Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

So Many Questions!!!
Posted by: orangeflame ()
Date: May 05, 2008 05:27AM

I transitioned from vegan to raw last week...starting this week I've been eating completely/almost completely raw..and by now I am BURSTING with questions..any opinions and anyone's two cents would be much appreciated:

NUTS: is it healthy/considered raw to eat nuts and seeds that are uncooked but not sprouted..or do you really need to sprout/germinate them to unlock their life force energy? I am hoping that my weight will regulate and I will drop the last ten unhealthy pounds my body is holding onto...will eating only sprouted and germinated seeds rather than unbcooked help with that?

BARS: i am experimenting with all kinds of raw food bars right now..what does anyone think of lara bars? prana bars? are either of them truly, completely raw? anyone know if weil bars are raw? any good bars you like?

CONFUSION: everyone seems to have a different opinion about what ratio of protein, fat, and carbs should be consumed...i have always believed in everything in moderation, but i'm still a little lost...any suggestions for a good, reasonable balance?

SUPPLEMENTS: what kind of supplements do raw vegans need? i am assuming B12 still needs to be supplemented, right? what about these powders with enzymes and probiotics and raw greens...how do you guys feel about those? any suggestions on what to look for in a powder? any brands you like/trust? and what is e3 live all about?

Thank you so much for any feedback or input, I am still learning so much...and I have plenty to go. The journey to raw these past few weeks/days has been incredibly exciting...I feel like a little kid again with all the newness and excitement!!

I tried to go raw several years ago, but the timing wasn't right...I just wasn't ready on so many levels. But I never forgot about my goal, and the time has finally come. I'm thrilled to finally be on this message board with all of you! I can't wait to hear your answers.

Thanks,

Amanda

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So Many Questions!!!
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 05, 2008 06:01AM

Amanda,

The only two cents that really matters is yours, at least as far as you are concerned!

Nuts: I don't soak or sprout my nuts. Other folks do, but I don't think its worth the trouble for the benefit. But then, I don't eat a lot of nuts, as they are pretty heavy.

Bars: I don't eat many bars either. They are very dehydrating for me, and I prefer to eat fresh fruits and vegetables.

Confusion: I would watch out for the fat intake. The transitional raw diet has a fat intake in excess of 60% of calories. A better target to start with is 20% fat.

Supplements: I don't take supplements, though many raw foodists do. This you have to see what works for you.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 05, 2008 06:27AM

Hi Amanda,

SUPPLEMENTS: what kind of supplements do raw vegans need? i am assuming B12 still needs to be supplemented, right? what about these powders with enzymes and probiotics and raw greens...how do you guys feel about those? any suggestions on what to look for in a powder? any brands you like/trust? and what is e3 live all about?

The only supplement I feel is necessary is B12. Probiotics may be necessary to help jump start the gut bacteria if they are zapped by anti-biotics or something but if a person is eating fresh raw vegan foods then the friendly bacteria in the gut are naturally going to flourish because that is what the friendly bacteria eat. Some people suggest taking Vitamin D supplements and that may be a good idea unless you are getting it from sunshine and your diet as I do by including Shiitake Mushrooms in my diet [en.wikipedia.org] . I don't use enzymes as they are included in the fresh raw foods I eat. I prefer to eat fresh raw whole foods rather then powders or anything that isn't natural.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2008 06:34AM by EZ rider.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 05, 2008 07:53AM

NUTS: I don't soak, but I can hardly afford these anymore.

BARS: I think they are a waste of time and money.

CONFUSION: everyone seems to have a different opinion about what ratio of protein, fat, and carbs should be consumed..

You need enough protein and fat to satisfy your EFA and essential amino requirements, which really isn't all that much if you are eating enough calories and choosing a wide variety of foods. Whether more than enough of each is optimal remains debatable but I think there is better evidence for not taking them in excess.

SUPPLEMENTS: what kind of supplements do raw vegans need?

B12. If you don't sun, D2 also.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 05, 2008 08:11AM

Firstly welcome

NUTS: If your going to eat them soak them if you have time, dont stress if you dont

I dont believe they are optimal food

BARS: Make your own, dont put your nutrition into a mass manufacturers hands!! Make your own and fresh if you want something "bar like"

CONFUSION: Dont restrict yourself when your first going raw. Agree with Brian, mistake most people make is eating every fat in sight. keep it low, lots of juicy fruit.

SUPPLEMENTS: I dont use any particular supplement. I take green powder when I have smoothies. Maca daily also.

You DONT need supplements

Would recommend a green powder if you cant get enough greens to start with!

If your worried about B12 take it, if you arent. Dont. simple.

Posted by: orangeflame ()
Date: May 05, 2008 03:24PM

Thanks so much to all of you for writing back!!

I'm starting to learn that doing this raw thing really doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg..and that there isn't as much of a need as i thought to buy a bunch of 'gear.'

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 05, 2008 04:41PM

Yes. I agree with the above great posts by Bryan...Dancer...and the others.

Nuts: You don't HAVE to sprout...especially in the beginning. Just try to reasonably CHOOSE your level of fats....and not just go hog wild.

Bars: Worry less about the word 'raw' and think 'fresh, unprocessed plant foods'. As pointed out, you can definitely make your own bars...if this helps you.

Supplements: If you are worried, supplement with whatever you wish....until you feel you don't need them. I have avoided them since finishing my transition...about 7 years ago.

-I think you won't have to consciously worry about your protein levels. Eat plenty of fresh greens.....and sprouts....and that would be WELL taken care of. Be more concerned with consciously regulating fat intakes....and the other items should take care of themselves.

-Just my opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: May 05, 2008 10:31PM

Hi,

nuts: I only sprout almonds for almond milk, the others I grind up into tiny bits for better digestion.

bars: if raw bars help you initially in the transition to raw than I say get some. But some mixed dried fruit, nut and seeds would be a better 'snacking' alternative. And fruit and veg the optimal choice.

supplements: i'm on some, but i'm seeing a naturopath, so i'm not sure what supplements are 'general'.

All the best and welcome to better health.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables