Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Saved a gerbil's life with beet juice smiling smiley
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: February 06, 2007 09:10AM

I have a 3+yrold gerbl. Over the weekend she got kind of lifeless and dehydrated, I'm not sure yet what caused it..I thought she was just dying from the tumors she has. I first fed her some maple syrup mixed with water to get some fluids and sugar into her. There wasn't much improvement.
Next I tried coconut oil and that gave her some energy. It was solid and I got a few tiny specs in her mouth so she'd swallow when it melted.

They like beets. So later that night I decided to cut a beet in half and just keep stabbing it and squeezing it to get a few drops of juice to drop in her mouth. Didn't do anything but aggravate her and the side of her face was getting sticky and obviously irritated her. But a few hours later she was sitting up and starting to climb and got interested in food again. I left a beet in there and I think she was too weak to bite into it but just licking or putting her mouth on it would get some on her tongue. You know how you can't even touch them without your fingers turning pink.

Last night I also mixed some green superfood powder in water and gave a few drops of that.

This morning she was 80% back to herself. =) I'm convinced it was the beets and maybe partly the greenfood. Her stools look weird..clumpy and bigger. Guess it gave her a good cleanse? lol Today I gave another piece of beet that she ate some of and she ate a bit of a spinach leaf, 2 blueberries and some seeds and now tonight she's back to normal.

I'm going to start juicing again and I want to try giving her a few drops a day and see what happens. Or at least a piece of beet a day as long as she doesn't get diareah.

Beets rule. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2007 09:20AM by LikeItOrNot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saved a gerbil's life with beet juice smiling smiley
Posted by: Petals ()
Date: May 04, 2007 07:31AM

likeit or not~

are the tumors going away? That is so great to hear!

I wish I had known to try this when a rat i had developed a huge tumor and similar symptoms. I just euthanized her myself cuz i didn't want her to suffer any more. I can be so dumb sometimes smiling smiley

Re: Saved a gerbil's life with beet juice smiling smiley
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: May 05, 2007 10:30AM

What kind of tumor is it? i.e. where is it located? I had to euthanise my dog because he had insulinoma (cancer of the pancreas). It is an extremely rare cancer in dogs and the medication they gave him was just making him syffer more. It was not a pretty sight. Also he had to take another medication because his thyroid did not produce enough hormone. I can't remember what the condition is called though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables