Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 4 of 11
Re: Trying again - to help with Type 1 Diabetes
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: August 23, 2007 05:36PM

Hi Prism. I don't buy food from the vet. I have tried switching her to raw food (the raw chicken dog food that my vet recommended), but she wouldn't eat it. The store I bought it from warned me that some animals, mainly cats, will not switch to raw after being on cooked food and you can't just let them go hungry thinking they will finally give in and eat it as it will destroy one of their organs (can't remember which one). So I starved her for two days (the max they said to give it) and she wouldn't touch the raw food so I switched her back to the healthiest food that she will eat (once again, with my vet's advice) - fish flavored, ground up Fancy Feast.

My vet thinks as she gets healthier and healthier, and she is doing much better because I used to have her on dry food - very bad, that I might be able to switch her to the raw food later.

Bugs know what is edible and what is not. :-) The people at the expo said that bugs will eat plain old white bread, but they will not touch a McDonald's bun for some reason...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: August 23, 2007 06:29PM

glad your vision is still good and not effected by t1d. if you dont think you need glasses then do not get them. the same thing happened to my mom. the doctor said she had to wear glasses, but she did not think she needed them. well, being the obedient patient she was at the time, she followed his instructions. and now, years later, she actually HAS to wear them to see. and she says that she thinks she ruined her eyes by wearing glasses when she did not feel she needed them.

so true about mcd's food. i remember from my nuitrition courses at university, learning about all of the ingredients in fast food. its actually toxic! the lecturing doctor referred to these ingredients as "poisons" to our anatomy and physiology. i will never forget him saying that.

what is your cat's name? that breed of cat is beautiful.

would her raw food diet, if you can get her on it, include raw meat? i thought cats are natural meat eatters? dont cats need meat?

i know we do not. but i thought cats did.

you can bring her to ireland with you when you come to make my food. lol!

Date: August 23, 2007 09:12PM

Hi Camille! I keep forgetting to use your real name.

Yes, I think using glasses helps to weaken our eyes. So I will avoid them as long as possible. I have heard of some raw foodists, though, being able to reduce their glasses prescription over time.

I believe that about fast food. But nowadays I think it applies to a lot of packaged processed foods in the grocery stores too. They put in 'secret ingredients' (per one of Kevin Trudeau's book) that they don't even have to put in the ingredients list because they are so small in quantity. The bugs probably hate those secret ingredients. :-)

Our cat's name is Mystique. She is beautiful. She is 15 pounds, squeaks for her meow, and likes to sit next to you to be petted (doesn't like to be held or be on your lap - they want to be your buddy not your pet I read in an article).

Oh yes, the raw food I want her to eat is mostly meat. The vet recommended the BARF raw dog food - chicken. Yes they are natural carnivores. She is getting meat in her canned cat food, it's just not raw unfortunately. Before I got her she was raised on cooked meat, so she doesn't like raw meat yet and maybe never will.

Okay, I'll bring her with me! You'll love her! :-)

Date: August 23, 2007 09:46PM

yes, i have heard of vision improving to the point of seeing auras, as i have told you before. i think i told you anyway. about the girl who was fasting on juice and water. and the 3rd day in she began to see auras. not everyone around her. but certain people. she said, " what is that purple thing?" and the lady told her, its my aura. i am purple usually. cool, huh?

mystique. great name. i love cats that dont just "settle" for any sort of affection. my dad's cat is the same. she wants to be your equal, your friend, your family. not your baby. afterall, you are her's! not the other way aroundwinking smiley))

Date: August 24, 2007 03:07PM

Cool, that would be so great to be able to see auras, wouldn't it?

Yeah, Mystique's a sweetie. Our yellow lab mix, Twinkie, is a sweetie too. Everybody in the neighborhood loves her. I'll bring her to Ireland too! ;-)
-------------------
Last night I ate the leftover salad with that runny dressing and it was actually pretty good. What I liked the most was the green beans I had put in it, very crunchy. The dressing kept it fresh. I think I will use the leftover dressing tonight and add carrot juice, a little lemon juice, an avocado, and some green onions to make a raw soup. I found the recipe in Dr. Mercola's newsletter.

I still haven't soaked any sunflower seeds to make seed cheese yet, but I hope to do that this weekend. Been busy zapping the dog, to hopefully cure her cancer.

Today I plan to eat pears & bananas for lunch.

Btw, I highly recommend www.therawfoodcoach.com - I like her free weekly newsletter. I liked her article today called "Are Your Raw Blocks Simply All In Your Mind?" at [karenknowler.typepad.com]. It made me realize that I have had that problem in the past where I just thought staying 100% raw was way out there or only achievable by a 'special few'. No more though... :-)

The inflammation behind my right ear seems to be gone and the sores are healing up. I still have a little bit of drainage down my throat I guess because when I woke up I felt congested and my throat felt sore and I thought I might actually be going through a major healing crisis. No such luck though, after getting up and around I don't feel congested and my throat is fine. Sometimes I think my occasional high blood sugars keep me from having a full blown healing crisis. So, I guess I will heal slowly, but that's okay.

Date: August 25, 2007 08:16AM

yes, i would love to see auras! ok, so i am expecting mystique and twinkie as well winking smiley!!!

i will check out the link above. sounds interesting. i am always looking for inspiration!

glad you are experiencing some healing. perhaps slower is best for you. it might upset your bs if you went into full blown "healing crisis". it might put you in a state of shock or something. so i am glad you are ok it.

slow and steady wins the race!

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: August 27, 2007 03:07AM

hi there karen..how are you doing?? just stopping by to say hello and check in on you and see how things were in your life and how the diabetes and insulin was going.....i haven't been around for about a month or so and i noticed that when iw as catching up on like 2 pages of your journal you mentioned you even have to take insulin with proteins without carbs...that is so like me..no matter what it is if i consume it i have to take insulin....even diet drinks will raise it too..it is so crazy..well now that i am raw i don't worry about that part cuz i don't eat any of that..but so many people are like you still take insulin with salads and stuff?? yeah haha i do..anyways i thought that was interesting not too many others i have met have to take it like that as well!!!
well take care and have a great day
lots of love
earthangel
xoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: August 27, 2007 02:28PM

Camille, thanks, that's probably a good point. A full blown healing crisis would probably upset my blood sugars majorly. I still have drainage down my throat today, so slow and steady is probably best for me.
---------------------------
Hi, ea, so good to have you back!! smiling smiley

You are so right, so many people cannot relate. I have to take insulin for nuts, meat (back when I ate it), even omega 3 supplements. I still take it for veggies and fruits, but not as much as when I was eating cooked food and I also don't have the bs rebound action anymore that I would get from eating grains, which is really nice.

Yeah, stevia sweetened stuff - like yogurt - even raises my bs. It's nice to talk to someone who can relate. Take care!
------------------------
That raw tomato soup with carrot juice and avocado from Dr. Mercola's newsletter was very tasty. I don't eat too many avocados because I tested as allergic to them once a long time ago, but this was a very nice treat. I never liked cream of tomato soup, but this was good!

Other than that, a pretty uneventful weekend. I still haven't soaked any sunflower seeds for seed cheese. Oh well. I zapped the dog with the zapper a couple of times over the weekend and the kiddos are both back in school now so I am getting up earlier and going to bed earlier, which is probably healthier for me.

Date: August 27, 2007 05:21PM

hey karen!!! hmm that tomoato soup sounded yummy!!! i bet it was! seems like you had a fun zapping weekend haha..poor little dog lol...yay the kids back in school..means some time for you to really sit and plan your life smiling smiley
good luck and have a great day!
lots of love
earthangel
xoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: August 27, 2007 05:28PM

ea, don't worry, I know zapping the dog sounds mean but she doesn't feel anything except maybe a slight tingle. It's similar to Hulda Clark's zapper and it is supposed to kill parasites that cause cancer, etc.
----------------
8 weeks raw today! Yeah me! :-)

Date: August 27, 2007 05:33PM

Hey there..well that is good to know i was a little worried about the poor guy haha....well hun have a great day !! and take care
yay you for 8 weeks for sure!!!
love ya
sach
xoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: August 27, 2007 07:18PM

congratulations on 8 weeks! hope your sweet doggy gets rid of all her cancer!

Date: August 27, 2007 07:44PM

Thanks, ea and Camille! Our doggie, so far, has surpassed the vet's predictions on surviving. She still has a good appetite and enjoys her walks, so she is still having fun.
---------------------
I had the weirdest symptom after lunch. I ate four pears (I was afraid they were going to go bad). I checked my bs before I ate them, took my insulin, and then washed them and ate them. Then a few minutes after I ate the last one I felt like I was going to throw up. I shut my office door and moved the trash can in place and waited for it to happen. I was salivating like crazy and I really thought, this is it - the start of a big healing crisis, I'm ready! I checked my bs to make sure it wasn't extra high, cause that can cause nausea. But it was 172, not high enough for this reaction. After 5 or so intense minutes the feeling passed. So I am good now but it was weird. I checked my bs again just now (a couple hours later) and it is 101. Maybe too many pears, too much drainage, or am I getting overly sensitive to slight temporary spikes in bs? Oh well, I will watch and see if this happens again and try to figure it out.

Date: August 28, 2007 07:22AM

very interesting. i will be interested to see ea's comments on this.

Date: August 28, 2007 05:50PM

Yes, I wonder if ea has ever experienced that.
-------------------------
It was my month to pick the lunch place, so I picked Ruby Tuesdays because they have a salad bar. Everybody got something totally different and enjoyed their meal, so that was good, and I definitely enjoyed the salad bar. So, finally, a good lunch out with the work folks. And they are talking about going to Sweet Tomatoes next month. I don't know if they are trying to be considerate of me or if they really like it. But whichever, I'll take it. :-)

I ate some leftover salad last night that was really good with some buckwheat greens in it and some raw black olives. I still like raw olives cut up in a salad, just not by themselves too much. It was yummy. Then I pigged out a little. There was a package of raw chocolate covered peanuts & raisins I had ordered along with the raw nut butters and I ate them all. It was a small, individual serving size package but still - a lot of sugar for me. It wouldn't have been so bad, but I didn't estimate the insulin right and so I woke up with 300 bs. Oh well, that was a one time treat. I don't think I will order them again. They were yummy and too tempting.

The raw flax crackers & raw nut butters (walnut & pecan) are good. I try to just have a little each night and it is a nice treat. Oh, I also crumbled up one of the flax crackers into the salad and that was nice too.

Posted by: Monark ()
Date: August 29, 2007 12:31AM

Hi Karen !

I had a bad reaction to pears, too - and I am not diabetic. I think I ate 2 or 3 one morning and felt really sick for awhile - eating some bananas helped settle my stomach down - but I just stopped eating pears. I don't know what it is about them that made me so sick. Glad you are feeling better now, though.

Date: August 29, 2007 03:24PM

That is interesting Monark, thanks! I am eating pears today again for lunch so we will see...
---------------------------
Had a scrumptious frozen fruit/raw power smoothie last night. I am low on groceries and waiting for payday, so I am having to rely on my supply of frozen fruits. They are good though.

I am still experiencing drainage down my throat and a smidgen of swelling behind my right ear.

Also, for 2 months I have been ending my warm showers with cold water. This was a health suggestion by the holistic doctor I originally learned from and I saw it also on this website [www.startthehealing.com]. At first, it was so-o-o cold! But now, it's like - I thought this was cold? Can't I make it colder? And I enjoy the cold water for a few minutes. They say it helps to get your blood flowing, prevent varicose veins, wake up your organs, etc. like the Polar Bear people who take a dip in ice cold water everyday. So, hopefully that is helping me too along with the raw diet.

Date: August 30, 2007 05:43PM

Well, I didn't eat those pears yesterday after all - just bananas, grapes, and some nuts at work. I will have to pay attention though next time I eat pears to see what happens, if anything.

I really need to stop eating the raw unsalted nuts at work. I just eat way too many and then I don't feel good. My blood sugar goes up and I have trouble getting it back down and I feel tired. So, that's it, the nuts they provide at work were officially a transitional food for 2 months and now I am going to stop eating them. I think I will bring some seeds to work to have available to snack on.

Payday! I am going shopping tonight and getting some veggies for salads and smoothies at night. I had a salad today at lunch with a friend at work. I put a little olive oil on it (that may be a little cheat), but I am getting a little tired of dry salads and then squeezed some lemon juice on it. I walked to her building to have lunch (about a 10 minute walk) and the walk didn't tire me out this time like it usually does. Even the uphill walk on the way back was fine. Yeah for raw foods!

Date: August 31, 2007 03:04PM

thank you for sharing your "transformation" with us. i can see you have changed so much in short time. even through just your words. keep up the good work. you are smart. you are doing this slowly and finding out what works best for you, personally.

good job!

Date: August 31, 2007 04:56PM

Well, I had one more package of chocolate covered nuts left at home (almonds & raisins) and I ate them last night. I woke up with a bs of 266. I'm glad they are all gone now, I don't need to have that kind of temptation laying around. :-)

That was at 6:30, so I took 2 units of insulin and at 10:30 my bs was at 87 - yea!

I had to run so many errands last night after work since it was payday and the cupboard was bare. I also had to take my daughter school supply shopping for some special supplies for art class and newspaper class. So, when I was shopping at Trader Joe's I broke down and bought the only raw food bar they carry - not a very tasty one but it was better than crashing and resorting to sugar.

Everything looked so good since I was shopping hungry. So I even bought some presliced mango and pineapple - which I never do. But sometimes I will buy a whole pineapple and not get around to cutting it open, so it's probably better to buy it presliced than to do that.

I ate some of the mango last night and it was very yummy. I saved some of it to, hopefully, put in a green smoothie tonight. TJ did not have any greens that I wanted to buy - they are all prepackaged there. So I plan to stop at Harris Teeters on the way home and get some lose mesclun greens and maybe some other greens that look good to me and then make some smoothies with the mango and pineapple. By prepackaged, btw, I mean prewashed and in plastic bags. I don't mind buying greens that are bunched together. But the prepackaged ones are usually washed in chlorine and they've had another scare with prepackaged spinach - a recall for salmonella this time. The problem is when they wash the greens, any bacteria on some of the greens gets spread around to all of the others. I want to wash mine all on my own. :-)

Date: August 31, 2007 08:14PM

i always buy pre-sliced pineapple and mango. nothing wrong with that. it makes it easier to stay raw for me. dont get so caught up in these ideals of how we should eat raw. as long as you are eatting raw fruit and veg you are doing excellent. dont get so wrapped up into these so called gurus or self proclaimed prophets of nutrition.

there are even people on this forum that give out advice as though they know more than a medical doctor.

dont get me wrong, i am all about alternative meds and listening to your body first, but it disturbes me when someone feels like they are doing something wrong when the are eatting fruit or veg that is pre-sliced.

give yourself a break, my love!

you are fantastic!!!

Date: August 31, 2007 09:28PM

Thanks, Camille! Actually, I was referring to the fact that I was splurging. :-) You know, spending too much money for it presliced versus being cheaper if I sliced one myself. I hadn't even thought about the fact that some nutrients might be 'escaping' because of the slicing (I am guessing that's what you were talking about). Now I am going to worry about that too! Just kidding. ;-)

You are fantastic too and we are getting more and more so everyday that we eat these yummy foods!
---------------------
Yesterday I started sneezing and having to blow my nose a lot and some this morning too. Yea for detox! But now I am back to just some drainage. I am excited though because I know my body is dumping toxins. I didn't do a colonic last weekend. I definitely want to do one this weekend.

Oh, Twinkie, our dog with lymphoma is doing pretty good. We cut her prednisone medication in half over the last month and the latest blood tests show her white blood cell count is pretty good so we can stay at the level and retest in two months. She is also no longer anemic. They are very happy with how she is doing. Maybe the energy work and zapping are helping. Whatever, we'll take it. :-)

Date: September 01, 2007 07:14AM

LOL! oh, ok, i see what you meant now! funny.

yay for detox!!! you are climbing that mountain, girl! i had so much mucous and drainage as well when i first went raw. then one day it was like my breathing felt cleaner than ever before. it was as though i had been breathing wrong all those years on cooked.

good for twinkie! poor baby. i will send her some positive thoughts!

love

camille

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 01, 2007 03:38PM

Ahhh..that's good news for you little doggie. Mine is getting groomed for the last time here in Oceanside. It's been so dang hot around here! My hair keeps geting shorter with each passing summer month? It's about half blonde and half natural brunette now. I dare not cut anymore offsmiling smiley

Pizza..been on my mind for 2 months! I really miss eating that stuff..it's funny, but I'll cheat with other SAD foods, but pizza is one of those foods that is just really bad for me.

You have a fun 3 day week-end!

Love,
Prism

Date: September 04, 2007 03:42PM

Thanks, Camille, for the positive thoughts for Twinkie. I took a break from zapping her this weekend, but hope to start up again tonight.

Yeah, I agree Prism, pizza is about the worst food for me too. Really makes me feel bad and affects my blood sugars for way too long.

I hope you two had a good weekend.
----------------------------------
We finally travelled the two hours each way to go to the beach (our first time all year). All four of us did some body boarding. But it was so-o-o windy that the waves were kind of beating us up so we didn't do it too long.

I packed water for everyone, popcorn & apples for the kids, peaches, muscadine grapes, raw walnut butter, and raw flax crackers for me in one of those flexible coolers. Sure came in handy. My bs crashed while I was body surfing one time and I came back to the shore and tested and it was 58 - so I ate a yummy peach and I was ok. Then on the 2 hour trip back I ate the grapes and the crackers and walnut butter. Very nice.

I ate quite a few green smoothies on Saturday and Monday. I used pineapple, mango, strawberries, and peaches (just 3 fruits in each smoothie) and baby spinach and parsley for the greens. Boy, then I really started having big movements - even bigger than usual and green in color. I finally started to collect the stool specimens for the 3 day test my doctor wants on Monday. So, I didn't do a colonic because I need to collect today and tomorrow also. I may just wait for the professional colonic that I have schedule for September 11th. It is sure a lot less hassle to have someone else do it.

Still got some swelling behing my right ear and some drainage. I also experienced some pain in my upper left back on Sunday during the drive to and from the beach. I don't notice it so much now. One massage therapist pointed to some charts one time and told me that my upper left back is the referral point for pain for my pancreas/spleen. So, when I feel that pain (which I have on and off over the last few years - mostly when I am eating healthy) I think my pancreas is trying to come alive again and it is a good sign.

Date: September 04, 2007 04:16PM

Oh, I forgot to mention - 2 months raw as of Sunday the 2nd. Yeah me! :-)

I think I will keep track in months from now on, instead of weeks. The raw food diet is becoming a habit now, don't really think about it much. I just do it.

Date: September 04, 2007 06:39PM

WOW! WOW! progress progress progress! why did your doc want a stool sample? forgive me if you have already addressed this here. glad you had a fun weekend. i love how your fam is benefitting from this as well, eatting healthy snacks, exercising outside!

its great!

love

camille

Date: September 04, 2007 06:57PM

No, I hadn't mentioned it before, Camille. My new holistic MD is very much into preventive medicine and because of my age just wanted to do one of those 3 day stool sample tests that is mainly analyzed for blood I think. I know they won't find anything, but if she thinks it's important that's fine - I can do it. :-)

Date: September 04, 2007 07:33PM

yeah, it cant hurt!

Date: September 05, 2007 06:00PM

That's right, it definitely can't hurt. It's not like she's asking me to take a drug, just do a simple test.
-------------------------------
Oops, I did it again. I had some of the work nuts today. They sent my blood sugar up. At least I took a smaller serving and I don't think I will go back for seconds like I usually do. They are getting less and less satisfying to eat too. I brought some raw pistachios and pumpkins seeds to work. I have been nibbling on the pistachios but I haven't opened up the seeds yet. I need to rely on those to help me stay away from the work nuts.

I woke up with 131 bs at 5:30 but then (without eating) it shot up to 250 by 7:30. I think the stress of the morning routine and taking my daughter to school is doing it. I need to do some of the preparation the night before so I am not so rushed in the morning - like change the dog and cat's water, set out the kids' vitamins, pack my son's snack, and put more needle tips in my bag with my insulin pen. Things like that. I will try to start that tonight.

I sneezed a few times in a meeting at work this morning and blew my nose later and there was a lot of drainage. So, I have short bouts of big time drainage at times and then mostly continuous little drainage the rest of the time. My upper left back started hurting again. I am trying to do some Quantum Touch breathing and send energy to that area and to my pancreas (front left and middle below ribcage). I don't want the pain to go away, cause I figure that is a good sign. I just want to send it some extra healing energy.

I read a good article by Karen Knowler, the raw food coach, this week talking about the energy issue. It seems like a lot of people have problems with having low energy while on the raw diet sometimes. I saved the article but these were the main issues she found were a problem for one of her clients:

1) Where are the greens?
2) Where are the sprouts and living foods?
3) Where are the fresh green and/or vegetable juices?
4) How much water are you drinking?
5) How often are you snacking? (And what on, mostly?)
6) Are you only eating when hungry?
7) How much are you eating for emotion, and to what extent?
8) How often does the wine, coffee, tea etc. slip in? Is it really only “occasionally”?

With this client, it turned out, she was low on energy because she wasn't consuming any greens, sprouts, green juice, nor enough water. She was also snacking too often - often on nuts and dried fruits and not giving her body a chance to rest from digestion. She was eating when she wasn't hungry, for emotional reasons. And lastly, the occasional wine, coffee, and tea had turned into more than occasional. As she pointed out, just eating 100% raw isn't enough to ensure high energy. I thought it was interesting and I am going to try to snack less often on nuts also.

Current Page: 4 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables