Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Natural Flea Remedy?
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: April 28, 2008 03:38PM

Does anyone know a natural remedy for fleas?

My cat has a massive flea allergy and I hate those horrible chemically flea treatments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Natural Flea Remedy?
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 30, 2008 04:53PM

i came onto this thread hoping someone else had the answers....
i could use a note on this too...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2008 09:49PM

diatomaceous earth sprinkled in the carpet and on furniture kills the little buggers dead. if you can get rid of the fleas on your animal, using the d.earth around the house can keep them from coming back in force. remember that they have seasons and look out for them in the spring and fall. good luck!!

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: May 09, 2008 06:29PM

hi coco! thanks for the tip off, I will look into this mysterious sounding earth stuff :-)

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: June 24, 2008 01:14AM

Eucaliptis tree buds, you put them around their sleeping areas and can make a string of the buds to put around neck. We have them here in Ca. and I know in Austraila. When in past we had a flee prob the buds seemed to work well.
Sorry dow chem mosanto and other agents of chem war fare. nature happens!
Oranic planet

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: July 02, 2008 06:47PM

Here's something I came across about an apple cider vinegar rinse after you bathe your dog. I will try this this summer.

[www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com]

"Then sponge on ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) diluted with equal amounts of warm water and allow your dog to drip dry. The fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin more acidic to help prevent flees from returning. If your dog often picks up fleas when you take him on an outing, keep some ACV in a spray bottle. You can then spray your dog before you leave home and when you get back."

Date: July 06, 2008 05:28PM

The best remedy for fleas is a high quality raw or biologically appropriate diet which boost the immune system. Fleas and other parasites are attracted to animals in poor health and those who eat a processed diet full of chemicals and artificial additives. They can actually smell this through the animal's pores. Keep in mind parasites always look for a WEAK, VUNERABLE host. In addition to the raw or BAD you should add oils high in omega fatty acids ( coconut, salmon, walnut, safflower, evening primrose, borage, camelina or flax ) and should also add ACV and Brewers Yeast / Garlic to the diet. I have 8 animals... 4 dogs, 4 cats. My animals have never seen a flea and we live in a rural area where all the neighbor's animals are infested w/fleas because of their poor quality supermarket petfood diets.

I also use natural repellants which consist mainly of essential oils like lemongrass, eucalyptus, geranium, peppermint, clove, tea tree, neem, etc. ( Sergeant's Nature's Defense is an easy one to get a hold of .) I agree w/the use of Diatomacious earth.... put it in a hand held or push broadcaster and cover your lawn and garden w/it. Sprinkle it around doorways, baseboards, pet bedding, etc. Make sure you're buying FOOD GRADE !!! You can also add the DE to your pet's food to eliminate internal parasites.

Date: July 26, 2008 12:11PM

you would think that fleas and other parasites would prefer a healthy body off of which to leach. i can tell you that mosquitos love me and my kids more than anyone else around All the time. we must smell like heaven to them, pure and natural blood for the sucking!

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: July 26, 2008 08:04PM

coco thanks for the diatomaceous earth tip. Will give it a try.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 26, 2008 09:22PM

This thread was about a CAT.

Essential Oils can be TOXIC to cats. Just because something is "OK" for dogs doesn't mean it's good for cats. You guys could end up killing someone's cat with that kind of advice.
[www.thelavendercat.com]
[www.holisticat.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2008 09:24PM by LikeItOrNot.

Date: August 07, 2008 04:35PM

my cats don't have fleas anymore and this is from switching from science diet dry to canned petguard which is very high quality. Now they are on raw meat diet. Same thing as dogs. Fleas mean your animal has a weakened immune system, so it's a gift to you as an opportunity to address. Kind of like whenever mine yowl at me while using the cat box - I run up to see why. Could need changing or sometimes it's so I can see a stool with a bit of blood or whatever it is they want to bring to my attention smiling smiley. And yes, Diatemaceous Earth - FOOD GRADE, not the kind used for swimming pools - is great to treat the environment. As for mosquitoes, I've always heard they like people who eat sugar... I guess if an animal wants to bite you there is always a reason!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 20, 2008 11:09PM

Has anyone else tried the Tic Clip for fleas?

I can't rave enough about this product! The concept behind the Tic Clip seemed just too far out at first, but I ordered it out of desperation when our vet said our new pup was allergic to fleas.

Our pup is constantly exposed to fleas since he stays outside (warm climate, often muddy; he sleeps on a big porch).

Tic Clip is just a round metal tag that clips onto a dog's collar. The manufacturer says: "The tic-clip harnesses the power of the bioenergetic field around your pet to create an energy barrier that repels insect pests for two years."

Tic Clip is:

"*Absolutely non-toxic
*100% pesicide free
*Completely safe for pets and humans
*Odor-free, does not interfere with your pet's sense of smell
*Safe for use with puppies and kittens
*Protection lasts for 2 years
*Water resistant
*1" sized tag weighs only as much as a penny

"The ready-to-use Tic-Clip tag is imprinted with an electromagnetic charge bearing a polarized energy signature. This energetic charge adapts to your companion's unique bioenergy frequency and produces a vibrational field around the animal that repels tics and fleas."

Sounds wild eh? Too out-there to be true?! But it actually works! Our pup had a few fleas for about a week after we put on the Tic-Clip. But since then, no fleas at all! We've had the clip for about 6 months. We tried EVERYTHING with our older dogs (who passed away about a year ago), and nothing worked. This product is truly amazing!

The Tic-Clip costs $49.00, but definitely WELL worth the price.

Available at www.onlynaturalpet.com. We also give our pup the brewer's yeast & garlic tablets (also from onlynaturalpet).

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 21, 2008 07:50PM

very interesting suncloud smiling smiley ... why does it only work for 2 years tho?

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: December 29, 2008 07:02PM

Hi Jodi,

Sorry, I didn't check back till now.

I don't know why the tag only works for 2 years. Maybe it has something to do with the electrical charge. The whole concept seems very strange to me. All I know is that it works, at least so far!

Date: February 12, 2009 03:55PM

I hear that people eating an alkaline diet repel fleas and mosquitoes ...maybe try changing pet's diet??
I always used brewer's yeast in San Diego (where fleas were rampant!)

Date: February 13, 2009 09:04PM

My dog is starting to have a few fleas now, so I guess the tic clip doesn't work for 2 years!

Still, it worked pretty good for about 8 months. We're going to send for another one and see if the new one works. I'll report back on it in maybe about 3 weeks.

Come to think of it, we were also giving our dog the garlic and yeast tablets, but we ran out.

Thanks for the reminder Mondigmusic. I'll be ordering the tic clip AND the tablets!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2009 09:09PM by suncloud.

Posted by: rawfoods ()
Date: August 09, 2009 09:14PM

I've tried the tic-clip and it seemed to work ok so far.

[www.healthyfoodrawdiet.com]

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: May 03, 2010 11:00AM

This tic-clip sounds suspicious. Maybe they spray the clip with something and by the end of two years the stuff has all evaporated?

Date: July 07, 2010 03:04PM

my dog had fleas last year, i switched her to raw and i have not seen any yet this summer. fingers crossed. i do use DE food grade in my room , and vacuum the whole house once a week, throwing away the bag or emptying the canister each time.i wash her with selsun blue because she has psoriasis. normal soap and water is suppose to kill fleas on pets anyway.i use to put a couple of drops of the tree oil in the bath tub or shampoo with my yorkie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2010 03:05PM by cherryberryblossom.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 25, 2010 08:40PM

I use essential oil of peppermint and I sprinkle the liquid around the baseboard areas. I don't put it on the animal itself. I also use it in water for air freshener and other uses. Bugs don't like mint scents, and I have gotten rid of ants, fleas and other bugs doing this.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: raw artist ()
Date: July 12, 2011 04:27PM

I have 5 dogs & 1 cat & I can say the diatomaceous earth does work. I get it in a 50 lb bag online from Earth Works Health. I'm also going to use the tip I saw from Dulset about the apple cider vinegar. By the way, the d. earth at Earth Works Health is food grade & it cost me $51.50 because the shipping to my home almost doubled the price. It's still way more economical than buying from my local feed store.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 09, 2011 03:38PM

I know I'm going to sound like all I mention is iodine. But I found that povodine iodine mixed into the dogs rinse water will kill mites and fungus and other skin problems. It cured the bare skin patches on a friends dog and it took only a week or 2 for the new hair to grow in.

You can also apply or dab it straight on to any problems areas.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: December 05, 2011 01:19PM

Here's all I did this past spring and summer...Starting in April (when it's start getting warm here), I rubbed a bit of diatomaceous earth into all 4 of my pets' fur 1-2x per week. None of them got any fleas or ticks.

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables