Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Salmonella??
Posted by: meow ()
Date: December 28, 2007 04:53AM

I just started introducing my cats to a raw food diet and it's going GREAT so far- they have loved the raw meat (especially salmon!) and have taken well to almost everything- my "middle child" turned her nose up at chicken liver but I'll try again tomorrow! Leave it to those middlies to be difficult winking smiley Anyway I feel great about this and I know it's best for them. Already my baby, who is very inactive and overweight, is running around playing & pouncing like never before!

My only concern is about salmonella/bacteria. Feeding them raw chicken & turkey almost seems to be asking for it. So far they've had organic/hormone free chicken, wild salmon, and a mix of organic/hormone-free chicken & chicken liver. I've heard that their stomaches produce more acid than ours do to kill any bacteria, and of course I'm being very careful about cleaning everything really well, but I just don't want to end up hurting them with this! Any suggestions, advice or anything to ease my fears? Have any of your pets or yourselves gotten salmonella eating this way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salmonella??
Date: December 28, 2007 04:56AM

I forgot to add- where can I get organ meats besides liver (hearts & whatever other organ meats there are)? And do any of you recommend any brands of bone meal powder to supplement with since my cats aren't yet at the stage where they are able to eat the edible bones of the animal and I'm not sure I'll ever buy whole carcasses?

Thank you in advance!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2007 02:06PM

cats have a very short, very acidic digestive tract that is not suseptible to the same bacteria as us. don't worry about the salmonella, it isn't an issue.
even kittens can deal with bones, you'd be surprised! the breast of fowl is best as it has lots of small ones that are easily chewed. i personally wouldn't use bone meal, it's not a food grade product for one thing meaning that it isn't processed in a particularly clean way. i don't know that it isn't heated either, that would make it easier to grind i think.
have you asked the place where you've gotten the organic heart what else they have or can get you? a butcher who carries organic meats should be able to find organ meats for you easily.

Date: December 28, 2007 06:56PM

coco, thank you so much for that information. i had read that cats' digestive tracts have much more acid than ours do and that they're capable of killing bacteria. this makes me feel so relieved. and thanks for the tip about chicken breasts and the bone meal! i will look into that once they are done with their chicken legs & livers winking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 02, 2008 09:57PM

most organic meat departments have the ground backs and necks of chickens you can ask for. cats seem to love it, especially whole necks-- very good for teeth. you may also be able to get the innards from chickens, they are extremely rich and nutritious for kitties.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables