Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cacao vs Carob Powder
Posted by: sunshineTX ()
Date: May 06, 2008 11:57PM

For those of you who use these products, which one do you prefer and why would you use one over the other? I am interested in trying one of them for various recipes. Of course I don't know what recipies yet smiling smiley. I'm just trying to figure out what the main difference in the two products is so that I can figure out which one I would use the most. One is chocolate and one is a chocolate substitute? I guess you can tell I'm really confused...

Please enlighten me.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cacao vs Carob Powder
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 07, 2008 12:07AM

While there is some controversy over whether or not ground carob is really raw, the cacao has caffeine and more theobromine in it.

According to wikipedia:
Item Mean theobromine content (mg/g)
Cocoa 20.3
Carob products 0-0.504

Some really like chocolate so they stay with cacao. I heard that caffeine assists in loss of bladder control in later life. Personally, I have used carob over cocoa but it doesn't taste the same. Since raw, I've never used cacao, cacao nibs, etc.

I haven't eaten either of these for more than 2 years.

Good luck in your choice. Therese

Posted by: Lollipop ()
Date: May 07, 2008 01:53AM

I grew up with carob, and so I like the taste of it. Most people who haven't grown up with it don't seem to like it though - raw carob definitely does not taste like chocolate, and you will most likely be disappointed if you are expecting it to be similar. While I mostly use carob powder, if I am making something for others, I will generally use real chocolate.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 07, 2008 08:21AM

They are very different things. Carob has a fairly sweet flavour, I use it in combination with other sweeteners when I am making chocolate. It is not chocolate but does add to the flavour when used with cacao powder.

Cacao powder on its own is bitter and needs additional sweeteners, but it is what creates the true chocolate flavour.

It really depends on what you are making. Hope this helps.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 07, 2008 06:47PM

Plus there is the nutrition... Cacao is LOADED with magnesium and carob is not. I don't know what other good things carob has (I'm sure there are many), since I prefer cacao--cacao has antioxidants, flavonoids, MAOI, other chemicals that promote bliss in the brain. It doesn't taste bitter to me, just tastes like pure... chocolate. Mmm! I buy the nibs and then grind them in my food processor if I want a powder to add to smoothies. I also love to eat them plain.

There are some drawbacks to cacao, as well. Theobromine is a stimulant, so that may or may not be good depending on how you view the use of stimulants. The theobromine has also been shown to react negatively with people whose livers have trouble breaking it down (the liver is usually overburdened in some way to begin with--a lot of people have no adverse affects at all). There is also the possibility of getting a MOLDY supply. I have tasted moldy cacao. It's not fun.

I would say try them both! Cacao is lovely, in my opinion, but hopefully that gave you both sides of the coin. I eat it maybe once a week, and tend to back away if it makes me feel more wound up than content (that's my limit).

Posted by: northernstars ()
Date: May 07, 2008 07:23PM

I do have both carob and cacao, but choose to use carob almost exclusively because I have adrenal fatigue and cacao is just too stimulating! Now, I am not sure what to do with this big bag of raw cacao!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 07, 2008 07:35PM

S/b ok if you use only a little bit at a time. You can make chocolate pudding with avocado and coconut. Or chocolate ice cream with bananas and various nuts/seeds.

Back to the question I would use both, I like them both, they are different, but similar. But I don't buy them because they are both on the expensive side for me.

Posted by: sunshineTX ()
Date: May 07, 2008 10:58PM

Hey, thanks Therese, Lollipop, Rob, Phantom, northernstarts, and arugula!

You each provided enlightening information that has helped me to make my decision. I think I will splurge and buy them both! smiling smiley

This is my second attempt at going raw. Although I have continued to eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables for the last year or so, I've had a hard time staying with it to the degree I've wanted; my current goal is 75%; and when I reach that, I will reset my goal. I'm thinking following some of the recipes I've been reading will help. Maybe I can branch out from my fruit smoothie and salad rut. You know, make it a little more exciting!

Thanks again all, and have a wonderful day!

Date: May 08, 2008 02:14AM

Another plus for carob is that it is a good source of calcium!

1 Tablespoon of carob has 28 mg of calcium, or 358 mg for 1 cup. To compare, 1 cup of whole milk only has 276 mg of calcium, according to the USDA food database.

(Check out the following link to see what is in 1 tablespoon of carob: [www.nal.usda.gov])

Posted by: blake1970 ()
Date: May 08, 2008 03:38AM

I enjoy the whole beans that are already peeled for me although they aren't as moist as the non peeled type.

There is a place in canada that sells them for 10 dollars per lb and they are wonderful.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 08, 2008 04:31AM

I like to mix them. They are really good together. Carob supplies the sweet the cocoa needs.

Date: May 08, 2008 05:06AM

Where do you buy the whole beans from in Canada?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables