Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: Trying again - to help with Type 1 Diabetes
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: September 20, 2007 07:29PM

i love that quote charlie!!!

hi karen! things will calm down at home. it always does. you know, my dad is gone now. i lost 6 pounds the week he stayed here!

funny about your veggies! i do the same exact thing with my fruit. only my tummy does not get upset, i just feeel really full!!!!

so, karen, hope i am not being too nosey or technical....
but, can you sort of summarize your progress with your bs, from the beginning to now? i mean, i just think it would be so interesting to see this. like a little chart? do you keep a chart or record of it at all? or do you just sort of remember?

just curious and interested.

also, can anyone reading this please see my posts on the "other topics" forum list. it will bring you good karma, i promise!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 20, 2007 09:19PM

Hi, Camille. Yep, things did calm down. You are right. I guess things are calmer for you now that your dad has left. Sorry it didn't go better.

I buy too many fruits sometimes too, but I usually just freeze them for smoothies later so I don't feel compelled to eat them. I don't think it would work to freeze my veggies. Maybe I will make a veggie smoothie or soup tonight to use up some.

I had already checked out your post on primate abuse. I admire you so much! I sent you an email, I hope it is long enough.

Thanks for asking about my blood sugars. I don't write them down, they are stored in my meters a few months back. So, let's see... Here are the numbers starting June 9th (the farthest back my meter has right now) through the end of July 1st (I went raw on July 2nd): 327,181,270,271,200,75,151,204,170,374,269,140,132,176,135,113,68,233,571,308,
314,207,90,83,193,213,165,192,106,190,249,230,69,352,340,333,192,333,59,202,101,
297,300,371,HI,313,239,221,466,489,301,380,264,236,136.

Now, Sept 1st through today:

Doesn't look too great does it? The thing is, a lot of times you test your bs when you know it is too high or too low so you get a skewed sample. Then you take insulin and you feel better. I know I feel better and I try not to worry about my bs not being perfect, because if I do then I will give up and eat junk and feel worse. I also know when I take insulin for fruit & veggies, it brings my bs down and I don't have a rebound action unless I eat something else. Before, especially with grains, I would take the insulin for it and then my bs would rebound even without eating anything.

The real test will actually be my A1c blood test that I am having done on October 12th. That is supposed to be an indicator of your average blood sugar over the last 3 months. It is supposed to be under 7 but my last one was over 8. So, that is what I am hoping will be improved!

Date: September 21, 2007 06:50AM

wow! thanks for posting that. it really puts it into perspective for me to see the numbers. you are healing yourself. i can really see it!!!!!

keep us posted on you a1c, i will be looking for it around the 12th.

btw, thanks so much for your letter. it was perfect. it does not have to be long. you know, only 1 other person besides you on this forum has written in. i am so shocked. most of these people claim to be such fierce animal advocates. i guess when it push comes to shove they dont really care that much.

i mean, just an email, just a few lines. ya know? i am really disappointed. i posted the link to that thread on the pics of you thread on the main forum hoping more people will see it.

hope i dont get in trouble.

Posted by: lacombe ()
Date: September 21, 2007 03:07PM

good morning ladies.

karen you did not bring me down at all...that would be pretty hard to do as i'm an optimist...i was just concerned because you seemed so sad in that post.

i didn't realize that you've been raw for so long...congratulations. i have a question though...your bs tests are in numbers from two digits up to the 500's and yet you talk about your ha1c being in the 7-8 range. i take it you live in the US. i'm in canada and used to test years ago with those same numbers although now that we are metric i test usually in the 5-10 range and get a ha1c in the 7 range. i don't quite understand the difference between the two sets of numbers. i imagine that you would want to test in a range of about 90-180??? is that right? i agree with you about the tests are often taken in the extreme times and i hope your ha1c is a good result. i once had a very good internist tell me to aim for 7 and that they found that a score under 7 usually meant too many reactions. how long have you had diabetes?

i would never try to tell you to do anything specific but i thought i would share a few things that are working well for me. i'm a pretty aggressive guy and i treat my disease aggressively. i usually test my bs 10 times per day (this is expensive) but i feel necessary as i can't tell all the time where my sugars are. i also use three types of insulin...a slow acting 12 hour insulin, one that works in 3-5 hours and a third that is instantaneous...i take about 12-15 shots per day, often just 1-3 units to fine tune my sugars and i really work on being in good control when i'm sleeping because that is 1/3 of my day. i even get up once in the middle of the night just to check. i usually try to walk twice a day for a total of about two hours...when i get lazy and don't do the work my control slips dramatically.

of course being raw (or in my case close to it) really helps. i noticed that when we travel, especially to third world countries my sugars really levelled out and it is because they process their foods differently than we do...that really helped me make up my mind to change my diet here...simply because i can't trust the food here the same way i can in mexico, africa or south america.

my big challenge is our winters. we live in canada, north of calgary and our winters are often cold and it is not easy to make a smoothie for breakfast when the temp is minus 20...but i'm really going to try and fight through that this winter.

karen i would be happy to talk about our disease anytime with you, perhaps we can help each other beat this thing. in the meantime i would like to thank you and pihourova for your positive thoughts and love and send my special love to you both.

charlie

Date: September 21, 2007 05:18PM

I am not sure that I can see the healing in my bs numbers, Camille, but I'm glad you can. I think I have slipped up on my control over the last couple of weeks, is part of the problem. I have stuck with eating raw, but due to various reasons, I have probably eaten too much fruit, nuts, seeds, and not tested often enough. Sometimes I just get sick of this disease, you know? Also, I think one of my problems is that I am just not very satisfied with my life. I just took this test [www.theformulaforhappiness.com] and I did not do so well. But I have faith that things will change. It may take time, but it will happen.

I saw an article recently that said the A1c number is not really a true indicator of the average blood sugars over the last 3 months. What it is is an indication of the damage to your blood cells from sugar. So, I am a little hopeful that any damage done by my high numbers is being cleaned up and healed by the nutrients in the raw food I am eating. I know the raw food has sure helped with my cholesterol and other numbers!

Camille, how did you learn about the primate abuse in Bulgaria? Do you want them to make it illegal to keep them as pets? That's what I was deducing and agree with, but wasn't sure.

Hi Charlie, thanks for posting. I have only been raw for over 2 1/2 months - not that long. I am hoping a few years of eating raw will really help my body to heal.

That's the way they do the numbers here in the states. 70 - 120 is considered a good blood sugar number. Although if I am under 200, my endocrinologist says not to take any insulin unless I am eating as I go low too easily. So, right now, she is fairly happy with any numbers under 200 for me. Sometimes it is very hard to estimate how much insulin to take with fruits & veggies because they vary so much in their sweetness and there is no way to exactly count the carbs. So, I tend to err on the side of underestimating so I won't go low and become unfunctional (get confused mentally and it takes awhile to recover) and take insulin later to compensate.

The A1c number for a non-diabetic is usually 4 - 6. They tell us to shoot for 7 and under as a diabetic. I have been in the double digits, so I am doing better. My best ever was 7.8 and last time it was over 8. They have charts that translate the A1c number into the blood sugar numbers, to find out what kind of average it indicates.

Thanks for the suggestions, Charlie. I test my bs about 6 - 8 times a day. You know, stress also affects my bs a lot and that is hard to count and dose for except to see you bs go up and then compensate.

For example, I did much better on vacation for a week in August:
146,195,172,41,149,194,118,90,49,182,181,151,162,189,92,101,192,123,199,257,281,266,175.

I was getting more sleep, not having to make sure my highly functional austistic son was doing his homework, not trying to learn at a new job, not fighting with my hubby (he was not on vacation with us), etc., etc. Now, If I could do that well all the time... Maybe eventually.

I take 10 units of a 24 hour insulin (lantus) and humalog during the day. I have a new humalog pen that lets me dose in half units, if need be. I have tried another insulin that was supposed to work faster, but it didn't seem to work faster on me. Yeah, 1-3 units is my usual dosage too. I waste more insulin than I use, because you have to prime it with 2 units before you use it. :-)

I take 1 unit for every 80 over 100 on my blood sugar and if I have a fruit smoothie I have to take 5 units or more of insulin. I am getting 5 1/2 hours of sleep a night now, so I don't think I will be getting up in the middle of the night to test my bs. :-)

Sometimes, Charlie, I wake up with a good blood sugar - like 80 - and then an hour later, without eating anything - it has gone up to 160. Does that ever happen to you? That is so frustrating.

Walking twice a day for 2 hours sounds wonderful and I'm glad it works for you. I used to take my daughter to the gym at night and I would walk on the treadmill for an hour. I want to start up again, but it hasn't worked out yet. But my blood sugar control did not seem to improve. I'm sure it would over time, I just need to do it more. I know if I walk too fast or use an exercycle at too fast a speed, it stresses out my body and my bs shoots way up. Once again, very frustrating for someone who used to teach aerobics and loved it.

If you have any more thoughts, let me know. Thanks!

Date: September 21, 2007 06:36PM

karen, i was in bulgaria. i am from there originally.

i was chasing these people with my camara. the monkey had a broken leg and he was being made to walk very fast. and when he could not keep up he was being hit on the head over and over. he was also punched in the face. he had no hair around his neck because of the chain being so tight. and probably he is never taken off of this chain.

i was livid!!!! i wanted to grab him and run. but he is a wild animal afterall.

we are petitioning parliament to make it illegal to own them, and to beat them, and use them as tourist props. HE WAS NOT A PET! people were actually giving these blood suckers money to take pics of him. and they were angry at me because i refused to give them money and i was snapping pics of them as well as the monkey.

i can not believe that only 3 people on this forum have responded to this. what a bunch of phoneys!!!!! sorry, i dont mean you guys. but it really pisses me off after all this talk on this forum about animal rights that these hipocrites can not even write an email.

sorry, i am just really pissed about it.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 21, 2007 08:55PM

That's just too sad, I can't stand it when people do mean and cruel things to animals. I wish you every good luck in getting a law passed to protect them!

Love,
Prism

Date: September 21, 2007 09:17PM

Camille, maybe you should copy and paste what you just said about the broken leg, walking fast, hitting, punching, no hair and how they use them - all except the phony part ;-) - into your other posting. I didn't understand the urgency of this from your other posting. That might help to get more letters.

That is very upsetting... Poor thing.

Date: September 21, 2007 09:31PM

well, i thought i made it clear that the monkey was being mistreated and i have pics to prove it. but i guess they need more.

you are right, karen. i will post it.

prism, please write an email to me saying you do not like this. and that you will not go to bulgaria for a vacation until they pass laws protecting primates.

people do not understand, its not ok to keep them even as pets, or "movie stars". it is very cruel to take them away from other monkeys. even if they are being "pampered".

Date: September 21, 2007 09:43PM

I agree that keeping them as pets is bad also, although this one isn't a pet. That poor thing looked so downtrodden in those pictures. I hope you are successful!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 22, 2007 05:31PM

I need your current email address...since you have it hidden on your profile. I would be happy to write an email for you.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: September 23, 2007 05:07AM

Karen, I just caught up on your diary, You are doing so good. I have been reading the ann wigmore books again. I am feeling the need to look into meditation and I am chalanged with spiritual things. Ann stresses the need to enjoy the sun and breath and meditate. I am my worst enemy I can rip myself up real badly and just endulge myself in negative thoughts. I mostly baste myself in things from my past. I think I am getting better about being more positive but it is so abnormal for me to think and be positive that I feel sick in my stomach when I am positive. I dont know what the problem is but I actually resist being positive. There are family fights in my house too and sometimes I just don't know what to do about it. I cant stand the shouting any longer. Things are changing in me I notice my stomach tightening up and I just dont want to eat feeling like that. You must have a house with teenagers they are such drama addicts. It seems like pulling teeth to just get them to clean their messes and do some chores. I have two grown children in the house and they tend to be real lazy and selfish with the chores. That causes tons of stress. My 20 yr old daughter moved out with her baby she did nothing to help with the cleaning and my 25 yr old daughter still lives hear and its hit and miss with her. She is on some very heavy pain meds that has really messed up her personality. Any how I just thought of shareing a bit. You keep up the great work on yourself. I am encouraged by your story. Thanks for shareing
Pam

Date: September 23, 2007 04:54PM

Karen, just wanted to check in with you! I hope things are going well. How was your weekend?

Just wanted to add to what pampam said, that you are a great encouragement to me as well.

Date: September 23, 2007 07:03PM

pampam, you are so right. I have two teenagers at home and also my hubby and I grew up in yelling households, so it's hard not to get sucked into it and start yelling too. The last time it happened, my only yelling was to yell "Stop it. Just stop yelling." and things like that and then I calmly talked to them. So, I am improving and I hope it will rub off. But it is very upsetting, isn't it? Yeah, I jokingly call my kids lazybutts sometimes when it is hard to get them to do something. It is very frustrating and the house is a mess (clutter mostly). Very unFeng-Shui and I think the mess puts a continual level of stress on all of us. I feel so overwhelmed by it all sometimes that I just focus on the little things that I can get to. But, maybe as I get more energy through the raw diet I will start feeling less overwhelmed and tackle some of the clutter.

You're so right, pampam, meditating and sitting in the sun are so important. One newsletter I get suggested focusing just on your breathing at stop lights and that way getting little bits of meditation in during a drive. I'm going to start trying that. I'll tell you one thing I do is after I drop my daughter at school, I have a little time before I have to get to work so I park in a parking lot to read a little bit of a book and take a power nap. My own little private time and I do enjoy it.

Thanks, Camille, I appreciate the encouragement. Have you gotten a lot of letters for your campaign against primate abuse? I sure hope so. It is nice to know that we are all in this together and I am not the only one. It is sure helping me to stick with the raw food diet this time around. Thanks!
----------------------
Just eating lots of salads and fruits smoothies this weekend. I finished up all my frozen lychee fruit this weekend, they were so good but they were starting to get freezer burnt so I needed to eat them. Now I probably won't be able to get anymore until next summer, but I will keep my eye out for some more.

Date: September 23, 2007 07:42PM

glad you are finding ways to get some "me" time for yourself. that is so important. i hope my mom was able to do that. and i hope she still is able to do that. mom's are really such selfless beings. its such a thankless job, being a mom.

me and my brother used to yell all the time at our mom and at each other. now i feel so guilty about it. my poor mom. reading your post and pampam's makes me see how self absorbed we can be to our parents. we put her and my dad through hell. and i can not believe all the stuff we did and lied about. god, makes me feel terrible. makes me afraid to even have kids!!!! lol!

now, that is bad, when you are so scared of having yourself, that you are not sure if you should have kids!!!! lol!

no, i have only gotten 4 letters from this forum. and like 60 views on the pics. so, out of 60 people who saw the pics, 4 have written a letter.

yes, it does help to know we are all trying together. the good thing is, it gets easier with time. and i constantly amaze myself every day at how "good" i am! winking smiley

Date: September 24, 2007 04:29AM

aha, Karen I just loaded a whole truck load of stuff and deposited it at the good will place. I have been contemplating getting rid of the nick nack things as well but first is the things that I don't see that are in the closets and hiding throughout the house. My one daughter who has a baby is moved out so that frees up loads of room. I am going to be searching for a job this week so things are going to change for me as well when I start work. I am trying to fill my mind with prayerfull thoughts throughout the day rather than a block of time in prayer. I am changing a lot and with that change the family has to follow. I think when we make any change the closest people to us will tend to test it disrupts things a bit. I am going through my own problems and emotional frusteration with the seperation. Any how I am still raw and happy to be. Life has never been better. At 49 yrs old I am looking at life in a whole different perspective. Have a good week, Karen, I hope you are encouraged with eating raw because you have been encourageing to me. Thanks

Date: September 24, 2007 04:40AM

Camille, I am so sorry you didn't get more letters... That really surprises me.

Is your mom still alive? Maybe you could talk to her about how your brother and you used to yell and how much you appreciate her...

----------------------------
Once again, I had too many veggies that I was afraid were going to go bad and I really didn't feel like a salad. So I put everything in the blender, including an avocado, and made a nice creamy green soup. I ate half of it today and will eat the rest tomorrow. It was like eating gaucomole, but I liked it.

My injections sites, for my insulin, are healing up better. I used to have a few black and blue spots and they are all gone. Now I only have a few tiny red pin prick spots.

Date: September 24, 2007 10:13AM

cool that your sites heal better now. nice to actually have results you can see, isnt it?

yes, i have talked to my mom about all of it. makes me cry. i sent her 2 dozen red roses and 12 chocalate dipped strawberries to her office last week for her birthday. but, it was just her luck, her airconditioning was messed up and she stayed home from work that day to wait for the repairmen. funny. she got them the next day though. lol! this sort of stuff is always happening to her.

i think i got tired of salads so much that this is why i kind of starting leaning more and more towards all fruits. your green soup sounds nice. i need to start getting more creative with my meals so that i will eat more and get more variety of nutrients. i think you have it right!!!

Date: September 24, 2007 07:32PM

Ah, you are a good daughter! I bet your mom really appreciates your thoughtfulness!
------------
You wouldn't believe what I put into that veggie salad, here goes - snow peas, cucumber, yellow squash, bell peppers, sweet peppers, tomatoes, escarole, romaine lettuce, celery, and avocado. I was afraid it would taste awful but it was great!

I did a colonic last night using my colema board. I watched a youtube video about enemas and was reminded about where and how to massage and turn on your right side. So I did that and, boy, did a lot come out!

This morning I weighed in at 100 pounds. I feel good. That is always the weight that I felt the best at.

Date: September 25, 2007 10:58AM

so glad you are at your ideal weight! i love that feeling! mine is 114 pounds but i have been wavering around 112 lately. i think it must be all the fruit.

your salad sounds really good. what is escarole?

Date: September 25, 2007 04:17PM

Escarole is another leafy green. [www.hormel.com]. I like it because it isn't as bitter as some.

Btw, it was definitely more of a creamy green soup than a salad -- bored with salads for now.

So, Camille, you feel you are 2 pounds underweight right now? I am afraid I might start going under my ideal weight also. But I hear that is usually temporary and you gain it back after detoxing. The fruit is probably helping you to detox, is that why you attribute the weight loss to the fruit?
-------------------
It is weird to look at my belly, where I inject my insulin, and not see any bruises. It kind of healed up all of a sudden.

It is nice having a defined neckline back. When I was 10 pounds or more than I am now, I had that old lady chin sag. Even at 5 pounds more than now, it was not as defined. It makes me feel better when I look in the mirror and not so old looking.

My blood sugars were good yesterday, in the 100s. I remember a story about one man with cancer who juiced and his labs got worse the first month. He took a break for one day and ate some solid food, then he juiced again for another month and his labs stayed the same. He took another break and then juiced for a third month and his labs got amazingly better and kept improving from then on until he was healed. I think sometimes it just takes a lot of patience. I and the environment have done a lot of damage to my body, and it may take a long time to see improvement.

My upper left back is hurting again. My pancreas is trying to come alive, maybe? My eyes got blurry yesterday, but are fine today. Maybe something healed?

I am looking forward to buying Matt Monarch's new book in the near future. I like what he has to say. Here is something from a recent email from him:

Matt Monarch
Many have heard me speak on How to go Raw. At the Raw Spirit Fest I am going to be giving an Advanced Raw Living Talk.

Based on the concepts in my new book Raw Success, here is the description of my talk:

It is true that many long-term Raw Vegans experience deficiencies, compromised health, and dental complications. Most Raw Pioneers are dying between the ages of 80 and 93. If the Raw Food Diet is really so amazing, why aren't we living decades longer than people who eat cooked food? This lecture is going to potentially blow your current conception of the raw food lifestyle to pieces and then re-arrange it into a pattern that serves you with years of vibrant, optimal living...

I will dive deep into the blood gas theory, which will give you a deep scientific understanding of:
• Why degenerative diseases are healed when adhering to a healthier diet
• Why the 100% Raw Food eater becomes very sensitive to cooked foods and other toxins
• Why frequent gas is experienced by those adhering to a healthier lifestyle
• Why the 100% Raw Food eater becomes a more in-tune machine to the Cosmic Spiritual energy
• Why 'yo-yoing' back and forth between a Raw Diet and a Cooked Diet can be an issue

Date: September 26, 2007 03:13AM

hello ladies

it's nice to take a few minutes and catch up on your posts. karen i do occasionally go high after i get up in the morning, i don't know why just glad it's not often. i'm glad to see your bruises are gone...i get that sometimes but usually when i hit a blood vessel by mistake...fortunately i'm a big guy...200 lbs so i have a little to grab when taking my shot. pihourova. i'm sorry you didn't get more response but don't get discouraged...it may not matter to a lot of people but i know it matters to that little monkey. rmember it's not always enough to do what's best, it's more important to do what's required.

all my best to you
charlie

Date: September 26, 2007 03:52AM

You are only 100 pounds now? I cant await till I get down closer to my ideal weight. I don't have a tripple chin now. my hands are thinner now ant the skin is tightening up on my hands. I burned my finger a while back and I was surprised that it healed the next day. I wish my teeth would heal. Now that would be something to talk about. rejuvenating teeth from eating raw foods. Life is good raw isnt it, karen. It sounds like you are doing real good.

Date: September 26, 2007 07:49PM

hello! thanks for your encouraging words, charlie!

yes, karen, i do think it is the fruit. but i have started having some sprouts with green onions. its a very bulgarian dish for the winter. one of my favs! i am discovering it again! i dont mind being underweight. its just that i dont feel so good sometimes. and before, i was like a ball of energy. so hopefully, adding sprouts and some other things will help.

does it scare you when your eyes go blurry or is that just something that people with t1d have to deal with?

so cool to heal up like you have. makes you feel immortal i bet!!! so glad to see your progress. i always look forward to reading what is new with you.

Date: September 26, 2007 09:48PM

Thanks, charlie, for letting me know that your bs sometimes goes up high in the morning also for no reason.

Feels good, doesn't it pampam, to get more of a neckline and say goodbye to the extra chin? I mean, I used to look in the mirror and it just didn't look like me anymore, you know? I'm starting to recognize myself again. ;-) I thought I read once that someone's teeth rejuvenated on a raw diet, but I can't remember now who it was or if they were juicing or not. Do you juice or just smoothies?

That recipe sounds interesting, Camille. What kind of sprouts do you use - alfalfa or others? Victoria Boutenko said in her book that she craved onions for awhile and learned later that was because her body needed them to help detox something. Your energy level is low? Hopefully that is a detox and goes away soon. Keep me posted on how you are doing.

My eyes going blurry doesn't scare me anymore, it used to. And they only get slightly blurry - like I can still see to work and drive okay but the words on the TV guide on the TV are a little blurry. Nowadays, I figure something is healing and I am preventing the usual eye complications from diabetes.

It is a good feeling to look down and not see any bruises on my belly. But Charlie may be right, it may be that I haven't hit a blood vessel in awhile (by luck) and so it could get bruised looking again if I hit one on my next injection.
-------------------

Lately I have been skipping breakfast and taking 1 1/2 bananas and some other fruit with me to work. No citrus or pears, they don't work for me. I give my daughter 1/2 banana, that's why I take 1 1/2. I am still eating some nuts, but less of them. I don't like them as much as I used to. I definitely got burned out on those raw cookies I ordered and I will not order anymore. They were good to help during transition though. I still do not like olives and have not bought any for awhile, they used to be a favorite. I still buy and eat an occasional raw bar. Then I eat my greens at night, lately mostly smoothies. I used to eat a banana dipped in raw chocolate fairly often too, but I eat one about once a week now. I think my body is becoming less acid and craving less of the acidic foods and wanting more akaline foods - which are the fruits and veggies of course.

Date: September 27, 2007 07:19PM

I took my daughter to work out the night before last and we both enjoyed it. She used the treadmill and weights. I just used the treadmill for the entire hour and it felt good. It makes for a late evening and I can't check on my son's homework as closely when we do this, but I figure our fitness is important too so I am going to try to not worry about it. Everything will work itself out.

I like Shazzie's response to people who ask her if she's had to give up a lot to eat a raw food diet - "I've had to give up weight-watching, mediocrity, depression, bad joints, bad eyesight, confusion, tiredness, hours in the kitchen, carbs addiction, a high risk of cancer and other western ailments -- it's endless."

That is a great way to look at it and a great way to answer that question!

On the other hand, I also like this quote I found the other day - "Managing diabetes is like trying to figure out how much air you need to breathe everyday" Author Unknown

Ain't it the truth?

Date: September 27, 2007 08:20PM

great quotes, karen! especially the one about diabetes. gives someone like me an insight into what you have to go through. nice to see you gravitating towards just simple fruit and veggies. hopefully i am just detoxing. i think i just lost too much weight. working on that. easy to gain weight, for me anyway! lol!!!

the sprouts are usually lentil mixed with other types of bean sprouts. usually just whatever i have. if i were in bulgaria it would be garbanza bean sprouts. or chick pea sprouts i think they are more commonly called. plus tons of olive oil, green onions, and sometimes dill if i have it.

Date: September 28, 2007 03:11PM

that is perhaps the best quote describing diabetes i have ever read.

i had an interesting experience the other day. it was cooler out and i decided to have lunch out and i chose soup and a cheese bun...poor choices but i was craving something warm...anyway almost as soon as i finished i knew i had made a mistake as my stomach felt like i had eaten lead balls for lunch...it took about two hours for that feeling to pass...just one more reminder of how good i feel on raw. basically i stay with a smoothie for breakfast (sometimes i use my juicer), fresh fruit for lunch and a big salad for supper. another side benefit is that i used to have awful stomach cramps on a regular basis with my old SAD diet but never on raw.

cheers all
make it a great weekend.

Date: September 28, 2007 07:19PM

I'm glad you two liked those quotes. I thought that quote about diabetes was particularly good.

I hope you are just detoxing too, Camille. Enjoy your sprouts! Well, I guess I don't have to worry about becoming underweight as I gained two pounds back and I'm now at 102 - which is fine.

I know exactly what you mean, Charlie. I have eaten cooked food after being raw for awhile and it just sat there like a lead balloon in my stomach and felt awful. But we learn from those times and it gets us back on track. Thanks for sharing so I know that I'm not the only one who has experienced that. I eat very similar to you - fruit at lunch and salad for supper or sometimes I reverse the two. I don't usually eat breakfast, but sometimes I do eat a midmorning snack of a banana.
----------------
My work group went out to eat at Sweet Tomatoes and I had a huge, huge salad of lots of wonderful veggies and saw they had an oil with herbs in it so I tried that for my dressing. It was really good! My bs has been in the 100s today and a little below, so I have felt great all day.

I am less tired when I walk up and down stairs or walk to a different building for lunch. I am having some drainage down my throat today. My eyes have cleared up their latest blurriness.

I just want to mention in my journal that I am taking some supplements. I take 2,000 units a day of Vitamin D as recommended by my doctor. But I am also taking others that I bought before switching to raw, just to use them up. For example, I am taking a rounded teaspoon of a powdered Vitamin C 2 or 3 times a day in water right now. I think it has made me go to the bathroom a lot (bms), but that is a good way to detox so that's okay.

Date: September 30, 2007 07:08AM

For some reason I am feeling a little down today. So then I ate too many nuts and felt more down. After these nuts are gone, I am not buying anymore except the kind in the shells. Those are harder to overeat on.

But I'm not going to worry about it, it's a phase I will get through. My life feels so stagnated right now and I want it to change. But I guess I am waiting for someone else to change it. It looks like it will have to be me that changes it. And that is so scary. Maybe I am overeating on nuts because I don't want to go to the next level. That's my deep thoughts for the day. ;-)

But there are good things too. I took my daughter to a Les Miserables play today. Those high school students sure could sing!

Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables