Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 10 of 11
Re: Trying again - to help with Type 1 Diabetes
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 20, 2007 10:59PM

Yeah, I've taken pineapple, mango, grapes, etc. to work and they all require too much insulin. So, I am just mostly eating bananas and apples for now for my fruit. Although in my smoothies I might put some of the sweeter fruits.

Another person posted they get shakey after eating sweet fruit too - that's usually because your blood sugar crashed. Maybe, like her, your blood sugar is going way high and then crashing after eating sweet fruit. She said she feels great for a little while like she can accomplish anything and then she crashes (kind of like what many feel after a candy bar). If you try the bananas and apples, let me know how it goes - whether you avoid the shakes after eating them.

I thought I would post some insulin requirements for various fruits, veggies, & nuts for me:

1 banana - 2 units
1 small apple - 1 unit
1 raw bar - 2 units
1 small handful of nuts - 1 unit
1 omega 3 capsule - 1 unit
1 small bowl of pineapple - 3 - 5 units
1 regular sized salad - 2 units
1 large fruit smoothie - at least 5 units
bowl of grapes - 3 - 5 units
1 mango - 3 units

It's also not just the number of units. I feel worse, even with the insulin, after eating the sweeter fruits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: October 21, 2007 05:21PM

that sort of puts it into perspective for me. thanks for posting that.

i did not notice shakes today. i had apples and walnuts. not sure if it was the diet change or that i just did not notice it because i was so busy and running non stop today. i will let you know how tomorrow goes. i am off, so i will be able to judge it better.

hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Date: October 22, 2007 06:05AM

Walnuts, Camille? I thought you didn't eat nuts, so that surprised me.

Went to the fair again this weekend, just with my daughter this time. We had a good time. She had ice cream and a snow cone. I ate an apple I brought with me. Got lots of walking exercise, so that is good.

Then I came home and made a nori veggie roll, it was yummy.

I did a home colonic tonight and a lot came out and I feel lighter. It had been a month since the last time and I think it will help get rid of the cravings I was starting to experience.

I am seeing the endocrinologist tomorrow morning. I hope she thinks my 7.2 A1c is a good improvement.

Date: October 22, 2007 01:06PM

good luck at your appointment. hope its good news.

yeah, i think all your talk about nuts made me want them! lol!

no shakes today. walnuts and apples again for me. seems to help. no breakfast. and probably will make one of those gorilla sandwiches for dinner. have you made one yet, karen?

dont forget to let us know how your appointment goes today.

Date: October 22, 2007 05:42PM

I've corrupted you, Camille. Aaggh! lol

My colonic did make me lighter! I weighed 100 pounds this morning.

My endocrinologist was very happy with my improvement and asked me what the secret was, since she had about given up on me. I told her I switched to eating raw vegan. Then she started asking me if I had to take insulin when I ate meat and I said yes. After the appointment was over, I realized all she heard was vegan, not raw vegan. lol It's not just that I gave up meat. It's that I gave up grains and starches - those require the majority of the insulin.

Oh well, maybe I will remember to point that out next time. :-)

Date: October 23, 2007 04:52PM

I've made a realization and I will try to explain it, but it may not make sense to a lot of people.

Most of the time I am not really enjoying life and the now. I am enduring life and getting something done and anticipating the future, when I will be done with what I am doing or have to do the next task. One Reiki practitioner told me I wasn't really in my body, I was off to the side of my body throwing a fit. Actually, sometimes, I think I am off to the side of my body sobbing and wishing things were different.

The craniosacral acupuncturist who worked on me said I am sensitive to everything, with which I agree, and tense all over. He worked on lots of areas and tried to get some areas to loosen up. My massage therapist has found lots of tight trigger points and has eventually gotten them to release, but of course they gradually start to tighten up again. I wear a customized bite guard at night so I won't grind my teeth when I tense up in my sleep.

With my first pregnancy I went through Lamaze class and learned all the breathing and then I used those breathing lessons when I was in labor, but it still hurt like heck (until I got an epidural - not into natural health back then). Then I learned between my first and second pregnancy that you should relax your stomach muscles and not fight the labor. Nobody told me that! Maybe they assumed that the breathing helped you to do that, but it didn't for me. I was tensing up with every labor pain and fighting it. So, with the second pregnancy (and she was a 9 pound 15.4 ounce girl this time and the first one was only 7 pounds 7 ounces) I had her all natural and no pain, just some work. I learned to relax those muscles and not fight the labor. I learned to be there and work with it.

Now, after 52 years of living I am finally realizing that I have been fighting against my life. This is my life and I have to be in the moment, enjoy what I can, see the beauty and good in it where I can, and work with it not against it.

I am still a work in progress on this. I catch myself just power throughing a task and then I try to bring myself back to the present moment. I'm not just driving my daughter to art class, I am enjoying the drive with my beautiful, artistic daughter who I am so lucky to have and enjoying the weather, the beauty of the trees, or the clouds...

I am not just completing another mundane task at work, I am enjoying the analytical process and seeing what occurs.

The same with cravings. Maybe we shouldn't try to suppress them and look to a future without them. Maybe sometimes we should just feel them and experience them and not look to the future so much, just be in the now.

Anyway, this is going to continue to be hard. For example, my highly functional autistic son (who I love and adore and I am lucky he is as highly functional as he is) is in 10th grade and lies to us a lot. We try to keep on top of making sure he has all his assignments done and check his assignment list every night. Today, we check with his Science teacher and find he lied to us last night (and had been lying to us for over a week - because last time we got him caught up on all his missing Science work we kept asking him if he was doing his class assignments now and all caught up and he said he was). He said he had a Science test coming up on Thursday and had completed and turned in the Science Review yesterday. Turns out the Science test was today and he did not do the review. He has 6 missing assignments and was even disrespectful to the teacher today. She asked him to take his feet off the desk and he said why, it wasn't hurting anyone. This disrespectfulness even surprised her. And last night, since we thought he was caught up on his homework we let him play W.O.W. online. Then at midnight I caught him playing his PSP under his covers, which is now hidden. When I take it away, he says I am too strict. It's a constant battle and it tires you out. Sometimes you just want to look forward to the future - when he is out of high school - but there will be other problems then. So, I need to live in the now. I do enjoy his humor and talking to him about things. But the present will not be pleasant for awhile because he will be grounded from many things and he will be angry. Sometimes the present is not enjoyable, but I need to look for the good in it that I can find...

Well, that's my ramble for the day. :-)

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: October 23, 2007 06:51PM

Has he had any cranio-sacral done on him?

I think I read they have mixed results working on autism at Upledger Inst.

Just curious about such things.

Date: October 23, 2007 08:08PM

Yes, we have literally done everything with him and craniosacral is one of them. Right now at 15, he is tired of me trying to 'fix' him so it's mainly just homeopathy and a Brainbuilder software program. Along with some raw foods and supplements.

I know you mean well, Jill, and you don't know me from Adam so please don't take this personally. But I was afraid when I posted that post that people would start offering solutions for his autism.

I read books, was on autism bulletin boards, we have spent mucho money and done every therapy available. You name it, we have probably done it.

The truth is, when other people say their child is 'cured' of autism - many of them are like my son in that in most ways he seems totally normal. He just has some issues that I have seen other moms on their websites call 'leftovers' from autism. My son also has XYY syndrome, so perhaps his brain will always work somewhat differently because his chromosomal makeup is somewhat different.

So thanks, everyone, but please I don't want to go on a tangent of suggestions on how to cure my son. Curing him literally absorbed every waking moment of the first 12 years of his life and I still keep my open for little things to try - hence the homeopathy (he doesn't gripe about 5 drops in his mouth every morning) and the Brainbuilder (10 minutes a day). I love him, but I think that is one reason my health went downhill.

Once again, I spent so many years thinking I would enjoy life once he was 'cured'. Then life would be so much better. I need to live in today and enjoy what I have. He is wonderful in many ways and I am lucky to have him and my daughter also.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 23, 2007 09:41PM

good for you Karen .. it is true .. you cant change the past .. you cant change things that arent changeable

but you can chooose to enjoy what you have

thats one thing that always amazed me when id get deep into travelling around villages and stuff around asia .. you know meeting the *real* people

people who have nothing .. and yet are happy to give you a smile and pat the dirt beside them and share a cup of tea with you

i think the more we learn to enjoy things today ..the more things we can enjoy about tommmorow

smiling smiley hope you did have a good day after all Karen smiling smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 24, 2007 12:53AM

Ahh..yes..that thing of living in the moment. It as you say does take practice, but eventually you do get there. It comes and goes in spurts at first, it takes a practice of awareness and breathing, and consciousness..which you are doing already!

I will live in the present, while I'm awake, and live wherever and whenever my mind wants to when I dream. Now, I've got 2 dwelling places, one for the living, one for respite!

I wish for you productive and fulfilling days, and restful, dreamy nights of sleep!

Love,
Prism

Date: October 24, 2007 05:00AM

Thanks, guys. Btw, the evening went better than expected. He's grounded from W.O.W. but there wasn't too much screaming and we even joked around some.

True, Jodi, many of us have so much and we take it for granted and then the fact that someone that has so little can be happy and share what little they have...

Reminds me of a wise woman people would go to see when they were sick. The story was that if you followed her advice you would get well. Her advice was, repeat everyday 'I am grateful for everything that I have and I want for nothing." The ones who did got well (even if they were very poor) and the ones who didn't...

Exactly, Prism, it is like living meditation. I posted an article on Walking Meditation on another thread. This is taking it just a step further. I will keep practicing it and keep roping myself into the present. I'm also trying to relax my muscles, instead of tensing them all the time.

I do want to clear up a timeline that I may have made confusing about my son. Before he was born we found out he had XYY syndrome. I talked to a geneticist who told me he would likely have sensory, visual, and auditory integration issues. I read books and took him for sensory integration therapy and vision therapy from a young age. We eventually did auditory therapy also. In daycare and grade school it was hinted that he was A.D.D., so I studied up on that too and believed that autism and A.D.D. were on a spectrum. So I studied up on autism also, even though I had no idea that he was autistic. We did craniosacral therapy, the gfcfsf diet, food allergy tests, etc. Then we got the autism diagnosis when he was about 10 (I may have said 12 on another thread, can't keep things straight) and that's when I studied autism more and we did chelation therapy and more. Nuff said of that. It absorbed my hubby's and my life and my poor daughter was probably neglected some of the time.

To enjoying what you have and really experiencing the present moment!

Date: October 24, 2007 01:46PM

This is so freaky. I am still trying to live in the present moment and it is great, and today I read an article with this:

Use it: To develop that critical, casual Jeff Spicoli vibe, learn to slow down your fast times: "The more time you spend in the present moment, the more relaxed you'll be, because most mental anguish occurs over stuff that's already happened or that may or may not happen in the future," says Claire Wheeler, M.D., Ph.D., the author of "10 Simple Solutions to Stress." "For the most part, right now is pretty damn good. If you practice being present while shaving, for example, eventually you'll also be more present when eating, making love, and working."

The entire article is at [www.msnbc.msn.com]. Is the universe trying to tell me something or what? :-)

Date: October 24, 2007 03:36PM

Here is an article on the star of the the Crazy Sexy Cancer video:

[rawfoodrightnow.blogspot.com]

Guess what she has learned to do? Live in the moment. :-)

Kris claimed on Oprah that her cancer is now "stable". She is unsure if it is ever going to fully go away, but is confident that cancer has taught her how to live in the moment; to live in joy. What makes Kris so unique, us she has an entirely different view on cancer than anyone has ever heard before, at least publicly. From calling her tumors "beauty marks" to seeking new ways to make her journey to health something sexy instead of scary, Kris is certainly a brave and amazing woman for sure.

Date: October 24, 2007 05:23PM

That's cool about her take on her beauty marks, etc.

I believe that the more we give, the more reward we gain. It almost seems selfish to me to give stuff away, or to help or caregive for somesone, because I know it's going to lead to a more abundant life for me..in all ways, spiritually for sure, materially most of the time, and always it's good for my health and well being.

We can and should start giving to ourselves. Be good to our minds, bodies and souls. This is how then we see and treat others also.

I've learned to say specific things to myself or sometimes out loud that awakens me to the present moment. Or I'll see something that is so fantastic, and think that is so awesome that I'm looking at that beautiful sky, tree, or person..whatever caught my eye.

Right now, I'm going to take a hot sudsy bath..with my luxurious sudsy scented soap!

Love,
Prism

Date: October 24, 2007 06:21PM

Camille, I forgot to answer you about the gorilla sandwiches. No, I haven't made one. I was going to look for one at Whole Foods and try one, but I haven't seen one in the store yet.

Prism, can you share what are some of the things you say to yourself that awakens you to the present moment?

Date: October 24, 2007 09:18PM

karen, love, i am so sorry i have not had time to read your journal lately. nor have i had time to write in it. lots going on right now. i will explain later.

i just wanted to let you know you are on my mind and i am still sending you positive energy.

stay strong, my friend.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: October 25, 2007 12:45AM

Karen, I know exactly what you mean! You mention some problem and everyone starts trying to convince you how to fix it, as if you had never even considered the obvious over decades of having it!

I was just curious.... I don't know how to cure autism!

I had heard mixed results with cst, and don't really know anyone with an autistic child, and remembered you had mentioned cst, so......

Whether or not he ever has fewer symptoms, he's lucky to have a progressive mother like you.

Ever read the indigo child or ...arg, can't remember the titles? I bet you have!

Date: October 25, 2007 04:32AM

I haven't read much on indigo children. I've seen that one website of that one very talented artist who might be an indigo child.

I love cst. I took cst class and this teacher mentioned that autistic children have very tight heads (which my son did). She would work on them and loosen them up and then they would be tight again on the next visit. She thought heavy metals were causing it. I thought that was interesting and probably agree.

Camille, no problem. Check back in when you have a chance and let us know how everything is going. Thanks for the positive energy. Sending some your way too!

Posted by: Alkalarian ()
Date: October 25, 2007 09:25AM

Hi Karennd,

I recommend a book to you, written by Dr. Robert O. Young, nutritionist and microbiologist, its name is:

"The pH miracle for diabetes: the revolutionary diet plan for type I and type II diabetes"

Hope it helps you!

Regards, Mel

Alkaline Food / Green Food Chart With pH Scale

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: October 25, 2007 09:29AM

hi there...just wanted to stop in and say hello...let you know i am alive and thinking of you...hope all is well....i recently have been struggling with my diabetes as well....they are looking into my cushings disease right now...it is needing fixed cuz it is causing higher blood sugars for no reason....big thing
but i hope all is well with yoU!!
take care
love earthangel
xoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: October 25, 2007 04:16PM

Hi, ea. Glad to see you back! I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling with your diabetes and cushings, on top of everything else. Is cushings elevated cortisol levels? With everything you are going through I could see how those would go even higher. Are they letting you stick with raw foods while they are looking into your cushings?

Much love.

Date: October 26, 2007 06:16PM

I just thought I'd let everyone know that I'm not going to post for awhile. I am spending way too much time here and cutting back on this will help me to get more sleep. I've also gotten carried away with posting on the other threads.

So, to earlier nights in bed which I desperately need. Take care all.

Posted by: Monark ()
Date: October 27, 2007 11:54PM

Awww....I certainly understand about the sleep thing - take care - and I look forward to seeing you when you can stop in smiling smiley smiling smiley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read the fre*e e-book :
101 Ways to Change the World for Animals
[www.mypowermall.com]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Own your own Power Mall, over 1000 stores - completely FRE*E
Receive rebates on items you already buy anyway....
[www.mypowermall.com]

Date: October 28, 2007 09:47PM

It happens, and you are wise to just cut it off until you are more refreshed and renewed. You get your rest, and just be in the moment!

Oh..you asked what I say specifically to myself as cues to stay or come back to being in the moment. I don't have many cues like verbal ones anymore..I've gotten good at it over the many years of practice..long before I found raw foods even.

Now, if I feel rushed, I stop and I take a breath and look upward (usually I'm looking down at those times, thinking inwardly and focused on things internal) and I take my time, sometimes I'll turn from side to side, try to find details of what is around me, even just inside my house. If I'm outside, I sometimes will turn all the way around, look at people..really look at them, and smile..then I'll starting talking to some of them..it animates me, and it brings me right to the moment I'm in.

Things can wait for a few moments..just stop in your tracks..take a rest, focus, and become aware of what's outside of yourself. This way you become even more aware of who you are, and you like yourself more, and people like you more, and it's just more of everything!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 29, 2007 02:01AM

What a wise statement, prisim. I understand karen we need to take some time out I will look foreward to hearing from you later. Get some rest and know we are rooting for you to continur on this raw journey.

Date: October 29, 2007 12:55PM

hi karen! i too have been cutting back on this forum. its great but it can actually become addictive for me. there is just always new and interesting information to read and great people like you to correspond with. and i will end up spending so much time in this cyber world that i neglect my tangible world. lol!

great thoughts on living in the present and stress btw. i think this can also be applied to help stay raw as well. as in, do not think about what you ate in the past. or what you will eat next. just approach every meal and snack as if it were the first one you ever had. and make a wise decision. i am going to do this from now on. thanks for giving me the idea.

its very touching to read your posts. i love how open you are. it makes me feel less alone. thank you. winking smiley

i did not realize your son was autistic. i watched a really interesting interview with jenny mccarthy on larry king. her son is autistic and she claims he is recovering and that all autistic people can recover from it. i do not know if you are familiar with her views or not. i know what an information junkie you are so you probably already knew all this. she has a book out as well. my mom read it. she is an info junkie as well. she said jenny claims that her son is autistic because of vaccinations. and that she gives lots of advice on how to bring your child to recovery.

i know that her boyfriend, jim carey, is a raw vegan. i wonder if she and her son used this to help him recover? i guess i should just read the book! lol!

i would love to hear your thoughts on this stuff.

sorry so long, but i have not been here in a while! my inlaws are here from bulgaria for 2 weeks. and they are driving me mad! on the positive note i got alot of ideas to put in my book. too bad i am not a psychiatrist. i could dedicate an entire conference to them! lol!!!!!!!!

Date: October 30, 2007 06:55PM

hello again, karen. just wanted to bump your journal up so you know we are still here for ya! hope things are going well. my in-laws are still here! yuck!

Date: November 06, 2007 06:32PM

Hi all. Thanks for your posts. I have started a blog at [www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]. Entering my journal there keeps me from getting carried away and checking out all the posts on this board which I unfortunately do no have time for. Just like Camille said, it is addictive!

Thanks for the tips for bringing yourself back into the moment, prism. That's kind of what I do. I just try to look around and appreciate something around me or appreciate anything with any of my other senses.

Yes, I am an information junkie, Camille and I have heard about that book. ;-)

In fact, I just emailed a friend about it in response to an article she sent me on transcranial electromagnetic stimulation for autism:

"That is interesting. I also found this on the therapy they mentioned [autism.about.com].

Along with the continued 5 drops of homeopathic remedy a day, James also does a software program called Brain Builder each day that is supposed to help.

Even though I still try small things like this still and we even went to Chicago this summer to participate in a study that was supposed to stimulate things like the mirror neurons with auditory stimulation, one of my 'live in the moment' approaches is that I need to appreciates James for how he is now and he is wonderful in many ways. He is so tired of us trying to 'fix him'.

Have you heard about this book? [www.amazon.com]

The title says 'healing autism' but then when you check into it more you find out that the mom says he is just better, not healed. He is still autistic but his behaviors have improved to where he can work with his therapies better. Sometimes I think that everyone who is trying to heal their son of autism is just hoping to get them as healed as James is. I guess Jack and I just have high standards and we need to appreciate what we have."

Our son is mainstreamed in 10th grade in a small school and has never been held back. He has friends at school and loves playing W.O.W. Certain things are easier for other people than him, especially anything involving organization or abstract topics. But he is great in many ways. He is great at math, is a good goalie at soccer, and has a great sense of humor.

Camille, what is your book going to be about? If you already mentioned it and I forgot, I apologize.

I will check back here every couple of weeks. At least that is the plan. I hope everybody is doing great!!

Date: November 08, 2007 08:37PM

hey karen!

you do appreciate what you have with james. its just that you are a parent and you want the best for him. you also want him to be the best he can be. there is nothing wrong with striving for more for your kids. it does not mean you don't accept him. you are just being a parent.

my book is constantly evolving. i don't want to give too much away. its currently about a couple that are deeply in love but their relationship is dark. they both have romances with others. they manipulate in order to live a certain lifestyle. i love them! but sometimes i find myself hating them as well. i want my book to examine how we are all evil in our actions....but really we do these evil deeds for deeper reasons. like love. we are all truely good and great and capable of greatness.

one of my characters is autistic, actually. one of the reasons why i was so interested in autism. research. he is being used and manipulated by the female of the couple. she takes his disability money and justifies it to herself because she thinks that being autistic he can not be hurt.

hope you still check in here. i miss you!!!!!

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: November 15, 2007 05:26AM

Karen, I really miss you and your great words of wisdom. Check in every once in a while for old times sake
Pam

Current Page: 10 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables