Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

thoughts/experiences with 80/10/10
Posted by: claire ()
Date: March 30, 2008 08:24PM

A thread for everyone who would like to discuss 80/10/10....

Well, I got the book a couple of weeks ago. I really liked it and I have started to implement it slowly - way too much info for me to absorb all in one go! Need to read it a couple more times to get my head round it all.

So at the moment I am just focussing on trying to get more fruit calories each day and trying to get under 20% fat each day.

I'm still finding it hard to eat enough fruit calories because I feel so FULL! But of course then I end up reaching for the fats or SAD because my body needs the calories from somewhere GRRRRRR

Anyone else finding the volume of food difficult?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thoughts/experiences with 80/10/10
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 31, 2008 01:47AM

I am here Claire - going at it full force tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes!

Date: March 31, 2008 07:50PM

Hi Veggie

How's it going then with the 811?

I noticed on the other forum you posted about the amount of fruit. I agree, even though I'm not following the meal plans and just doing my own thing, it seems SOOOOOO much fruit. Can't believe how much I've had to buy!

Have a little voice in my head saying that is TOO much fruit sugar...but there again, the alternatives seem to be lots more fats for calories, which doesn't feel good to me, or else just lower calorie generally with more veg and less fruit. doesn't feel right either.

So, I guess I'll stick with this a while as it feels good and just see what happens

My boyfriend thinks I'm weird, he couldn't believe it when I ate a bunch of bananas at once yesterday

smiling smiley

Date: April 01, 2008 01:42PM

I felt incredible yesterday, can you believe (I have ths SAME mindset you have about the "forbidden" fruit!) that we can eat all of this fruit and feel so good!? I was completely 100% amazed yesterday. (I was not 100% either, but darn close!) Dinner for me was rough.

I HATED the "soup" - only ate a bit of it. (It was actually like a yucky green smoothie - and most times I love green smoothies. I think it was the orange - and I forgot to deseed the orange before I blended. I once read that orange seeds taste AWFUL.)

The salad was so hugely enormous, although I didn't even use the full 16oz of greens. Weighing out and measureing my stuff has taught me so much in the past few weeks. I had NO IDEA how little I was actually getting. (WHich I think is the main reason I was struggling SO MUCH in the late afternoons. I also read something in his book about how "only" a salad will leave you feeling hungry. That is where I was at - a salad was not enough after an hour or two.)

The dressing for the salad was "okay" - I only had brazil nuts, not pistachios and there was only enough dressing for about 8oz of greens, maybe. I just didn't feel satisfied with the salad - I love big chunky salads with lots of veggies as opposed to a pound of greens. And, I know that this is his way of getting the greens in, but for me blending them into a TASTY green smoothie is way better.

I think that I would be into the more tamato-ey based soups, or some of the other suggestions on here than a lot that he lists in the book. I could see myself becoming a true fruitarian though, wow is it ever a treat to eat all of this fruit!!!

Oh - and one more thing - I was not really that hungry by the time dinner rolled around, which is a new thing for me. Usually I am starving and want all the wrong things. So, while I was disappointed with how the food tasted, I was pretty satisfied after drinking the fresh squeezed juice, and could have stopped there.

I am also going to start really logging things into nutridiary again - I was only doing it here and there, not really keeping track that well before. I think that will also help.

Date: April 01, 2008 03:59PM

Glad to hear you had a good day! You sound like you are enjoying yourself smiling smiley

I too am just loving all this fruit, although I think it will take me a while to get my head round it. Haven't had so much today because I haven't been as hungry, but yesterday boy did I guzzle loads of fruit!!!

And I'm not craving fat - I thought I would, though obviously it's early days . I have been 100% raw since Sunday at the moment and I have only had half an avocado...and that's been fine. Will probably have the rest of the avocado and some seeds over the rest of the week.

I'm also making an effort now to use fitday!!! I need to stick at it for one week solid I think to get an idea of what's happening.

Like you, I was getting a LOT less food than I had thought...like around 1100-1300 a day. That can't be enough, especially when I do quite a lot of exercise.

I guess I thought I was eating a huge amount just looking at the size of my plate - but it was mainly veggies with miniscule amounts of calories.

Partner is out at the pub tonight, so am going to run myself a nice bath and start reading the book again smiling smiley

Have you found that you have more energy?

Date: April 03, 2008 03:19AM

Today was so great!! I ended up eating about 2lbs of pineapple throughout the am, at lunch I had the smoothie with 8oz greens, almost 2lbs of bananas. It was so filling, and very satisfying. I loved it. At dinner I was hungry for food, but not ravished. I made a huge salad and chowed. I was a bit low still on my numbers, but holy cow, it is scary to think about what I was getting before (or...not getting!) How are things on your end? I wonder where the other 80/10/10ers are....are there no others on this forum? I know that we can find some support somewhere.

We are heading to the Keys for the next 3 days. I plan to take my vitamix, the only problem is that we are going with another SAD couple....yikes. Lots of eating out could be an issue. We'll see! If I can keep up like I did today, I will be doing great!

Date: April 03, 2008 07:25PM

Good to hear that things are going so well!

Could be tricky doing 811 on holiday...good luck!

Things are going well my end too. No binges since I started on Sunday smiling smiley Believe me, that is good going. Just haven't had the cravings as bad. And it's been quite an emotional week too - have been transferred to a new office with a manager I don't like and then today got a text message from one of the kids at school who I support telling me she was going for a termination today. 15 years old! I felt so sad about it, especially as I have put a lot of time in with her talking about contraception and respecting yourself, setting her up appointments with the school nurse etc. That would usually be more than enough to start a binge. Have to say I did buy a bag of brazil nuts on the way home, but I only ate half, whereas usually I would eat them all then start looking for more. Actually, they are the first nuts I've had all week and they made me feel ill - bloated, nauseous, headachy, so I'm more convinced than ever that low fat high fruit is the way to go.

My fitday numbers look OK!!! Low on selenium (well not anymore after all those brazils lol) and zinc though. But on the whole I'm pleased. Probably will have too high fat average now after all those nuts, but I've learnt my lesson, I'm not buying any more nuts!!! I will stick to seeds I think..I don't pig out on them smiling smiley

I really think you're right...we weren't getting enough before at all. No wonder we had such bad cravings smiling smiley I reckon I could do with even more calories, it's just trying to get them in because I'm feeling FULL!

Date: April 08, 2008 02:35AM

Hey Claire!
I will be back on here tomorrow, going at it full force again. How are things on your end? I had stopped tracking my food too, going to try one of the other places people have mentioned on one of the other threads - fitday.com or something else. I have been using nutridiary and not really that thrilled with it.

Oh - you use fitday! Do you like it?
Nuts for me are of no interest. Now, give me an avacado and a bit of salt....forget about it! The only problem I have for tomorrow is that my fruit isn't "that" ripe, but hopefully I can come up with enough. I have a ton of citrus which I really just don't enjoy eating! I love to juice it, but hate to just sit and eat oranges. Yuck. Or grapefruits. Ew. I used to, so I am hoping that I amjust going through a spell! Talk soon, Andrea

Date: April 08, 2008 01:46PM

I am starting a diary here to track what I have been eating, hopefully that will help!

AM - green smoothie (1 1/2 lb bananas, 12oz savoy cabbage, 1 scoop chia seeds)

Date: April 08, 2008 05:21PM

Hi VF

Glad to hear you are back on track, that's great! smiling smiley

I was doing brilliantly and feeling so good, now I have had a couple of days of SAD in a big way sad smiley((

You know how it is.....!!!

Still think I am not getting enough calories for my activity level...and that eating too much fat jump starts all my cravings. Made a raw strawberry pie for a colleague's birthday (lots of nuts!) and a slice of that has set me right off on craving all kinds of rubbish. Whereas when I was eating very very little fat I wasn't suffering too bad with cravings.

I like fitday. I switched to nutridiary after reading in 80/10/10 it was supposed to be better, but I couldn't get on with it at all. Fitday is probably more basic, but then it's clearer and simpler to use in my opinion.

Funny, I am in a phase at the moment where I could eat oranges all day and night!!!

have fun, don't worry if you have a bad day, every time I come off 80/10/10 I can't wait to get back on it smiling smiley

Posted by: Mona ()
Date: April 10, 2008 01:02PM

Hi Claire,

I've been interested in 80-10-10 for a while, but didn't buy the book, yet. I'm not buying anymore books until I get back to the States next year and I have a long list that keeps getting longer. I just don't want to have to move them. Hope you don't mind my questions.

How many pounds of greens does it say to eat a day? What are the basic guidelines? Any suggestions on cutting fat? Cutting fat has been the hardest part for me. Plus, I whenever I try, I'm always more around 75 6 19 with 19 being the fat. I'm not sure which 10 is the fat and which is the protien. And I can only manage for a few days to a week. I use nutridiary, too, when I think of it. I was really obsessed when I started out.

If you could eat oranges day and night, why not? Maybe you need them. Anyway, good luck with sticking to the 80-10-10. I'll join you on this. A food diary is a good idea. I'm dry fasting around 16 hours a day and by doing 80-10-10 too, I may get the results I'm looking for.

Do you mind if I ask you questions as they come up? I find this really interesting because it's something I would like to do but need to learn more about it.

All my best,

Mona

GRACE = Gently Releasing All Conscious Expectations

Date: April 11, 2008 04:33PM

Hi Mona

nice to hear from you smiling smiley

I'm still reading the book as there was too much to absorb in one reading!!!

But...the basic guidelines seem to be eat a LOT of fruit and keep the fats VERY low.

the fruit is for calories, and the quantities that are given as examples are really quite large - I find it difficult to eat the amount of fruit that would be recommended for my calorie needs. As for greens, I don't think (though if I find otherwise I will let you know) there is a recommended amount as such. I think basically one or two large salads containing substantial amounts of leafy greens would do it.

As for the fat, 10% fat is really VERY low as you get small amounts of fat from all the fruits and veggies as well. If you just ate fruit and veg all day, no seeds/nuts/avocados/oils, you would be 10% or under I would say. I found using fitday that it didn't take much fat at all to tip me over...say a tablespoon of seeds would be OK. But the 80/10/10 ratio is intended to be an average...so it is suggested that if you eat, say, a whole avocado, you might want to skip fat the day afterwards to even things out.

I was worried about cutting fat, but actually it seemed OK. The problems came for me when I fell off the wagon and ate fatty SAD for a couple of days - now I have bad cravings again! Looks like fat triggers cravings for me! If you use oil on your salad, you could cut that out. I stopped buying nuts, because I was bingeing on them and also seemed to be getting some kind of allergic reaction. That has helped with getting the fat % down. Also I have stopped buying coconuts. I can't get young coconut where I am, so I was eating the mature ones with more fat.

Hope that helps?

Claire

Posted by: Mona ()
Date: April 17, 2008 01:59PM

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the info. That’s really helpful. Like you, I binge on nuts. I can easily eat a half a bag in an afternoon, then feel horrible afterwards, not just because I’m beating myself up about eating that many, but physically. They always give me an upset stomach. It’s while I’m eating them that feels so good and tastes so good. Do you experience anything like that?

I usually use a nut-based salad oil. It’s nuts, cucumber, or tomato, celery stick, green onions, lemon/lime/orange juice sometimes salt, or herb, depending on what flavor I feel like having. Have you tried anything similar?

Seems like the fatty SAD diet is addictive and creates cravings. I still want to eat some of the food my husband cooks because the smell brings back good memories. I just tell myself, “not tonight.” That helps me. This way it’s not forever, it’s just for that night. I do that all the time, and before I know it, lots of nights have passed and I’ve been 95%-100% raw for weeks, or months. I usually go out to an Indian restaurant with my husband once or twice a year on special occasions. I do it for him, because I love the way he is when he’s really, really happy, and that makes him really, really happy. I just eat lightly for a couple of days afterward.

Best,

Mona

The distance is nothing; it is only the first step toward it that is difficult.

Date: April 18, 2008 01:23PM

I have been so addicted to this smoothie!! In the book he uses about 2lbs of bananas, and lettuce.

I have been using about 1 1/2 lbs of bananas and lots of spinach or darker leafy greens (usually 10oz or a little more.) I am in heaven!! I am loving the taste of it (spinach is delish - cabbage okay, lettuce is good, and haven't done kale yet.) and feel great because I am getting so many greens in as well as the calories from the fruit. It makes a huge smoothie, and holds me over for a three to four hours. I wake up craving it!

Oh, and I add chia seeds too

Date: April 18, 2008 02:20PM

Yum...haven't tried that yet smiling smiley

Date: April 20, 2008 01:03PM

Today is day 3 of 100% raw again. (The whole week was at least 75% or more) I can't understand why this can be a challenge for me - and I am writing this here in case I need some extra support later in the week, or heck, even later in the day. Since I have been eating 100% the past couple of days I start to question why I would consider even tasting cooked food again. I feel the best I have felt in so long (since a few weeks ago when I was 100%) and the foods I am eating are so totally satisfying!!

Yesterdays log:
Breakfast
Smoothie: 1 1/2 lb bananas (about six)
10 oz spinach
1 scoop chia seeds

Gym workout - weights and mild cardio

Lunch
2lbs pineappe

Dinner
2 Roma tomatoes
cucumber sliced, unpeeled
2 vine ripe tomatoes
1 yellow squash (summer)
3tblsp nutritional yeast (oops, I don't think this is raw)

Snack
1lb (approx) red grapes

Today I started my day out the same - with the same smoothie that I am totally addicted to. I may even want to have it for lunch! I am not sure what lunch will be, that is definitely my toughest meal though. I have always just reached for quick and easy to get moving through the rest of the day,however, what could be easier than chowing on fruit!? Hardly any prep to beat. Okay, hope everyone here has a great day! VF

Date: April 22, 2008 02:17AM

Today I was not planning to but ended up pretty much mono eating. I ate two bananas for breakfast, two at lunch, then two more at around four. At six-ish, I had a six banana (1 1/2lb), 12 oz spinach, and one scoop of chia seed smoothie. I felt amazing!! Still do!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2008 01:20AM

Hey there, ex-forum-lurker here! This forum seems real nice so I decided to finally post.
So how are you all doing on 80/10/10? I was hoping that I could also write my daily eatings here to help keep me 100%. I always found group support to be helpful smiling smiley
Claire - I just got the book last week, have you had a chance to finish it? The sample meals help me big time, didn't know 4lbs of watermelon for breakfast was even possible (though I can only go as much as 2lbs)
Veggiefreak - How are you doing? I usually end up eating mono meals also, mostly cause they're so simple. I've always stunk at recipes smiling smiley

Date: May 10, 2008 02:32AM

I LOVE BEING RAW!!!!
Things on my end are great, thanks for asking OK. Here is what my day is typically like -

first food - juice two oranges, put into vitamix, add two bananas, 1/2 scoop chia seeds...blend. Totally Delish!

lunch-ish - raw veggies - lately just some cukes, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower.

Snack - about 1lb fresh mixed fruit

dinner-ish - 10 oz dark leafy greens (usually spinach, red chard, broccoli sometimes, cabbage, or often kale) with almost 2lb bananas. Sometimes I add a scoop of chia seeds again (which might put me a bit over the 10% of fat - I have to recalculate it, but I am not worried about it at all.)

That completes the day, and I feel amazingly terrific. The only thing I ever eat on occasion that is not raw (at least I don't think it is) is nutritional/brewer's yeast on my veggies. Haven't been able to give it up. I have however, given up every other additive - no salt, pepper, processed sugar (I was totally addicted) and/or spice. AND, the best news of all is that I have stuck to this wholeheartedly every single day while going through a divorce!! I am a changed woman! winking smiley

Can't wait to hear more about your progress and how it is going for you OK. I know that Claire is doing the Raw Challange and probably doesn't have much time to get on this site right now. (But, you are definitely missed Claire - hope all is going great on the challenge!!) I would love to hear what you are doing for your mono meals as well. I am not at all into raw "cooking/uncooking" - for years I was a "cook" and now, I love the simplicity of raw foods. I have no desire to mess with the way I eat my food now. I am so satisfied all the time, I feel like there is no need to bother! Anyway, talk soon, VF

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 24, 2008 06:47AM

Thought I would check in here smiling smiley

normally only 8-1-1 weekdays, but loving it so much doing it all the time now!! summer fruits..wonderful

feasting on watermelon this weekend smiling smiley

Date: May 25, 2008 10:49PM

It is SO GREAT!! Would love to hear more about your journey rawdancer - are you doing the boot camp? I can't keep it all straight - maybe it was the green smoothie challange. Either way, it would be great if you could share your daily menu! smiling smiley

Date: May 26, 2008 03:26AM

veggiefreak - Wow - a divorce! That is strength woman! It's usually during stressful times when some would give in to their "comfort foods" but if you could get through a divorce and not veer off track- then you can do it all!

I actually just got over some type of stomach flu thing - which completely screwed my 3 weeks straight of 80/10/10 because I could not even think of solid food without feeling nauseous. So I gave in to dramamine and gatorade, sad smiley yuck I know, but I needed to get better quick since I was going back to work. But I'm back in now, I think i'll write my daily menu here to keep me on track - and get more veggies in. Question: Do you eat your dinner greens straight by themselves with a side of bananas? I have trouble eating greens alone, smoothie maybe but otherwise sad smiley not so much.

rawdanceruk - I just had watermelon all day today - gotta love summer fruit!

Date: May 27, 2008 01:13PM

For dinner I always make a green smoothie - I use about a pound and a half of bananas - maybe 2lbs. I blend those with water, a scoop of chia seeds and then ad about 8oz or more of spinach, cale, cabbage or whatever green I am using. I could NEVER sit and eat a lb of greens that I get in the smoothies. I did try in the beginning of 80-10-10 to do what he recommended with the dressing, etc but did not like it. It was like eating a MOUNTAIN of greens with a pebble of dressing on it. Hated it, hence the need for the smoothies.

Through the divorce I am not eating as much as Dr D recommends, but I just can't make myself do it. I am fine though, at a decent weight (a bit thin) for now and will balance out once the drama is over....will it ever be over?!!? AGH!!! Anyway, do post for sure how you are doing, I love hearing the updates. Don't worry about the time you were sick, you did what your body and your mind needed at the time. Lots of strength heading your way. VF

Date: May 27, 2008 11:29PM

Yeah when I first started I actually attempted and succeeded at eating a whole head of lettuce - ugh felt like crap the rest of the night. Just too full. I just stick to smoothies now mostly.

Today's eating so far:
Breakfast - nothing, not hungry
Lunch - 2 large pears
pre-dinner - 1 large pear & 1.5 oranges
Dinner - not yet, probably 3 bananas & 6 stalk celery smoothie

cals: 856
ratio: 93/04/03
Gotta throw some more greens in...

Good luck with divorce-drama veggiefreak smiling smiley you probably don't need it, sounds like you have this under control.

Date: May 29, 2008 12:58AM

Just checking in:

Breakfast: 1 banana
Lunch:3 bananas
Predinner: 1 banana
Dinner - 1 cantaloupe
2 cups watermelon
1-2 walnuts
cals: 974
ration: 88/06/06

I know I know...more greens.....

How's everyone else doing?

Date: May 30, 2008 05:00PM

HmmmOK - how are you sustaining on so few calories!?!? I couldn't possibly do it, and have to get at least 1600 to 2000 which is optimal for me. Are you active? Everyone is different, but by the time you have eaten your predinner, you have eaten what I would have to eat for breakfast! Are you trying to lose weight as well?

Date: May 30, 2008 11:07PM

I have been eating so little because I'm kind of still recovering from that stomach flu I was talking about I had a week ago - can't really handle the normal amounts I did before but I'm starting to get my appetite again. My job is very sedentary - I'm a receptionist. Mostly at my desk, when I get home I usually jog 2 miles or some type of workout DVD for 45mins - 1hr then I just go to sleep, I'm pretty @#$%& out by 9 o'clock.

I actually am trying to lose weight, but even then I usually try to eat 1200-1300 calories, I heard somewhere that the calories you eat should be your ideal weight times 10 plus the number of calories you burn from exercise. I'm shooting for 110 x 10 = 1100 cals + 200 from activity = about 1300 cals I should eat (and am comfortable at this cal amount).

But you're right 800 - 900 cals would not be enough for me if my stomach was in the usual state it used to be before I got sick smiling smiley believe me I can eat!

Date: June 02, 2008 02:37AM

I went to the 80/10/10 raw food camp last year and they don't have a certain limit to how many greens you can eat. Breakfast is usually a mono meal or semi mono...example: bananas and banana and romaine smoothies. The belief is that you should eat and drink as much or as many smoothies as your body craves. Lunch was usually something similar such as fig/romaine smoothies with a bowl of figs to wrap in romaine lettuce and the same belief applies that you should eat and drink as much as needed. Dinner was a drink of some sort such as tomato/orange blended then a raw soup with a large salad and we all ate extra if we were still hungry.

I have to say that I never felt deprived the whole week and in fact my system ran fully well on the diet. I was not a raw foodist at the time, but I was starting to lean towards it. After a week on the diet, I felt like I looked better than ever, but at the airport, I rebelled and bought spaghetti and ate it. I had to immediately run to the bathroom which tells me that my body did not appreciate this foreign, processed object going into it.

Bottom line, the whole week I never felt that my blood sugar was high at all and I never felt out of whack. My body actually seemed to appreciate it and this has made me go for fruit more often when I had been brainwashed for so long to avoid the sugar in fruit.

80/10/10 believes in some fats but not overdoing them and this week in particular they decided to go low fat so we didn't have any nuts or avocados and I don't think I missed it. Still, it was only a week for me and I still haven't gone all raw. I'm not afraid of eating massive quantities of watermelon anymore, though, like I used to be because of all the bad press of the sugar.

Date: June 04, 2008 01:53AM

lovetoeat - where was this 80/10/10 raw food camp? that sounds great, I would have loved to go. Yeah I used to be skeptical about bananas because of all the sugar & carbs and cals but now I don't think i can go one day without a couple!

Todays eatings:
Breakfast: 1/2 cantaloupe
Lunch: 3 bananas
predinner: 2 bananas
dinner: 2 pineapple slices
2 banana + spinach smoothie

Cals = 971
Ratio: 91/05/04

I'm gettin' my appetite back...sweet smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables