Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Want to know how to feed your cat raw?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: February 06, 2007 07:26AM

This is the best website -
[www.rawfedcats.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Want to know how to feed your cat raw?
Posted by: Petals ()
Date: February 06, 2007 09:56PM

Thanks for the link. Good site imo. It looks like it is going to be a very informative site when it is all up and running. I have been looking into that latley, but I don't know.... I suppose I could go to a organic butcher and have them grind it all up for me. Do you feed your cat(S) raw? If so how is it going?

thanks & have a good one smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2007 10:00PM by Petals.

Date: February 12, 2007 07:12AM

wait~ yer not supposed to grind up raw cat food....defeats the purpose. good site.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: February 15, 2007 11:54PM

Hi Petals,

I have 3 cats that are going to be 8yrs old and two 1yrolds. I've been feeding raw for about 4-5 years now so it's going great. Only one cat was a problem in the beginning with being picky and hating change. The 2 kittens were the easiest and went crazy with their first raw meat and they're not picky.

"No Grinding Bones" is the only thing I'm not completely comfortable with. I agree that the average housecat doesn't have the jaw muscles to handle them and needs to build the strength up. But their teeth are also worn down and not as sharp as they should be. In the wild they'd be eating little, tiny bones like birds and rodents along with soft ones in rabbit and squirrels. So I stick with that. They wouldn't be hunting down huge turkeys, chickens, pigs and cows so I wouldn't feed legs, porkchops and beef ribs like I hear of other people doing. The kittens crunch bones fast like the dogs and do their own hunting outside but I'm still not giving them huge leg quaters or anything.

Plus for me with 5 cats, it's too much of a pain to keep track of who does good with what along with their individual taste and texture preferences. What bugs me on the raw cat forums is they say that cats "won't" attempt a bone if it's too hard for them.. But just because someone else's cat is smart enough not to do that doesn't mean another is. One of my cats loved chicken so much she was digging into drumsticks a week after raw and I didn't like it. Every now and then someone posts about their cat having a broken tooth and needing an extraction. It's rare but it happens and I'm not risking it so I play it safe and for bones I only feed rabbit, quail, pheasant and buffalo style chicken wingettes. Actually, just this past year my cats started crunching on more bones because that's when I found rabbit to feed and they went crazy over it.

Organs are another pain in the ass thing to feed. Only 2 of my cats will eat a straight piece of liver. It has to be *hidden* in meat for the others to eat it. So I cheat and usually buy the oragn blends from www.bravorawiet.com With their organs I can get Turkey liver, gizzards and heart all in one.

With the "Prey Model" way of raw feeding they only need 10% bones and 10% Organs anyway so I mostly feed that part ground. That way I can be sure everyone is getting some organs and some bones and not too much or too little. For each cat it only comes out to a small spoonful of "ground" anyway. Then for the next meal they get like a 6oz chunk of meat to chew and tear apart. I don't do this everyday, but its the basic routine I try and follow.

Plus I think organic/free range meat is way more important and for me it's actually cheaper to buy ground or in chunks. Personally, I rather my cat's jaw muscles be a little weak than have them consume hormone and antibiotic infested chicken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 11:57PM by LikeItOrNot.

Date: February 16, 2007 08:54PM

thanks for the info~ I was thinking of getting a whole organic chicken, organs and all, and having it all ground up~ if such a thing is posible~ to start with..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables