Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
100% Raw...Day 1...Again!
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 02, 2007 03:47PM

Two months ago I said to myself, "I'm going raw" First it was 50%...80%...100%...oops= I ATE SOMETHING COOKED.

So I started over.

Then I was eating too much raw...then too much fat...then I tried 80/10/10...oops= I ATE SOMETHING COOKED. Starting over again. This has been my up and down journey for the last two months...losing weight...gaining weight....it all makes me dizzy. I think my body is so totally confused, wondering,"WHAT IS GOING ON HERE???"

So...I'm starting this journal to try and attempt one thing and one thing only...100% raw, no matter what. I'm going to eat what I want, when I want it and I'm not going to go to bed hungry anymore. I'm going to listen to my body and see what it tells me. I will never know the results of 100% raw if I don't do this. I'm going to watch the fat, but not be a slave to 10%.

The longest I have lasted on 100% raw is 6 days. Today is Day 1 AGAIN. I will honestly post what I am eating, what I am exercising, and my weight results and my feelings about the process. I know I can do this as long as I don't gain weight. Weight loss is what worries me as I still have about 40lbs to lose, but I'm going to try and not obsess about it.

So here I go...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 100% Raw...Day 1...Again!
Posted by: Inaia ()
Date: August 02, 2007 03:58PM

Hi sweetie. I can relate to your journey and right now I feel stable and good. I highly recommend the following podcasts that I listen to on iTunes: Raw Vegan Radio and Rawkin Radio. I get lots of motivation and answers to many questions about how to get this diet to work for me.

BTW, I answered your question that you asked on my journal. smiling smiley

Hang in there. Be patient with yourself and keep tweaking. You WILL find the right balance for you if you do this and read and talk to other raw fooders. smiling smiley
All the best to you! smiling smiley

www.inaia.com

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: August 02, 2007 04:02PM

Congrats on trying again! I am on my fourth or fifth try myself - I've lost count. ;-) One month so far this time.

Look at it this way though, you learned a lot from those previous tries and, in particular, you have learned two important things: 1) listen to your body - we are all different 2) don't go hungry - the hunger sets off cravings for cooked foods.

Consider this your transitional raw food diet maybe, like I am, and don't worry about making it perfect. I still enjoy raw chocolate, raw bars, and raw olives for example right now -- but they keep me going. I don't eat them everyday, but I do look forward to them and when you live in a house with cooked food eaters and have to cook for them and buy at Taco Bell for them -- these treats help.

So, welcome back to raw food!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 02, 2007 04:31PM

hehe welcome to journal section tongue sticking out smiley weve all been where you are ! dont sweat it ... !

=D

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 02, 2007 06:02PM

Inaia...thanks for the tip on the radio shows. I will definately check them out! As for everyone else...thanks for the welcome and encouragement. I feel like I'm really putting myself out there to be journaling, but I'm going to be honest and hopefully learn through the journey...and it's sure nice to know that others have been where I am and have moved forward.

Date: August 03, 2007 01:47AM

Well, I had an amazingly satisfying day. I walked 5 miles and then had a green smoothie for breakfast. For lunch I made an avocado dip that I ate with veggies. It was so delicious and filling. For a snack I had some raw carrot cake that I made the other day. I was so full I didn't even eat dinner. It was nice not worrying about the % of fat...just eating what I wanted and feeling suprisingly satisfied. I wasn't tempted at all to eat anything non raw. I guess the clincher will be what the scale says in the morning. Hopefully, I didn't over do it with the fats.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 03, 2007 03:00AM

How did you make your raw carrot cake? Walking 5 miles thats great. I can't wait till I do that. keep up the good work
pam

Date: August 03, 2007 01:03PM

The carrot cake is an Alissa Cohen recipe. It was the first book I got when I started raw because I didn't know much about raw foods and the recipes sounded like cooked. I'll post the recipe below. My hubby who eats SAD, really loved it and so did a girlfriend I shared it with. In fact, she asked for an extra slice to take to her office to share with a group there. As for the walking, when I started out in Dec. of last year, I couldn't walk 1/4 of a mile without chest pains. I've done it a little at a time and gradually increased. I leave the house at 6am and really enjoy it.

Carrot Cake

Cake:
7 carrots ( I used 4 cups shredded)
1 cup walnuts
1 cup dates, pitted and soaked
3/4 cup raisins, soaked 1 hour
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp nutmeg

1. Blend carrots in food processor. Set aside
2. Blend walnuts until fine, add to carrots..
3. Process dates until smooth. Add spices and blend well.
Add to carrot a& walnut mixture. Blend until smooth.
4. Mix in raisins.
5. Place in pie or cake pan.

Frosting:
3 TB raw honey
3 TB orange juice
1 c cashews, soaked

1. Blend all frosting ingredients and spread the frosting over the cake.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Enjoy!

Date: August 03, 2007 04:14PM

It's 100% raw day 2 for me and I'm pumped. I had a totally awesome day yesterday because I ate when I was hungry, ate what I wanted and felt full and satisfied...and I lost .8 lbs. I was a little concerned because I know I ate more fat (vaocado & nuts) that what I was previously eating... and I usually average between .4 and .6 a day so that was great. I know now that I can do 100% raw as long as I eat and don't deprive myself of great whole foods. I just came back from my walk and my cupboard is bare so after a smoothie and a shower I'm off to the market.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 03, 2007 06:39PM

Hi islandgirl,

What you're doing now has worked for me, so I'm glad you're giving it a try.

I eat a lot of fruit, but I also eat a small amount of a variety of raw fat (usually from whole sources like nuts, seeds, and avos) usually 2 or 3 times a day. It keeps me from overeating; and most importantly, it keeps me RAW! I think it's because in addition to the fat, there are a lot of important nutrients in nuts and seeds that are harder to get from just fruits and veggies. But it's possible too that our bodies need some fat for proper metabolism.

I've also found that exercise is essential. Go islandgirl! It looks to me like you're definitely on the right path!

Date: August 03, 2007 09:49PM

Thanks Suncloud for the confirmation. I'm amazed at how eating a little (good) fat keeps me full and satisfied. I'm believing that I have finally found the nitch to making this way of life do-able, enjoyable and succcessful.

Date: August 04, 2007 03:10PM

Thanks for the carrot kake recepe it sounds real yummey.

I have been raw for six weeks now and just let myself eat anythiing and everything that was raw. I don't think I over ate but I really want to lose weight and I think that motivates me and also how I feel while being raw.

Date: August 04, 2007 04:08PM

I know the psychological aspect is strong. In July, I was eating only fruit...enjoying the fruit, but getting bored with it and feeling somewhat deprived. I think because the fruit digests from the system in about 20 minutes, I was ALWAYS hungry. I felt like all I ever thought about was food and being hungry and Iw as eating fruit all day long. I was trying to do the 811 thing, carefully measuring every fat, carb and protein, I felt like I was always obsessing, which was miserable. Even with that, I was blowing it almost every night at dinner...eating tortillas, chips, rice, pasta. Each day I would resolve to stay raw and blow it every night because I was so hungry and felt deprived.

Well, today is day 3 of being back to 100% raw and I've been eating when I want and what I want. The weird thing is I haven't been hungry. I can't get over how full and satisfied I feel...and I'm hardly thinking about food because I know its there and I can have it if I want it. The mind is just such a complex thing! I am always amazed at how we can change the way we feel by changing the way we think!

Anyway...yesterday I had a really good day. I had a fruit smoothie for breakfast, a Lara bar and a Fruit Strip for a snack (I was out shopping), a fruit smoothie when I got home. I couldn't finish it...I just wasn't hungry so I had the rest of it later in the evening. When my husband came home I had a salad with walnuts and avacado dressing I made and about 6 flax seed crackers.

Again this morning, my weight was down .8 lb. So that's two days in a row of going down .8 This morning I weighed what I weighed last Fri. which is great because I finally got off what I gained over last weekend (2.6lbs). So I lost a week of weight loss progress, but I"m back on the wagon and back to losing. If that rate of loss continues, that would be over 5 lbs in a week which is more than what I had hoped for. Any loss over 2 lbs a week is good for me.

Last night I tried making some dehydrated corn chips. They're not done yet. The consistency seems right, but the flavor is a little different. They're good...but not doritoes! so I need to work on the spices a little. I also made my first raw cookie without a recipe. I've always been a slave to recipes...doing things exactly like it tells you. But I stepped outside of the box and tried to create my own based on a cookie I had last week at a raw food restaurant. I used white figs, apple, cinnamon and little agave and they came out really yummy. I flattened the dough into cookies and dehydrated them over night and they came out just perfect.

Today will be a challege being out and about with the family....except I'm so stoked about the way I feel I know I won't blow it. I think we're going to the movies to see "No Reservations" (a movie about a restuarant is sure to have a lot of food in it smiling smiley in addition to the smells of popcorn...I'll take some fruit in my purse... After the movie I think we're going for a walk at the beach. We always eat out so I'll take along my dressing for a salad wherever we end up going. I'll also be sure to put a Lara Bar and one of my raw cookies in my bag to take along.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 04, 2007 05:05PM

I know how you feel about starting over after such a good beginning. You are doing the best thing by jumping right back in though and that takes determination!

I'm with you..starting over again. I didn't feel hungry either on my 7 days of raw, but I started to feel agitated about some things going on with my life and I felt nervous and afraid..so I did eat to push them down.

I need a new way of dealing with my feelings..I used to just shout and rant and I try hard to not do that, but my son is wearing me down. But I have a new tactic to use with him!

He's going raw because I'm the one with money and I do the shopping, so I'm buying what I decide is best and that's all raw! If he wants more, he'll have to get a job, and do his own shopping!

Love,
Prism

Date: August 04, 2007 07:32PM

I like your determination Prism. Its funny...because at my house, my daughter and husband still eat SAD...but that's become pretty much only now when we go out. Because I'm doing the shopping and I don't feel selfish at all buying wholesome and healthy foods for them. If they're hungry, they'll eat what's here...and they do! My husband has started asking for my raw desserts. Ultimately its their choice as it is mine as to what to eat, but if they do want sto eat omething that's unhealthy, they have to go out and buy it themselves. So far...so good.

Date: August 05, 2007 07:24PM

Day 4 and I feel amazing. I wasn't even tempted at the movies yesterday, even with the smell of popcorn. I ate a banana with almond butter and a Lara Bar before I left and I was so full I didn't even want the snacks I had brought in my purse. This morning I was down 1 lb. It continues to amaze me that I can lose weight when I feel full and satisfied. Breaking free of the obsession with food and the constant worry about what I was eating feels so good. I continue to just eat what my body wants and it is really working. Every day that goes by I am more and more convinced that being 100% is the only way for me to go. Even the little bit of cooked food I was eating previously was wrecking my results. I guess I'm just an all or nothing gal, so diving into the deep end was the best way to learn to swim.

Date: August 05, 2007 09:42PM

Good for you! I am doing well too..after my 3 day binge of junk, but glad to be back to high raw. I say high raw because I do have one little cheat in case I feel like binging and end up eating so many things not raw..the one thing will keep me high raw at least.

I've been cutting on my hair..trying to get the blonde gone..it's short and I like it short..I made my bangs too short though..but oh well..looks like my natural hair is still dark with hardly a grey hair. I'm going to let it all grow out natual and see if I can't get hair like a native Hawaiian Island girlsmiling smiley Now that would be a miraclesmiling smiley

I'm so glad you are going to see about your painful tooth. I'll chant for you to find just the right dentist! You might check out a website [mizar5.com]

I bought the book, Money by the Mouthful and it was pretty interesting about dental health.

Love,
Prism

Date: August 06, 2007 12:54PM

Thank you for the warm thoughts...but I think its pampam with the bad tooth problem smiling smiley

If your hair grows in dark like an island girl...since I'm blonde, maybe we should switch screen names!

Date: August 06, 2007 05:25PM

How'd I mess up on that! LOL! Sorry about that Island Girl! I must have had 2 windows open when I was posting.

Are you a natural blonde? I was bleaching mine and I love blonde hair, but it needed to get done every 6 weeks, and it does get tiresome and I would like to see what my natural color looks like now. I am hoping to resist coloring it, but I might end up with a light weave of blonde.

Love,
Prism

Date: August 06, 2007 10:33PM

Yeah...a natural blonde...and all the blonde jokes that go with it. One time I put two contacts in the same eye, but didn't know it and took the sink apart looking for my new contact lense which I hopelessly couldn't find. So after putting the sink pipes back together I resolved to take out the one contact only to find the other one there too. I once sat in line at a drive thru teller only to realize after about five minutes that the outside teller lines were no longer operational and had been turned into extra bank parking. Shall I go on...Actually, I dye my hair because I am completely white now, but at 47 I'm not ready to look old. I do it myself, but its still a hassle.

Date: August 06, 2007 10:42PM

Day 5 today...still totally 100% raw. Looking back over the past 2 months, I would say that staying 100% this time (so far)is much easier than being any percentage less than that. Previously when I ate even a little cooked food I was fighting cravings and felt hungry / deprived all the time. I just haven't experienced it this time around. It feels so good and so far, I haven't been tempted to eat cooked, even over the weekend. My key has been to stay full and to make sure I never leave the house without a raw snack in my purse. Last night I made another raw dessert, key lime pie. The recipe is heavy on nuts, but they don't seem to be bothering me or affecting my weight so I'm enjoying it and my husband is too! I was down .4 lbs today...that's 3 lbs in 4 days. I'm really pleased with that. I had a healthy serving of flax seed this morning after my 6 mile walk so I'm anxious to see if it affects my weight. I love that it is high in omegas, but previously was worried about the "fat". I ground 1/4c of flax seed, mixed with a little olive oil and water and made a pancake. Then topped it with bananas and nectarines. It was oh so good and I wasn'te ven hungry at lunch time. I snacked on a little fruit late afternoon and tonight will have a salad. I'm excited about my goal. Previously the longest I had been raw was 6 days and tomorrow will be day 6. When this part of my life is in control, the rest of my life seems more under control. I will be starting school again at the end of the month, so I need to be well settled into my eating routine so stress doesn't become an issue. As long as I continue to pack raw snacks, I think I'll be fine.

Date: August 07, 2007 08:07AM

Island girl, I was rolling on the floor laughing about the contact thing. I am happy to read about your progress. Is'nt it nice to not worry about food and still lose weight? I love eating raw foods. I want to try your deserts. they sound so yummey. I am going to have to get some goodies made also. Its like a new adventure in prepareing the foods.

Prisim, Thanks for the chants and good thoughts. I to was praying the other night about the tooth and today I felt a bit better and did'nt have to use the pain reliever. I wish teeth regenerated their selves like other parts of our body do. Only for a miricle.

Keep up the great work Island girl I enjoyed reading your diary
pam

Date: August 07, 2007 03:54PM

Thanks Pam...

I believe in miracles! I've had them happen in my life so I know they can happen for others. I have a strong personal belief in Jesus Christ and believe that with God, all things are possible!

Day 6 and I feel really good today. My weight was down again .4, which with all the flax seed I ate yesterday, I am happy with that. I ate some raw edemame beans last night and they made me really sick to my stomach. No more of that. I have always loved them and have eaten them raw before, but this time they just didn't settle. I wanted some of the key lime pie I had made, but just couldn't stomach eating anything after those beans. So I don't think I had enough calories yesterday...but oh well.

My daughter is gone to camp this week so the house is quiet and I am home alone. I hope to get some projects done this week while she is gone because we start back into home schooling next Monday. We are starting a little early this year because she wants to finish up by the first week of May when I graduate from grad school, at which time we will be moving from CA back east. I will be applying for a PhD program at Clemson Univ in Clemson, SC this fall, but I won't find out if I have been accepted until about March or April. I am really hoping to go to Clemson...I found out their agri dept. has a farmer's market on campus every week. How cool is that! And I'm ready to get out of the rat race of CA and back to a more simple life in the south.

I am really happy with my weight loss this week and hope to be down another 2.4 lbs by Friday when I go to weigh in at weight watchers. That will make me eligible to go through their training to be a WW leader. I've always wanted to do that (personal goal) and be able to help and encourage others in their weight loss journey...give back a little. Anyway, just a personal goal.

Date: August 08, 2007 03:07PM

Day 7...I made it one week, 100% and surpassed my previous goal. YEAH! My weight loss for the week was 3.4 lbs which was great. I've noticed that my the longer into the week I went the slower my weight loss got and I didn't lose any since yesterday. It makes me wonder if perhaps I'm not eating enough and my body is hanging onto the weight. I just haven't been very hungry. I will feel hungry and try to eat, but then after a few bites, I feel really full again. This is what I ate yesterday:

grapes 3/4 of a large bag
2 bananas w/ almond butter
2 nectarines
1/4 pineapple
2 c marinated mushrooms (YUM!)
1c left over blueberry smoothie

I"m still trying to figure out photobucket and get my picture in here. I uploaded a picture of my daughter and I. It's the only recent picture I have. Here is the link...I can't seem to figure out how to get the picture itself. Oh well...I'll work on it.

[s185.photobucket.com]

Date: August 08, 2007 03:08PM

well...I can't figure it out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2007 03:08PM by islandgirl.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: August 08, 2007 05:10PM

Try using this URL for you image:

[i185.photobucket.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 08, 2007 05:52PM

[ img]http://www.living-foods.com/images/livingfoods.gif[/img]

the above tag is what you need ... where it says the [www] etc etc part between the 2 smiling smiley so it looks like this [ img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x65/islandgirl1642/TamTeresa-1.jpg" class="bbcode" border="0" />

then remove the extra space at the beginning of [ img] to look like

an it will look like this

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2007 05:54PM by Jgunn.

Date: August 08, 2007 08:47PM

Thank you Jodi...although I have no idea what you said up there, but the end result is good. I'll copy your directions and try again later with another picture.

I went to the eye doctor today for my check up and new prescription. The doc said my astigmatism has IMPROVED! I said, I didn't know that could happen. I've had glasses since I was 19. It has to be attributed to the raw foods! While this is very encouraging, I am struggling today, craving everything in sight. So far I haven't given in, but I'm surprised to be having these cravings after a week of being 100%.

Date: August 09, 2007 12:43AM

Well...I'm feeling better. I was gone from the house all day, so maybe I just got too hungry. Now that I've eaten and few hours have passed, I feel okay with no cravings. Here is what I ate today:

Fruit Smoothie (2 bananas, 1 c blueberries, hemp protein, carob)
1 nectarine
1 Rawrevolution Bar ( I think that was its name)
1 avocado
mock salmon pate (this was great and very easy to make)
raw keylime pie

I don't feel like I ate much fruit today because I drank it. I really wanted something salty so the avocado & mock salmon took care of that and right now I feel really satisfied.

Here is the recipe for the mock salmon pate if anyone is interested from Alissa Cohen
:
2 c walnuts
2 stalks of celery
1 large red bell pepper
1 large scallion
1/2 - 1 tsp sea salt

Blend all in food processor until creamy. Refrigerate. Easy & Delicious!

Date: August 09, 2007 12:54PM

Feeling good today...better than yesterday, but its early. Weight down 1 lb which is good since I stayed the same yesterday. I don't think hit my goal by tomorrow but I certainly will next week. In another 1.2 lbs I'll have lost 50 lbs. I haven't been at this weight since 1995 when I was taking Fen-phen (another ugly chapter in my life). Thank God I never had any of those heart valve problems because of it. I'm off to take my walk...

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables