Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw milk
Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: October 18, 2007 06:09PM

is raw milk from a cow bad for your cat? I was thinking about buying some so my cats will have something raw in their diet, but my mom said they shouldnt drink milk anymore. I've heard that from others too.

does anyone feed raw milk to their cats? how's it going if you do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw milk
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 18, 2007 06:29PM

id say no as its not natural to their diet ... much like ours .. they will drink it .. they will love it .. but its not natural smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 18, 2007 07:39PM

I would tend to agree with Jodi, except for the Pottenger's cats study that makes me think maybe...

His conclusions were that:

A diet consisting exclusively of raw milk and raw meat was the only adequate intake which insured the maintenance of optimal health for the cats. Cats on the all-raw diet showed good bone structure with wide palates and plenty of space for the teeth as well as excellent bone density, shiny fur, and lack of parasites and disease. They reproduced with ease and were gentle and easy to handle.
Cooking the meat, or substituting heat processed milks for raw, resulted in heterogeneous reproduction and physical degeneration that escalated with each successive generation.
The changes in facial structure and beginning of degenerative diseases that Dr. Pottenger observed in cats on deficient diets mirrored the human degeneration that Dr. Price found in tribes and villages that had abandoned traditional foods.

See more at [www.westonaprice.org].

I'd say, if you are so inclined, give it a try and see how it works for your cat. Raw milk is very hard to buy in my state, so I don't buy any.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 18, 2007 11:30PM

yea same up here karen .. good luck finding raw milk even the local dairy farmers wont sell you a tiny bit because if you get sick they will lose everythng so they wont risk it

when i see a cat milking a cow and drinking it .. i will beleive cats should have milk tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: December 05, 2007 09:22PM

my local food store has gone through a lot to get the documents to sell the raw milk in their northern kentucky location, but it was easy for them to get the documents for their southern indiana location smiling smiley

thanks for your help.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 05, 2007 11:21PM

well, i ask myself ~how would a cat get milk from a cow in the wild? and my answer to myself is that the only milk a cat would ever naturally have would be it's mothers milk in the first few weeks of it's life. after that it would be small animals that it could catch and that's all.

Posted by: alliecatt ()
Date: December 06, 2007 12:05AM

Most adult cats are lactose intolerant - they should not be given milk, cream, or any other dairy product.

Allie =^..^=

[www.stronger.me.uk]

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: December 22, 2007 05:23AM

karennd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would tend to agree with Jodi, except for the
> Pottenger's cats study that makes me think
> maybe...
>
> His conclusions were that:
>
> A diet consisting exclusively of raw milk and raw
> meat was the only adequate intake which insured
> the maintenance of optimal health for the cats.
> Cats on the all-raw diet showed good bone
> structure with wide palates and plenty of space
> for the teeth as well as excellent bone density,

I've read about this before and I don't think there's enough info given. Like ..what exactly is a "raw meat" diet? There are lots of people that feed their cats "raw" and it doesn't mean it's the same diet they'd eat in the wild.

"Raw Meat" could be chicken thighs and beef. It says nothing about the amount of bone and organs they got or what animal species they ate. I can't picture a cat hunting and killing a cow anymore than I can picture a cat drinking out of a cow. Sure maybe a lion or a tiger would kill a cow..but not a 10lb cat..

I've tried raw milk before. I had to buy it for a newborn kitten that was abandoned because I wasn't about to bottle feed it with that canned crap. Once he was a few months old and weaned and eating raw, he didn't want the milk anymore. Actually once he got his first few tastes of blood, he basically weaned himself.

I have 5 cats, and the only cat that will touch it is the fat and unhealthy one who has a ton of health issues..possibly even cancer at this point. Unlike the others, he will eat anything. So I also don't believe the saying that animals "know what's good for them".

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: December 22, 2007 05:26AM

Allone,

Why can't you switch your cats to raw? If it's a cost factor, you could start with the ground/premade blend type stuff and it's as simple as dishing out a bowl of raw meat just like you'd dish out some canned food.

If your cats are on kibble..at least consider switching to canned. Things like diabetes and urinary infections are extremely common in cats and there's always a kibble connection.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 22, 2007 02:45PM

lemme tell ya, this feeding the cats raw deal is Expensive! their stuff is the priciest thing i buy at the grocery store. really, tops the lot. AND i gotta find a meat cleaver to deal with the chopping as that's just impossible with my kitchen knives and scissors. good thing they're cute...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables