Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My Raw Dog Food Recipe
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 22, 2007 11:18PM

I was feeding my small dog a raw dog food from Natures, but now I'm making my own for him. He was on the commercial raw food for over 5 years now, he's 8 and has had no health problems to date. I would take 1 patty thaw, and that would last a couple days, because I would break it up and use it with some raw cut up beef at serving times. I was feeding him 2 small meals a day.

He's older now, a little less active, but not by much, and he looks very healthy.

This is my dog food recipe for now, and it may change as I go along. It's not brain science..anyone can do this.

I use a small mini-food type processor (it's very small), a cheap one and it works great so far.

1 pkg. of chicken hearts
1 larger pkg. of raw beef stew meat that comes in chunks
This time, a little raw ground beef.

I grind the above in small amounts, leaving some raw beef stew I cut into small chunks.

I grind and mix 2-3 brown eggs and add into the meat.
Add in some ground flax seed
Add in a bit of brewers yeast
Add in some ground up raw yam
Add in some nori or other seaweed
Add in some Olive oil or your choice of oil
Add in some moist grey celtic sea salt (I forgot to do it this time) I can add in a crystal or 2 in his water on occasion.
I added in some organic garlic and oil with seasoning salad dressing. You can use Braggs vinegarette as that's a very good one.
Sometimes I add in some fermented veggie pulp that I get from when I juice spinach, carrots, and celery. Or add in some fresh which is good too. I didn't do it, as I thought the fermented stuff I had might not be good as I've had for about 4 weeks.

If you keep the beef or other meats to at least 50% or more of the recipe, that's a good ratio. I probably have about 80% meat, the rest the additives.

I mix really good, set out 3.7 oz of the mixture onto a pc. of parchment paper set on top of my digital scale for accurate measure. I pop that into a small sandwhich bag with the parchment paper and place that into a larger freezer zip bag. I have about 6 in the fridge for him for the next 6 days, and the rest are in the freezer in the zipper bag. I'm only going to feed him once now since he's getting older and that's a good amount for him, he's about 9 lbs.

I give him on occasion a raw chicken wingett or a raw chicken thigh bone that has been trimmed of most of the meat. I use that meat then for his raw dog food or cut it up and add it to his serving of food.

I haven't put any fruits into his food I make yet, but I could give that a try also. I don't think fatty fruits like avocado are good for him though..not sure about it, so I don't do it since I don't know for sure. Apple, or pear, I think might be just fine.

If you have any suggestions please let me know as I'm new at this. If you need more info. on amounts I can do that too.

Ok, hope I got it all in the recipe!

Love,
Prism

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Raw Dog Food Recipe
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: November 23, 2007 05:08AM

Here's what's in the raw dog food that my dog does so well on:

(amounts unknown)

75% groun beef,liver, heart, human-grade bone dust
25% romaine, bok choy, broccoli, carrot, yam, celery, apple, cantaloupe, kale, alfalfa sprouts, kelp, salmon oil, parsley,bee pollen, garlic

I'm not convinced the bee pollen, garlic or fruits are helpful - maybe they are added to contribute certain nutrients.

I fed my chi (about 7 pounds) Natural Instincts brand but was convinced to try this locally made one called Club Canine. It's not organic but it was cheaper and came recommended.

Within a few days of switching, my chi's coat became much, much softer and she clearly loved the new food, almost stamping her feet in anticipation. So I've been feeding it to her ever since, about a year, I guess. Her coat is really nice and soft. I notice it every time I snuggle her!

A 5 kilogram bag costs $49.00 after taxes. She gets 120-125 grams in one evening meal daily.

I wouldn't give animals salt, but that's just me.

Date: November 24, 2007 08:39PM

Thanks so much for that info. it's very much appreciated..as it shows I'm not far off the mark.

The organic seasoned garlic dressing I used in this recipe this time sure made it stinky..but he loves it. I think he likes it stinkysmiling smiley I think too he likes my 3rd try at making raw dog food best so far. He loved my first one, liked the second try, but as really loving this one. They aren't much different except for maybe the amounts of ingredients, and the addition of the stinky garlic stuff.

Oh, I needed bone...but I can't get ground bone from the butcher it seems, and it doesn't make sense to give him powdered bone when he can just have a whole bone and do the chewing and gnawing on it which is good for his teeth.

I'm only feeding him once a day now, and that's around noon. He came to me today, begging to eat at that time, so it's a good time for him it seems. He might be a bit hungry at night since he's used to eating a 2nd time, but he gets a regular chew bone and he's happy. This will be good for him, to cut back on calories I think. He's not that active since I don't have my childcare running, except for an after school client, that is here part time and is older.

Maybe when he's back to being a work dog and doing childcare again, I can feed him a little in the afternoon.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: November 29, 2007 08:25PM

prism,

my pup is doing best on the raw prey model.
as a vegan, its a bit daunting, but i think
its more biologicly appropriate for her.
i try to at least find organic free range
when i do have to visit a butcher.

just as theres a million variations on our
raw vegan lifestyle, same with the raw pets lifestyle.

fruitgirl

Date: November 30, 2007 05:56AM

What is the raw prey model?

Love,
Prism

Date: December 01, 2007 08:16PM

prism, i prob shouldnt go into details
here, being a vegan forum, suffice to say
the prey model would be the anthesis of vegan.
it feels appropriate for my dog. you can
read about it at
[rawfed.com]

Posted by: alliecatt ()
Date: December 04, 2007 12:38PM

My three boys are totally raw too, and they're thriving on it :-)

Allie =^..^=

[www.stronger.me.uk]

Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: December 05, 2007 09:12PM

would this recipe be suitable for cats aswell?
sorry if im asking in the wrong thread or sorry if you have no idea about cats...

Date: December 09, 2007 04:31AM

I believe that cats only need and should have meat..no other products are needed nor should they be given. If a cat wants anything, they can get it if they are allowed outside. If they are strictly indoors, they don't need anything except for a raw meat diet.

You can feed them any meat, and some organ meats, and or other parts like tripe. You might do some searches on the subject also.

Love,
Prism

Date: December 09, 2007 04:34PM

my chi was given cooked meat yesterday....
what a stinky morning

at the time however she LOVED it
kind of like me and coffee

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: December 09, 2007 05:17PM

Fruitgirl, do you find that your chi is a little scavenger who would eat nearly anything? Mine is, and it's at the point where I don't like walking her anymore, since she can find and hork down an old pizza crust before I turn around!

Date: December 10, 2007 05:20AM

aquadecoco

YES. she's gotten to become OBSESSED with ground scores
at one point would ignore every time i gave her
commands to come or to leave it
i had to resort to keeping her onleash
for nearly the entire walk

i think what helps the most is keeping
with a schedule of reviewing basic obedience with treats
in short sessions throughout the day

an old pizza crust is nothing compared to the grossness
i've caught this one with...i'll spare you, its really bad

but whenever she stops to eat grass i like to encourage her

Date: December 29, 2007 02:42AM

I've changed my dog's diet recently to only eating raw meat, and organ meats and have added in the raw rib bones to help with his bad teeth. I will continue giving him on occasion a raw chicken bone, thigh or the larger part of the wing also. I'm not adding in any of the additives for now.

He has teeth issues that need addressing, so am working on that now. I'm hoping the raw rib bones are going to help clean off the tarter build up.

I feel like my above recipe is very good and he loved it, but I don't think he "needs" all the other 'stuff' in his diet.

Love,
Prism

Date: December 30, 2007 04:12PM

prism,

you could ask the folks on the raw feeders chat
about your friends loose tooth. they are long
time experts.

i subscribed to 2 of their many groups and learning
so much. here is one of their basic groups:

[groups.yahoo.com]

good luck.

Date: January 01, 2008 01:40AM

Yes, I did join, and it's a terrific group and I have received tons of info. from there. I'll see you there Fruitgirlsmiling smiley Thanks for sharing that info. and the yahoo group!

Love,
Prism

Date: January 18, 2008 03:32AM

My little 8 year old dog is doing great with the prey model of eating. I give him large hunks (large for him, as he's only 9 lbs.) of raw beef, or things like raw meaty chicken thighs, raw meaty chicken breasts, legs, all with the bones in them, hunks of beef instead of cut up beef, raw pork rib bones which he loves! I also give him on occasion some organ meats, but he doesn't eat any of the additional ingredients any longer, such as powdered flax seed, brewers yeast, fruits, veggies, eggs, etc.

He looks great, is really fit, and his teeth are coming clean with one loose back tooth tightening up. The other back tooth looks better also, with less tarter and infection and while it doesn't seem to impede on his chewing the meat or the bones, it is still loose and may fall out or need to get pulled out eventually. I'll wait and give it a bit more time since he's doing so well.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 07, 2009 12:10AM

Are there any totally vegan Raw dog food recipes?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables