Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

5 month raw pitbull
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 02, 2007 04:56PM

Hi everyone, I have a 5 year old pitbull (hunny) who is five months raw. I feed her two chicken leg quarters and one or two eggs a day. She is doing ok the tartar on her teeth is almost gone and she loves eating now. I had to almost beg her to eat kibble. But she does get gas three-four times a week. She will just fart once and that is it. Is that normal?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5 month raw pitbull
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 03, 2007 01:18PM

Not sure but I find with my Jacks they were terrible farters when on kibble.
Gas is mostly a thing of the past now unless they've gotten into something unusual like junk food or if family members give them cooked chicken or turkey.
Phew!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 04, 2007 03:20AM

I feed my small dog an all raw diet, and when he gets a raw chicken wing to chew on (drummets) he gets gassy too. If fact any chicken makes him farty, or if he gets too much he can get the runs.

I feed him all beef, twice a day. About 5-7 bite sizes of a raw meat patty I get at the pet store, and about 7 bite size raw beef (stew beef). This agrees with him really well and he's going to be 8 years old March 17, 07. He's very healthy, no problems, and he's fit and trim.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: February 05, 2007 10:20AM

No, gas isn't normal. Just because it seems normal for her and she otherwise seems fine doesn't mean normal. Gas can be from lack of enzymes or a digestive imbalance. Either of what you're feeding could be doing it, feed chicken everyday and eventually the fat/skin can do it and eggs are also a common cause of gas. Variety is important and you're lacking there.

Is that really all you are feeding? Leg quaters and eggs? That's not balanced whatsoever. You're feeding way too many eggs, they should only have them a couple times a week at the most depending on the size dog, NOT a couple everyday. Growing pups have different nutrition requirements that need to be met too.

You should do some research on raw feeding/Barf. Buy a few books on it or spend some time Google searching to learn more. Just like raw for people, there's a few different ways of doing it and you should know and understand why you choose to feed what you feed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2007 10:21AM by LikeItOrNot.

Date: February 07, 2007 12:17AM

Ok likeitornot what do you feed your dogs? I stopped the eggs a couple days ago.
Prism i thought raw dogs are supposed to get bones to chew on.
Thanks for the help
Aaron

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 08, 2007 11:52PM

I found this very informative, scroll down to the myth list.

[www.rawfed.com]

Date: February 09, 2007 05:03PM

Ok so I am now giving Hunny 1 leg quarter, ground beef, and a little organ meat.
Any other suggestions?
Thank You for all the help
Aaron

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 14, 2007 01:03AM

My dog gets raw ground bone in his raw dog food that I get from the pet store, and once in a while a raw chicken wingett..'cause he's small, under 10 lbs.

I'd look up some raw dog food recipes so you can add in some veggies, fruits, a little oil, some ground bone along with the meats. I don't make my own, so would have to research it all if I were to do it myself.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Marley_Star ()
Date: February 16, 2007 09:44AM

Hi, Aaron! smiling smiley)

I learned a lot about raw feeding from the website that Dulset listed above, and from a book entitled "Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats" by Kymythy R. Schultze. I have been preparing my dog's raw food diet every day now for five months. She just recently began having raw meat with bones in it every other day (chicken legs) and I give her a raw beef bone to chew on after her main meal on other days. I mix in a little chopped up wheatgrass, some celery and carrot. I occaisionally make her treats using fruit mixed with water and uncooked oats, but a lot of raw diet experts say they don't need grains at all.

As Prism said above, some oil is good. I give her a tiny bit of cod liver oil for dogs mixed in with her food.

About the risk of bacteria to humans: because my doggie likes to drag her food off the plate onto the floor, I barricade the kitchen while she's eating so she can't take it onto the carpet- I always watch her while she's eating, anyway. After she's done, I use a GSE (grape seed extract) mixture with tree tea oil and white vinegar to clean the floor. Dulset mentioned food grade hydrochloric acid in another post; I haven't tried that but I'm sure that does the trick

She was eating commercial kibble when I got her, and she was a gassy once a day. I started her on the raw diet gradually and she made the full transition within a week or so. She never does it now.

Although I have found some natural treats she likes in the animal health food stores, they are cooked, so I am going to create some small treats for her using the food dehydrator.

There are some premade raw food frozen options if you get in a hurry. I use Steve's Real Food when necessary, she likes it frozen, just like her ice cubes. LOL

Good luck! Cheers! smiling smiley)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables