Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 3 of 21
Re: committed to RAW
Posted by: optimist4life ()
Date: December 12, 2007 12:29PM

Good morning!

Meow, I totally agree with you. It is wonderful to have people to check in with every day :-). Great to stay consistent, get feedback, give/receive advice, etc. I think about you ladies if I am about to go off track, and remember that I will have to tell you if I eat bad stuff, so it helps me avoid it :-).

Meow, maybe you aren't getting enough calories? Protein? Have you been drinking enough water? Nauseated and dizzy is a bad sign. Maybe you simply aren't giving your body quite what it needs. You might want to consider adding green lemonade to your daily food schedule. It will be consistent with 811 and fill in any gaps of your nutrition. Also, be sure to eat greens! It doesn't look like you have been eating many greens, which are essential/great for calcium! Just some ideas. I hope the dizzy spell was a one-time thing, but maybe a good indication that you are missing something from your diet.

I just got back from 6am spinning :-). I was a bit tired today, so I didn't push myself as much as I like. However, even a wimpyish spinning class is better than a tough elliptical machine workout. As much as I like the elliptical machine, I feel like a slacker when I do it. I might go swimming in the afternoon if I am not too tired, and if the mood strikes me. Lately my body has really been feeling strong and toned! I love how I feel when I work out so hard and so consistently. People say that I am too hard-core, but it's good for me and I like it, so I am going to stick with it :-).

I realized that I have lots of whole fruit that I need to eat, so I will probably just have an apple or banana or both for breakfast along with a few nuts.

I made a big salad and cut up a bunch of veggies in a plastic bag for the day. I plan to eat those and munch on fruit throughout the day :-).

Looking forward to hearing from both of you!

Have a wonderful, raw day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2007 12:30PM by optimist4life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: apple430 ()
Date: December 12, 2007 01:06PM

Hi ladies!

Sorry I didnt post yesterday, things were crazy. I did eat raw but then I had a bit of a binge on non-raw foods sad smiley. That was SO incredibly frustrating, and I am almost embarrassed to admit it, but I want to feel like I can be completely honest and get no judgment on this forum.

I have had a bingeing problem in the past, when I was recovering from an ED that left me underweight, but now my weight is certainly restored to a healthy level, and I do feel completely ready to eat raw. I dont think that eating raw caused my binge, I think every once in a while I will still do this for purely emotional reasons. I think moving around every month with my current job and having new people constantly comment on my eating habits (like the family I'm living with now) really stresses me out. I shouldn't let it get to me but it does, so yesterday was one of the few days where no one was around to see me eat, and it was kind of a release for me. I also think sometimes I want to just lie around and do nothing, and when I'm eating raw I have too much energy for that. Sounds crazy, but stuffing my face with non raw food is probably the quickest way I know to make me lethargic and give me a reason to sleep, lol.

I am determined to not get upset over this though. Now that I have written it out it is gone from my body and thoughts, and today will be a wonderful raw day. I have all the ingredients for a green smoothie to drink after my run, and I am going out to dinner tonight to a very healthy restaurant so I can get a salad. Also, I go home on Thursday! SO CLOSE. My family does not comment or make me feel uncomfortable about my eating, so I am free to enjoy the raw lifestyle in peace.

Have a great day ladies, I'll try to update with my meals, and thanks for your support!

Date: December 12, 2007 01:20PM

Hi Apple:
I hear you completely! Had the same experience Sunday night. There is something about secret eating that feels so good and so bad at the same time. It is almost like your alter-ego takes over for a minute and overpowers your logical, healthy self. Don't worry about it. Like Meow once told me, if you fall off the wagon 100 times and get back on 101 times, you are triumphant. Don't let it get you down. Today is a brand new day!

I think one of the best ways to handle/prevent binge eating on bad food in secret is to anticipate what you plan to do if you feel the mood strike you. One thing that I have done that is really helpful -- brush teeth, drink a ton of water, and look at yourself in the mirror. Ask yourself -- do I really want to do this? Likely the urge to binge will dissipate if you just give yourself a moment of pause.

Don't get down on yourself at all. Remember, each time we fall off of the wagon, we learn something new about ourselves and our eating habits. You have been doing great, don't worry about this tiny and temporary bump in the road.

Looking forward to your update tonight :-)

Date: December 12, 2007 02:42PM

Well, now I am at school with a whole day of studying Crim Pro ahead of me. This is so monotinous and boring! Argh! I guess nobody ever said that lawschool was a walk in the park. However, soon...so soon I will be done with the semester!

Food so far:
-banana, pear, 20 raw soaked almonds, about 30 grapes (yum, but a bit too sweet for me now that I haven't been eating sugar).
I brought a TON of veggies, so I think I am going to see how I feel if I just eat veggies the rest of the day. Will keep you updated

Date: December 12, 2007 05:31PM

Wow, thank you optimist, I really, really appreciate your support and non-judgment! GOOD LUCK on your exams!

It is amazing how one day of bad eating makes me feel so crappy, and then one day of pure, healthy, raw food, can nearly reverse that feeling. I got up and went for a 50 minute run with a few walk breaks, then did pilates...and then ate a large brunch around 10am consisting of:

Brunch: pineapple, strawberry, banana, and romaine smoothie, a few raw macadamia nuts (I love these), and one spoonful of tahini.

I also just got to work and they are having a teacher luncheon. I wasnt hungry but did not want to deal with "you're not eating" comments so I filled my plate with salad and a little oil/vinegar on top.

Tonight I am going out to dinner so it will be a very healthy salad...I'm so excited to try this health food/raw friendly restaurant!

Date: December 12, 2007 08:49PM

Sounds like you are right back on track, Apple! I think as long as you get right back on track, one episode of cooked food isn't going to jeopardize your raw efforts. Glad to hear you are feeling better!!

No swimming today -- spinning class this am was enough for me.

Today for lunch I had a BIG salad (lettuce, baby spinach, carrots, celery, peppers, onions, sprouts, flax seeds, a bit of oil and vinegar) + about 20 grapes.

I am SO full and it is already 4pm. Will probably just munch on those cut up vegetables for dinner if I am hungry in a few hours. Just as long as I don't eat much past 8pm!

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2007 09:02PM by optimist4life.

Posted by: meow ()
Date: December 12, 2007 09:07PM

hi girls! wow, i can't keep up w/ you two! i've been to busy to check in much, but sooooon i have an 11-day break! wahoo!

apple, i think it's great that you were completely honest w/ us (and most importantly w/ yourself!). and you know what, slip-ups happen. no one is perfect, and there is no such thing as a perfect diet anyway. all we can do is keep going on the right path, and that doesn't mean we're never allowed to stop along the way or get a bit detoured! at any rate, you have clearly overcome a lot with your ED in the past and one binge means nothing as long as you don't let it mean anything!

so i have been getting the "you're not eating enough, are you anorexic? are you sure this is healthy?" comments from everyone including coworkers, family and my kind of sort of boyfriend. it's strange though, my best friends seem to know me well enough to see that i'm fine! but other people keep harassing me and saying i'm getting to skinny. just one more thing to deal with, i guess. i know what's right for me and i've never cared what other people think, so i'm not going to start caring now!

i am trying to eat a little more though, b/c i don't want to get dizzy again, and i've also been losing weight pretty quickly. i know it'll even out eventually though.

i was thinking today about how long it's been since i've had cooked food...about half a month i guess. i really don't miss it and am never tempted to eat it...i am much more tempted by things like lara bars! hahaha. i was craving one today but i do feel better, and lighter, on the days when i just stick w/ fruits and veggies, so that's what i'm doing today. maybe i'll have one tomorrow or over the weekend as a treat.

i'll try to post food later but it's pretty much always the same thing! i'm also going to run 3 miles tonight. it's been so cold lately, i hope i don't freeze to death! lol. have a great day girls!

Date: December 13, 2007 03:09AM

Hi Meow: Are you sure you are eating enough? I know that you are doing 811, but it is scary that you got dizzy and that you are losing weight so quickly. Only you know what is best for your body, but just make sure you aren't overdoing it.

Well, I am home for the evening and finished eating for the day a couple of hours ago.

Here is the grand total of the day

Food:
-banana, pear, 20 soaked almonds
-BIG salad (lettuce, baby spinach, carrots, celery, peppers, onions, sprouts, flax seeds, a bit of oil and vinegar)
-about 20 grapes
-orange
-cut up vegetables: red peppers, carrots, celery
-lara bar, a few cashews

my solution to the lara bar problem (i.e. eating more than one) is to just buy one at a time and eat it right then and there. After swimming I was hungry and in the mood for a sweet treat, so I went to Whole Foods, which is on the way home from school, and bought a Lara bar and ate it there.

Exercise:
60 min spinning class
swam 50 laps (couldn't help myself!)

I am EXHAUSTED and off to bed in a few minutes. My Crim Pro exam is Saturday and then I will be DONE with exams, although I will still have a couple of papers to do. The semester is almost over, yay!!

Date: December 13, 2007 04:54AM

optimist, thanks for looking out for me! i thought the same thing today about not eating enough so i tried really hard to eat more. i had:

-smoothie w/ 2 bananas, strawberries, frozen mango & blueberries, oj (this is big- about 410 calories by my estimates)
-grapes & banana
-2 c. oj and 2 bananas
*35-40 min. walk*
-apple & banana
-handful of carrots w/ raw hummus (wasn't supposed to eat fat today but i felt like my body needed a little something extra before my run)
*3 mile run...i almost froze to death!*
-salad w/ 2.5 heads of romaine lettuce, carrot,s red & yellow peppers, 1.5 tomatoes, lots of cucumber slices, cauliflower, & raw ACV

i estimated that that's about 1450 calories thanks to all those bananas smiling smiley more than i've eaten in a while actually..no wonder i got dizzy yesterday. i am really full now but i think i needed to eat more. i wasn't hungry for the smoothie or the salad but i made myself eat it...do you guys think that's a good thing to do, or is it better to always listen to your hunger? i am more of a listen to your hunger kind of girl normally.

oh and i don't mind the weight loss winking smiley hehe. does any girl ever mind losing weight?

Date: December 13, 2007 01:25PM

Hi Meow:
Glad that you decided to up the calories a bit, if you think that is what you need. As far as eating when you are not hungry, no you don't need to force yourself. However, since your body was getting so used to eating so little, maybe it was just learning to survive on fewer calories. Maybe it is what you eat and not the amount? I am not too familiar with 811 -- what is the benefit of keeping fats so low? As far as I know, avocados, olive oil, and almonds are actually really good for you and eating fat helps you balance the fat on your body. I think it is good to continue to listen to your body. If you aren't hungry, but feel dizzy, maybe that is your body's way of saying you actually need to eat even though you might not really want to. Wish I could give better advice about this. Maybe ask one of the more experienced raw foodies on here? Some people have like 10 years+ of experience with this :-).

This morning the scale said 162.6 -- down 3.4 pounds since last week! More importantly though, I feel lean and good. I see my body fat shrinking (Isn't it amazing how we can really see changes in our own bodies really easily?!). Like when I sit down, my stomach barely creases at all. I bet in a week it will be perfectly flat when I sit down :-). Very exciting!

I didn't go to spinning this morning since I was so tired, and actually slept until 8am. I will probably swim a mile at school today.

Yesterday I really liked eating a BIG salad for a late lunch about 3pm and then just eating a small amount in the evening -- a few veggies, nuts, and a lara bar. I think I might start doing that more.

Apple, how are you?

Have a good day, girls!

Date: December 13, 2007 06:31PM

Hi ladies,

Sounds like we are all doing well. Both yesterday and today so far have been good for me. Today was/is:

AM Workout: 40 minute run, pilates
Breakfast: apple, 2 bananas, a few raw pistacios
Lunch: Friend took me to this amazing raw friendly restaurant: I had a salad with spinach, sprouts, scallions, tomatoes, mushrooms and homemade olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing.
Dinner: Not sure what this will be. I will be out shopping, maybe I'll try to eat an early large salad so I dont get starving at the mall.

I am going home tomorrow!

Date: December 13, 2007 06:40PM

Sounds great, Apple! Glad to hear that you are back on track and feeling good.

Food check in for me:
-6 oz of blackberries
-10 soaked almonds
-banana
-salad: baby spinach, cucumber, celery, red pepper, carrots, sprouts, cherry tomatoes, bulgur wheat (soaked, not cooked), 1/2 avocado, oil and vinegar
-about 30 grapes

on my 2nd cup of green tea.

Will likely have the same salad for dinner and maybe an orange at some point.

I might go swimming tonight, but this could very well be my day off of exercise.

Date: December 13, 2007 07:10PM

Optimist, congrats on the weight loss! I knew it’d happen for you if you stuck it out. There’s no better positive reinforcement & motivation to keep eating raw than seeing the great physical changes like weight loss, shinier hair, better skin, etc.

Apple, I bet you are super busy getting ready for Thailand! Eee I am excited for you!

About 811, it’s supposed to be the most successful raw diet in the long term, and I’m definitely in this for the long haul. I have been having better workouts and my skin looks amazing after just a week or so of eating 811. I haven’t read the book b/c it’s too much $$ and my library/bookstores that I’ve been to don’t have it, but I have done a decent amount of research and there is this one blog, www.sarah811.blogspot.com, that is written by a woman who’s been on the diet for over a year and she’s so inspiring! She has seen so many amazing changes and has taken up running and loves being active now. It just really hit home for me b/c the main goal for me w/ raw foodism is to eventually eat like I would if I was living in a forest or something! I’m just trying it out, but so far so good.

Here’s my plan for the day…I wanted to get up at 6 AM and do pilates but I was too tired. Oh well.

-banana
-cup of fresh-squeezed OJ, apple, banana
-3 bananas
-apple or 2
*50 min. walk, abs pilates*
-SMOOTHIE!! w/ a banana or 2, strawberries, mango, blueberries, splash of OJ

Maybe more if needed, I usually just grab more fruit here & there if I get hungry.

I am SO FREAKING COLD lately. I have gotten used to my fingers & lips being numb most of the time! Do you girls have this problem? I know it’s very common among new raw foodies. Anyway have a great Thursday…the weekend is almost here!

Date: December 14, 2007 12:52AM

Sounds good, Meow. If you are feeling good so far on the 811, and you think it is the best way to make eating raw a lifelong habit, then I think it is awesome that you have found such an inspiration to keep you motivated!

Well, it is almost 8pm and I am done with food for the day.

Grand total:
b: 6 oz of blackberries, 10 soaked almonds
s: banana
l: salad: baby spinach, cucumber, celery, red pepper, carrots, sprouts, cherry tomatoes, bulgur wheat (soaked, not cooked), 1/2 avocado, oil and vinegar
-about 30 grapes
s: orange & 30 more grapes
d: salad: baby spinach, cucumber, celery, red pepper, carrots, sprouts, cherry tomatoes, bulgur wheat (soaked, not cooked), 1/2 avocado, oil and vinegar

No exercise today -- I definitely need the day off. I may walk home, which is about a mile.

Good night, girls, looking forward to your updates :-).

Date: December 14, 2007 05:12AM

hi girls. i feel sooo full right now. i don't really like it sad smiley here's what i had today:

-banana
-cup of OJ, apple, banana
-3 bananas
-2 apples, half a banana, 1 raw cacao-goji energy bite
*50 min. powerwalk in the freeezing cold (ok it's LA it doesn't get freezing cold...but i felt like i was going to get frostbite!)
-smoothie w/ 1.5 bananas, strawberries, frozen mango & blueberries, oj (it made about 16-20 oz)

it was too late to eat that smoothie (8:15ish by the time i got back from my walk & made it). i wasn't even that hungry. i think my body doesn't want me to eat at night, like at all! grrrr. i need to workout at night b/c otherwise i'd be getting up at 5:15 every morning, which i don't want to do...maybe i will eventually, but not now. and i can't eat before i workout, otherwise i'd be out running/walking through hollywood late at night, which isn't really safe when you're a small blonde girl! so maybe i should cut the size of my dinner in half and see how that goes. i hate waking up feeling so stuffed i feel nauseous, and i'm not sure why that even happens b/c i never eat much anyway, but it keeps happening! my body is definitely telling me to eat less, so i think i need to just listen. the past 2 days of trying to make myself eat more have been painful & uncomfortable.

sorry for the rant. i'm thinking of doing mono-meals of oj & apples tomorrow and a salad for dinner. i'm hoping to leave work early so i can get my workout in a little earlier than usual so i can actually eat dinner w/o having it sit in my stomach like a ton of bricks all night...

Oh- if you girls have old oatmeal from your cooked days, you should try making a face mask w/ it! i did this tonight and it was really cool and left my skin nice & soft! it was fun, too, lol. you just need to take a little oatmeal, less than 1/4 c., and mix it w/ some warm water so you have a paste. mash it up a bit then put it on your face, let it dry for about 10 mins. and rinse off. so easy, and a good way to use up that oatmeal!

ok i'm going to go lay down & hope my stomach feels less full so i can sleep later...

Date: December 14, 2007 01:11PM

Hi Meow,
Sounds like you are in quite a predicament. Why don't you have your smoothie in the morning and fruit at night? If eating so much makes you feel bad, don't do it. Just listen to what your body needs and things will fall into place. Also, since raw food has so many nutrients, maybe you simply don't need to eat more than you already are eating.

Today the scale said 161 -- down 1.6 lbs from yesterday. Is this possible? I guess once you get into a groove, then the weight just starts falling off? Is this what you experienced, Meow? Believe me, I am not complaining I just don't want to loose weight too, too fast as I know it is not so healthy.

I have noticed that I need way less food than I used to. Even though I still eat my big salads and fruit throughout the day, I never really feel hungry, I just eat because I know that I should and it makes me feel good. I also enjoy my food so much! All of the delicious flavors and textures of the different vegetables -- loving it!!

I brought a ton of vegetables and a big salad to school yesterday, but there was no way I could finish that, so I'll eat the rest today.

Plan is:
-Blackberries and 10 soaked almonds
-the rest of my salad and cut-up vegetables
-maybe a couple of pieces of fruit throughout the day.

Again, no spinning this morning. I am getting pretty STRESSED about my final, and couldn't sleep. I'll probably swim at some point today, but might want to skip it just to study. Skipping 2 days of exercise will be a BIG DEAL for me, but I really need to study and don't know if I can sacrifice the time. We shall see.
It is okay though, my final is Saturday morning, so I can definitely exercise later in the day.

Have a good day girls!!!

Date: December 14, 2007 05:31PM

Wow Optiminst, yes, that’s exactly what I experienced, both with weight loss and with not needing as much food as I once did. It’s kind of cool that you’re experiencing it, too! I don’t own a scale (they give me panic attacks…lame but true) so I don’t know exactly how much weight I lost or exactly how fast, but when my body is in raw weight loss mode I can see changes literally every day or two. It’s really cool! And the best part is, it’s effortless!

Also, GOOD LUCK ON YOUR EXAMS!!! I remember how stressful that is. I'm sure you'll do great, and soon it'll be over!

Thanks so much for your support Optimist. I know I am still figuring all of this out. I woke up feeling fine this morning- I guess the fruit was easy to digest overnight. I am definitely going to be eating lighter from now on though. I agree that b/c we are getting so many nutrients and vitamins and fiber in our delicious raw foods, we don’t need to eat as much as cooked food eaters do. I have to admit my coworkers think I’m insane. They don’t even know I’m eating raw except for one, who’s my friend. But they see me eat nothing but fruit all day (I don’t take lunch, so I eat at my desk, which is in plain view of pretty much everyone). This morning this one especially b*tchy woman I work with, who recently had a horrible cold that she passed along to over half of our small office, was in the kitchen while I was. She asked me, “didn’t you ever get sick?” b/c there was one day last week that I said I felt a little run down, and it was when she was also getting sick. I told her that I didn’t, and added that I almost never get sick even when everyone else does- my body seems to always fight it off. She didn’t say anything but just looked at me like no one’s ever looked at me before- I seriously felt like I was some sort of rare exotic animal in a zoo. Like she felt that I wasn’t even of the same species as her! It was really strange. But actually, I’d rather not be of the same species as people who get sick all the time, buy Mercedes b/c they have nothing better to spend their money on, and practically choke you with their designer perfume. Lol.

I’ll update later. I’m definitely going to treat myself to a Lara bar today. It’s Friday! I haven’t had one for a week or so and I want it. I’m excited b/c I’m finally going to see my boy this weekend- not til Sunday (he works almost every weekend) but still, it’s better than nothing!

Apple, I hope you’re doing well and enjoying your time w/ your boyfriend! I can’t wait to hear from you again and hear about your adventures! Anyway have a great Friday both of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2007 05:43PM by meow.

Date: December 14, 2007 07:29PM

Thanks for your feedback, Meow, it is nice to hear first-hand from someone who has recently gone through what I am going through right now. I am happy to see the changes in my body, and can't quite believe how quickly it is happening! Especially since I am so rarely hungry. Well, at night sometimes when I am laying in bed with an empty stomach (a pretty new experience for me), I feel hungry but it soon passes and I fall asleep -- waking up lighter the next day :-).

That lady at your office sounds like she has issues. She is probably just jealous of your physical well-being. Like humans are "supposed" to get sick. However, I really don't think so. The only times I get sick are usually following a cooked food binge. I can't remember the last time I actually got sick; even though I am just newly raw, I have always eaten a lot of fruits and veggies. We have found the fountain of youth, and should definitely stick with it!! Raw is the way to be!

I am happy you get to see the boy. Why don't you just become boyfriend/girlfriend already?

My friend who I told you about before is constantly saying things about my eating habits. I think I told you his favorite thing to say is, "Becky doesn't believe in fire." It is actually kind of funny the way that he says it. But today I sat down and told him how it kinda bothers me that he is so critical of my eating habits. He said that he will stop, if I want him too. Then I admitted that I do actually talk about being raw with him a lot, so maybe I bring it on myself. I said I am going to try to talk about it less. However, since it is new, it is kind of always on my mind, and it is tough to not talk about what is on your mind -- especially to a good friend! Oh well. I am a little worried about going to Israel food-wise. I am sure that I will find plenty to eat, but I hope people won't be too critical of my eating habits since they will likely see what I eat all day. Sigh...

Anyway, my food check in for today is:
-6 oz blackberries
-10 soaked, peeled almonds
-banana
-salad: mixed greens, carrots, celery, red pepper, sprouts, 1 whole avocado (guess I was hungry :-)).
-30 grapes

I will likely eat more grapes and my bag of cut-up vegetables (carrots, celery, broccoli, cucumbers), which is waiting for me in the fridge, during my study group at 5pm.

Apple, we miss you! Hope you have safe and fun travels!

Date: December 15, 2007 01:21AM

Okay, it is 8:20 and I am done with food for the night.

Here is the grand total
-6 oz blackberries
-banana
-salad: mixed greens, carrots, celery, red pepper, sprouts, 1 whole avocado (guess I was hungry :-)).
-30 grapes
-bag of cut up veggies & 30 more grapes

No exercise :-(.

Have a good night girls!

Date: December 15, 2007 01:30AM

Hey optimist! Is your real name Becky? My real name is Danielle if you want to call me that instead of meow! I think it’s good that you told your friend how you feel. I would be upset, too, if a good friend picked on me for my food choices. Sometimes I don’t understand why people feel so threatened by raw fooders and anyone who eats differently. Aren’t we more than what we choose to put in our bodies? But I think people are afraid that we are judging their own food choices and thinking that they’re being unhealthy, even when we’re not! It’s good, too, that you recognized that you may have been talking a lot about raw foods with your friend. I have that same problem! I am so into it right now and still learning so much, it’s hard not to talk about it! But unfortunately sometimes people don’t want to hear it.

About my situation with the boy (I will call him Nate from now on, b/c “the boy” sounds weird! Lol). We’ve been together- yet not really together- for about 5 years now…wow. We have the most amazing chemistry ever. Seriously. I never thought anything could be like this, and I don’t think most people will experience something like it in their lifetimes. However, it’s far from perfect. Nate has a lot of issues- nothing horrible or major, but he’s borderline genius and is always in his head, and he relates to the world differently than most people. He thinks too much about everything. He can’t seem to commit, yet he hates it when I date other people and he recognizes that what we feel for each other is more than he’s ever felt or thought he would feel. Sometimes I think he’s waiting for the “right” time for something like this, too. He’s not ready for a commitment now, but he says often that he does want to be with one person for the rest of his life, eventually. I don’t know. I can’t seem to stay away from him, and even when I try to, he can’t seem to stay away from me. I’m hanging on for the ride right now, and I’m trying so hard to accept him as he is and not try to change him, b/c I do love him for who he is and it’s not fair of me to try to make him into someone he’s not ready to be. He needs to do things in his own time and I understand that.

Sorry to write so much! It’s so complicated, but every relationship is complicated, huh?

Sooo…here’s my food for the day:

*25 mins. abs pilates HARD moves at 6 AM*
-2 bananas, 2 cups OJ, another banana in the morning
-choc. coconut lara bar & 2 apples for lunch
-banana
-big green salad w/ kale, mixed greens, romaine, red, yellow & orange peppers, shredded zucchini, carrots, & beets, a tomato or 2, cauliflower, and raw ACV (apple cider vinegar)- I am sooo looking forward to this! I LOVE shredded beets, they make it so much yummier!

I decided to nix my planned 3-mile run today in favor of a longer run tomorrow. It is COLD out and I just don’t really feel like it. I usually take 2 rest days per week anyway.

Date: December 15, 2007 04:19AM

Nice to meet you, Danielle!
Wow your situation with Nate sounds complicated, but it sounds like you are taking the whole thing pretty well and not getting too stressed out, which is definitely good! Is Nate good at communicating with you about his needs, and listening to you about yours? Definitely very important in a situation like this!

Your food sounds excellent! First salad in a couple of days, do you miss eating big salads on the days that you don't? Great that you got in a hard morning work out. Good for you!!

Well, it turns out that my evening food was way too little. The vegetables that I left in the fridge ended up going kind of bad, so I only ate a few.
So, I ate an Odwalla bar.
And when I got home I ate a mango, and some carrots with raw almond butter.
Definitely not the best evening food, but I was compensating for not eating enough for dinner tonight. Yesterday I went to bed a bit hungry but didn't feel the need to eat anything. So I was trying to think about the difference between today and yesterday. Yesterday I ate a big delicious salad and some grapes a little before 8pm, so I wasn't hungry the rest of the evening. I need to do that every day to prevent myself from eating at night. Well, at least I can now see ways to prevent night eating, which I really really don't want to do!! At least I stayed raw (even though Odwalla bars are a bit borderline, but I only ate it because I had no access to a Lara bar which is what I really wanted). Overall I feel a bit guilty, but okay with it because I understand that my body simply needed more food than I gave it today, especially later in the evening for dinner.

So my grand total is actually:
-6 oz blackberries
-banana
-30 grapes
-bag of cut up veggies & 30 more grapes
-odwalla bar
-mango
-carrots with raw almond butter

I think I am going to actually start recording what time I eat everything and see how that correlates with my weight loss or gain. I am not going to weigh myself tomorrow morning. I think I'll wait until next Wednesday, the day I leave for Chicago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2007 04:21AM by optimist4life.

Date: December 15, 2007 12:59PM

Hi ladies,

Wow, you are both doing awesome! I missed posting yesterday because I was in the car all day driving home, but I made it safely to my moms house in NY. I'll be here for a week, then visiting my bf for a week, then back here for 10 days...then its off to Thailand...

I have come to the realization that it is going to be nearly impossible to eat raw this whole time unless I tell people that is what I'm doing, especially at my boyfriends house. SO I am going to eat as much raw as I possibly can, not stress about it, and then know that once I get to Thailand I am going to be able to go 100% again. For me I am too new to this to feel comfortable explaining it to people. Luckily my bfs parents are fairly healthy, so they always have fruit around - will just be when they cook a fancy meal, like on Christmas Eve, that I will be challenged.

For example, last night I came home and my mom had made vegetable soup and vegetarian chili for dinner. I didnt want to deal with not eating what she had made (even though she is generally pretty supportive) so I had a little, along with some salad. I had eaten raw the whole car ride (just apples and raw pistacios - YUM) so I was okay with it.

I just woke up and had a few mango slices, and now I'm going to go for a run in cold, snowy, NY. I love bundling up and going for a run outside like this - it is so invigorating!

I will update later with my meals - have a great day ladies!

Date: December 15, 2007 06:26PM

good morning girls!

becky, what kind of odwalla bars are the raw ones? i used to love the chocolate peanut ones, but i don't think those are raw winking smiley don't feel bad about eating when you are hungry, even if it's later than you normally like to eat. easier said than done, i know. i often find myself feeling guilty about what i eat and when i eat it, too. i think we'll feel more peaceful about food and what we're eating the longer we keep eating like this.

about nate, he's really bad at communicating. his method of communicating is basically by not communicating, if that makes any sense. like he thinks i can just guess what he wants or what he's thinking. and of course i can't, and i've reacted in the past by blowing up at him. sometimes it seems like we're mad at each other more often than not. it's gotten better recently, but he'll still open up to me just a little and then pull away. i have gotten a lot better about being honest and open with him, even if he won't do the same, b/c i feel like one of us needs to set that example. maybe if i show him i can be vulnerable and open, he'll be less afraid to do the same. it's all very confusing and very touch-and-go. i do think it's worth it though. our paths are intertwined. something is in store for us in the future.

apple, you are going to have such a great 2 weeks! it's always so nice to just have a break to relax, see people you haven't seen in a while and do what you WANT to do as opposed to what you HAVE to do! you are brave w/ the running in the cold. i used to be like that when i lived in VT. i'd run in 15 degree weather and snowstorms! now, i can't even go outside when it's below 55 degrees. CA has definitely made me go soft in that respect!

i am feeling like i'm fighting off a cold today. i started the day w/ 3.5 small tangerines and 2 bananas. yay vitamin c. i'm going to mono-meal it for the rest of the day with bananas for lunch and apples for dinner. unless whole foods has decent-looking mangoes, then i'll have a mango for dinner along with some apples. i can't get enough pink lady apples lately. i just want to eat simply. fruit is sooooo good to me right now. i'll try to run later but we'll see how i feel. i'm hoping for a 4-miler and then some arm exercises & sit-ups.

about the salads/greens, i usually have 4-5 salads a week (for dinner) so i do still get a good amount of greens. it's funny, my body will tell me when it needs them. i ate a salad when i didn't really want one a few days ago, just b/c i felt like i "needed" the greens & minerals, and it didn't taste good. when i really want a salad though, they are amazing. just like fruit. if i eat an apple but wanted a banana, the apple doesn't taste as good as it usually does. so i'm just trusting my body on this. my salads are huge, so i'm not worried about not getting enough greens.

well i'm off to laze around! i love weekends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2007 06:27PM by meow.

Date: December 15, 2007 10:21PM

Welcome back, Apple! We missed you :-).
Your plan to eat mostly raw as much as you can, but being flexible when necessary, sounds like a good one. I am sure you will be happy to get back to eating raw in Thailand, but in the meantime eating a bit cooked here and there is a good way to compromise! Congrats on eating raw in the car -- sometimes it is tough to do so on road trips. Also, I am very impressed with you braving the cold in NY! Good for you!

Danielle, that situation with Nate sounds complicated. Good for you for sticking with it and being so persistent about a relationship that you seem to know is just right. Also, that is awesome you are so in tune with your body and dietary needs. I aspire to be like you some day! I remember when I ate raw in college one day I suddenly wanted a banana (even though I had hated bananas my whole life). It tasted great to me, and ever since then I have become a banana eater :-).

Well, I finished my exams, yay!!! I still have a bit of work to do on papers, but I am excited to have exams out of the way :-).

This was my day so far food and exercise-wise:
7am 6 oz of blackberries, 15 soaked and peeled almonds
1pm swam a mile (felt GREAT after skipping exercise for 2 days)
2pm 1 banana (I was STARVING after my swim!)
3pm met up with a friend for a late lunch and ate at the Cheesecake factory. I ordered the seared tuna salad because I was dying for some fish. It was raw though (that seared kind where the outside is just barely cooked so I consider it raw). The salad consisted of: mixed greens, avocado, tomato, pickled ginger, and tuna. I don't plan on making fish an integral part of my diet, but am open to eating it when I feel like I need it -- especially if it is raw!

I don't think Odwalla bars are raw. However, I say they are borderline because they have all whole ingredients, so I consider them an okay alternative to Lara bars. Although I much prefer Lara bars -- both for taste and their rawness!

I don't know if I will eat anything else the rest of the day. Although the salad wasn't huge, I am feeling pretty full and satisfied. I might have a few carrots or a piece of fruit later if I feel hungry (but before 8pm!). I also have plans to meet up with a friend at 8, so I'll probably have a glass of wine or two with him. No more food past 8pm though! I did actually get on the scale this morning and was back up to 162! It is amazing how directly night eating affects my weight. I don't think I have ever seen the correlation so strongly before -- another motivator to not eat past 8pm at the very, very latest.

I know I have said it before, but I really value having both of you to check in with every day. This support system really helps me so much, and I love hearing about your thoughts about food in reference to your real lives. It helps me figure out also how to integrate a raw food lifestyle into a normal happy life! Thanks so much to both of you!

Enjoy the weekend!

Date: December 16, 2007 01:26AM

Hi ladies!

Meow - I hope you are feeling better! I just bought a whole bunch of pink lady apples - they are one of my favorite varieties!

Optimist - Congrats on being done with exams!

Well my day went really well. I got in an amazing 6-mile run in the cold, and had some nice meals including:

Breakfast: Green smoothie (spinach, fresh squeezed OJ, and frozen banana, YUM) and a few walnuts and raisins. Oh and before my run I had some dried mango.
Lunch: Choc Coconut Lara Bar, a few more walnuts, and another green smoothie, this time with pear in it
Snack: Apple and some grapes
Dinner: I made raw spaghetti! It is one of the simplest raw recipes. The spaghetti is just shredded zucchini and the sauce was made in the food processor with tomatoes (both fresh and sun dried), basil, garlic, celery, and peppers. Obviously it didn't taste like spaghetti - more like an interesting zucchini dish, but I really enjoyed it. I also had some of my moms vegetable soup (I am weak when it is so cold, haha, but it wont be in Thailand!) and some apple slices and grapes for dessert.

Date: December 16, 2007 03:17AM

hi girls! sounds like you both had good saturdays! i am feeling a lot better, which is really weird b/c when i'm sick, i usually feel a million times worse at night. my plan of eating only fruit worked, i guess! i didn't do mono-meals though, b/c i was craving a nice, cold smoothie for my throat, and then ended up getting delicious mangoes so i had one for dinner w/ other fruits. i was also unable to go for a run (napped instead!). i am hoping to feel up to it tomorrow- i think i will. it was good to have a rest though!

here are my meals:

breakfast: 3.5 small tangerines, 2 bananas
lunch: pink lady apple; smoothie w/ 2 bananas, strawberries, frozen mango & blueberries, splash of oj
snack: gala apple
dinner: a PERFECT mango (heaven!), 2 small bananas, 1 pink lady apple

i feel nice & full but not overly full. i think i want a big salad tomorrow though! lol funny how that works.

apple, i LOVE zucchinaghetti! i keep meaning to make it but don't have all the ingredients for the sauce. it's so good though!

Date: December 16, 2007 03:25AM

Apple, your food sounds delicious!!! I definitely want to try that spaghetti recipe at some point!

I just got back from being out with my friend. We ended up having tea instead - lovely!

My check in for the day is as follows:
7am 6 oz of blackberries, 15 soaked and peeled almonds
1pm swam a mile (felt GREAT after skipping exercise for 2 days)
2pm 1 banana (I was STARVING after my swim!)
3pm mixed greens, avocado, tomato, pickled ginger, and tuna.
7:30pm salad -- baby romaine, carrots, grape tomatoes, sprouts, soaked bulgar wheat, raw tahina, raw vinegar
8:30pm tea :-).

Although I wasn't really hungry at 7:30, I am really glad that I ate a substantial salad. I feel pleasantly satisfied and not hungry at all. I think the panacea for my night eating is having a substantial salad 3-4 hours before bed.

I am going to brush my teeth and go to bed. I am EXHAUSTED!

Date: December 16, 2007 08:56PM

i feel totally better today! yay! and it's another absolutely beautiful day, so i'm looking forward to a nice, hard workout this afternoon!

i went to the farmer's market this morning, along with target, trader joe's and whole foods...it's funny how i need to go to so many different stores/places to get my food for the week! well, target is just for cat litter winking smiley anyway i'm going to throw a lara bar into my meals today b/c i feel like it, i'll still be within the boundaries of 811, and i've been losing weight pretty fast so i think having some fat most days is a good idea. i put on a shirt yesterday that is meant to fit loosely, but it practically fell down my shoulders and looks ridiculously big on me now. i also grabbed a pair of jeans this morning that i haven't been able to fit into for nearly 4 years (all my other jeans were in the wash) and they fit fine and are even a little loose in the waist! size 2 from American Eagle, from back when size 2 really was size 2...lol. it's all good, i'm happy to be getting down to my natural raw body weight, but it is happening really quickly! i feel amazing though, and i am shocked that my body was able to fight off that nasty cold thanks to rest, raw fruits and positive thinking!

food today was/will be:

-a banana, then 2 frozen bananas made into "banana ice cream"- sooo good!
-sample of a plum & fuji apple at the farmer's market, then a 16 oz. smoothie w/ 2 bananas, strawberries, frozen mango & blueberries, and a splash of OJ
-lara bar before my run
*4 mile run, abs & arms exercises*
-salad w/ romaine, mixed greens, red & yellow peppers, cucs, tomatoes, cauliflower, carrots and raw ACV for an early dinner
-maybe a glass of organic red wine w/ the boy, and definitely some grapes

Date: December 16, 2007 10:18PM

Meals look good for both of you! Meow - hope you have fun with the boy.

So I am a little annoyed at my mom right now. Nothing major except that her and my stepdad refuse to heat the house to a normal level. They are pretty hardcore environmentalists, which is good, but I dont think 60 degrees inside is acceptable when its below freezing outside. I literally stand around and shake sometimes, and I feel like I cant do anything inside because I am so cold. Right now I have 2 sweaters on, sweatpants, warm socks, slippers, and a huge, warm bathrobe. I just dont feel like I should have to wear that much in my house! Am I being unreasonable?

Anyway, the other reason I hate being cold is because it makes it so much easier to eat cooked food. I ate raw today except dinner, when I had rice and beans with hot sauce to warm me up, and a piece of dark chocolate with PB. It's funny because my portions were not at all big and I feel STUFFED now, ugh, and I dont like this feeling. Todays meals were:

Bfast: raw oatmeal (soaked oat groats and banana blended together) with walnuts, raisins, apple
Snack: apple
Lunch: Choc coconut lara bar, apple, a few macademia nuts
Workout: walked my dog 2.5 miles, then ran 3, all in the snow with protective things on my running shoes to keep me from slipping. NY got a huge storm yesterday! Then 30 min of yoga.
Dinner: Rice, beans, a kiwi, and pb/dark chocolate

I want more raw fruits and veggies, ugh...oh well today wasn't terrible and tomorrow will be better. I will be in NYC though so probably wont post until tomorrow night!

Date: December 17, 2007 04:33AM

Wow, you are both doing great!!

Meow, glad to hear that you are feeling better :-). Apple -- maybe you can compromise and ask them to turn the heat up, just a little bit?

I had a LOOOOONG day!!

Went to school and was working on some papers that I need to finish before I leave for Chicago on Wednesday. Then I met up with an old friend for dinner, and then I stopped by my friend's house who lives across the street.

No real exercise, other than biking to school back in the pouring rain, which I think gave me a cough.

I ended up eating Ethiopian food with my friend for dinner. He is Ethiopian and really wanted to take me out. I didn't want to insult him, and was kind of in the mood for it. Not so great, but I ate raw the rest of the day and will go right back to raw tomorrow.

Food was:
-banana
-whole bag of grapes
-box of raspberries
-Ethiopian food, red wine
-green tea

I am going to try to get up for spinning tomorrow, but not sure how I will feel.

Also, I have been waking up super dehydrated. I am usually pretty good at drinking a lot of water, but I guess I have gotten away from it because of the cold. I am going to try to make more of a conscious effort to drink more water throughout the day.

I am not sure how much I will be able to write when I am in Israel because I don't know what our internet access will be. Just wanted to let you know.
Danielle, what is that 30 day raw challenge? I think I want to start it Jan 1.

Have a good night, girls. Keep up the good work!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2007 04:34AM by optimist4life.

Current Page: 3 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables