Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

allergic dog
Posted by: veghead4life ()
Date: December 19, 2006 11:55PM

I recently adopted a 10mo labX and he was itching/biting himself when I got him,vet checked for fleas/mites/worms/etc. He had been fed kibbles that included chicken/rice or lamb/rice. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions and what you feed. I am not against feeding meat, my prior beloved dog ate raw meat/veggies but also some well cooked brown rice or sweet potatoes. Thanks for any input smiling smiley
veghead

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: allergic dog
Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: January 01, 2007 06:50AM

My dog used to itch and bite himself all the time even to the extent that his paw grips were almost all gnawed off.

I stopped buying my dog food from the grocery store because they are packed with a smorgasbord of ingredients and I don't know what my dog could be allergic to. So I went to my Vet and bought a HypoAllergenic dog food and he started healing up very quickly and is doing awesome now.

This is the dog food I swear by:

---
Medi-CalĀ® Canine Vegetarian Formula is specially formulated using high quality proteins from non-meat sources. The nutrient profile of this diet is ideal for the long-term feeding of adult dogs and those with food allergies.

Vegetarian Formula is a gluten-free diet which uses highly digestible and biologically available oats and potato as protein sources. These proteins minimize the effect of diet on the development of metabolic urinary crystals and stones. Flax and primrose oil are used as sources of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which have a beneficial effect on certain skin conditions. This diet is naturally preserved with vitamin E, citric acid, rosemary extract and lecithin.

[www.medi-cal.ca]
---

Happy New Year!

Posted by: annie27 ()
Date: January 04, 2007 11:17PM

But there are lots of raw, free-range meat and vegie dog foods available and they're sooo much better for the dog. They will ship frozen to most places. [www.pet-grub.com] or some brand names are Natural Instinct, Amore, Raw Instinct, and many more I forget!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 09, 2009 03:59AM

I have a chinese crested hairless that is allergic to everything so I know what you are going thru. I had him tested (blood) for food allergies, it was a little expensive but soooo worth it for his health. The vet gave me a list of what he is allergic to so now I know what to feed him, and they told me that it takes 3 months for the previous food to get flushed out of the system ...this is why trying different dog foods (this week I'll try this one and next week I'll try that one) do not work.

Posted by: veghead4life ()
Date: April 19, 2009 04:02PM

Polyholic what foods did you finally find helped your dog? I think I will ask our holistic vet to test mine to see what he may be allergic to altho currently no big issue if I stick to what I am giving although he still likes to lick his forelegs and chest and sometimes nibble on high legs but fortunately nothing that creates a big problem and often he doesn't do it. My vet thinks its environmental but I am keeping a diary and it seems like he licks more when I give him other meats or an egg. Currently for one meal he gets Primal turkey grind and I add lots of crushed veggies. The other meal is mashed pinto beans in olive oil with baked acorn squash. anne

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables