Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Newbie here!
Posted by: mags05 ()
Date: June 13, 2007 04:54PM

Hello everyone, i am a newbie. I just started trying eating raw again yesterday. my previous attempt only lasted a couple of weeks i think. I do have several raw books. I have been to multiple drs. in the last 10 years for muscle, joint and digestive problems. For several years they thought i was in early stages of MS. After several years and drs. and multiple MRI's - they now think its hereditary. My youngest daughter has started the same symptoms - she also has had multiple life threatening allergies since birth. She has outgrown a couple of them - thank the Lord. I have always been a somewhat healthy eater, considered strange here in the midwest. Not as healthy as raw though. I do believe in it, but like i stated in Inaia's post, it is hard, especially with family. I really need alot of support. I am doing 80% as of right now. Any suggestios would be appreciated.

Everyone have a wonderful day.

Take care,

mamafrey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie here!
Posted by: Mona ()
Date: June 13, 2007 07:09PM

Welcome, Mamafrey. Glad you're here. Sorry to hear you're struggling with your health. Also sorry to hear about your daughter. Hope she's looking into raw food to help her, too. How old is she?

I truly believe now that there is one cause and one cure. You can explore more of that idea on www.rawfoodexplained.com. It's a great site that teaches along the lines of Natural Hygiene.

I started my raw diet 3 years ago after suffering with graves and ibs. My graves disease symptoms resurface when I eat cooked or eat too many spices like I am right now.

I had to make my health my #1 priority to get well. I also went to multiple doctors and was disappointed in all of them. I stopped going completely because they could not give me a cure, only give me drugs to cover up or remove the symptoms. The last couple of times I went to check my thyroid, it was back to normal. I no longer worry about it as much.

I understand how difficult it is to be raw in a cooked family. My husband doesn't eat a raw diet. He cooks his own food and I prepare the salad. My children are grown and live on their own, which makes it easier. When I visited my daughter, I just prepared a salad for everyone while she cooked the rest of the meal. It took me a while to become strong enough emotionally to stand up for myself. Making my health my top priority helped me.

I wish you all my best. Please feel free to read my diary.

Peace,

Mona

Date: June 13, 2007 09:42PM

Hi Mona, thanks for your reply. Same here, i quit looking for answers from the doctors as of right now, it was getting way to expensive plus I had the last two doctors inform me that they possibly would not find what it is. I truly believe food and the enviroment has alot to do with everything. My daughter is now 13. She is the healthist eater out of all my children. She is allergic to all nuts, fish and like me cannot tolerate red meat. She mainly eats just chicken, pasta and fruits and veggies.

Did you start out 100% raw or did you ease into it? I will read your diary.

As of today for breakfast i had fresh cherries from my tree and fennel tea.

lunch large salad with lemon juice, garlic and olive oil

supper, butternut squash ravioli sauted in balsmic vinegar

and lots of water.

Have a wonderful evening!

Mamafrey

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 14, 2007 02:00AM

Mamafrey,

Comgrats! I'm glad that you're going raw. It's the best way to live. I'm just coming back to my roots as well. I was raw for about 7 months and felt amazing! Then college got me... ANYWAY, we're making a great decision!

Maderaw.

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: June 14, 2007 09:08AM

hey there...welcome to the raw diary section and congrats on going back to the raw journey..it is such an amazing one and you will feel worlds better after a while...and so will your daughter.....
i personally went 100% cold turkey on day one and didn't look back but everyone is different and has their own journey..so you never know..each person is different...
i too am from the mid but have been living in cali for 5 years...moving back to the mid at the end of august..i am looking forward to seeing my family and friends there again more often!!
where abouts are you from??
well my fellow mid farm friend..take care and good luck with your day!! you can do it..i am here for support
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxox
oh ps...if you are looking for my journal it is under my real name which is .sachelle i changed it to earthangel for security stuff with google and my personal diary popping up under the real name smiling smiley
xoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: June 14, 2007 02:37PM

Good morning everyone! So far so good, i need to go to the store to stock up for the weekend. Earthangel i am from indiana. I have lived here all of my life except for my early twenties i lived in Colorado for a short period of time at Steam Boat. The following year i lived in Dillon. The mountains are beautiful but i truly love the corn and bean fields. Were area are u from?

Anyways i have already lost 3lbs. this week. I am so happy for that. I need to lose about 20. Believe me i have tried everything to get this weight off. As soon as i but cerrtain foods in my system i can bloat up to 4 or 5lbs. easy. Alot of foods do not agree with me. Another reason i decided to try this route again. I have juiced for about 10 years and make my own smoothies, so my kids r already use to this. In fact i had juiced fresh apples the other day for my daughters friend. She had never seen this done and loved it. In fact she wanted more. Personnaly i love apple, carrot and ginger together.

I am wondering about sprouting, do i need one of the bigger machines with trays, or can i go with the jar? I noticed some of the recipes call for a 1/2 tray of sprouts! I really didnt want to spend alot of money. Any advice on this would be helpful. I do love sprouts. I use to sprout in a jar several years ago.

HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY!

mamafrey

Date: June 15, 2007 08:53AM

Hey there dear..i too am from indiana..the northern part!! what about you....this is exciting....maybe we will be close in distance when i move back...that is exciting...when i think of the mid i only think of like illinois, ohio and indiana..so i assumed somewhere around there haha....that is awesome though....hmm it's such a small world i think lol....i am helping my roomie look for roomies and met a girl from indiana as well...and her family is friends with mine..she has family in my same SMALL town of like 2000 haha....how random is that??

anyways you are doing really well...keep up the good work...congrats on the weight loss yay you!!!.....

sprouting can be done very simply...i use a bowl and paper towel smiling smiley...i soak the thing i wil be sprouting overnight..then rinse in the morning and use a plastic bowl with holes cut in the bottom or a colander/strainer....and place a wet paper towel down...then throw the sprouts on top and top with another wet towel....put in a dark area and watch them grow smiling smiley rinse 2-3 times a day..for about 2-3 days..and if you are sprouting greens put them in the sun after about 3-4 days for 1-2 days to bring the chlorophyll into the leaves smiling smiley...enjoy...

love earthangel
oxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: June 15, 2007 01:49PM

Thanks earthangel i will try that method of sprouting. I need to get to Lafayette to get the seeds though, that is the closest place to a health food store. Oh by the way private email me and i will tell you what town i live in. I can let you know now its between half way between chicago and indy right off of 65. This is going to be great having a friend close by. How exciting!!!

Well now i have to be honest, guess what - my husband grilled up his fresh pork burgers last night and i had one with tater tots. Gain my 3lbs. back. But this is a new day and i will remember what it did to me and how i felt about it. That seems to make it easier. Its over and done anyways, no need to punish my mind over it all day long. Plus i believe in thinking positive thoughts instead of negative. Granted things arise but like they say - there is only to ways to look at a situation and how to handle it - either positive or negative. And by the way, your post are a joy to read because you are such a positive and insperational person.

Thanks and have a wonderful day. Oh and private email me.

mamafrey

Date: June 15, 2007 08:16PM

Today is a good day. I was busy this morning and had only juice. Large salad again for lunch. Brought out the dehydrator and spiral slicer i bought last year for the very first time. I am attempting to make potatoe chips, cant wait to see how they come out. Had my husband and son helping slice and getting the dehydrator put together. My son just about passed out from the smell of the vinegar. Told my husband, highly doubtful that he will eat the chips now. We'll see.

Went and stocked up on fruits and vegatbles for the weekend, my daughter was embarrased - she thought i looked like i was shopping for the food pantry because i had so much. I cant get to the big city yet to get seeds for sprouting. I love it when i can go to the health food store. We dont have any food markets around my area - the nearest would be Indy. My daughter has the enjoyment of going there. Lucky her! Am going to stock up when i go down the next time to see her. I dont know what whole food market i went to in Taos, NM several years ago, but my was i in heaven. I could have spent the whole weekend there, but my friends and husband ran me out very quickly.

Well gotta go,

mama

Date: June 16, 2007 08:18AM

hey there hun..yay we we will be sorta close..i think you are probably an hour or so from me...from what you are telling me...i dn't know your email..but you can pm me on here...i am exhausted so if not i will pm you later this weekend...
keep up the good work and good for you geting lots of yummie fruits and veggies..keep up the good work!!!
whole foods is AMAZING..we have a few here in san diego..so lovely!!!
well take care and keep up the good work and glad you weren't discouraged by the burger and tots smiling smiley
love earthangel
xoxooxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: June 16, 2007 09:41AM

I went shopping today also. The store is so far away and I havent been use to driveing around all that traffic. I spent way to long in the store and came out with lots of different sprouting seeds. I was surprised at how expensive the seeds were though. I hope to find a wholesaler so I can at least get some of the basic wheat seeds and all.
Have you tries the wheat grass juice? That stuff will make your toes curl.
Have a great weekend and happy eating

Date: June 16, 2007 12:12PM

Good morning!

Hey Pam, i hope everything is going well for you. I have never tried the wheat grass juice. I do have this barley powder that i mix with juice or water that is nasty. I would like to try the wheatgrass though. Keep up the good work.

Earthangel, glad to hear from you also. I think i tried to pm u but maybe it didnt work out, i am not real computer savvy. How do you add buddies, i still cant get that.

Well i ran into a wall again last night, did super yesterday until it was time for supper. We had ordered pizza for the kids since it was friday night. So again i have to overcome the supper issue. I was thinking last night maybe i should just go all the way then i wouldnt tempt myself with the last meal. I really felt gross afterwards. I woke up last night with a headache and muscle spasms. I still wonder if it wasnt from the pizza. The drs. at IU where wondering if my daughter and i have celtiac disease. Again i put on few pounds after that - i did the same the night before. I woke up yesterday morning three lbs. heavier, after chores it was off. So i will quit rambeling, but i am sure it has to do with what i am eating, i do not do this on fruits and vegtables, nuts do mess me up though - i had almonds midafternoon. Today i have made the decision to go all the way. 100% it is.

On a wonderful note, spent the last night out on my back deck with family, looking up at the stars for a couple of hours. what a beautiful night it was. The air was perfect and so was the night. Another blessing!

Everyone have a great day.

mamafrey

Date: June 17, 2007 04:35AM

I think I would have a hard time turning down a pizza also. No regrets just a learning experiance.
I don't know what celtiac disease is, but I am going to google it to find out.
ABOUT THE WHEAT GRASS>>>>>>> It is by far the best stuff. You have got to try it. I wonder if you have a jamba juice anywhere close by you. If so find out if they have wheat grass juice available. meyerwitz is the founder of jamba juice and he has a wheat grass book that is perhaps the best and most informative book. When you drink it you should start with 1 to 2 oz. Any more and you may become sick. I always drink it on an empty stomach so it will absorb unhindered in my system. If you drink it on a full stomach you may burp grass all day. I usually swoosh the juice in my mouth for as long as I can. This will give you a clean mouth and is an aid for digestion. You will experiance a great burst of energy unlike anything else. You may also feel very happy. It is to my like liquid sunshine. If there were only one food on earth I would wish for wheat grass.
You will need a special wheat grass juicer. A hand crank one is inexpensive and great for a start. Wheat grass juice is one healthfull item my family enjoys.
hey recently I read something concerning nuts, it will take me a while to find it but when I do I will send it your way.
I love the stars but lately I have grey skys. Washington is known for its rain. Have a great sunday
Pam

Date: June 17, 2007 08:23AM

hey there hun....pampam is right wheatgrass juice is great..so good for you...you can also buy a regular juicer that does leafy greens and wheatgrass too!! i have one the omega and juices it perfectly!!!
that way you don't have to have two machines....the more wheatgrass you have the better detox you will have..yes you might get a little ill sometimes..but it is your body detoxing out junk!!!
you are doing good..sorry that the pizza situation arouse...that is tough but you learned from the experience and can move on!! good luck
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: June 17, 2007 04:35PM

Hey everyone - Good afternoon!!! I am going to check into wheatgrass. Anything that healthy i am all for it. I try anything once.

My evenings are my worse time. I really thought i had it under control. Last night my inlaws wanted us to go out to eat with them since my sister inlaw was in town. Needless to say, i could not pass up the grilled salmon with asparagus. Will just start over again today. Maybe i am not as serious as i thought. I realize it is a temptation though. Any temptation can be overcome. I just have to decide to really want to do it.

I bought a book that just came in the mail yesterday by David Klein, cant wait to read it.

Earthangel, i mixed up one of your recipes the other night. I dont know where i went wrong, but it was with the almonds, dates and agave. Tried to make into balls but it didnt work. Instead i layed it out in a baking pan, put strawberries on top. Boy was it yummy. Believe me i am not a sweet eater, but this was so sweet and delicious. It taste almost sinful. The chips i dehydrated - well lets just say i might try sweet potatoes next time.

Well i hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. Mine was wonderful. Being with family is such a joyful blessing. It also creates memories for my children.
I feel very at peace today. I must go, we are loading hogs out this evening.

Take Care,

mamafrey

Date: June 17, 2007 07:23PM

hey there...well sorry you mixed something up haha..hmm which one were you trying to make??? the fudge balls??
well i am glad it at least worked into brownies for the pan with strawberries....Oh and i know the few times i have tried sweets of different sinful delights of raw food i feel heavy and like i cheated haha...
oh well it is good a lot better then what you could be eating right!!!!

good for you..temptation can be overcome and you can do it!!! i believe in you and know you can do it!!!

take care and have a fabulous day hun!!!

lots of love earthangel
xoxooxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: June 18, 2007 02:30AM

Hi Mags---Welcome, and best wishes to you and your family.

Evenings was always the most difficult time for me, too. It is more under control recently, thank goodness. Am raw this time for about 8 wks or so..aprox. 6 wks at 100%. First went raw about 4 years ago...bumpy journey...now I believe it is really smoothening out.

The rawfood site Mona mentioned is very good. I am also into the Natural Hygiene practice of healthy living. David Klein is too. I read one of his books, his main one I believe. Also read Graham's 8-1-1...highly recommended. I am going to drive people crazy with this newfound enthusiasm for Graham's book on natural hygiene of high carbohydrate low fat low protein way of eating raw. I believe it is "right on"...will probably be insufferable when I've been on it for awhile...!!! I seriously recommend it to you since you are dealing with such health issues. Seriously...the sooner the better!

Many congratulations to you for embarking on the raw trail...and sincere wishes for a successful journey. It is definitely that, a journey!

Elakti smiling smiley

Date: June 18, 2007 08:15AM

hey there..just stopping in to say hello and see how your day was going...take care
love earthangel
xoxoxxooxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: June 18, 2007 05:35PM

Hello everyone! today is going really well. I tried the squash spagetti for lunch and i loved it. I think i ate a little to much though. One of my problems besides the temptation at supper - is the fact i am starved most of the time when supper comes around. I am wondering if i should eat more in the morning vs. supper. I have always been a very light brkfst. Ususally just a smoothie for years then salad at lunch with a little protein at times.

Elakti, i will check into the books you recommended, i will read anything. i am a avid reader. Congradulations on your 6 wks. raw. Also thank you for replying and the encouragement. Earthangel how is it going for you today. I love hearing from you also. It helps so much.

Luv yu guys!!!
Have a wonderful day.

Mamafrey

Date: June 19, 2007 09:03AM

hey there..yay for trying something new!! good to hear..i love that little meal!!! ooh if you are starving ever you aren't eating enough and really need to get eating some!!!! that is not good..try to add a few pieces of fruit through out the day..a handful of nuts here or there and a bigger salad with lots of yummy veggies!!!!
take care and have a great day
lots of love
earthangel
xoxoxoxoo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: June 19, 2007 11:01PM

Hi guys! Well today was a really busy day. My husband has been gone for a couple of days so its up to run both farms. That is 3000 pigs. Between the farms, house, mowing and kids i run out of time. I like being busy though.

Today i ate

bowl full of grapes
1/2 watermelon
smoothie (banana, blueberries, oj)
large salad
more grapes

I finished reading David Klein's book, it really made alot of since. I believe in his theories.

Well i am off to do my last half of chores before the night falls. It is such a beautiful evening. Oh and thank the dear Lord, it RAINED this morning. It was getting serious for the crops, but it rained alot, YEA!!!!!

EVERYONE enjoy your evening.

mamafrey

Date: June 20, 2007 10:22AM

Hey there..wow that is a lot of work for sure while the hubby is gone!! well keep up the good work and take care!! you are doing great
love earthangel
xoxoxoxxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: June 20, 2007 03:40PM

Good morning, i feel awful today. It came on last night. Every joint in my body hurts! I have a headache also. I feel very weak. I dont know if this is from going raw or if it is one of my flare ups. I feel like eating something crunchy and i dont have anything but apples.

Any suggestions for when you get a craving for crunchy and salt (instead of chips or pretzels)?

Today so far this what i have had: Smoothie (banana, blueberries, oj)
juiced: apples/carrots/ginger
avocado/salad/lemon juice dressing

Everyone have a wonderful day, its beautiful outside!

luv,

mama

Posted by: green gal ()
Date: June 20, 2007 07:40PM

well...apples are crunchy! (he he)
how about celery? yummy and full of natural salt...you could put a little bit of nut butter on the celery if you like that as well.
breathing and resting and LOTS OF WATER...these help me. I know how horrible a headache can be...eugh, i can hardly move at ALL when I have one...one of the only types of minor pains that completely incapacitates me. i had one that lasted three or four days when I quit the coffee last month. terrible, but felt so good after I got through it.
good luck--enjoy the sunshine!
xoxo
gg

Date: June 22, 2007 01:38PM

morning mags, sounds like your busy indeed........ crunchy and salty could mean you are in need of water? I was craving bread the other day and munched some sprouted wheat just a handfull and the need went away.......Have a great friday
Pam

Date: June 23, 2007 06:53AM

hey there hun...how are things going?? i hope all is well!! take care and feel better soon!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables