Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Trying again - to help with Type 1 Diabetes
Posted by: Monark ()
Date: October 17, 2007 12:43AM

Great news on the A1C test !!! Keep up the good work !!!

I tried making a gorilla sandwich today - OH was it good - thanks for posting the link !!!

I hollowed out my cucumber, then I mixed together avocado, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt, kelp, dulse, finely chopped carrots, and parsley - then stuffed it in there - YUMMY !!! The one posted on the web site has way too much fat for me - but just using an avocado with other low-fat veggies tastes awesome ! You could fill it with any raw sandwich filling you want !!! It was really good ! I'll start making these to take to work smiling smiley smiling smiley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read the fre*e e-book :
101 Ways to Change the World for Animals
[www.mypowermall.com]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Own your own Power Mall, over 1000 stores - completely FRE*E
Receive rebates on items you already buy anyway....
[www.mypowermall.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: October 17, 2007 09:28AM

ok, karen. i will never tell you to not eat nuts! lol! lets try reverse psychology....go eat lots and lots of nuts. lol! just kidding, karen. i used to eat alot of nuts. but for some reason lost my taste for them. i agree that they are good. but obviously they are not working for you.

i see what you mean about fresh and simple. and time. i feel time pressed and i dont even have kids. i cant imagine how that must be for you.

i think my salads stay fresh though. i make them in the morning to have for dinner. sometimes i dont want it though, and i end up throwing it out. so i guess there are pros and cons.

dont focus on your slip up. just think about how dedicated you have been for 4 months now. and think about how you are eatting only raw food today!

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 17, 2007 03:56PM

Thanks, Monark! Cool, you made a gorilla sandwich? Btw, what did you do with the cucumber filling that you hollowed out of the cucumber? Just curious.

Camille, that'll work! Now, I will definitely not eat any nuts. ;-)

You're right, I did great and I am doing great.

I had a headache/hangover from the cooked food yesterday. I didn't take anything for it and went to bed with a killer headache. I thought it would be hard to fall asleep, but I fell asleep pretty darn fast and woke up feeling great. I gained a pound on the cooked food but have lost it. I developed a couple of bruises on my tummy from the injections, but they are gone now. Raw foods are welcoming me back with open arms. :-)

I had a green smoothie last night - leaf lettuce, green bell pepper seeds and a little bell pepper, 5 baby carrots, and 1 avocado. That tasted awful so I had to keep adding bananas until it tasted good - which took 4. Then I ate 2/3rds of it and saved the rest for tonight. My blood sugar was pretty good last night and this morning.

I brought bananas and pineapple with me to eat at work for lunch.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 17, 2007 04:33PM

Nuts..yes, I've lost my taste for the ones already shelled, but I've been reading a lot recently in the free newspapers I get about Oregon's nuts, first Filberts, now Walnuts, and I'm getting a hankering for nuts in the shell..reminds me of the holidays I had growing up in Oregon. We always had mixed nuts in the shells out and it was a fun and healthy snack.

I bought a pineapple too..I want to juice those freshly picked grapes and add it to either the fresh cranberrie juice and also try it with pineapple juice.

Wow..that was a very green smoothie!

Love,
Prism

Date: October 17, 2007 04:37PM

I miss nuts in the shell too. Maybe I will try a few for the holidays. At least the shell slows you down and you don't eat as many and they are definitely more raw.

Oops, I knew I forgot an ingredient. I forgot that I put a red delicious apple in that green smoothie. So it wasn't quite as green as I made it sound. ;-)

Date: October 17, 2007 05:37PM

I liked this quote:

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”
Doug Larson

lol

Date: October 17, 2007 08:32PM

cute quote, karen.

hi prism! aka, medicine woman.

i know what you mean about a hangover from cooked food. it makes you feel terrible. just think of all the years you felt like that but didnt realize it. crazy, huh?

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 18, 2007 03:39AM

Karen, try just spinach and strawberries. maybe a banana if you want. I think strawberries and spinach tast real good together.
I just wonder what is put in the nuts that makes them so darn good. I can't eat them because of the teeth thing so that good right?

Date: October 18, 2007 04:53AM

Yes, Camille, it is amazing that we live that way and don't even realize that it could be so much better.

That sounds good (strawberries & spinach), Pam. Yes,in a way you are lucky that you can't eat nuts. But I don't envy the teeth pain you are enduring. I think nuts are acidic and concentrated, like the cooked food we miss. I did pass up on the nuts in the breakroom at work today and I did feel better without them.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 18, 2007 01:57PM

hehe did you know theres an avocado that apparently has a bacony type taste smiling smiley

can you imagine ! lol

theyre really hard to find and even a couple of import places i saw in the net had them sold out hehe

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 18, 2007 05:17PM

That is interesting! Where can I get one? smiling smiley

So far so good, nuts are the devil for me. Tempting and they lead me down the dark path. Just like cooked foods.

Bananas and apples today for lunch.

Date: October 18, 2007 05:51PM

way to go karen! see, you are not a slave to nuts afterall!

Date: October 18, 2007 06:03PM

They still call to me...

And I don't guarantee I won't give in to their siren's song some day... ;-)

And if it was a choice between cooked foods and some nuts, I still think the nuts are the better option - of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2007 06:04PM by karennd.

Date: October 18, 2007 06:32PM

i completely agree.

my downfall is vegan cheese pizza. i have loads of it in the freezer from when i was on cooked vegan. it only takes 8 minutes to prepare in the microwave. i stay away from it, though. but it calls to me as well. i should really throw it out. but my husband keeps saying he might eat it.

Date: October 18, 2007 08:00PM

That sounds yummy, unfortunately...

Maybe you could get some nitrite free pepperoni from TJ or WF and put it on one of those pizzas and then he would eat it!

Date: October 18, 2007 11:25PM

here hehe smiling smiley [www.localharvest.org]

Date: October 19, 2007 04:18AM

Cool, that bacon avocado looks yummy! Thanks, Jodi, for the link.

Date: October 19, 2007 05:06AM

hehe yea i know its so huge ! i wanna buy a case just once to see how they are but sheesh .. 10 to 12 of those bad boys woooieeee . .i dont know if i could eat that much .. lol

maybe aqua would split a box with me hehe tongue sticking out smiley

i suppose if they started to turn over ripe i could use them for face,hair and hand/foot masks lol

Posted by: Monark ()
Date: October 19, 2007 06:59AM

Hi Karen smiling smiley

The stuff I scoop out of the cucumbers - I just save it and through it in the next available smoothie smiling smiley . I usually have 2 smoothies a day - so the cuke innards don't sit around too long smiling smiley smiling smiley

Date: October 19, 2007 02:35PM

That's a good idea, Monark!

Jodi, yeah, I didn't order any of those avocados either. Way too many. I wish they sold them in the stores instead of the Hass avocados.

An oldie but goodie quote:

"All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently
opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident"....Schopenhauer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2007 02:35PM by karennd.

Date: October 19, 2007 02:46PM

hello karen! just felt like saying hi to you!

kisses!

camille

Date: October 19, 2007 04:09PM

Hi, Camille, kisses back! :-)

I think I will eat lunch now - bananas and apples.

My upper left back is hurting again. Eyes were blurry and now they are okay.

This morning my blood sugar was low. I could feel the symptoms but I was running late so I didn't test and just went ahead with my morning routine. It wasn't so low that I was in danger of passing out. I think it recovered on it's own and I felt better. I have noticed that on a few occasions before too. But only if it is borderline low.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: October 19, 2007 05:12PM

Those avos are only available January to July, it says.

Something to look forward tosmiling smiley

Date: October 19, 2007 05:17PM

Oh, thanks for noticing that, aqua. Maybe I will order some after the holidays then!

Date: October 19, 2007 05:37PM

hhaha ! yep thanks for noticing Aqua !! ..i didnt see that either .. i think i was stunned by the size and the concept of bacon flavor lol tongue sticking out smiley

lol isnt that funny too im so anti-animial foods yet i still miss the taste of bacon lol !!! i think it was the salt an smoke flavoring .. the idea of eating fried strips of fat really arent appealing haha ! =D

so now i guess were gonna have to smuggle almonds and avocados !! tongue sticking out smiley

Date: October 19, 2007 07:34PM

karen, just out of curiosity, how many apples and bananas do you eat at lunch? is this what you eat every day at lunch or is this just a phase?

thats funny, jgunn! i dont miss bacon, but i miss gravey made from bacon over american biscuits. i had that in north carolina and texas a long time ago. i have not seen it anywhere else in the world. (sigh) i have never forgotten it!

Date: October 20, 2007 12:26AM

Hmmm, that's funny, I have only seen sausage gravy in North Carolina - but then again I am not a native. I used to love it though.

Sometimes I take other fruit, but apples and bananas don't seem to affect my blood sugar as much as others. Today I ate 2 1/2 bananas and I had 2 apples with me in case I got hungry. I ate one of the apples in the afternoon. Now I am eating green smoothies for supper. Why, do you have a suggestion, Camille?

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 20, 2007 01:15AM

Karen, do you have a majic bullet? could you make a green smoothie at work? I have noticed that when I eat mostly fruit I am jittery and agitated feeling and when I eat the smoothie I begin feeling more even and not agitated. Just a thought. I am having a hard time with the greens though. I feel like a kid and have to have my mom tell me to eat the greens lol At first I put lots of fruit in the smoothie but have found it satisfieing when I just simply blend the greens. It just seems wierd but after a while I have gotton use to drinking my salad. I am just experimenting with what feels the best for me.
We are going to make it being raw

Date: October 20, 2007 05:06AM

Hi pampam, yes I do have a magic bullet but I was disappointed when it did not work on frozen fruit so I kind of stick to my K-tec now. I like the magic bullet to make dressings mostly.

No, I don't think I could make green smoothies at work. It would attract too much attention, make noise, and take time. I eat my green smoothies at home for supper. I mean I could make extra the night before and take a green smoothie with me to work, but I kind of like the variety with a little fruit at lunch. Sometimes I have lunch with a friend at work and then I do eat a salad at lunch with olive oil dressing usually. I will be doing that next Tuesday and Wednesday.

I agree with you though, that I feel better when I eat more greens and the smoothies are great.

Date: October 20, 2007 08:59AM

no suggestions. i was actually just trying to get some ideas for myself. i walk to work, 20 minutes. and i have to bring my lunch. i usually take juicey fruits that have to be cut ahead of time due to my time constraints at work. its a real pain to walk with all those containers of fruit for 20 minutes. i was thinking it would be easier just to put apples and bananas in a bag and go.

i was just wondering how many apples and bananas you needed to feel satiated. also, i get sort of shakey sometimes after lunch. a sort of high. its weird. i assumed it was my bs. and since you know more about this than anyone i know, i assumed it might help if i follow your example. winking smiley

Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables