Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Shaking Dog Syndrome
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 17, 2011 05:00PM

My 12 yr. old Maltese has what is called small dog shaking syndrome. It's not epilepsy but something else that makes him start to wobble, sometimes making him stiff or paralyed. Often it's only a matter of seconds, and when he sleeps it doesn't seem to bother him during that time.

Anyone else familiar with the syndrome? He doesn't seem to be in any pain only seems perplexed when it happens.

I give him coated baby aspirin on occasion since the syndrome has something to do with brain inflammation.

I've read it happens most often with small breeds, esp. with Maltese but larger dogs also can get it.

Love,
Prism

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shaking Dog Syndrome
Posted by: raw artist ()
Date: July 12, 2011 05:15PM

Preservatives in commercial dog foods can cause seizures & like symptoms. Usually its the BHT, BHA & Ethoxyquin that are the culprits. My lahsa poo was having seizures & I started cooking an anti seizure recipie I found online by a veteinarian. It worked for her & I'm sorry but I don't remember the site. I know it was for epileptic dogs. It not only had the recipie listed but told why each ingredient was included & what it would do for the dog. Be careful with anything you try & find a holistic vet to work with you. Long term use of anti seizure meds can cause your dog liver damage. As I said I'm really sorry I can't find the recipie, but maybe you can. I will say a prayer for him.

Re: Shaking Dog Syndrome
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 17, 2011 10:16PM

Thanks for the response. I have had my dog on raw meat since he was 3 years old.

Today he died in my arms wrapped in his favorite blanket. I had him for just over 12 years and will miss him greatly.

He lived a good life and was very much loved. I'm pretty sure it was congestive heart disease.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables