Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dogs back on raw
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: January 04, 2007 07:54PM

After about 3 years on kibble I went back to raw about 6 weeks ago because I felt so good on raw and because my 6 yr old Jack Russell was getting itchy and the 3 yr old had an ear infection and was getting tartar on his teeth and was fat.

Well I'm glad to say that itchiness and ears infections are gone. Extra weight gone, they look so solid and beautiful. Tartar is half gone, but will give them more chewing knuckle type bones and that will hopefully take care of the rest.

I also mix a raw organic egg or some nuts into some green smoothie so they get their minerals etc.

I also give them, as a treat mainly, cuz its so expensive a product by Wysong aclled Archetype, its dehydrated, but that's only until I can make my own when I get my dehydrator.

Made them "cookies" last night, a recipe from my veterinarian.

A couple of eggs, 3/4 cup of almonds and a whole bundh of parsley some apple and bluberry.
Thourougly blend and spread on cookie sheet. They stick bad so use parchment.
The lowest temp I could get on my oven was 170 F so I just baked them for a couple of hours at 250 F. The dogs love them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dogs back on raw
Date: February 03, 2007 01:10PM

My 2 Jackies are more hungry on a raw diet, they chomp down raw fruit and veggies out of my hand all the time now. I still give them some of my green smoothies every day as well, keeping variety in mind for them too. They love nuts but they probably pass right thru them.

My picky eater Pierre, before raw, used to grab a tossed grape out of the air and mouth it possesively and carry it around for a while and I would find it later hidden behind the couch pillow. Now however he pretty much devours everything I toss.

Harry, the other Jack even eats citrus fruits. He had a small wart and a slight swelling on one of his eyes for about a year before I put him back on raw (a few months back) and that wart has fallen off. Could it be the green smoothies?? No grains??

I was only cautiously optimistic that wart would go away and it has!! The area is still slightly swollen on the bad eye, we'll see how that goes.

I wonder, do enlightened vegans buy dogs and cats anyway (knowing their diet)?

At least I only buy organic or naturally raised chicken for them for the most part. I don't know what else to do about that.

Posted by: Marley_Star ()
Date: February 16, 2007 08:26AM

Hi, Dulset...I really enjoy meeting other JRT lovers. My Jack Russell Terrier eats a raw meat diet, with raw veggies and occaisional fruits. I switched her over after she came to live with me in August of last year. She is so funny...she loves wheatgrass and carrots! smiling smiley) I make her "cookies" with apples and carrots mixed with uncooked oats and water, and I kind of dry them out in the oven on a really low temperature. I just ordered a dehydrator, so I will try that recipe that way once it arrives and let you know how they turn out.

I am not a vegan, but my hope is that those people who are vegans would not avoid adopting a dog or cat or other carnivorous animal just because their perfect diet makes them "natural killers". I support adoption and animal rescue over buying animals because that industry is responsible not only for the mis-treatment of helpless beings, but for the commercial promotion of a terrible processed diet endorsed by breeders and veterinarians who simply don't know what is best for these animals.

There are so many animals out there that are not taken care of that would be so much better off with parents who are enlightened. I think that if a vegan or vegetarian can understand that animals need parents to feed them the food that is the healthiest for them, and if they can get past their reservations about supporting a species-appropriate diet, then those lucky adopted doggies and kitties out there will be spared from "iving" on the animal version of the SAD diet.

I hope to adopt another JRT soon...I'll try to post a pic of my little one here.

Cheers! Marley

Date: February 16, 2007 07:38PM

Marley_Star

Yes, my two guys were both rescues, some people aren't prepared for Jacks temprament and character but I consider myself very lucky to have got them.

Yes you're right, there are a lot of pets that need rescuing.

So you have a Jackie! Show me yours and I'll show you mine lol! I'd love to see her. Need to get home to post the pics tho, am at work right now.

I've stopped with the eggs though I may give them a yolk once in a while. Am going to try some dehydrated treats this weekend, I was thinking parsley, blueberries, almonds? Would love to know how yours turn out.

Will definitely try some wheatgrass on them one of these days. They love papya! I know now that I don't have to give them vegetables all the time but will still let them eat fruit and veggies raw if they want them. Wolves eat berries occasionally from what I remember reading.

Date: February 18, 2007 01:30AM

Marley-Star,

Here's some pics of my two jack russell terrorists, have an album on Photobucket but dont' know how to link that here.

IMG]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w305/Dulset/my%202%20jackies/LetUsSleep.jpg[/IMG]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2007 01:39AM by Dulset.

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 07, 2007 08:18AM

oh dulset how sweet are they!!! hmm i dont have a dog because right nowi live in an apt...so i can't....but i want one.....but i was wondering the same thing about animals...i kinda felt funny about posting inmy diary feeding the fish to my turtles...but hey it is the circle of life and they are carniverous...so i can't help it..my turtles and frogs eat meat ...but i give them raw fresh cricktes and worms and fish....
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 11, 2007 10:16AM

Hi Dulset... In my desperation to make my 2 jack russells healthy, I stumbled into this site and your posts. I'm a law student living in a small apartment with my 2 doggs, Jack and Billie. Jack is a handsome rough coat that I rescued from an abusive owner, he has mange and I'm treating him with herbal stuff and Billie I bought from a proud but kinda careless breeder, she has a broken coat and has ear mites. I've been a bit down coz Billie contracted the mange, I think. I was wondering if you can give me a bit of advice with this raw food thing since you have experience on the subject. Me and my babies will be very grateful.

Date: June 12, 2007 01:02PM

Melkey,

I feed my guys organic raw chicken backs and necks mainly and whatever raw fruits and veggies they will take. I don't believe giving them cooked veggies can be too good though I do share my steamed vegetables with them.

I also give them organ meats a couple of times a week and frozen tripe that I get from the pet food store called Urban Carnivore.

Read this to get a feel for feeding raw to dogs;

www.rawfed.com

Date: February 19, 2008 01:28AM

Hi, Dulset!

I didn't realize last year when I was in this post that I didn't post a photo of Harley, and I adopted another rescued Jack Russell a few months after named Red, so here are those pics:

Harley and Red on our old "petscaped" balcony:

Playing in our backyard at our new house:

The three of us:

Having two Jacks is really double trouble trouble, isn't it? My two were going nuts until we moved into our house, and now they have a big yard to play in every day, which is great for them.

They are still all raw except I did find some locallly made, organic dry food that I use for their treats. I did successfully make some dried meat treats in my dehydrator, but for a while I was so busy I didn't have the time to do it. Now that we are fully moved in our new place, I have busted out the dehydrator again and plan on making a batch each week for them.

Cheers! Marley

Date: February 20, 2008 01:52AM

Harley and Red look like sweethearts and I know how much you love them. I've known a lot of dogs over my life and none are such characters as JRT's. They never forget their priviledges and never let me forget them either.

My little Harry puts on a very tough act in front of pit bulls and the like , they both do. When I walk them in the neighbourhood they are like a couple of thugs the way they strut around. But only I know how terrified they are of cats!!!

I've given them each a small pork hock to eat recently, it takes them about 45 minutes of chewing to finish. I let them gorge once in a while tho I don't like to give them pork very often or beef. They love the dehydrated crackers I make with zucchini/apple and or carrot, pumpkin seeds and blueberries.

Dulset

Date: February 21, 2008 07:23PM

I know what you mean about the "thug life" on the streets! HaHa! Red and Harley act they own our neighborhood.

I will try that dehydrator recipe; it sounds good! Harley and Red LOVE carrots so much, if I let them have all they wanted, they'd turn orange. I know some people say not to feed them any veggies or grains, but the amount I let them have in proportion to their raw meat is minimal. They like my dehydrated tortilla chips, so your recipe sounds like some thing they would go for.

Thanks! smiling smiley)

Date: February 22, 2008 05:13PM

The vet I use is pro raw food, he even sells ground chicken (to be on the safe side I guess) right at his office, he'a a good vet. He doesn't say much about raw feeding but when I asked him once about vegetables he said just give them cooked vegetables regularly. Maybe he said this because of the 'dogs can't digest raw vegetables' theory?

My dogs live on a staple of organic chicken mostly with organ meats once a week. I think I was giving them too much bone with the chicken necks and backs so now make sure they get more meat.

I experience the same concerns about them getting variety in their diet as I do for myself. I'm still learning but even with cooked vegetables once or twice a week, and dehydrated blueberry crackers they're doing fine. Harry will be 8 in Apriland I'm going to post a picture of his tarter free teeth then.

Also, they are very persistent moochers and it's real hard to deny them a snack in the evenings. I think a fast day once a week would be the most beneficial thing I could probably do. I can resist them but am not able to stop a concerned overly compassionate doting family member from feeding them leftover cooked meats when they look and act hungry - which is all the time. : (

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables