Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Help..need suggestions for my dogs teeth
Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: January 01, 2008 06:00PM

prism,

it would be good to get to the bottom about the rib bones.
i prob could use a refresher course on all the rawfeeders
intro files. i didn't read them til a week or so after
i got in the group, and when i finally did, alot came
together for me.

for now, i think i'll stick with the chicken, only because
of the success we've had. wish i'd taken pics.
you wouldn't believe how black her teeth were. and she's only
about 2 years old.

but she does miss the recreational party all day with a hard bone.

hope you got approved by now.

fruitgirl

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 01, 2008 08:39PM

I understand the all pig bones are edible bones, so getting the pork rib bones would be what I'll buy next. Also, I'm going to try and find rabbit somewhat intact, and try fish too, all in addition to the occasional organ meats, and the meaty chicken bones.
Yes, I am now approved and I'm about to go visit there, once I'm done reading the newest messages on the raw feeding group.

Love,
Prism

Date: January 04, 2008 03:31AM

prism,
see if your friend will chew on a raw carrot.
mine likes them altho she prefers a bone.
fruitgirl

Date: January 10, 2008 06:50PM

hi prism,

i decided to move this discussion back here
and off rawnoggins thread.

hope everything is getting back to normal for you
and your pup continues his healing/cleaning.

a couple days ago a neighbor came in and gave my
pup a cooked steak bone. its hard for me to interrupt
these gestures which happen alot, because my neighbors
already think im a little radical about things.
as soon as she left i crawled under the bed (her hiding place)
where she was working on that thing like crazy and guarding
even moreso. took me 15 min before i finally got it and
fortuantely sufferred no bites. i pulled all the edible off
and gave it gladly. what was left was like a sharpened
spear!! wow. anyway til i get it straightened out with my
neighbors, i really need to work on the "leave it" command.

i know a dog should be trained to let you easily take away
their food at any point. my pup and i have our work cut out for us.

take care, fruitgirl

<<
I know that some of the tarter and infection on the loose back tooth came off, and I took a pic of the 5th day of doing the raw bones. I will take a closer look in the next few days again, it's just been so busy here with family, house, remodeling, work related things, etc..I'm kind of stressed. I need a couple days rest really.

My family is staying a couple more days in town, and will be doing some of the house remodeling here to get it done. The first thing when I get money in a couple days from childcare is taking my dog to the groomers..which he needs badly!

Today he ate raw beef, tomorrow I have beef rib bones, or beef, and beef hearts. I froze the port ribs and once the beef ribs are gone, I'll start the pork ones again. He also has frozen meaty chicken thighs. So for now, he's got enough good raw food sources. I hope his teeth vastly improves quickly. I'll keep track, take pics and post them...and let you know how's he's doing.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 12, 2008 05:10AM

Hey Prism, glad to hear the bones are working. smiling smiley

I finally bought some powdered enzymes from that E3 brand.. gonna try it on my dog to keep his teeth clean and the bad breath away..hopefully this works and I won't have to keep using that prescription enzyme toothpaste.

My dog is an idiot. He's done with bones.

Date: January 15, 2008 08:08PM

My dogs teeth are doing much better as is his bad breath! One back loose tooth is tightening up, the other back tooth that has the infection, is still loose, but much cleaner, somewhat tender or a lot tender to him..hard to tell. It may fall out on its own due to his chewing on the raw bones and eating healthy large chunks of meats and organs.

Yesterday he got 2 raw rib pork bones and he loves them. They are pretty meaty, but I still have him a hunk of beef for breakfast, he's small so it was about 2 oz. but it was whole, and not cut up. He had to chew to get it down.

Today, he's having a raw meaty chicken leg, and the left-over pork rib bones that I did pick up last night before bed and stored in fridge.

He's doing great and soon is headed to the groomers. Oh and I have on occassion put some Lugol's Iodine 5% solution mixed with water on those two back teeth to fight the infection and bacteria. It seems to help.

I want to try Angels Tears next for his tear stains under his eyes, as it's natural and it is something he has to ingest..but it's costly at $28.00 per bottle!

Anyone ever use the Angels Tears?

Love,
Prism

Date: March 05, 2008 05:16AM

My dog has been getting raw pork rib bones..with as much meat as I can find on them and then I've also started to brush them on occasion (when I can get him to let me do it) with hydrogen peroxide.

His teeth were very bad, and had a couple loose back molars with lots of tarter and infection before I started the raw rib bones and meaty chicken bones like thighs, and breasts, etc. I didn't realize they were that bad. I took before pics of them, then started on more raw whole bones along with his raw meat he's been getting for over 5 years.

Ok, so today, he lost the worst of the molars..fell right out and he seemed very happy about it too. It has 2 little nubby roots, and one of them was fresh with a bit of blood and a bit of tissue..hardly noticeable. I figured this..that the teeth are healing due to the exercise of the raw pork rib and chicken bones and that one needed to come out so that the infection can get cleaned up too.

I'm happy about this, his teeth are looking better, his breath is improving, and he can work a raw bone just fine. He did have a period of what I think was teeth soreness or teeth sensitivity after getting more of the work bones which was about a month into the bones. I let up on giving them to him so often, then reintroduced them more often lately and he's much happier now. I figure that the soreness let up, while he was healing.

I'll take some new pics soon..I have some I didn't post too which were taken a month or so after the first pics. He turns 9 years old on this St. Patrick's Day.

Love,
Prism

Date: June 26, 2008 03:48AM

An update on state of my nine year old Maltese's teeth. They are bad still, and he did back off again eating the raw meaty rib bones, so I am once again just giving him his favorite commercial type of beef stick which he can chew pretty quickly and he loves the..they are from Hartz. I also give him his rawhide bones too..the skinny ones and I do throw out any that get a little shorter then half from their original size.

He got to go in with a student who is studying to be vet assistant..so he was volunteered..and he got blood work done and I have his test results, they said his teeth are very bad and he should go for dental visit and have at least one other molar pulled. They gave me some cleaning drops for his mouth to use for his teeth and gums. He hates it of course. Oh and I did take him to the vet on their suggestion to get antibiotic to help with the immediate gum and tooth infections..so he's done with that now. The dental visit will have to wait as it's expensive and I am not working again yet.

If anything changes I'll update it.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: flash ()
Date: June 27, 2008 05:34PM

Prism:

I suggest giving your dog raw chicken feet as treats. That would provide the benefits of raw canine food and yet should be easier for your dog to chew. They will be much easier on his digestion than hard leather.

flash

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 06, 2008 05:46PM

Some dogs no matter what you do are just prone to tartar build up. My dogs eat a grain free biologically appropriate diet including LOTS of raw meaty bones ( turkey and chicken necks, chicken feet, lamb ribs, beef ribs, chicken backs) and also get bully sticks and marrow bones for gnawing on. Yet, my minpin and German Shorthair Pointer have beautiful white teeth while my Jack Russell and Lab X have a lot of tartar on their teeth.

I've heard about using Fragaria Vesca. It's made from strawberries which are known for having the ability to whiten teeth but something it in also breaks down any tartar build up. That's what I"m going to try next.

Fragaria 3C homeopathic pillules are derived from a mother tincture of the Wood Strawberry (Fragaria vesca) also known as the European wild strawberry. In homeopathic pillule form it helps to soften, prevent and slow down the formation of tartar on the teeth of dogs and cats.

The health benefits of the Fragaria family have been known for generations with all parts of the plant from the fruit, leaves and roots being used to combat chiblains, sunburn, gout and stain removal from teeth to name but a few. It is still widely used today in cosmetic products as a tooth whitener and in skin care products as it tones the skins and lightens freckles and sun marks.

The dispenser contains approximately 100 pillules which allows you to administer them straight into the mouth of your pet without touching them by hand - to be avoided when giving homoeopathic remedies.

Administration: Encrusted teeth - One daily for up to one month until tartar is significantly reduced.

As a preventive against new tartar build up, give one weekly.

It's fairly inexpensive.. less than $15 whereas that spray-on by PetzLife is about $40.

There is also another product by Pet Alive called Gumz -n- Teeth. (it's about $40 as well )

* For healthy teeth and gums
* To support the immune system
* To maintain health in bones and teeth
* To promote gum health
* As a general nutritional supplement

What are the Ingredients?

Native Remedies' products are created using our Full Spectrum Approachâ„¢ (FSA), a set of standards and processes that combine the best quality, laboratory tested, raw ingredients, Good Manufacturing Practices and a Full Spectrum manufacturing method to guarantee you products of the highest quality, safety and effectiveness, all backed by our One Year Unconditional Money Back Guarantee.

Our products are not tested on animals and individual ingredients are well-researched and are natural, safe and effective.

* Arthrospira platenis (Spirulina) is a single celled micro-organism found in the sea and known to be an excellent source of chlorophyll. Widely used for its nutritive properties, Spirulina contains protein, vitamins (including B12 and folic acid) and carotenoids. Spirulina also makes vitamin A available for use in the body. Vitamin A is essential for healthy eyes, teeth and immune functioning. This sea algae has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years as a tonic to boost energy, support liver and immune system functioning, and general systemic health.

* Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) has been widely used in Western and Chinese herbalism for many centuries. This therapeutic herb helps to support healthy body tissue due to its high silica content. Silica is essential in the maintenance of healthy and strong teeth, skin, bones, claws and fur and is the main component in all connective body tissues including the myelin sheaths around nerve cells and the membranes of the brain and spinal cord.

* Taraxacum officinale (Dandelion) is a source of vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin A, D, C, various B Vitamins, iron, lecithin, silicon, potassium, magnesium, zinc and manganese. These vitamins and minerals are all essential for the health of the digestive system, bones, teeth and gums.

* Silica (6c) is also known as the 'homeopathic surgeon' due to its unique ability to cleanse the cells of toxins and purify the body. Silica is naturally occurring in the body, especially in hair, nails, skin, nerve sheaths and all mucous membranes, including the mouth and digestive tract. This biochemic tissue salt is also frequently prescribed for gum health. Silica acts as a natural cleanser and purifier and will also eliminate all foreign matter in the body. For this reason Silica should not be used for pets with any type of prosthesis, metal plates, pins or artificial tubes in the body.

* Calc. fluoride (6C) is a biochemic tissue salt which is important for healthy teeth, skin and bones. Calc. fluoride is also useful for teething pets. It is found in the enamel of teeth and bone surfaces and is excellent for maintaining the health and integrity of teeth.

* Calc. phos. (6C) is a biochemic tissue salt useful for healthy teeth and gums and is particularly important in times of growth and development. This salt is found in the bones, connective tissue, teeth etc. and is necessary for supporting the strength/solidity of these tissues. Calc phos. is excellent for supporting healthy circulation, bones and teeth.

* Lactose (inactive ingredient)

Hope this info is useful !

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: August 11, 2008 10:44PM

A frozen pork rib bone daily removes tartar build up quickly and efficiently.
two ribs a week helps prevent recurrence.

Date: August 23, 2008 03:05PM

Lorretta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A frozen pork rib bone daily removes tartar build
> up quickly and efficiently.
> two ribs a week helps prevent recurrence.

Bad advice.
Depending on the size dog and how it chews, it could break a tooth on it being frozen. Many dogs break teeth on icecubes and rocks, bones are even harder. Maybe 'Frozen" works on your dog, but you don't know about other dogs.

Ribs work on my dog's molars and they're not frozen. It also doesn't matter if it's beef, pork or whatever. A rib is a rib, it's all about the shape and how they chew it.

Date: August 23, 2008 03:08PM

smc618 Wrote:
> Some dogs no matter what you do are just prone to
> tartar build up. My dogs eat a grain free
> biologically appropriate diet including LOTS of
> raw meaty bones ( turkey and chicken necks,
> chicken feet, lamb ribs, beef ribs, chicken backs)
> and also get bully sticks and marrow bones for
> gnawing on. Yet, my minpin and German Shorthair
> Pointer have beautiful white teeth while my Jack
> Russell and Lab X have a lot of tartar on their
> teeth.

Do your dogs actually lay there for a long time gnawing on something though? I know a kibble fed dog with white teeth and it's because when you give her a marrow or rib bone, she's going at it ALL night. Just keeps gnawing and gnawing even after the meat is gone. My dog rips the meat off and then leaves it alone.

In the wild, dogs/cats would also have the fur to kind of wipe the junk/blood off their teeth. But even when I was feeding whole rabbits, my dog's teeth didn't change much.

Date: August 23, 2008 03:11PM

Prism, what state are you from?

There are "traveling" vets that do non-anestetic cleanings and it's only about $120.. which for me is hundreds of dollars than what a dental vet would charge.

Date: August 29, 2008 09:53PM

LikeItOrNot Wrote:
> >
> Bad advice.
> Depending on the size dog and how it chews, it
> could break a tooth on it being frozen. Many dogs
> break teeth on icecubes and rocks, bones are even
> harder. Maybe 'Frozen" works on your dog, but you
> don't know about other dogs.

BAD ADVICE?
LOTS OF ASSUMPTION GOING ON HERE!
YOU ASSUME THAT I EVEN KEEP A DOG?
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT I KNOW ABOUT 'OTHER DOGS'?

>
> Ribs work on my dog's molars and they're not
> frozen. It also doesn't matter if it's beef, pork
> or whatever. A rib is a rib, it's all about the
> shape and how they chew it.

UMMM. IS THAT SO? smiling smiley

Date: September 10, 2008 12:28AM

I don't really care. All I know is your advice sucks and could cause a broken tooth in a dog.

Date: September 10, 2008 01:23PM

LikeItOrNot wrote
I don't really care. All I know is your advice sucks and could cause a broken tooth in a dog.

It wasnt my advice, it was my experience that i chose to share.
I feed my own dog on raw frozen pork rib about once a week. She loves it. It works for her.

I trust both dog and owner intelligence to choose. If the dog does not want the bone, it wont eat it.
If the owner does not favour the idea, they wont feed it.

A vet introduced the idea many years ago, to a relative who works with dog rescue.
She has handled many dogs with tartar build up over the years by feeding frozen pork ribs.
Whatever your comments, this still remains a well tried and tested, quick cheap and efficient method of removing and preventing tartar build up.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables