Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: 100% Raw...Day 1...Again!
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 17, 2007 05:26PM

I'm near the back gate of Camp Pendleton, I"m on Avenida Descanso. Where do you live Islandgirl?

Oh..I've been dreaming about pizza for a month..and while I've eaten other cooked foods, I haven't given in to pizza. It's really ugly when I start eating pizza! Hahaha..oh my god..we are ONLY humansmiling smiley

There are some foods that are better left alone for me..and the number one is Corn Kurls..yes, sadly I was adicted to those before raw foods. I remember the bad old days.

Love,
Prism

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 17, 2007 07:16PM

I don't know what corn curls are...but I bet they're about as healthy as carrot cake! We live in Laguna Niguel, but our church is in San Juan Capistrano. I didn't know you were so close. We moved here a year ago ( I go to school in Costa Mesa) and will move on next May as I'm hoping to get admitted to a PhD program next fall, but won't know until March or April.

Do you ever venture out to any of the raw food restaurants? I've found a new one I really like. Its a little pricey, but everything there is GREAT. It's called "118 Degrees" in Costa Mesa.

Date: August 17, 2007 08:55PM

I've never been to a raw food restaurant. We have Cilantro's in Carlsbad though. I wouldn't mind trying their desserts..or maybe a raw pizza. I've been to enough raw food potlucks to know that many of the items I don't like much, especially when it's trying to mimic something like pizza.

Corn Curls are those cheesy twisty crunchy cheetos..oh yeah...they are called Cheetos..I call them corn curls for some reason.

I'm going to have a lot of cantaloup today since I bought 4 of them, they are orange like Cheetos..but very juicy and sweet.

Love,
Prism

Date: August 17, 2007 10:54PM

Do you have raw potlucks in your area? There are none here. The first raw food restaurant I went to was in Huntington Beach. It was called Good Mood Food Cafe. That is where I had my first raw pizza. It was really good. At 118 Degrees, they raw tamales (yum) and this hemp quesadilla that I just love. However, I like my raw desserts better than any I have tasted out, especially the cheesecake recipe I got from perbetty.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 18, 2007 06:14AM

jeez, you two are makeing me salivate. I havent been to a raw potluck nore a raw restarant I would love to just meet a raw eater in person. I have found that there are some resterants in seattle yet that is about 50 miles away and I hate to drive into seattle due to all the traffic. Tacoma is closer but I have not heard of any raw groups there. I am sure there are people out there yet don't know how to find them. I have tried some search thing on line yet only seattle pops up.

There are so many hormones that effect us during our cycle time and it causes stress. When we are under stress I think we tend to gravitate towards comforting things and mostly food.
I still think you are doing so well. Don't you think? You went so long eating raw foods and made some great sounding deserts to boot. I can't wait to try them myself

Date: August 18, 2007 05:51PM

Yes pam, I try to look at the overall picture. I started on raw June 1, in varying degrees, but for most of that time I would say I was high raw. I know that during this "time" of the month I am usually very hungry and full of cravings. Even though I am not 100%, I am still eating vegan and much healthier than I ever have in my entire life... and not only my eating, but also the daily exercise that I am getting. I only take Sundays off from exercise, and have been doing that since Dec.

I've read the article about how some women on raw don't have their period anymore. They still have some sort of cycle, but no bleeding. I would love that to happen to me! At 47, I'm surely not that far removed from menopause. This month has been very different from previous months, so its hard to say if what is going on is my age or my diet or both. WHATEVER...its a bit stressful not knowing what to anticipate. Yesterday I experimented with raspberry tea. It took away my cramps which was great. I feel pretty energized today, even though I blew it last night with 2 slices of veggie pizza...deep dish, no less! I really need to get back to striving for 100% by incorporating more things into my diet so my palate isn't bored. I need to make some raw alternatives to what I'm craving, I've just been really lazy and tend to reach for the simple stuff.

Since it's Sat., our family always goes out exploring or rambling about. I can probably get my husband to take me to a raw food restaurant today. There are so many in the LA area, its amazing.

School starts for me in one week. I will probably not be posting much...if at all! I will try to check in daily, but I can't promise because I really have to be careful with my time. I go full time, so there is rarely enough time in any day to get everything done I need to do...much less what I want to do.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Date: August 19, 2007 02:48PM

Yesterday was lovely. My husband took me to a raw food restaurant in Santa Monica (Juliano's) and it was fantastic. My hubby isn't raw and he loved it! Then we spent the rest of the afternoon walking Venice Beach. I was so full and thought I would lose some weight. I walked over 10 miles yesterday, but my weight is still up today. I am still PMSing and hope that is part of the weight gain. Dewey suggested taht I throw my scale out. I'm not quite ready to do that but would like to someday. I will try and not weight for one week though and see what happens.

Here's what I ate yesterday:
Breakfast: Smoothie ( 1 c kale, 1 c spinach, 2 bananas, 1/2 pineaple)
Snack: 4 dates stuffed with almonds
Lunch: Juliano's Raw Restaurant " Deep dish pizza (OUT OF THIS WORLD), 1/2 of an avocado, onion, tomatoe "sandwhich" on buckwheat raw bread
Snack: trail mix (1/4 c sunflower seeds, 1/4 c pumpkin seeds, 1/4 c raisins, 1/4 shredded coconut)
Dinner: BLEW IT! cheese & onion quesadilla w/ guacamole (I don't know why I ate this... I wan't even hungry, but when the hubby stopped to eat...I ate too. At least it was really small and thin)

I woke up this morning (Sunday) with congestion and a cough. Probably from the cheese. I'm not feeling like eating, but I'm having some Hazlenut Teechino. For some reason it tastes like mushrooms to me. It's really hot here but I'm resisting turning on the air conditioner to save money.

Date: August 19, 2007 04:13PM

Was Juliano there? Sounds like a perfect day for you and hubby!

I think you are doing great, and the weight might be in stall right now, but all of a sudden you probably will drop 5 lbs. It's been hot and it could be water retention.

I go by my clothes, I swear I'm not going into any larger sizes, and even for me I have a limit on what I will cheat with because if my pants or shirts get tight..I cut back on the calories no matter what food it is.

You might try upping your exercise routine to something like a 10 minute arobic routine at home..or just dance hard for those 10 minutes, or do a boxing routine for 10 minutes..maybe as a warm up before your walk?

You are doing way better than me...heck if I should dispense advicesmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2007 04:13PM by Prism.

Date: August 20, 2007 12:42AM

No, Juliano was not there. In fact, one thing that was funny (and I don't meant this in a racial way at all...it is a California thing), all the food prep was being done by Mexicans. I asked my husband if he thought they were raw or if they ate their tortillas and beans when they went on break. If you live in CA, you'll understand...

Topday I am feeling quite SWELL!!! I do think the heat and water retention is an issue. I'm blaming it all on PMS and can't wait to get past this and back to normal. I am just not myself. I do know my "cheating" isn't really that bad, but I do want to get back to being more raw than not. I also think when school starts in a week, it will be a little easier because I'll be back in a routine. That has always helped me stay on track. My classes are all at night so there is no opportunity for grazing.

This morning I woke up with a cough. I really don't have any other symptoms and I'm not sure where it is coming from. My hubby has one too...just a cough. There seems to be something going around. I didn't make it to the market yesterday because we were gone all day so today there was nothing to eat. We had a green smoothie for breakfast but then went to Pollo Loco for lunch and AGAIN I had cheese & Onion quesadilla. I didn't feel good and just wanted something easy and fast. When we got home, the power was out so there wouldn't have been any food prep at the casa anyway. So I just went to bed for a nap. I had a few sunflower & pumpkin seeds with raisins and coconut and raspberry tea. That's it for the day.

Tomorrow will be a new day. I'll go to the market first thing and make sure the frig is stocked with good choices.

Date: August 20, 2007 07:46PM

I've decided that I need to keep the commitment towards 100% raw. Anything less than that gives me permission to cheat. I can't even say I've been tempted by cravings...just allowing myself to do whatever by the mentality that "high raw" is just as good as 100%. Well, I've felt discouraged and out of balance for the past week doing that. So today, I'm back to the 100% raw mentality and even though its only the first day, I already feel more in control and balanced. I went to the market and stocked up again on lots of fresh fruits and veggies so I'm in good shape.

It's interesting how my diet has influenced my family, yet I haven't forced it on them at all. THey are eating more and more "raw" although they don't call it that...and enjoying it. even my daughter this morning said that cooked food is starting to bother her and she wants to eat more raw with me. So there you go...

This will probably be my last week posting here as school is starting and I can't allow myself the time here. I just love reading everyone's posts and it ends up consuming a lot of my time. I'll have to play it by ear, but if this year is anything like last year, I barely have time to bathe...

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: August 20, 2007 07:56PM

I'm like you, some people seem to be able to eat high raw and do great. But it has to be all or nothing for me to be able to stick with it.

Who needs to bathe? Eating raw keeps us smelling so sweet. ;-)

We'll definitely miss you...

Date: August 21, 2007 03:15PM

We'll be here when you get time to post..you are wise to take the time off to devote to your studies. The computer can be as addicting as anything else.

Take care,

Love,
Prism

Date: August 21, 2007 03:28PM

Yesterday was a good day. I was in control of my eating and didn't get hungry. I was able to stay 100% raw. Here is what I ate:

3 oranges, juiced, before my 4 mile walk.
2 apples
green smoothie (kale, spinach, banana, &+ GREENS***
1 brazil nut
1 banana
1 zucchini w/ raw marinara
blueberry & banana smoothie

***I got this stuff at the market called Orac-Energy Greens to mix into my morning smoothie. It is a mix of organic alkalizing greens, organic berries, organic veggies, superfood concentrates, herbal adaptogens, and probiotics. One TB has 24 servings of fruits and veggies in it. I initially went looking for a powder or frozen wheatgrass since I can't go to the juice bar everyday for a shot. This has wheatgrass in it, plus all this other stuff. I was amazed at the burst of energy it gave me which lasted all day.

My "aunt" finally arrived today and I already feel much better...and my weight was down a little (1.6).

Date: August 22, 2007 07:02PM

I had a good day yesterday, although I was battling cramps all day. I got some homeopathic stuff that I took throughout the day, along with raspberry tea. I was able to stay 100% raw...here is what:

Green Smoothie (2, banana, 1 c kale, 1 c spinach, 2 TB hemp, 1 c blueberries + 1TB super green supplement)
1 brazil nut
2 TB flax seeds ground over 3 nectarines
1 banana w/ 1 TB almond butter
lara bar
1 banana + 1 c raspberries smoothie
walked 4 miles / no weight change

Date: August 24, 2007 12:52AM

Great day yesterday...stayed 100% raw, although I was tempted a few times. The flax seed crackers and onion bread I made came out really good. The bread makes a great "sandwhich".

Here's what I ate:

Breakfast: Green smoothie (1 c kale, 1 c spinach, 2 bananas, 1 TB energy greens)
Snack: raw bar
Lunch: 3 nectarines, 1 brazil nut, 2 flax seed crackers, 1/2 avocado
snack: 1 fugi apple
Dinner: 1 banana, 1/2 pineapple smoothie

Didn't walk...had to take a test early in the am.
Weight down .4 oz ( I am still up 2.4 from my cooked binge last week)

Date: August 24, 2007 03:09PM

Is that onion bread raw? What does it have in it and where did you get the recipe? Do you have an Excalibur dehydrator?

Date: August 24, 2007 04:22PM

Yes, the onion bread is raw. I got the recipe from someone on this forum. It turned out a little saltier than I prefer so if I make it again, I would reduce the amount of Braggs. It doesn't get hard like the flax seed crackers...more of a toast consistency, although it is flat like a cracker. I do have an excalibur, 5 tray, which suits my needs just find. Here is the recipe.

Raw Onion Bread
3 large yellow onions
1 c flax seeds, ground
1 cup raw sunflower seeds, ground
1/2 cup Braggs or Nama Shoyu
1/4 cup cold pressed olive oil

Peel and half the onions. Slice in a food processor using the S blade. Place onions in a large bowl and mix with the rest of the ingredients until thoroughly combined. Spred mix over a Teflex sheet. This made enough for 2 trays. Dehydrate for 12 hours (at least). Cut into bread shaped slices.

Enjoy!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 24, 2007 04:25PM

islandgirl how is the rawdoggie doin smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 24, 2007 04:33PM

Thanks for the recipe, islandgirl!

Date: August 24, 2007 05:41PM

sure!

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: August 27, 2007 02:14AM

hey there islandgirl...well i have missed out on a lot being away for a while!! i was sad to be gone though ihadn't missed a day in all 7 months of being raw!! but i am back and excited to see new friends on the list of journals!! especially one so close to me!! yay...you are doing amazing i have just read your entire journal and you really are doing so great!!!
yay you....
i just tried pm'ing you but your inbox is full!! too many people want to say hello to yoU!!! but i had a serious question smiling smiley.....I was wondering if you knew of anyone or anywhere to rent in the area?? I am going to be working in Laguna Niguel and i start on tuesday..the place i was supposed to be renting from fell through and i am stranded and stressed...so i was hoping since you live in the area you might know of some good places or someone who might be looking to rent out a room or for a roomie!!! if you do please let me know...i would sooooo appreciate it!! i am a little stressed over this and very upset about the fall through of the place i had arranged!!
Anyways even if you don't knwo of any places i would love to get together and chat or meet up somehwere for a walk or lunch or something!! we are only a few minutes from one another! i am staying with a friend in dana point right now, but only for the next day and then i will be getting a hotel...she and her husband have guests coming into town....but let me know if you would like to meet up for lunch or something!!
my number is 619-339-6657
haha i don't mind if anyone else has it either i think most of the gals on here have it anyways!!
take care and keep up the awesome work
lots of love
earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables