Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 9 of 21
Re: committed to RAW
Posted by: meow ()
Date: February 02, 2008 07:18PM

Happy Saturday!

Becky, great job sticking to your 100% raw goal at the Shabbat dinner smiling smiley About vinegar, regular vinegar (balsamic, wine vinegars, etc) aren't raw. Apple cider vinegar is apparently the only raw kind (and even then you have to make sure the label says 100% raw). I find it to be a bit stronger & more acidic than other vinegars but I've gotten used to it and now I don't use anything else on my salads.

I got a good 8.5 hours of sleep last night, got up and felt fine, so I went to the gym. I took the killer abs class and the instructor surprised us all by making it even MORE challenging! He explained after class that a lot of the "regulars" that have been coming for a while are getting stronger so he's making it harder! I was so proud of myself though- I did a good job keeping up and pushing myself to complete the hardest exercises b/c I knew it'd only be a few more seconds before we switched to something that might be a bit less challenging. It was SUCH a great class! After that I did 50 mins. on the arc trainer and made it pretty challenging as well. I miss running so much. Still can't run for another week or so. So far today I don't feel dizzy, so that's good!

I am definitely detoxing the numbing meds they injected into my head (sounds freaky, huh?) and the week of taking 1/2 dose of Excedrin every day. My skin is looking blah- ruddy and bumpy. I even have one pimple. It's annoying b/c I got so used to having smooth skin and not needing make-up! But I know it'll be over soon if I keep eating raw and try to stay patient. If that's the biggest problem I have, then I'm pretty damn lucky.

Plan for today:

-banana w/ 2ish T almond butter
*30 mins. abs class, 50 mins. arc trainer intervals*
-2 bananas, 1 raw energy bite
-smoothie w/ 2 bananas, frozen mango, strawberries, OJ
-apple I think?
-salad w/ the usual veggies & raw ACV

I also woke up hungry in the middle of the night and had a banana. The ones I have are PERFECTLY ripe right now and so hard to resist!

Becky, I'm not really thinking of doing CRON (especially since I'm already doing it) but I will admit that I am definitely a person of extremes and something about it appeals to me! I need to just chill out instead of always trying to find some new way to challenge myself through diet & exercise. I guess I'm used to not getting the results I want and having to keep pushing harder, so now that I am following a way of eating that has completely given me the health, body and peace of mind that I want, it feels weird to just stay here instead of searching for something even more "hardcore." I know I need to work on that! Gotta find my zen...LOL.

Have a great Saturday! Also, Soraya, if you're out there, let us know how things are going for you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: February 02, 2008 10:02PM

You are going to live long, Danielle! I just found the time to jump online for the first time in a couple days to find out how you two are doing,only to see you asking about me!

Good to see that you're both doing well,are open to listening to what your body needs and moving towards whatever that may be; most people can't do that...

The past week or so has been a little eventful for me as my body began reacting adversely to something, but for the life of me, I had no clue what...so it was back to the drawing board. Did a mini-juice fast, then mono-ed for a couple of days. I had my big ah-ha moment yesterday, hence, from this point forward, I can no longer have green smoothies *sniffle*. I'm glad, though, that I found the culprit because I was feeling absolutely horrible; thank goodness for food-journaling and diet/body awareness!

I heard about CRON about a year or so ago and it makes perfect sense to me, but I don't know how many people could handle it. I think that I do it unconciously as well, though if I took it to heart right now I think I would become too obsessive about it.

Hopefully later this weekend I'll have a little more time to come back and share some information about myself and how my journey is going with you. Thank you for the warm welcome, enjoy the rest of your day and I'll talk to you soon...

Posted by: optimist4life ()
Date: February 03, 2008 01:48AM

Good evening!

Danielle: I think it is a good idea for you to stick with what you have been doing. If you are fully content with your mind, body, and spirit, why change things? It sounds like you are being "hard core" with your abs workout, so that's good enough. Right? I think it took you awhile to get to where you are now, and you are happy with it, so why change things?

Hi Soraya: I hope that you are feeling better now that you have found the culprit to what is holding you back.

Another 100% raw day for me. I did, actually, buy Lara bars which is a bad idea! I ate 2 for no apparent reason. I wasn't even really that hungry. I guess I am just so used to overdoing it once I start with non-raw food. Lara bars feel non-raw even though they are. I think that maybe one day I will be able to eat them in moderation, but for now I think they should be off limits.

Also, sometimes eating raw can be so expensive! I spent over $100 at Whole Foods today! I am not quite sure what to do about this. Granted, I did buy some pricey things like flax seed oil, fancy olives, lara bars, grapes, and passion fruit. I think I just need to stick to the basics and shop at the regular grocery store for most things. I should only buy "specialty" items at Whole foods like raw almond milk, hemp powder, flax seeds, sea weed, etc.

I feel good about my grand total today, except for the Lara bars (which are now off limits totally! If I want something sweet, I should eat a piece of fruit):

*45 min spinning class, 15 min elliptical machine, stretches and abs
-smoothie (4 tbsp raw hemp protein 3/4 cup of apple juice, banana, 1/2 c berries)
-a few carrots and celery with raw tahina when I was packing my lunch/dinner for the day.
*biked to and from school -- 15 min each way.
-lunch: kale, celery, carrots, red pepper, sprouts, raw tahina and lemon juice
-dinner: kale, celery, carrots, red pepper, sprouts, raw tahina and lemon juice
-a few pieces of dried mango, 2 lara bars.
-glass of red wine (will have when I go out with a friend in a few min.)

Date: February 03, 2008 05:05AM

Hello again!
Yeah, I am super active on the thread lately. Hope I am not "hogging" it too much.

I decided to start sprouting my flax seeds. I notice that flax seeds tend to go right through my body and don't look like my body is digesting them. Maybe if they are sprouted, it will be easier for my body to digest them. A flax seed ended up on a sponge in my kitchen for a day or so after I did the dishes (they stick to everything!), and I noticed that it began to sprout. I didn't really consider sprouting them before, but I bet it will be good to try to sprout them! My kitchen is already a botanical garden of sprouting chick peas and mung beans. Why not add flax seeds to the mix!

Danielle, I was wondering why you don't eat other nutritious raw things like flax seeds, flax seed oil, olives or olive oil, hemp protein, and other things along those lines. I strive to eat like you to a certain degree. However, I also feel that it is important to get Omega 3's. Also, olive oil is supposed to be very nutritious. Is your reasoning that you don't want to eat too many overt fats? Anyway, I was just wondering. I think I'll probably end up eventually reducing the amount of fat in my diet, but for now I enjoy flax, olives, olive oils, tahina and the like.

Also, I don't think I am going to eat kale anymore. As much as I like it, and as nutritious as it is, I really think it is too difficult to digest raw. I end up feeling really bloated and get a stomach ache when I eat it raw. Think I will stick to salad greens and spinach.

Okay, I am going to clean my apartment a bit and then go to bed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2008 05:08AM by optimist4life.

Date: February 03, 2008 05:58PM

Hello!
Today is off to a good start. However, I had trouble getting up in the morning because I was wasting time on Facebook finding old friends last night when I got home from being out. I have decided that I don't like my evening routine and I want to try to change it. I usually get home from school between 8-10pm and between 10pm-midnight on the weekend nights. Then I make a big salad for the next day (usually nibble while I am doing it -- which I want to stop doing), talk on the phone, clean a little, and then waste time on the computer. Not good!
This is what I would like to do when I get home: Brush and floss teeth immediately, make a salad for the next day and clean a bit (maybe while talking on the phone?), and then play some piano. I haven't touched the piano much lately and I really miss it. I spend so much time on the computer all day doing research, taking notes from reading, etc. there really is no need to even turn on my computer in the evening (other than to maybe blog about my food for the day). Maybe I should even start leaving it in my locker at school.

Food is good so far today:

-grapes, banana, apple

I plan to go swimming in a couple of hours, eat lunch/dinner when I get back (a big salad), and then maybe eat another apple in the evening.

My friend is having a Superbowl party, but I am not sure if I really feel like going. We shall see.

Date: February 03, 2008 11:00PM

Figured that I'd finally bite the bullet and jump in with my food intake for the day...got to start somewhere, right? I must admit that I've been struggling with actually doing this "out in the open", so to speak; in the time that I've been raw (@ 5 months, now), I've only talked about it with my bestfriend (non-raw) and some of my associates at the Yoga center I volunteer with/at. This is, quite unexpectedly, a very emotional thing for me...what is up with that???

Can you tell that I've been having fun with the whole emotional/mental aspect of detoxing? winking smiley It's been way more challenging than the physical side of things...

Anywhoo... here's my food intake for the day so far;

- water upon arising
-juice of 5 oranges
-8 clementines
-4 peaches
- fruit smoothie: (my last one; apparently my body doesn't want smoothies of ANY kind anymore!) 3 bananas & 2 cups mixed berries

- Cuke and Tomato salad: 2 cukes, tomatoes, 1/2 avocado with a shake of Celtic sea salt (my only seasoning)

- later on this evening I'll have a Kale and Avocado salad; @ 4 cups kale, 1 avocado, 1/2 huge red pepper, sprinke CCS

- if still hungry, though I doubt it, I'll have some cashews...

I briefly tried limiting my fat intake but quickly ended that experiment; right now I need it or I tend to want to do crazy things **raises eyebrow**. If and when my body is ready for a shift it will tell me loud and clear!

Becky: I think the reason Lara bars are not feeling right to you somehow has to do with the combination of nuts and dried fruit; early on I really depended on them but now I can't stomach them at all either. For me, correct combining is essential, so I really have to be aware of what I'm doing - eating simply serves me best. I also can't use any fermented items as they mess my system up completely, as well as most seasonings, spices, etc... absolutely no raw gourmet for me!

I am proud of both you young ladies - that's what kept drawing me back here every day - this is the only blog that I make it a point to keep up with! You both are amazingly strong, and I hope that you can recognise that. It is NOT easy making such a major change in one's life, and then having to deal with school and deal with a traumatic event...you must know that you can achieve anything you put your minds to (I'm also talking to me..)!!! I'm glad I have met you; you are such an encouragement to me.

Many, many blessings...

Have a great week!

Date: February 03, 2008 11:04PM

Hi! I am soooo tired and nauseous right now but it's my own fault b/c I ate a sprouted grain bagel. I figured I was craving it, I need more calories b/c I've lost too much weight, and what harm could it do...but now I have a headache and don't feel so good. I'm going to lie down after I write this...and I'm going to give away the rest of the bagels to my coworkers tomorrow (the ones I like unfortunately come in 6-packs! What a waste of $$).

Soraya, I'm sorry to hear that you can't tolerate green smoothies, but I'm glad you figured out that was what was bothering you! Is it the combination of the greens & fruit that you can't digest well?

Becky, that's a good question (why don't I eat things like flax, hemp protein, olive oil, etc.). I guess mostly b/c my body seems to crave other things- fruits mainly, and almond butter right now, and salads. When I was just vegan I ate lots of flaxseeds, and put olive oil on my salads. I also used hemp protein, too. It's kind of weird that I don't use that stuff now. I guess I enjoy a more simple diet (well, except for today with my sickness-inducing bagel! LOL). I have read about the benefits of omega 3-6-9's, and I worked in a health supplement store long enough that I'm pretty much a walking encyclopedia for info on what we're "supposed" to supplement with. But I feel pretty good eating what I eat and I don't think I'd eat more supplement-type stuff if I was out in nature foraging for food, you know? I mainly try to eat what would be readily available growing on the trees or in the ground, although if I'm craving something that's not totally natural I have no problem eating it on occasion (ie, almond butter and lara bars!).

Actually you made me realize that I have been eating much more fat than I like to eat lately. I'd like to cut that back down to around 15% of my total calories. Maybe that will help me get my energy levels and skin back to normal. I really did feel best when eating that way.

Today:

-half a small banana w/ raw almond butter, then a smoothie w/ 2 small bananas, mango, strawberries, OJ
*30 mins. stationary bike, 20 mins. elliptical, 1.5 hours challenging power yoga class*
-sprouted grain bagel w/ raw almond butter & strawberry jam

I doubt I'll be very hungry later but I'm planning on having carrots & cauliflower w/ fresh salsa for dinner if/when I get hungry. Of course I'll eat more if needed. Wow, that's a sad, sad day for a raw foodist sad smiley When I eat a cooked food, there's so much less room for my usual fresh produce!

I wonder why I keep eating these bagels even when I always feel like crap afterwards? Becky, I think I need to join you on going 100% raw for the rest of the month. It's not worth eating cooked food if it makes me feel so awful, and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I would. I know one day is not a big deal, but when I'm already feeling so crummy, I don't need a wheat headache and fatigue on top of everything else! Tomorrow is another day...

Date: February 04, 2008 12:30AM

Soraya: Thanks for your post. Your words are very kind, and I feel blessed to have this forum. I don't think I could do it alone. How did you decide to become a raw foodist? I am also quite flattered that you keep up with our blog every day. I didn't know it was so interesting!

Danielle: Maybe it is the big bready chewing that you are missing? I know a lot of people say how much they love chewing on bread. I think the best thing for you to do when you feel a bagel craving is to just remind yourself how awful you feel after eating one. Thanks for your feedback about my "raw fats" question. Interesting...maybe I will be that way some day too.

Well, I decided not to go to the super bowl party. My friend who is hosting it has kind of a toxic personality, and another friend reminded me of that. I decided to stay at school and do more work. My friend who lives in my building is going to pick me up in a couple of hours so we can hang out. She is fantastic, and we don't see each other nearly as much as we should. I am really looking forward to it.

Well, another day 100% raw for me! Food and exercise check in:

-apple, banana, grapes
*swam a mile and did 50 pull ups and 50 press ups in the pool (haven't been doing enough arm exercises lately, and I am losing definition that I had 2 months ago in my arms). 1 mile walk to and from the pool. The sun was shining and it was beautiful outside today!
-apple (GREAT to eat an apple immediately after swimming!)
-1/2 salad (greens, spinach, cucumbers, carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, olives, mung bean sprouts, flax seeds -- yum! I bought some raw ACV, but forgot to put it on my salad before I left home, so I just ate my salad plain).
-the other half of my salad
-apple

also had 2 cups of tea -- 1 green and one herb (I haven't been writing tea down lately, I noticed) and lots of water.

Date: February 04, 2008 01:09AM

Danielle:

I hope you feel better soon! The one thing I used to like about bread was the texture and smell - I don't miss it anymore, though! As Becky suggested, try to remember exactly how 'wonderful' you're feeling now as a waepon against any future cravings. It may also be a comfort food for you psychologically or something; we develop very strong psychological and emotional ties to food, particularly cooked food. I find that when I am in certain emotional states, like when I'm afraid of facing something head-on, I crave certain things - potato chips with cheese was the final demon I had to beat down - something about the crunch and the salt just did it for me temporarily. Yep,even though I'm allergic to both things I kept slipping up until I figured out what I just said before...then I could deal with it...

Seems I can't tolerate anthing blended now; I tried making just a fruit smoothie earlier and while it didn't have the same effect on me as a green one, it was bad enough, so it seems my blending days are over...the greens and fruit combination are a definite no-no for me, and I certainly can't mix fruit and nuts/nut butter either.

Becky:

Good going on your decision to avoid bad vibes; have fun with your other plans! And, yes, this blog is that interesting! The main thing that captivated me was how open and honest you all were with each other, and the genuineness of that comes across so clearly; I've been rooting for you from the start, and 'sharing' your experiences also helps me in incalculable ways...

Tomorrow I'll jump on and tell you how my journey began...but right now I just want to take my butt to bed!

Goodnight!

Posted by: apple430 ()
Date: February 04, 2008 12:11PM

Hi girls!

I'm baaack smiling smiley. I've decided that I do want to start posting again, and I also want to aim for 100% raw. This weekend after feeling so "free" with my raw/cooked balance and not "having to" write my food down anymore I definitely overate on cooked food. The result: nausea and exhaustion, with no motivation do anything! I did drag my butt to downtown Bangkok and explore, and the whole time I kept thinking how much more I could be enjoying it if I had stuck to raw. Amazing how much of an effect food can have! So I'm back at it and I've decided to take it one day at a time. Tomorrow I will be 100% raw. That's my only goal for now. I look forward to seeing how it makes me feel!

I stocked up on tomatoes, spinach, raw ACV, avocado, sunflower seeds, raisins, and oranges tonight. Yes Thai fruit is extremely cheap but I think coming home and making salads every night is better for me than fruit dinners, and will help me more easily stick to raw.

One of my hesitations of aiming for 100% was the fact that my previous ED was very similar to a raw foods diet. I ate many, many meals of just raw fruits and vegetables. I am scared of bingeing again because that was such a horrible feeling, and somewhat worried that if I stick to 100% raw the binges will come back. However, I have thought about some differences between the 100% raw diet that I am striving for and my previous ED:

1) with my ED I ate a TON of artificial sweeteners (splenda on everything, diet drinks, etc)...what a great way to mess with your body and cause binges (since I "binged" on no calorie products)
2) I also did not allow myself any fats with my ED - no nuts, seeds, avocados, etc...these will help me stay satisfied on raw!

I really think that by focusing on natural foods and giving my body food whenever it wants I will not binge anymore. I'm at least ready to try because I am so tired of being tired after I eat!

I missed you girls! Sorry I couldn't comment on everything since I've been "gone", lol...but I look forward to checking in tomorrow!

Date: February 04, 2008 02:39PM

Welcome back!!! I am thrilled that you have decided to rejoin us, and we will be here to support you every step along the way.

Sometimes going back to the "dark" side helps you see the light :-). Remember, this is a lifelong process. You won't necessarily decided to eat 100% raw your entire life, but it sounds like you have decided that is what is best for you now. Looking forward to your updates!

Date: February 04, 2008 04:22PM

Yea!!! Good to have you back, whatever percentage of raw you decide to be; you'll have plenty of support and encouragement! One day at a time is the best way to go...

Date: February 04, 2008 11:10PM

Amy: One thing you might want to consider, which I think will make it much easier for you to stick to a 100% raw plan (if that is what you so choose), is to eat basically the same thing each day at roughly the same time. I know it might sound boring, but could be a great way to ensure that you stay 100% raw while you are transitioning from a somewhat cooked food lifestyle to a 100% raw one. I know that helps me a lot -- to know exactly what I am going to eat each day at exactly what time. We are creatures of habit, I like to say, and I think it is totally true.
Also, if you do decide to do this, be sure that your daily eating plan incorporates enough foods that you love and enough calories to keep you satisfied.

I am feeling great about being 100% raw for February! It feels effortless and I just enjoy food so much. My one last food demon that I need to overcome is night eating. I always want to eat lots of fat at night, even when I am not really that hungry. Like last night when I was packing my lunch I ended up eating way too many carrots with raw tahini. Way too much fat at night! I know it is all or nothing for me when it comes to night eating, so I can't even eat one carrot after I decide I am done eating for the day.

Also, about Lara bars, I am not ready to give these up fully yet. I think eating 1 a day for now is reasonable for me, as long as I keep it to only one! The best way to do it is to bring one to school and eat it at some point during the day. I have complete and total control all day; night is the only time that is problematic for me.

Grand total today:
-smoothie (1 c raw almond milk, 1 banana, 4 TBSP of raw hemp protein powder)
-2 apples
-lara bar
-2 bananas
-BIG salad (greens, spinach, celery, carrots, red peppers, chick pea sprouts, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers) with EVOO & vinegar
-I am not planning to eat anything else today, except I have some of the above salad left so I might finish that.

Monday is my day off of exercise. I don't have time to get to the pool today. My arms are actually kinda sore from my pull-ups and press-ups in the pool yesterday. Glad I am back into arm strengthening – it is amazing how quickly you can lose tone and strength if you stop focusing on a certain part of your body. I REALLY want to go to that 5:30-7am spinning class tomorrow morning, so I am going to try to go to sleep earlyish tonight.

Ok, that's all for now.

Have a nice evening, ladies!

Date: February 04, 2008 11:45PM

Soraya, I’m happy that you’re going to journal with us! I think you & I posted at the same time last night smiling smiley Your dinner salad sounds so good…I love kale & avocado together! Thanks for the feedback re: my bagel cravings. It is definitely a comfort food for me and I need to go cold-turkey. I gave the rest of the bagels to my coworkers today. You seem to do really well w/ food combining- that could be why your body is so sensitive to anything blended. I think it means your body is very pure and clean, which is a good thing!

Becky, congrats on another 100% raw day! You are doing so well. I love the feeling at the end of the day when I’ve eaten completely raw, my body feels so light and peaceful.

Amy, welcome back! I think I would have done the exact same thing as you- ate more cooked food than I would have liked and ran back to 100% raw! In fact I kind of did just that yesterday, lol. My advice would be to give yourself some leniency- it doesn’t have to be 100% raw or binging. If you want a cooked food, go ahead and have it if you think you’ll binge w/o it. I think the transition to 100% takes time and there are many steps backwards- but ultimately you’ll be able to do 100% in your own time when it’s right for you.

I’m feeling a lot better today. I am just really frustrated lately with how horrible I feel, since going raw I have felt SO great and am used to having tons of energy and feeling radiant and healthy. I feel so UNHEALTHY now- I have no energy, I can’t do the workouts I’m used to doing, my skin looks like crap (comparatively speaking at least), and I have circles under my eyes even though I’m sleeping at least 7 hours a night. I feel like this shouldn’t be happening to me, b/c I’m so healthy all the time, but I can’t control it. And honestly, I’m getting to the point where I’m just mad. I’m mad that some guy did this to me. I’m mad that we live in a world where people brutally attack other people for no apparent reason other than to presumably satisfy some animalistic desire and then leave those people to live or die as they may. I am NOT by any means an angry person, but as I recover and get past the physical wounds, this has been bothering me more & more. I’m a real person, with a family, with a life, with plans for the future. I have parents who put all their hopes and dreams into my life since the day I was born. I have 22 years of connections, of memories, of ambitions. I have ideas for how to make the world a better place. He was willing to beat that all into oblivion for reasons I can’t begin to understand. And my normal outlet for stress/negative emotions is running…which I obviously can’t do. Other cardio isn’t the same. I need to find a healthy outlet for these emotions, huh? Maybe drawing?

Anyway, I feel good today and I have more energy than usual. When I told my mom, she just said, “That’s b/c it’s Monday! You’ll feel run down by the end of the week.” It’s sad but probably true. But hey, I’ll take what I can get! I felt so crummy yesterday that I went to bed at 8:15. I did get up at 5 AM though, so I didn’t sleep for like 11 hours! LOL.

Today:
-small banana
*45 mins. arc trainer*
-2.5 bananas (all small), 1 c. OJ, tiny bit of raw almond butter for satiety
-banana
-cashew cookie lara bar, apple
-apple, banana
-salad w/ the usual – romaine & baby romaine, red & yellow peppers, carrots, cucs, tomato, cauliflower, raw ACV

I am really craving a salad, so I can’t wait for dinner!

Date: February 05, 2008 12:32AM

Becky: This may sound a bit like the advice you gave to Amy - which I second, by the way! - about eating enough to satisfy you. Until very recently I was in your boat, too - cool during the day and a raging beast at night! What I've been doing is trying to eat a lot more (of everything) and I've had great success with that so far...no cravings or binges!

Amy: Be gentle with yourself! This is not an easy process, and it will take a little time to figure out what you need and how to best handle things; give yourself permission to take things at your own pace. Keep your big WHY always in focus, and it'll make things a lot easier in the long (and short) run...

Danielle: Yep, I'm a big kale and avocado fan!!! I spent like 30-45 minutes chewing away, and loved every minute of it! Was planning on having another one later tonight but I actually think I'm about done for the day... winking smiley

I think you're doing great, and it's wonderful to see how honestly you expressed how you are feeling right now. I'm an artist, so this may be slightly biased, but drawing/art is an excellent way to explore all your emotions right now - it's certainly helped me through some dark, dark places. Also writing helps immensely...I've written some pieces over the years that detail more accurately my thoughts than my spoken words ever could...sometimes I tumble over words when I speak, but it's altogether a different story with my poetry/free verse...

Okay...have to run in a minute, so here's my food for the day;

- juice of 5 oranges
-5 clementines
-1 grapefruit
- 3 bananas
- 1 simply DIVINE cantalope (never eaten a whole one before, but man this was sooooo good!!!)

- Jumbo romaine heart with sprouted beans, alfalfa sprouts, shredded carrot and cashews ( one of my favorite go-to meals...yummmm!)

Bigggg {{{{{{{HUGGGGSSSSS}}}}}} to you all and have a wonderful night!

Date: February 05, 2008 01:53PM

Danielle, you have every right to be angry. I am happy to hear that you are getting your emotions out (at the very least by typing them) rather than keeping things bottled up. You ARE a strong person, and you WILL get through this. We are here to support you, even if it is only online!

Becky, I know that a lot of people do like to eat the same thing every day. For me I just find myself craving different things too much. For example, I've had so much Thai fruit since I've been here that tonight I couldn't even look at a papaya. So I bought imported (bad, I know! I try to eat local as much as possible) plums and they tasted so good to me. In another few days I'll need to switch it up again. I'm just like that.

Anyway, I did it! 100% raw today with lots of delicious food smiling smiley:

B: 3 bananas, 3 small oranges, about 3 TBSP sunflower seeds
Workout: 5 mile run/walk (had no energy today, it's amazing I even did that) and 10 pushups, lol
L: Salad with tomato, lettuce, onion, carrots, cucumber, a whole avocado, and lime juice squeezed on top...delicious! 2 bananas for dessert
Snack: grapes with raw nuts and raisins
D: salad with spinach, carrot, tomato, raw ACV, sea salt (I got that idea from you, Soraya!) 4 plums for dessert and a few raw nuts/raisins

I felt very satisfied today having salad for both lunch and dinner. I was trying to do a lot of all fruit meals before and they always left me wanting something more. I read on these forums that greens can control cravings because they have so many minerals...that definitely worked for me today! Also having some fat with every meal worked well for me today.

Like I said, I am doing this one day at a time...so I look forward to aiming for 100% raw again tomorrow!

Date: February 05, 2008 04:53PM

Wow, this is fun having so much activity on the thread! Loving it :-).

Danielle: You have every right to be angry, and I am glad to see that you are expressing your emotions. I also think that you have a very healthy appreciation for all of the gifts that you have in the world. I still think your idea to join the LAPD is a fantastic one! Please do keep us updated about that.
When I hear about horrible attacks, such as the one that you experienced, I also ask questions about "the system." What is it about our society that creates people that are capable of doing such horrible things. Even serial killers were once babies and children. Once they were innocent. Are people born inherently bad, or did something in their upbringing cause them to commit crimes? I think a lot of problems in our society tend to come from economic inequity, which is one of the reasons that I wanted to go to law school in the first place -- to make policies that narrow the stratification in our society. I am not exactly sure what that means for my life or future career, but hearing stories such as yours encourages me to change the "system" as much as possible.

Soraya: Sounds like you are continuing to do well! Thanks for your advice about eating more during the day. However, I really think my night eating is more out of habit than hunger. I feel quite satisfied and full throughout the day.

Amy: Sounds like you are doing great! It is good that you know yourself and are aware that you need to mix it up to keep things interesting. I totally agree with you -- if I eat only fruit I get really hungry. Eating a salad with lots of greens, and various other colored veggies keeps me full for much longer than any fruit.

I have been drinking smoothies every morning the past few days, and love them! However, they definitely make me hungry. I think it is due to the fact that they spike my blood sugar, but don't require my body to do much digesting since they are already blended. However, I am going to stick with it for now. I think starting my day with raw hemp protein powder is what my body needs.

So far today:
-smoothie (1 c raw almond milk, 1.5 bananas, 4 TBSP of raw hemp protein powder)
-apple
-lara bar
-green tea & water

Plan for the rest of the day:
-another apple
-big salad with the usual
-2 bananas

I didn't make it to spinning this morning. I teach a legal writing class until 10pm on Monday and by the time I get home it is way too late. I think I just need to accept the fact that I need 8 hours of sleep a night to give me energy for my very full and busy days. I am going to try to make it to the pool after class at 8:30. Hope I am able to.

Well, I did end up snacking a bit when I got home last night -- some grapes, a few dried mangoes, and some carrots with raw tahina. Not so, so bad but still not great. I am thinking of maybe trying to eat everything later in the day than normal so that I don't feel the need to eat when I get home. Advice?

Still going strong 100% raw for February and feel great!

Have a good day, ladies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2008 04:55PM by optimist4life.

Date: February 05, 2008 11:57PM

Amy, way to go with getting back on track and feeling good about what you are feeding your body. I really like sea salt...I only use it in two instances, though, both of which you've already seen (kale 'salad' and cukes/tomatoes). I just can't do it without any salt yet... winking smiley

Becky, what time do you normally begin eating? And how often do you need to eat during the day (for example, I need to eat about every couple of hours when I have fruit or salad without any fats ... if I don't, it's not pretty!!)? While it may not be the case for you, I found that eating my fruit earlier in the day followed by veggies and greens afterwards made the hugest (I know it's not a word!) difference in managing my hunger / cravings, and I don't have any munchies at night at all, now. Just my experience...

Danielle, hope you've had a good day today!

The past few days I've not been able to stay on long...sorry! Hoping to amend that soon. Here's my tally for the day:

- water
- 8 clementines
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 mango
- 1 cantalope
- 3 bananas
- 1 cuke, tomatoes, parsley and sprinkle CSS
- @ 4 cups kale, 1 avocado and sprinkle CSS
- a handful of cashews

Have a good night!

Date: February 06, 2008 01:19AM

Soraya: to answer your question, I usually begin eating about 8am and eat pretty much throughout the day. This was today, for example (times approximate)

-8am smoothie (1 c raw almond milk, 1.5 bananas, 4 TBSP of raw hemp protein powder)
-10am apple
-noon lara bar
-2pm 1/2 big salad with the usual (spinach, cherry tomatoes, celery, carrots, peppers, sprouted chick peas) & banana
-4pm apple
-6pm other half of my salad & banana
-8pm handfull of almonds

I generally go to bed about midnight and (lately) have been getting up about 7:30-8. Although I would really like to go to bed at 10:30 and get up at 6 for spinning. Hasn't been happening lately though since I often stay at school so late (I am still here -- working on a memo that is due tomorrow).

Date: February 06, 2008 03:41AM

hey girls, i am dead tired and too cold to not be under a pile of blankets so i'm going to post really quickly and comment tomorrow! i didn't feel that good today- dizzy & nauseous. not sure why, it seems to be touch & go at this point, which is frustrating.

food:

-2 bananas w/ 1.5ish T almond butter
-2 raw energy bites, banana
-banana, 2 apples
-banana
-carrots, cauliflower & a tomato w/ fresh guacamole (YUM!), an apple, and a raw energy bite

that doesn't look like much food but i think it adds up to nearly 1250 calories- which i know isn't a lot, but i was feeling pretty sick most of the day. i'm surprised i managed to eat that much! i was hungry for dinner & the guac was soooo good. no workout today- getting back to the gym tomorrow though!

i'm going to bed at 9 PM tonight. or maybe earlier. all i do lately is sleep, work, workout & eat! it's driving me crazy but my body seems to need tons of sleep right now!

Date: February 06, 2008 12:41PM

Danielle, I am sorry that you aren't feeling well, but also glad to hear you are giving your body the rest it needs. I am continually impressed by your strength, and am confident that you will have many better days soon!

Well today was day 2 of 100% raw for me...

B: 3 oranges and a few spoonfuls of raw nut/seed/raisin mix
Snack: watermelon and 2 bananas
Workout: 1.7 mile swim...I felt great today!
Lunch: 4 bananas and a salad with lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, carrots, and lime juice...huge meal but I wasn't even that full afterwards!
Snack: Grapes
Dinner: small salad with spinach, carrot, cucumber, ACV, and sea salt, a few plums, and about 2 handfuls of raw nut/seed/raisin mix

I agree with Becky...I am loving all the activity on the thread! Looking forward to hearing from everyone soon...

Date: February 06, 2008 02:40PM

Danielle: Sorry you aren't feeling well :-(. Hope you feel better!

Amy: Sounds like you are doing great -- keep it up!

Well, I have decided that I am allowed to eat whenever I want for now. I will slowly cut back eating at night as I get more and more settled into my 100% rawness. I also realized that many times I ate yesterday, I wasn't really all that hungry -- I just ate because I felt like I was supposed to. So I think I am going to stick with my daily eating plan, and just eat whatever I want (of this list) whenever I feel the need:

-1.5 bananas, almond milk, and hemp protein (my daily breakfast)
-2 more bananas
-2 apples
-lara bar
-big salad (veggies with sprouted beans & some sort of fat -- olives, olive oil, flax seeds, or flax seed oil, or avocado with raw ACV) -- probably 1/2 for lunch and 1/2 for dinner
-a handfull of nuts & raisins

That looks like the right amount of food for the day, is quite balanced, healthy and raw. So I'll just spread that throughout the day and save some for the evening, since I guess that's what my body needs -- food at night. I'll re-assess foods, amounts, and eating times March 1. But for now, that sounds good to me :-).

Still going strong 100% raw for February :-).

Date: February 06, 2008 03:21PM

I entered that list into Fitday, just to see how many calories that is: 1483. I think keeping my calories around 1500 is probably good for now, since I have a decent workout 5-6 times a week. I plan to eat roughly the same thing every day (I actually really like the routine for now), weigh myself March 1 and then determine whether I should keep it the same or eliminate an item or two from the list.

I am feeling pretty good overall with what I have been eating every day, so now it is just a matter of refining my diet through small changes until I find the perfect balance.

I am excited! Feel like I am almost there in terms of eating what I like, what I need, getting the proper amount of nutrients, and restricting my calories enough to get down to the weight that I want to be. Looking forward to seeing what the scale says March 1! I think I'll just weigh myself the first of each month.

Looking back at my "diet" and weight loss history, I think my problem was always wanting to find a quick fix. Now that I am thinking of this as a lifelong process and slowly making small changes, I am confident that this is the healthiest and best long-term approach.

Thanks for letting me ramble :-).

Date: February 07, 2008 02:19AM

Hey everyone. Thanks for all of your kind words & continued support smiling smiley Things are rough, I feel like absolute crap today (so nauseous) and am going to lay down in a minute, but I couldn't go one day w/o checking in here!

Becky, I think you have the right idea of allowing yourself to eat whenever you want, and eat whatever you want. IMO, it's crucial when you're first going 100% to get enough of the things you want and not deprive yourself at all. Isn't it great how we can eat so much raw food and still come in at a low calorie count? I swear the raw food "diet" could change the world (if only people would be willing to give it a try!).

Amy & Soraya, all your fruit sounds so good. I'm getting bored of my apples, bananas & OJ! LOL.

Anyway, I called the doctor again today and was assured that what I'm experiencing is totally normal and expected. Apparently I have post-concussion syndrome, where I feel the effects of the concussion such as fatigue, memory problems, nausea, dizziness and brain fog. It could last for months. In severe cases, it never goes away completely- but I'm not thinking about that right now. It's been not even 3 weeks, I have every reason to believe this will clear up in due time. It really does get in the way of life though. Work is horrible when you feel like you're going to pass out and/or throw up and can barely remember what you're doing. I decided to take a break from the gym for at least one more day this week (tomorrow) b/c I need to start feeling better.

today:

*1 hour elliptical hills - may have been too much bouncing around?
-2 bananas, 1 T raw almond butter
-banana
-apple before lunch b/c it was 2 pm and i was starving, then we got a surprise free company lunch! salad w/ mesclun greens, chopped carrots, cucs, green pepper (urgh, they said red peppers! liars!), tomatoes, scallions, a few slices of avo, and the raw ACV that I brought to work today for the lunch I had planned! Weird how that happened!

That's it...I'm way to sick to eat anything else right now. Oh well. I hope to have better news tomorrow!

Date: February 07, 2008 05:17AM

Danielle: I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling so poorly :-(. You survived quite an ordeal and it is SO SO upsetting that you are still dealing with the negative effects. I really hope you feel better soon! You might want to consider stationary biking for now (less bouncing around).

I am feeling great about being 100% raw! Once I get through tomorrow, I will have completed my first week of February 100% raw, yay! Even though I was mostly raw before, the few nibbles of cooked food (and sometimes more than nibbles) were really standing in my way of getting to where I want to be. I just feel much, much better. My body really feels great!

So, I tried spacing my food out throughout the day and did a pretty good job. I went swimming late this evening and then went back to school for a meeting, so I didn't get home until almost midnight.

Let's see if I can remember everything today that I ate...

-smoothie (1c raw almond milk, 1.5 bananas, 4 tbsp raw hemp protein)
-banana
-apple
-lara bar
-big salad -- I ate the WHOLE thing at lunch (greens, celery, cherry tomatoes, yellow pepper, chick pea sprouts, olives, and raw ACV)
*swam a mile
-throughout the evening: a few nuts, banana, 2 apples, small box of raisins, lara bar

WOW! Must have been hungry after the swim. 2 lara bars -- bad, bad!! Other than that I feel good. In the future, I'll try to push off eating a lara bar until I absolutely must, just to be sure I can stick to eating only one a day.

I think I might also increase the number of apples I eat each day. I LOVE them, and they could be a great way to keep me away from the lara bars. I think it takes longer to eat an apple, they have a great crunch, and are deliciously sweet.

I think I am going to say NO Lara bars tomorrow -- just fruit, veggies, maybe a few olives, raisins, and almonds.

Yay, finally Thursday! It's all downhill from here as M-W are my CRAZY days. I don't think I am going to even attempt getting up for spinning in 5.5 hours, I'll just plan on swimming a mile at some point throughout the day.

Good night!

Date: February 07, 2008 05:22AM

Wow, I just got an email from my gym (where I do spinning across the street) that it will be closed for renovation!

Thank goodness I also love swimming and there is a great gym at school!

I sure will miss my Saturday spinning classes though :-(.

Date: February 07, 2008 12:32PM

Hey ladies,

Danielle, I am sending lots of positive thoughts and energy your way. If anyone can make it through this, you can. You are incredibly strong! I like Becky's idea of the stationary bike. I know it isn't the same as running but it might be worth it if it helps speed your recovery.

So I found out about this raw foods restaurant in Bangkok today and just HAD to go. I am so happy I did because it was FANTASTIC. I've never had "raw gourmet" before and it was truly heaven. I know that kind of food tastes good because they use a fair amount of nuts, oils, etc, but I see nothing wrong with going once in a while as a treat. I've decided to make it a weekly event!

B: 3 oranges and a few sunflower seeds
L: At the restaurant: fresh pineapple, lime, and mint juice/tomato, parsley, and avocado soup (this was divine and not too heavy, the parsley was so fresh and delicious)/a raw veggie sandwich on dehydrated celery and carrot bread with a side salad that had literally the best dressing I've ever tasted. I asked them what was in it and they said tamarind and avocado. Then I treated myself to a raw brownie with raw banana-macadamia ice cream. Yes it was indulgent but soooooooo worth it! I can't wait to go back and try everything else on the menu!
Workout: 5 mile run, pushups, abs, stretching, and some yoga moves
D: I'm typing this at 7pm my time and I'm still not hungry after my huge lunch, but I'll probably eat some fresh pineapple while watching Oprah tonight smiling smiley

Date: February 07, 2008 04:04PM

Amy: That sounds delicious!!

This morning I realized I was out of bananas, so I decided to try something creative: smoothie with raw almond milk, raw hemp protein, dates, and spinach. It was DISGUSTING! I could barely get it down, and ended up throwing half of it away. Sad because the almond milk and hemp protein is not cheap, but I really could not stomach it. I think I am going to just stick with bananas.

That is all I have had today. Plan for the day is to eat maybe 3-4 apples, 2-3 bananas, and my usual big salad with sprouts and olives.

Plus swimming tonight after class.

I'll check in tonight.

Have a good day, ladies!

Date: February 07, 2008 06:52PM

Amy, wow all of that raw gourmet food sounds amazing! It's so good to treat yourself to stuff like that once in a while. Yum!

Becky, that sucks about your gym closing for renovation. Good thing you have other options! Also I tried doing spinach in my smoothies a few times and I thought it was gross, too.

I took today off from work b/c I think I have some sort of stomach flu. I spent all night thinking I was going to puke! I was in bed for 12 hours and only got up to give the cats more food. This morning I thought I'd try and go to work, but I almost passed out in the shower. I had some fruit this morning though (a cup of OJ and 2 bananas) and that actually made me feel a little better. I wasn't able to eat anything after lunch yesterday so I think I was really low on energy/calories this morning. My stomach feels pretty gross now, but I'm resting for the day and I hope it's a 24-hour thing and I'll feel better tomorrow! I'm not going to post food today b/c I'm not sure what I'll be able to eat (or even if I'll be able to eat).

Date: February 08, 2008 03:17AM

Danielle:
I am glad that you took a day off of work. It sounds like you sure needed it! Are you feeling better?

Quick food check-in:

-a few sips of that yucky smoothie (almond milk, hemp powder, spinach, dates)
-apple
-1/2 salad (greens, red & yellow pepper, cucumber, sprouted chick peas & olives with raw ACV)
-apple
-other half of the salad
-small box of raisins & a few peanuts
*swam a mile
-3 apples

Feeling good and getting ready to go to bed. I managed to not eat a lara bar, and only eat a few apples after swimming.

It's weird, I wasn't really hungry all day and sort of forced myself to eat the salad. I got hungry, of course, after swimming. However, I was wondering what that's all about -- not being hungry. Maybe my body is feeling satisfied with fewer calories? Thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2008 03:19AM by optimist4life.

Current Page: 9 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables