yes exactly trial and error well put beth!!! i think sticking with things that are more familiar are good too!! like bananas and apples and berries..until you really get the hang of it..when i first started i wanted to try all these exotic things..and i did try a few of them and was very upset to find i didn't like them at all haha
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 13, 2007 01:59AM

I only bought one grapefruit. I told hubby he can have the other half. LOL

Just got back from the potluck. It was...interesting. Don' know what I was expecting. lol There were 15 of us, including me. They had some...interesting...food. LOL Chips or crackers made from all kinds of things. It tasted sweet, like it had honey in it but, when I asked one of the ladies what was in it, she didn't say honey. I can't remember everything. lol Flax seed (still no idea what that tis), cilantro, can't remember what else. She said it was a recipe from Alisa Cohen ? Think I remember seeing that name when I was looking for recipe books.

One of the people there brought a blender and a couple young coconuts. He was making smoothies for us to try. Now I finally have a smoothie recipe I can make every morn' for breakfast! And tis so simple. I just could never figure out what was the "main" parts of the recipe, and what were the ingredients that could be switched out. He said he usually uses a young coconut (showed me how to get into it, withOUT drills I might add! LOL), frozen banana (found out I shouldn't have put my bananas in the freezer before peeling... Oops! ~clueless~), soaked dates, cacao powder and some other chocolate type powder (bleh, forget everything). It was really good.

The rest of the time (2.5 hrs total when people started leaving), everyone introduced themselves and how long they've been raw and all that. Then they talked about the raw almond thing, and how there's tis gormet raw chef in Tulsa who they're going to get in touch with. She makes gormet meals for a week and mails them out across the US. They're gonna find out who in the group wants to try it, and have one person drive to Tulsa to pick the food up, which will save TONS on shipping from what they said.

Oh, and one of the couples has a garden about 400 sq feet, and they said with the recent huge amounts of rain we've had, their garden tis very successful. They brought a bunch of kale (purple or red ? Not sure.), and handed it out to a couple of us who juice regularly. So I got a bag full of free kale! WOOT That really helps right now with me being short on money 'til Thursday.

~~~~~~

Today I've had 2 bananas, took three sips of a pineapple/grapefruit juice, and gave the rest to my Husband, tried some of the food at the potluck (lots of stuff, most of it I have no idea what it was LOL), and think I'm gonna make an apple/kale/cilantro juice before bed.

Date: May 13, 2007 06:12AM

hey there hun...glad you had a good time at the potluck and had fun! good you learned a receipe that works for yoU!!!and free kale that is awesome..i love kale it is awesome..i love it plain rolled into little sticks haah...
well have a good night
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 13, 2007 09:42PM

Just made my first semi-successful smoothie. Of course, me putting the bananas in the freezer the other day before peeling them was a big pita. lol

I used one young thai coconut, a bunch of strawberries and blackberries (juiced), and two frozen bananas. It came out really thick, just the way I wanted it. So that's my morn' breakfast... Oh, wait. Tis almost 5pm. LOL I didn't wake up 'til like 330. It seems like it took me an hour to make it. = ( I hope I'll get better at making them in the future. I want to start having smoothies for breakfast every morn'.

Note to self: find smoothie-friendly glasses/cups/something!

Date: May 13, 2007 10:22PM

Hey hun...well congrats on making your smoothie how exciting!!! you don't have to juice the berries though hun...just throw them in the blender..they will mix up great!!!...they are yummy and you get all the good stuff with the juice like fiber and vitamins in the pulp you are not getting when juiced.......tomorrow it will be even better cuz it won't take as long now!! good job you are doing great!!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Monark ()
Date: May 14, 2007 01:30AM

Ohhh -that smoothie sounds yummy ! I always have frozen bananas on hand now smiling smiley and I just bought strawberries and a thai coconut smiling smiley smiling smiley - hmmmm....I better stop eating all the strawberries so I have some for my smoothie smiling smiley smiling smiley . There is a raw foodie meetup in my area but I haven't joined yet - I may though - sounds like a great way to exchange recipes smiling smiley

Read the fre*e e-book :
101 Ways to Change the World for Animals
[www.mypowermall.com]
Own your own Power Mall, over 1000 stores - completely FRE*E
Receive rebates on items you already buy anyway....
[www.mypowermall.com]

Date: May 14, 2007 06:07AM

Hey hun..hope the rest of your night went well!! take care and talk with you soon!!
love earthangel
always know iam here for ya and supporting you!!!i think you are making amazing prgress and strides!! keep it up!!!
xoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 14, 2007 06:33AM

Well, today wasn't 100% raw but, I'm still "transitioning" I guess. I had the smoothie I mentioned earlier, and then a couple peanut butter (store bought) and blackberry preserve (all natural local farm made) on sprouted 10 grain bread sandwiches. I'm trying to finish off the preserves so tis not a waste. lol Once that's gone, I won't be buying anymore cooked food.

I took a walk to Wal-Mart, which tis across the street but, any amount of walking puts me in severe pain. I decided once I can get enough money to buy a new pair of shoes more suitable to walking, I'll try to take a short walk maybe three times a week to start, and go from there.

I'm really tired, so I think I'm gonna lay down and just end the day here. My sleep schedule got really messed up, since I was up 'til 630am talking to EA. = P And even before that, I just couldn't sleep. Stupid insomnia.

Date: May 14, 2007 07:48AM

Hey there good day..oh well you had a few peanut butter sandwiches you will do better tomorrow!!! strive for better each day and you will get there!!
good luck hun
take care
love earthangel
xoxxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 14, 2007 08:16PM

I made a banana smoothie tis morn'. Very simple: two frozen bananas, one fresh (room temperature) banana, with about 8 ounces of filtered water. It didn't make as much as yesterday's smoothie but, it was good all the same.

Ok, so I decided to try an apple/kiwi juice today. Well, it seems that the apple and kiwi keep seperating in my glass. = ( The kiwi goes to the top, and I can see the apple at the bottom. I also tried to filter the juice as it came out of the juicer 'cause I hadn't pealed the kiwis (organic). Well, that sure didn't seem to work as the filter thing kept getting clogged. I don' know what to do now. = ( Seems I wasted two apples and four kiwis for a juice I can't drink. I hate wasting food, specially when I'm so low on money, and can't just go out and get more.

Date: May 14, 2007 09:10PM

Hey there that is tough..hang in there though you will survive!!! hmm i love kiwis ahah so sour and sweet atthe same time...natures candy i don't what they are called never one for sugar my one of my little gals eats them haha....anyway have a good day !! and keep smiling
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 16, 2007 06:58AM

1 banana smoothie
2 10 ounce glasses of fresh OJ.

Gonna lay down, and try to get rid of tis migraine.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables