Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My Yorkie's Eye Is Becoming "Cloudy"
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: May 05, 2007 10:25AM

Hello, I have a Yorkshire Terrier who's right eye is becoming "cloudy". I guess its some sort of cataract. I have a Maltese/Bishon mix who has the same problem. I feed them dry dog food and some table scraps like cheese and bread. Is there I can give them raw and vegan that will help?
Thank you sincerely for any reply.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Yorkie's Eye Is Becoming "Cloudy"
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 09, 2007 09:11AM

my dogs eyes were doing the same thing. the vet said something about protein build up...
when I switched her to raw I made the base of her food carrots and its improved about 85%.

Date: May 13, 2007 11:31AM

I brought the maltese/Bishon to the vet and she sayd that it is a common condition or something like that so I am pretty much on my own.

rosiebleu, what kind of meals do you prepare your dogs? i.e. if carrots are 85% what are the other ingedients?
Thanks a million for the advice! It is very much appreciated!

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 26, 2007 02:24AM

A tried and true way to add raw vegs to their regular food is to grate carrot and mix it in. Some dogs will eat around the carrot for the first one or more times, but they have all ended up loving it, so more can be added each day.
Start with just a spoonful or two of grated carrot. The size of grater and amount of carrot depends on the size of the dog and how tolerant he or she is towards new foods.
I also add some good quality oil to the meal and they usually love it - they usually need veg oil and their coats will improve quite quickly.
When I switched dog food brands (all raw meat and vegs for pets), my dogs coat became fluffier within a few days. There is lots of kale in the new one, so maybe thatswhy.
My dog has been all raw since day one with us, but other dog I have cared for respond quickly to raw. They seem to crave it once they get used to it, so you can start experimenting: beets, sprouts, etc. My dog loves broccoli and every kind of veg and fruit except onions and garlic and avocados, all of which I read were bad for dogs and cats.

Good luck with him or her.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 27, 2007 07:57PM

I've been feeding my Maltese raw dog food for most of his life, and he's 8 years old now. He's never had anything wrong with him and he's got tons of energy..good thing since he and I do licensed childcare and have done that also for most of his life.

I feed him raw dog food I get from my pet store, mine is called Natural and I buy the beef..the chicken one gives him the runs sometimes. I also buy beef stew meat and so each mid-morning and each early eve. he gets a small bowl of food. I mix in about 5-7 chunks of the raw food patty, and 5-8 small bites of the raw beef stew.

I also give him raw chicken wing bones on occassion. Only one little one, and only on occassion.

I would hurry up and start my pets on the raw food if you haven't yet. You'll see a big difference in health and energy.

Love,
Prism

Date: July 03, 2007 09:59AM

Thank you all for the advice! I will put it in oractice immediately!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 30, 2007 02:46AM

I'm wondering if you tried the raw foods and how your dog is doing on it?

Love,
Prism

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: August 04, 2007 03:55AM

flowerstar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi, i would suggest raw food, or the brand of food
> called Pro-Plan. My sister's dog loves it and is a
> great food for cats & dogs. Also try wet food; and
> it could be hydration.
>
> good luck!!!
>
> Flowerstar

That is a horrible brand of kibble. Your sister will find this out in a few years when she's bringing the cats in for urinary infections and the dogs get older and start having fatty tumors everywhere. Dogs love greasy hamburgers from Mcdonalds, is she going to feed that too?

Don't give suggestions on things you know nothing about.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: August 04, 2007 03:57AM

Vegan, I"d suggest a holistic vet.

[www.ahvma.org]

And basic info on foods here: www.dogaware.com There are tons of Yahoo groups on every dog behavior problem and health problem too. If you're not going to feed your dogs a species appropriate diet which consists of raw meat; then at least feed a high quality kibble or canned food with supplements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2007 03:57AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 11, 2007 05:52PM

don`t feed pro plan...it`s not a quality kibble
patty

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 18, 2007 10:32PM

Raw food is an excellent choice actually. I don't understand the anger and fear behind some of these posts.. It's just important to be aware of when you are being told to think your choice is right. If you have tried both, and have a good reason to prefer kibble or raw, then great, you know from experience, and you're doing good for your pup..But if one may not be working, it may be a good idea to try something new.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables