Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dog Has Very Dry Skin
Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: January 28, 2008 04:29PM

Help! My new dog (got her 2 months ago from the shelter where I volunteer) has very bad, dry skin. I realize it is winter and that is a part of the problem. I know that dry skin is related to diet too. I so far have managed to get he off canned food (it was the only way she would eat at the shelter). I am feeding her Purina One brand so far. I want to move her to a more wholesome, beneficial food as soon as I am able to but not yet sure what.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Love my dog and want her to be happy and healthy,

Patty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2008 04:29PM by sewraw.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dog Has Very Dry Skin
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 30, 2008 10:28PM

I love doing the 'prey model' of feeding my little Maltese. Today for instance I gave him some raw beef hearts and a large meaty chicken wing with bone. He at the beef hearts first, then dragged the wing to his fav. eating site and started on that. He's got a little left and he's guarding it nowsmiling smiley He's been eating raw for many years, but just recently went to the prey model due to bad teeth I found he had.

This was a suggestion from Fruitgirl to me on my thread of my dogs raw food recipe. She turned me on to the prey model. Thanks Fruitgirl!

[rawfed.com]

Love,
Prism

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: April 02, 2008 03:49AM

I'm probably too late..lol since it's April....but.. Coconut Oil worked the best for my dogs in the winter. I couldn't do too many EFAs like Fish/Salmon because it gave them gas. So I was giving my 20lb dogs a small spoonful (eh about 1tsp to 1tbsp. everyday (organic,, extra virgin..the good stuff)and no more dry skin and less scratching. Not even added in their food, just scooped out a solid chunk and they ate it off the spoon.

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: April 12, 2008 10:10PM

It's never too late. Thanks for the suggestion.

Unrelated, but I just found out that my dogs likes cucumbers. She also likes my green smoothies and molasses. (The things we give dogs to try!)

Patty

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 13, 2008 04:23PM

With our Belgian Sheepdog mix when we moved to our current house we found we had the space to keep him inside w/ us and we did it that's when he started to get dry/flaking skin(he did not have before). My husband suggested it may be the DRY air in the house. So now he stays on our screened in back porch MOST of the time when there is NOT extreme HEAT & COLD. Switchin to RAW will help IF NOT the RAW diet then a HIGHER QUALITY food(ie. Solid Gold, Evo & etc.) would help and adding some Salmon Oil to some canned food for a treat would also help and also make your babys day too, from the sounds of it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2008 04:29PM by Joey & Shelby.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables